Travel Tipping

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers
I'm not talking about footy tipping, but a gratuity.

In Perth tipping really doesn't exist. I thought this thread could be used for advice and stories of tipping within Australia and overseas. It's hard to know what to do. If you are in a place where tipping is the norm, do it. Otherwise do what you want, a few examples of places I have been:

Norway: Don't tip, I'm told they get a good wage either way. They also don't ask for one.
Denmark: See Norway
Italy: Don't tip, this is a line ball. I have been all over Italy and have never been asked for a tip. But in the tourist areas they have a jar, perhaps for Americans?
Germany: Berlin, never tipped. Munich, they expect one of 5-15%. Don't tip unless you get exceptional service. The locals don't tip.

USA: I have never been there but know others who have and they have said it is a nightmare. Any US travellers got any advice?

In USA it is expected you tip 15% extra for taxi, food service.

Food service is expected because wait staff dont get paid s**t, they rely on their tips to live. Its expected regardless on whether you receive exception service or not.

The only place whereby you dont tip for food in US, is fast food resturants like McDonalds.

And if a porter handles your bag at a hotel, you're expected to give him at least $1 per bag.

Regarding your comment about Italy. I was in a cafe in Rome and the wait staff were very rude to me. I asked for the bill so I can finalise and leave and they ignored me. After 15 minutes, I complained and said that I am in a hurry and still got ignored. Finally after 20 minutes I stood to leave and left my cash on the table and the wait staff cracked the shits at me and wouldnt let me leave because I didnt wait for the bill to be presented and I didnt leave a tip.

I had heard about wait staff in USA having to rely on tips. Are the people working at McDonalds etc paid more?

Also, do they have cover charges in the US?

Yes, you have to be VERY careful in Italy about where you eat, especially in the tourist areas and more southern places (just an observation, don't want to start a North vs South war).

I spend ages on Trip Advisor looking for places to eat. Just look at the bad reviews, everyone gets a bad review bad if you see a trend avoid the place like the plague.

A couple of others:

UK: didn't tip, only rounded up a taxi fare once.
France: haven't spent that long there, didn't tip. Beware of taxis, got a quote for 20 Euro for a ride and they wanted 30 Euro at the end. I did notice the fare said 30 Euro so don't know what that was about. Anyway he only got 20, much to the drivers disgust. After telling the lady at the hotel about the experience apparently it is common.
Poland: didn't tip, feel I should have though as I think the people get paid poorly.

I had heard about wait staff in USA having to rely on tips. Are the people working at McDonalds etc paid more?

No, but it wouldn't really work. You don't have a designated server so somehow they'd have to divide it up between the 10 people working that shift. Plus, it's mostly an over-the-counter service. You don't tip somebody who rings up your clothes at a store for example.

Drivers, wait staff, barbers etc are generally what you're tipping. It ranges from 15-18% normally. Most debit/credit machines give you the option to select a tip by $ or %. Usually they say 15%, 18%, 20% or other but it can vary.

USA: I have never been there but know others who have and they have said it is a nightmare. Any US travellers got any advice?

The only issue I really had was I was tipping too much on my first holiday there, after that I just tipped what I wanted and didn't really care if anyone got offended. Usually your wallet fills up with a lot of dollar bills so it's a good way to get rid of them.

The last time in America was 2018 and I was at the staples centre getting a beer, they didn't have the beer I wanted so the lady said do you mind another brand and I said ok, I thought to myself I won't give a tip as it wasn't the the one I wanted. Well she rolled her eyes good at me when I handed over the exact amount without a tip haha!

Regarding your comment about Italy. I was in a cafe in Rome and the wait staff were very rude to me. I asked for the bill so I can finalise and leave and they ignored me. After 15 minutes, I complained and said that I am in a hurry and still got ignored. Finally after 20 minutes I stood to leave and left my cash on the table and the wait staff cracked the shits at me and wouldnt let me leave because I didnt wait for the bill to be presented and I didnt leave a tip.

A few European countries have reputations of poor service and usually making you wait 15-20 minutes to get served or get a bill.

Spain is the worse from what I have experienced and I have heard Belgium is bad as well.

A few European countries have reputations of poor service and usually making you wait 15-20 minutes to get served or get a bill.

Spain is the worse from what I have experienced and I have heard Belgium is bad as well.

Parts of Italy are quite bad, anywhere near a landmark and in some cities packed with tourists. Try getting service in Naples, even the locals complain!

I have been around a lot of regional and remote areas of Italy and service is usually fine, despite the occasional language barrier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back