Autopsy Rd 3 Insipid Loss to Carlton (Be Civil)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well the rebuild has been a complete and utter failure then.
Probs, but we've got rid of a lot of staff too.
Time for Bell to go IMO, and get someone in from Vic that is a career footy list person.
Not an ex Freo player, who has dabbled in property (badly), dabbled in hospitality (badly) and done media (better).
Need a Gubby Allen or someone like that IMO

It was all half arsed
I am interested in these comments.

What does a successful rebuild look like? Who has performed one over the last 20 years? What were its characteristics?

We definitely messed up with the Hogan trade and it has cost us, but I don't know if that means we did the rebuild wrong.

The best clubs don't seem to rebuild these days.

What does a successful rebuild look like
?

It's whatever works....and that varies
I mean WC traded for Tim Kelly with a king's ransom, but they had Allen, Ryan in the sheds who were projecting as elite.
If Kelly came home and performed like Des Headland would they be a success? As it is they have a ready replacement for Shuey, and will next year look for another Kennedy replacement knowing that Allen is already doing the job.

If we'd taken Naughton with the Cerra pick and King the next year instead of Hogan that would probably be a success.

What does a successful rebuild look like? Who has performed one over the last 20 years? What were its characteristics?

We definitely messed up with the Hogan trade and it has cost us, but I don't know if that means we did the rebuild wrong.

Successful clubs are always building for the future. Draft picks are irrelevant and they have a good enough culture to back their development in even though they may not recruit high draft picks. We currently don’t have this.

Seems like anytime the players are either not completely focused or are under pressure they revert back to their old systems that were drummed in and therefore more automatic. It is going to take some time it seems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that worries me is Lachie Schultz in the pre season games said that we were miles ahead of where we were last year in implementing the game plan and yet here we are. Is the game plan already irrelevant because this is of great concern.

The thing that worries me is Lachie Schultz in the pre season games said that we were miles ahead of where we were last year in implementing the game plan and yet here we are. Is the game plan already irrelevant because this is of great concern.
Not under pressure it isn't. Gws were witches hats. Carlton hadn't played for 10 days and were jumping out of their skins and saw a young inexperienced midfield and squashed us.

Wish we just took Neale in the draft instead of trading up for O’Driscoll
West coast were desperate to get O’Driscoll. The Age reported a few days later that they called Collingwood at pick 26 offering next years second rounder for their pick 27 to get him. That was the reason why we had to pay pick 30 and next years third rounder to jump to 27 for Noddy.
So if west coast are so amazing as everyone is saying here - Noddy will be a gun as they wanted him very badly too.

Well when we played against a no-pressure GWS the ball movement looked good.

And in the last Q or so vs Carlton, the pressure around the ball came off, the game opened up, guys like Cerra hit some inside kicks and we pretty much broke even (for what that was worth)

So I suppose you can say that there is a game plan that is OK ... when the planets align and there is no pressure. I'm sure it looks mint on the training track.

But it doesn't amount to a hill of beans until they can due it against motivated opposition. And i think that means there is still a hell of a lot of work to do.

We're certainly jumpy.

Besides the fact that rebuild's not an actual thing, I'd not be writing anything off yet. I didn't see the average age difference yesterday, but we're looking at young players to drive some very key positions. Collectively it can misfire and consistency is less likely.

Also I've not seen as much scrutiny and advice thrown at one side 2 games in, it was a lot of fuel for the cartoon coaching group.

For me it's a small sample size as far as this year goes.

We're certainly jumpy.

Besides the fact that rebuild's not an actual thing, I'd not be writing anything off yet. I didn't see the average age difference yesterday, but we're looking at young players to drive some very key positions. Collectively it can misfire and consistency is less likely.

Also I've not seen as much scrutiny and advice thrown at one side 2 games in, it was a lot of fuel for the cartoon coaching group.

For me it's a small sample size as far as this year goes.
Im pretty sure they were the 4th oldest team this round and we were the 4th youngest

I understand your reasoning about Blakely and I agree about the kids versus bigger bodies being a key fundamental point in yesterdays loss but I think one of the things is that looking again at the team and I thought we had the right mix of players available in the team - I disagree there was nothing we could have done on the day.

One of the things I struggle with is (regardless of Blakely in or out) we already had/have Acres (and to a lesser extent Aish and Conca, although he is just an experienced body not large) in the side; why was he not able to use his relative position of experience and significant size (comparable to Cripps) to address that issue as it arose? surely that has to be one of the key strengths he brings to the team? And I don't think it is just a case of him not performing but also not being played in the best position for the game situation; why would we not have moved him into the centre square if a guy like Cripps is bashing up our younger midfielders in that area of the ground? I get that he is not talent-wise in the best four or five midfielders, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be played in the centre when the game situation calls for it.

The same goes for the use of Conca; I reckon he could have done something about Walsh; I understand that compromises the defence of Betts but that is surely a risk worth taking in that situation?
The onus was on Cerra to stop Walsh or at least demand more of the ball, he failed and moving Conca out of defense wouldn't have helped the result.

It's just a miserable game on our part. The issue for me is that if we are poor in the middle our under-manned back and forward line cannot help us at the moment.

Tabs/Lobb/Treacy and we look a lot better in the forward line.

Fyfe playing 50% midfield and we look better. I'm move Conca out of defence and into the midfield when we get Logue back.

I believe the selection team just underestimated just how hard the Blues would come out in the midfield and should have played Blakely in there esp. with Fyfe out.

I don't believe in the keep a 'winning' side, the next opposition has different challenges.

Umm, they are kids and Carlton are big bodies... Nothing we can do about that. Doesn't mean Brayshaw/Cerra/Serong won't be good, we are just seeing the ups and downs. Unfortunately we need another veteran mid (Tucker) in there and why I actually wanted Blakely to stay in the side, he would have bashed and crashed in there.
Treacy should’ve came in, and Blakely staying to take Fyfe’s spot. Colyer out. But we went with speed and got bullied inside. That’s why JLo needs to win at the selection table. What’s the use of Blakely for Peel?
Another take is Conca has to come into the midfield at some point. Perhaps once Logue gets back?

We will probably win next week with a makeshift team missing a heap but they will be fired up after a media pasting all week. Then we will be over in Adelaide and the likes of Logue and Crowden and Tucker will probably be available. Jlo will be like “I want to get some consistency in selection Im not changing anything” 😫😫😫
We will take the field in Adelaide oval with half a dozen spuds again and lose. Throw in a couple of injuries to non-spud important players.
Rinse and repeat every 2 weeks.

More likely he got ahead of himself and thought the team were ahead of where they actually are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back