Autopsy Play the kids they said, it will be good they said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheezNuts

Premium Gold
Jul 23, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon watching a developing team is a lot more exciting when there is a potential young gun forward running around. Or two. Without that, not only is it hard to get excited about the future, it’s hard to see where this rebuild is heading.

I’m not just talking about a young Carey or Longmire type. Even a young Petrie or Brown would make it more interesting to watch

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree completely. Would add a lot of excitement. Really unfortunate that Comben got injured before the season. The club seems to have massive wraps on him.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon watching a developing team is a lot more exciting when there is a potential young gun forward running around. Or two. Without that, not only is it hard to get excited about the future, it’s hard to see where this rebuild is heading.

I’m not just talking about a young Carey or Longmire type. Even a young Petrie or Brown would make it more interesting to watch

Xerri might have to do for this season, hopefully starting next week

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
why does the Ziebell experiment have to end?

his goal kicking has left him and he’s just starting to hit his grove with career best stats, And you want to subject him to going back to the negative mindset that he had?

I don’t get it.. better option is to find another forward capable.
I’d be moving JZ up to half forward to at least contest. Breaking down really badly across half forward

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But cant kick a footy.. fu**in de list josh walker now.. fu** him off. What was the spray Rocket gave Minson? Thats what should happen with Walker, the big *******
Would be ok if he could mark it and dish off to decent users but he’s handing it to Atley and co back there. Pointless exercise

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ziebell had 33 Disposals at 94% DE.

Ball use out of the backline is so critical in the current game & he is currently our only defender that can consistently execute in this area.

Moving him into our forward line to rot and get 8 Disposals is a shocking call. We need him down back more then we do down forward, especially without Mcdonald, Tarrant & Corr. The bonus being he can actually contribute as a defender, whereas Wayne Carey would struggle to influence in our forward line currently.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Ball use out of the backline is so critical in the current game & he is currently our only defender that can consistently execute in this area.

Moving him into our forward line to rot and get 8 Disposals is a shocking call. We need him down back more then we do down forward, especially without Mcdonald, Tarrant & Corr. The bonus being he can actually contribute as a defender, whereas Wayne Carey would struggle to influence in our forward line currently.
Yeh... he isnt bad down there with ball in hand. As a defender im still not sold mate. Just ****ed with injuries to key personnel

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Eggzachary.

A team like the following would be ideal right now:

B: Atley – Tarrant – Corr
HB: McDonald – McKay – Ziebell
C: Scott – Cunnington – Polec
HF: Thomas –Larkey – Stephenson
F: Zurhaar – Xerri – Turner
R: Goldstein – LDU – Simpkin
Int: Anderson – Powell – Phillips – Dumont

8 blokes with under 50 games, a defensive unit with excellent experience, a nice blend of youth and experience through the middle and an inexperienced forward line.

Such a line up with give us the opportunity to rotate through some young blokes and rely on Tyson and Hall as some extra experience, rather than relying on kids to hold the fort.
Excellent measured post without the extra emotional drivel. The weekends game was as bad as it gets, but i reckon once polly and jed were done it would have been our youngest side on the pitch in 3 decades. There will be some more ordinary performances this year, but a few of our older players will return and make us infinitely more competitive than the creche we had running around friday

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He has been great down there. Ball use is career best

sutcliffe's hotel

Premium Platinum
Oct 30, 2005
Brisbanistan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Stunned that Good Friday was our biggest loss since 1984. Feel like I’ve sat through worse.

Absolutely clear to all in Sunbury what lies ahead, not much of it for the feint of heart. Keep playing to the structure & introducing as many of our youth as possible. I trust Noble & co have the nous to ensure any heavy losses do not scar the players and our focus remains on committing to developing a team for sustained success.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au

People on here were laughing at the hawks a couple of years back , with no tall forwards but now have Lewis and kosi up there. While we only have larkey.

He had about 3-4 decisive kicks that opened up play , the rest were chips to the pocket or long kicks to a pack.
Jack falling to the ground time after time doesn’t help.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
brad scott may've not played the kids as frequently as ppl thought he should've, but at least when he did we were still competitive.

3rd round in and being competitive up until qtr time isn't a positive when the team throws the towel in at half time and lets their opponents run a muck.

these complete rebuilds have NEVER worked in the past, and pointing to melbourne and carlton as examples of successful rebuilds is delirious. they have losing cultures and even over half a decade into their rebuilds they don't look like threatening for a flag...now we're fast tracking North to be the same.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
brad scott may've not played the kids as frequently as ppl thought he should've, but at least when he did we were still competitive.

3rd round in and being competitive up until qtr time isn't a positive when the team throws the towel in at half time and lets their opponents run a muck.

these complete rebuilds have NEVER worked in the past, and pointing to melbourne and carlton as examples of successful rebuilds is delirious. they have losing cultures and even over half a decade into their rebuilds they don't look like threatening for a flag...now we're fast tracking North to be the same.

Curious as to what you think does work?

Rolling out the "Melbourne" & "Carlton" card after 3 games into a rebuild is premature for mine. Those clubs were shocking for a sustained period of multiple years. Carlton had 5 wooden spoons between 2002 & 2018. We haven't even had 1.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Rolling out the "Melbourne" & "Carlton" card after 3 games into a rebuild is premature for mine. Those clubs were shocking for a sustained period of multiple years. Carlton had 5 wooden spoons between 2005 & 2018. We haven't even had 1.

carlton and melbourne took tanking to the extreme and it's all showing how it stuffed them.

you can't throw this many kids into the deep end and get absolutely demolished week in week out - at least a little competitiveness, snag some wins against top 8 teams and still finish bottom 4 or 5 for 2-3 years.

getting a draft hand 3-4 picks better but getting no wins for the year, destroying player confidence in the coach, club and themselves is far worse.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
carlton and melbourne took tanking to the extreme and it's all showing how it stuffed them.

you can't throw this many kids into the deep end and get absolutely demolished week in week out - at least a little competitiveness, snag some wins against top 8 teams and still finish bottom 4 or 5 for 2-3 years.

getting a draft hand 3-4 picks better but getting no wins for the year, destroying player confidence in the coach, club and themselves is far worse.

Sydney played a younger 22 then us on the weekend.

No one is suggesting we go the Carlton/Melbourne route. I personally don't think we have.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Rolling out the "Melbourne" & "Carlton" card after 3 games into a rebuild is premature for mine. Those clubs were shocking for a sustained period of multiple years. Carlton had 5 wooden spoons between 2002 & 2018. We haven't even had 1.

For me the Port and Brisbane mode is feasible. I would say Sydney but their academy makes it hard to determine whether or not their development system works.

Aside from McLuggage, Brisbane's midfield isn't riddled with top 5 draft picks. Neale was traded in, Zorko was traded for a pick in the 30s, Lyons was a delisted pick up, Berry was a late first rounder.

For Port, they have a good mix of older heads as well as attacking particular drafts hard.

Neither of those clubs went full rock bottom rebuild. Brisbane were in the doldrums for a fair bit but the strength in their midfield came from astute pick ups, trades and later picks that could have just as easily been done without being s**t.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For me the Port and Brisbane mode is feasible. I would say Sydney but their academy makes it hard to determine whether or not their development system works.

Aside from McLuggage, Brisbane's midfield isn't riddled with top 5 draft picks. Neale was traded in, Zorko was traded for a pick in the 30s, Lyons was a delisted pick up, Berry was a late first rounder.

For Port, they have a good mix of older heads as well as attacking particular drafts hard.

Neither of those clubs went full rock bottom rebuild. Brisbane were in the doldrums for a fair bit but the strength in their midfield came from astute pick ups, trades and later picks that could have just as easily been done without being sh*t.

I expect that the Brisbane model is what we will go for.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
played a younger 22 then us on the weekend
Not by much, and they had 80 games more experience.
The contrast in teams is stark and sends thoughts back to you-know-who and our list issues.
We had 7 players 28 and over, but that included what I would describe as 3 journeymen - Hall, Atley, Walker. Swans had 5 with 2 - Hickey and Reid. And that's maybe being unkind to Reid, while let's face it you can get away with a journeyman ruck.
Meanwhile in the 24-27 bracket we've got just two - Anderson and Turner. There's been enough commentary on Turner so I'll just leave that. Swans have 6 including the likes of Mills, Heeney, Papley and Hewett.
That leaves us with 14 under 24 (9 under 22) and Swans with 12 (8). Good news is we've definitely got some talent there - more than the Swans I'd say - but it's a question of whether they live up to that potential or not.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not by much, and they had 80 games more experience.
The contrast in teams is stark and sends thoughts back to you-know-who and our list issues.
We had 7 players 28 and over, but that included what I would describe as 3 journeymen - Hall, Atley, Walker. Swans had 5 with 2 - Hickey and Reid. And that's maybe being unkind to Reid, while let's face it you can get away with a journeyman ruck.
Meanwhile in the 24-27 bracket we've got just two - Anderson and Turner. There's been enough commentary on Turner so I'll just leave that. Swans have 6 including the likes of Mills, Heeney, Papley and Hewett.
That leaves us with 14 under 24 (9 under 22) and Swans with 12 (8). Good news is we've definitely got some talent there - more than the Swans I'd say - but it's a question of whether they live up to that potential or not.

Correct. My point was more in response to this narrative that we are "playing too many kids". They are not the problem & this belief that we'd be better off if we didn't cull 12 players last year is just wrong IMO.

Our 22 will become more balanced when/if our injury list sorts itself out & we are able to put better senior players around the kids (Corr, Tarrant, Anderson etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back