Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

SimToo

Draftee
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know they won today, but that was extremely mediocre. Even before Higgins got injured, they moved the ball at a snail's pace and look miles off the better teams in the competition right now. The new rules do nothing to help them either, their senior citizens are struggling to keep up the pace. Their coach is also very negative-minded, and doesn't seem too keen on changing his ways.

A lot of people consider the loss against Adelaide as an anomaly, but Adelaide are a fast team. Even with their inexperience, I'm not surprised Geelong struggled that game.

They have Jeremy Cameron and a 31 year old Dangerfield to come back, but I'm not convinced that is anywhere near enough to be contenders this year.

Last edited:

Yeah. Something is wrong. Guthrie shouldn’t get any votes for today either. 43 possessions. 20 kicks. 161m gained. 4m per possession, really???

they * around with the ball too much as well. The more explosive teams will murder them

Yes but you lost to Adelaide, you only won against Brisbane because of a really bad umpiring non-call and you just barely beat a team expected to finish bottom 4 by the skin of your teeth. This was a paper over the cracks game, and Geelong are not playing like a premiership contender should be.

Yes but you lost to Adelaide, you only won against Brisbane because of a really bad umpiring non-call and you just barely beat a team expected to finish bottom 4 by the skin of your teeth. This was a paper over the cracks game, and Geelong are not playing like a premiership contender should be.
It's April. Early April.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s what the ladder shows but what the reality is 2 losses and 1 win over a bottom four Hawthorn
Reality is 2 wins 1 loss and no one is going to give a rats how we won those games if we're lucky enough to make it to the business end of the season. Happens every year, people read so much into early season form. We could improve massively, we could fall in a hole, the truth is nobody knows.

Yes, and Geelong have a chance to change, but unless Geelong speed up their game, moving the ball faster then they won't be winning the premiership. I mean they could end up doing just that, but it is something that needs to happen.
It won’t happen because we have a stubborn mule as a coach. I remember you guys knocking us off by 110 in 2014 or so & on current form that’s my expectation of our match against you in a couple weeks time.

It won’t happen because we have a stubborn mule as a coach. I remember you guys knocking us off by 110 in 2014 or so & on current form that’s my expectation of our match against you in a couple weeks time.

I used to think Horse was as stubborn as well, a horse, but he completely proved me wrong in the last 10 months or so. It is possible for Scott to change.

It's April. Early April.
Are you expecting the senior citizens to kick up the pace later in the season?

I'm not even worried about playing Geelong, we would've beaten you comfortably last year had our coach not been stupid enough to neglect the ruck.

Reality is 2 wins 1 loss and no one is going to give a rats how we won those games if we're lucky enough to make it to the business end of the season. Happens every year, people read so much into early season form. We could improve massively, we could fall in a hole, the truth is nobody knows.
So? What's wrong with speculating?

They're old and look slow right now, and the game is only getting faster. I fully expect West Coast, the Bulldogs, Richmond and Sydney to dispatch Geelong comfortably.

Are you expecting the senior citizens to kick up the pace later in the season?

I'm not even worried about playing Geelong, we would've beaten you comfortably last year had our coach not been stupid enough to neglect the ruck.
We normally start the first half of the season like a house on fire and slow down at the latter parts of the year, so fingers crossed we're working in reverse this time around. We're sitting 2-1 with some handy players like Dangerfield, Cameron and Menegola to come back in, so I'm not putting a line through us just yet.

So? What's wrong with speculating?

They're old and look slow right now, and the game is only getting faster. I fully expect West Coast, the Bulldogs, Richmond and Sydney to dispatch Geelong comfortably.
Reading too much into early season form is a fools errand, and I'm not just referring to Geelong's performances thus far, but every team in the competition. It's a long season after all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back