AFL Player #19: Nick Hind

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes it’s moments like this where Dodoro’s brilliance shines ha ha

I know he let Hind get to St K but with Saad & McKenna we didn’t need him in this role then - and we would have had to use too high a pick to nab him before the Saints. Got the right guy at value at the right time. I was taking the piss a little at the top but credit where it’s due

For that matter, the Cox, Perkins, Jones show has a glow to it right now too. Not to mention Ridley’s emergence. Jackets is loving 2021

Shows leadership group potential. That chase down set a standard of effort for the whole team.
A 24 game veteran who is only going to get better.

Hind is not better than Saad, at least not 3 games into his Essendon career. Selective memories.

Saad has years of consistency under his belt. One of the most damaging players in the game when he's at his best. Also one of the best one-on-one defenders.

Hind is a good player and could be the find of the trade period, but he has to produce that level at a consistent level for me to compare him to Saad.

Hind is not better than Saad, at least not 3 games into his Essendon career. Selective memories.

Saad has years of consistency under his belt. One of the most damaging players in the game when he's at his best. Also one of the best one-on-one defenders.

Hind is a good player and could be the find of the trade period, but he has to produce that level at a consistent level for me to compare him to Saad.
Hind is not better than Saad 2 years ago for sure. But this and even last year I felt he lost a little of his top pace and got into bad habits with kicking. You’re right maybe it’s my selective memory and I love Saad but Hind has been VERY good so far and I really don’t feel like we’ve lost anything from what Saad was last year. In some ways I’m happier because of the better decision making by foot.

This might be true, but watching Saad without wearing the rose-coloured-glasses it is amazing the amount of times his scintillating runs end with him just throwing the ball on the boot. Hind seems to be purposeful about his attacking runs and doesn't seem to care how many running bounces he has, as long as the ball goes to an Essendon player in a better position.

Saad being one of our 'best players' may have been perpetuating a problem.

Hind is not better than Saad 2 years ago for sure. But this and even last year I felt he lost a little of his top pace and got into bad habits with kicking. You’re right maybe it’s my selective memory and I love Saad but Hind has been VERY good so far and I really don’t feel like we’ve lost anything from what Saad was last year. In some ways I’m happier because of the better decision making by foot.
Saad wasn't as offensively damaging last year because none of our forwards/mids were running into space off the ball to provide an option, which is where he picked up the habit of bombing. I think people forget how good he was for us. Probably our most reliable player alongside Merrett.

Our work off the ball and running patterns have drastically improved this year, which benefits Hind. I'm very happy with Hind so far so I can't fault his game. The perfect replacement for Saad. Hoping he has his consistency.

This might be true, but watching Saad without wearing the rose-coloured-glasses it is amazing the amount of times his scintillating runs end with him just throwing the ball on the boot. Hind seems to be purposeful about his attacking runs and doesn't seem to care how many running bounces he has, as long as the ball goes to an Essendon player in a better position.

Saad being one of our 'best players' may have been perpetuating a problem.
He hasn't played his best football at Carlton yet. Down in form. Saad at his best though is an offensive machine, particularly if he uses his run like he did back in 2018-2019. We'll see how he goes, but I'm very very very happy with Hind.

Regardless of whether he is better or worse than Saad, I think we can all agree that we are getting similar output for a far lower price.

Moneyball anyone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to admit...I was a solid doubter, but I have been pleasantly surprised so far - particularly with the guts he showed on the weekend.
Saad is probably a better player, but there's something to be said for a player that wants to do what he can for the club, and who seems to be popular amongst the lads. I think the status quo has been maintained.
He’s a very likeable footballer - he leaves everything on the field and the boys clearly love him.

He has won me over - I always get sentimental about the blokes who look like they’d die for the jumper. Kyle Hardingham would still be getting a game of it was up to me....

Not really interested in comparing them but I'll take a hard worker with a team mentality over talent with an individual streak 8 days of the week. (although I do recognise Saad has a great work ethic)

Saad wasn't as offensively damaging last year because none of our forwards/mids were running into space off the ball to provide an option, which is where he picked up the habit of bombing. I think people forget how good he was for us. Probably our most reliable player alongside Merrett.

Our work off the ball and running patterns have drastically improved this year, which benefits Hind. I'm very happy with Hind so far so I can't fault his game. The perfect replacement for Saad. Hoping he has his consistency.

He hasn't played his best football at Carlton yet. Down in form. Saad at his best though is an offensive machine, particularly if he uses his run like he did back in 2018-2019. We'll see how he goes, but I'm very very very happy with Hind.
Who cares.Saad is good but he is gone. Hind is good and he is with us.

Really happy with Hind so far, I was a big fan of his when he was with the VFL team and was disappointed we weren't able to slot him onto the senior list at the time.

I also look forward to the day (probably in vain) where we won't be endlessly locked into comparing him with Saad. He's gone, move on.

Completely agree. Hind has been great but is still a flash in the pan by comparison. People need to calm their farms a bit. If he's the same or better in a couple of seasons, then we're talking Saad levels.

Really happy with Hind so far, I was a big fan of his when he was with the VFL team and was disappointed we weren't able to slot him onto the senior list at the time.

I also look forward to the day (probably in vain) where we won't be endlessly locked into comparing him with Saad. He's gone, move on.
Would you say, that when Hind left us, he left us better than the way Saad left us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back