News Draft Prospects 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes TigermanM2, i'm all in as well for clean skills and pace
Our 1st pick either way will give us that, i'm 99% sure it won't be Prespakis and 75% Rowbottom, unless we do some sort of dream trade to GC or Geelong
Tara Slender who can play anywhere (KPP & midfield) would be our ideal 1st pick and then Tahlia Gillard (Calder Cannons) a tall KPP or another mid
Stella Reid (Oakleigh Chargers) or Ella Friend (GWV Rebels) as our 2nd pick
Jorja Livingstone (Eastern Ranges) as a father/daughter would round out our selections very nicely

After watching the Vic Metro and Vic Country game there is little doubt Prespakis will go pick 1. Surely he is bigger than 168. That said, I'm not that impressed with her kicking as she constantly hits the belly of the ball - a lot of work to do with that, but she has a lot to work with. She is a better athlete than her sister it would seem. She just cracks in. She reads the play well and is in constant motion for a lot of the game. OK, we won't get her, but not that big an issue.

Rowbottom is a lot like Prespakis for mine, at the moment. Bigger, I think she has better upside maybe, so I see where someone else is coming from when he said something similar. Another player who is a little careless with her kicking, but is tenacious at ground level and brings others into the game better than Prespakis. That's about the main difference I took away from that game.

Tara Slender was the pick of the three even though her stats said otherwise maybe. Slender has massive upside - a really good kick, great attack on the ball, very good overhead, and one of those really infectious characters you love to have around the team from what I saw off the ground as well. Fro that game, I really liked Emilia Yassir. All her skills are neat already, one of the shortest in the Metro Squad at 160, but she knows where players are around her and hits them up by hand or foot. If she is still there at pick2, grab her - think a much neater Hannah Burchell.

Was really sad for Amber Clarke doing her knee so early (any time really!). She is under age I think but played up - she looked pretty good early and I hear has great upside. Hope she recovers quickly. The Rays girls showed up well for Country, the teamwork beat a better team of individuals. Really disappointed with the game Aurora Smith - started that game brilliantly, but was never near the ball after that - always on the unused wing - and when near didn't go in and waited on the outside - it never came out her way. It was just one game but did look a slower than the others for someone who gets so much of it usually.

We were stuck in concrete boots in 2020 and whilst we addressed the problem in part this year adding a few players with better pace, what really killed us at times were the fumbles. You can't move the ball quickly if you haven't got it and the top teams were just so much cleaner with the ball.

All for picking up anyone with pace and is clean. AFLW is only going to get quicker and quicker

Great observation and worth coming back to whenever weighing up any player

Vic Country V Vic Metro - Vic Country won by a few goals.

Prespakis - 32 disposals, 10 clearances
Robottom 21 disposals.

We need to trade with Geelong to get the 1st draft pick (Victorian) - Prespakis could help lead us into finals next year.

Every Victorian team will be throwing the kitchen sink at Geelong to get hold of Prespakis. We'll have to offer one of our All Australian type players plus pick 3 tp get her. Almost no chance we do that.

After watching the Vic Metro and Vic Country game there is little doubt Prespakis will go pick 1. Surely he is bigger than 168. That said, I'm not that impressed with her kicking as she constantly hits the belly of the ball - a lot of work to do with that, but she has a lot to work with. She is a better athlete than her sister it would seem. She just cracks in. She reads the play well and is in constant motion for a lot of the game. OK, we won't get her, but not that big an issue.

Rowbottom is a lot like Prespakis for mine, at the moment. Bigger, I think she has better upside maybe, so I see where someone else is coming from when he said something similar. Another player who is a little careless with her kicking, but is tenacious at ground level and brings others into the game better than Prespakis. That's about the main difference I took away from that game.

Tara Slender was the pick of the three even though her stats said otherwise maybe. Slender has massive upside - a really good kick, great attack on the ball, very good overhead, and one of those really infectious characters you love to have around the team from what I saw off the ground as well. Fro that game, I really liked Emilia Yassir. All her skills are neat already, one of the shortest in the Metro Squad at 160, but she knows where players are around her and hits them up by hand or foot. If she is still there at pick2, grab her - think a much neater Hannah Burchell.

Was really sad for Amber Clarke doing her knee so early (any time really!). She is under age I think but played up - she looked pretty good early and I hear has great upside. Hope she recovers quickly. The Rays girls showed up well for Country, the teamwork beat a better team of individuals. Really disappointed with the game Aurora Smith - started that game brilliantly, but was never near the ball after that - always on the unused wing - and when near didn't go in and waited on the outside - it never came out her way. It was just one game but did look a slower than the others for someone who gets so much of it usually.

Thanks for the great write up Phar Ace
How did Stella Reid & Jorja Livingstone go?

Did you watch the two games today? Vic Country won easily by the way

Yes, I watched them both. (Prespakis was named best for Vic Metro and J Anthony for Vic Country)
I'm confused, I said that Vic Country won by a few goals?? Isn't 24 points (4 goals) considered a few unless I'm missing something?

Sarah Black’s match report

VIC METRO 0.2 2.5 2.7 3.8 (26)
VIC COUNTRY 2.0 4.0 6.2 8.2 (50)
GOALS
Vic Metro: Reid 2, Staltari,
Vic Country: Schaap 2, Scott 2, Snell, Tierney, Slender
BEST
Vic Metro: Prespakis, Reid, Chaplin, Yassir, Delgardo, Vickers
Vic Country: Anthony, Lee, McRae, Leonard, Schaap

Vic Country kicked clear of an inaccurate Vic Metro, defeating their rivals by 24 points.

Coached by retired Cat Melissa Hickey, Country defended brilliantly and connected well across the ground in the 8.2 (50) to 3.8 (26) win.

Lively small forward Poppy Schaap got Country off to a perfect start, the Geelong Falcon snapping two clean goals in the opening term.

Metro came to life in the second term, driven by Charlie Rowbottom, Georgie Prespakis and Emilia Yassir out of the middle.

But the connection to the forward line was lacking, and in the times when Metro had a clear shot at goal, they struggled with conversion.

Top-age Country forward Renee Tierney slotted a beautiful set shot from the boundary in the third, while bottom-ager Paige Scott (pictured) was a constant threat in attack.

o1s1i4M4.jpg

Paige Scott (centre) celebrates one of her two goals against Vic Metro.

Prespakis, the potential first pick in the Victorian draft, had 19 touches in the first half (20-minute quarters) and finished with 32, 10 clearances and five tackles.

The overhead marking and agility of Country's key forward Tara Slender stood out whole Grace McRae (22 touches), Nyakoat Dojiok and Annie Lee controlled play in defence.

For Metro, tall midfielder Rowbottom (the sister of Sydney's James) was tough to stop coming out of the centre, Stella Reid (22 touches, six inside 50s, two goals) was in the best, while 19-year-old Brooke Vickers was strong coming out of defence.

Sarah Black’s match report

VIC METRO 0.2 2.5 2.7 3.8 (26)
VIC COUNTRY 2.0 4.0 6.2 8.2 (50)
GOALS
Vic Metro: Reid 2, Staltari,
Vic Country: Schaap 2, Scott 2, Snell, Tierney, Slender
BEST
Vic Metro: Prespakis, Reid, Chaplin, Yassir, Delgardo, Vickers
Vic Country: Anthony, Lee, McRae, Leonard, Schaap

Vic Country kicked clear of an inaccurate Vic Metro, defeating their rivals by 24 points.

Coached by retired Cat Melissa Hickey, Country defended brilliantly and connected well across the ground in the 8.2 (50) to 3.8 (26) win.

Lively small forward Poppy Schaap got Country off to a perfect start, the Geelong Falcon snapping two clean goals in the opening term.

Metro came to life in the second term, driven by Charlie Rowbottom, Georgie Prespakis and Emilia Yassir out of the middle.

But the connection to the forward line was lacking, and in the times when Metro had a clear shot at goal, they struggled with conversion.

Top-age Country forward Renee Tierney slotted a beautiful set shot from the boundary in the third, while bottom-ager Paige Scott (pictured) was a constant threat in attack.

o1s1i4M4.jpg

Paige Scott (centre) celebrates one of her two goals against Vic Metro.

Prespakis, the potential first pick in the Victorian draft, had 19 touches in the first half (20-minute quarters) and finished with 32, 10 clearances and five tackles.

The overhead marking and agility of Country's key forward Tara Slender stood out whole Grace McRae (22 touches), Nyakoat Dojiok and Annie Lee controlled play in defence.

For Metro, tall midfielder Rowbottom (the sister of Sydney's James) was tough to stop coming out of the centre, Stella Reid (22 touches, six inside 50s, two goals) was in the best, while 19-year-old Brooke Vickers was strong coming out of defence.

Considering the amount of gun Geelong Falcons players Tess Craven, Annie Lee, Poppy Schaap, Renee Tierney, Elizabeth Dowling, i have a sneaky suspicion that the Cats will definitely look to trade pick 1 Vic regiom, so they can have 3 picks in the 1st round
They'd be mad not to, as a 1st round draft haul of Tess Craven, Annie Lee, Poppy Schaap would be huge for them
It'll be interesting to see which club want's Georgie Prespakis bad enough, my favorite at the moment would be Carlton with Pick No 5 (2 Prepakis sisters playing together) and maybe give up a player like Lucy McEvoy or similar to sweeten the deal
I really don't think Saints or the Tigers would care that much as their next 2 picks No 2 & No 3 will still be elite players, Bulldogs No 4 probably not as they have enough top 10 picks on their list, Kangas No 6, Demons No 7 and Pies No 8 are top 4 teams and wouldn't really need to

Yes, I watched them both. (Prespakis was named best for Vic Metro and J Anthony for Vic Country)
I'm confused, I said that Vic Country won by a few goals?? Isn't 24 points (4 goals) considered a few unless I'm missing something?

Perhaps, but a few is generally 3, but it always felt like more, don't think Vic Metro ever got back in the game despite really dominating ground ball, Country ran the ball more cleanly kicking to good spots - a few goals, easily, it's moot really - Vic Country won and we both agree ;) :D

Considering the amount of gun Geelong Falcons players Tess Craven, Annie Lee, Poppy Schaap, Renee Tierney, Elizabeth Dowling, i have a sneaky suspicion that the Cats will definitely look to trade pick 1 Vic regiom, so they can have 3 picks in the 1st round
They'd be mad not to, as a 1st round draft haul of Tess Craven, Annie Lee, Poppy Schaap would be huge for them
It'll be interesting to see which club want's Georgie Prespakis bad enough, my favorite at the moment would be Carlton with Pick No 5 (2 Prepakis sisters playing together) and maybe give up a player like Lucy McEvoy or similar to sweeten the deal
I really don't think Saints or the Tigers would care that much as their next 2 picks No 2 & No 3 will still be elite players, Bulldogs No 4 probably not as they have enough top 10 picks on their list, Kangas No 6, Demons No 7 and Pies No 8 are top 4 teams and wouldn't really need to

I think your right Stan. Albeit trading pick No.1 is a massive decision. We did it for Conti and that is on track to be the right decision, however, their was no Prespakis available in that draft.

Seems like Rowbottom and Slender are firming for Victoria pick 2 and 3 and suggest we'd be happy with either of them. Slender is a nice replacement for Wakefield if it comes down to that.

I'd also be trading Fredericks and Molan if their are any takers for another top 10 pick - that way we get a mid to compliment Slender at 3

I think your right Stan. Albeit trading pick No.1 is a massive decision. We did it for Conti and that is on track to be the right decision, however, their was no Prespakis available in that draft.

Seems like Rowbottom and Slender are firming for Victoria pick 2 and 3 and suggest we'd be happy with either of them. Slender is a nice replacement for Wakefield if it comes down to that.

I'd also be trading Fredericks and Molan if their are any takers for another top 10 pick - that way we get a mid to compliment Slender at 3

A disclaimer on my post regarging Cat's trading down their pick, it will only happen once Georgie Prespakis has told them NO
and both Charlie Rowbottom and Tara Slender, say NO

Cat's have only drafted Geelong Falcons, GWV Rebels or Murray Bushrangers or later in the draft Geelong VFLW players since 2018 when they came into the comp and it's highly unlikely to change

ATM we don't need to trade Fredericks and/or Molan as our 2nd pick is No 11 in Vic region and when Cat's draft their Geelong Falcon players it will be another top 10 pick

Charlie Rowbottom or Tara Slender, it doesn't matter, both are bloody good and will slot into our best 21 next season no worries
If we pick up Jorja Livingstone daughter of Tim our Head of Player and Coach Development, under a Father/daughter selection that's another good midfielder
Stella Reid, Emelia Yassir, Tahlia Gillard, Ella Friend, Nyakoat Dojiok would be in our 2nd pick range and would round out our draft nicely

1st. pick (3) Charlie Rowbottom or Tara Slender
2nd. pick (11) Stella Reid, Emelia Yassir, Tahlia Gillard, Ella Friend, Nyakoat Dojiok, which ever hasn't been picked yet
3rd. pick (19) Jorja Livingstone if we get a bid around this selection or if not, another good player that slips thru to this pick
4th. pick (27) Jorja Livingstone

Last edited:
I also don't think Gold Coast (overall pick No 1) would be giving an advantage to another club for no reason(specifically a Vic Club), they'd want a very decent player coming up as well, not just more draft picks
In saying that if a juicy enough offer came from a Vic club and GC accepts, then all bets are off, as No 1 overall is final

Last edited:
1st. pick (3) Charlie Rowbottom or Tara Slender
2nd. pick (11) Stella Reid, Emelia Yassir, Tahlia Gillard, Ella Friend, Nyakoat Dojiok, which ever hasn't been picked yet
3rd. pick (19) Jorja Livingstone if we get a bid around this selection or if not, another good player that slips thru to this pick
4th. pick (27) Jorja Livingstone

Is Slender more of a key forward and Rowbottom a mid?

Is Slender more of a key forward and Rowbottom a mid?

Yeah pretty much, Rowbottom and Slender, are same height, both play a similar mid role, with Slender a bit more KPP & probably the best contested mark in the U/18's
Hard to split, you're just picking who's better by what position our club needs.
Slender less brute force and power through the guts than Rowbottom, but similar ball winning capabilities,
Slender has that experience as a KPD and KPF, she's more likely to end up either end, than midfield, if that's what we're looking for down the track.
Rowbottom has more experience playing midfield, in that she starts Mid and floats forward and she gets a stack of the ball that way
So Slender more KPP that can play thru midfield, Rowbottom more midfield that can play KPP.
U/18 teams try to tag both in games, but Rowbottom is so much stronger than most girls thru the guts and Slender the same up FWD or Back
Having KB, McKenzie and Slender/Rowbottom rotating thru mid and forward is going to be a real weapon for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah pretty much, Rowbottom and Slender, are same height, both play a similar mid role, with Slender a bit more KPP & probably the best contested mark in the U/18's
Hard to split, you're just picking who's better by what position our club needs.
Slender less brute force and power through the guts than Rowbottom, but similar ball winning capabilities,
Slender has that experience as a KPD and KPF, she's more likely to end up either end, than midfield, if that's what we're looking for down the track.
Rowbottom has more experience playing midfield, in that she starts Mid and floats forward and she gets a stack of the ball that way
So Slender more KPP that can play thru midfield, Rowbottom more midfield that can play KPP.
U/18 teams try to tag both in games, but Rowbottom is so much stronger than most girls thru the guts and Slender the same up FWD or Back
Having KB, McKenzie and Slender/Rowbottom rotating thru mid and forward is going to be a real weapon for us

Would be pretty stoked to get one of these girls then and Tahlia Gillard with our second.

Would Livingstone be there in the third round or would we have to match with a higher pick?

If it works out for us, how's this for a team list
B: Cordner, Miller
HB: D'Arcy, Monahan, Ross
C: Livingstone, Conti, Lavey
HF: Slender/Rowbottom, Brennan, Stahl
F: Bernardi, Wakefield
R: Seymour, Hosking, Molan
INT: Frederick, Dempsey, Jacques, Brancatisano, McClelland
drafted in bold

Would be pretty stoked to get one of these girls then and Tahlia Gillard with our second.

Would Livingstone be there in the third round or would we have to match with a higher pick?

Yeah me too and ATM there's a very good chance we will get Rowbottom or Slender
Gillard at 190 cm (tallest in the U/18's), who can play KPF or Ruck would just about be perfect
Jorja Livingstone (Eastern Ranges) 168cm, being a mid and there a lot of good mids going around in the U/18's, not to mention all the KPP as well, i would be very surprised if someone bids on her in the 2nd Rd, meaning we would have to match with our next pick, which would be our 3rd Rd (Father/Daughter rules)
I'd bet it's a 3rd Rd and we match with a 4th Rd, that way we get 3 hits at the draft before we match

I was listening to an interview with Brisbane's Orla O'Dwyer who is one of the Irish girls but incidentally was actually born in Sydney so luckily for her she has duel citizenship and doesn't have to go through all the visa stuff that international travelers have to go through to play AFLW.

Anyway this is her second year and you would expect this year to be easier for her than the last but what she said was that as AFLW was a much more running game even compared to last year it actually suited the Irish girls more and more because it was more like Gaelic football in terms of the running.

Orla has been a really good acquisition for Brisbane and is perfectly suited to AFLW with her size and athleticism and her kicking is bloody good given she only picked up the oval ball at the start of last season or so.

We could do worse than see what other talent is in Ireland. Pretty much all the Irish girls that have come over have made an impact. If we go the youth path at this year's draft might be wise to balance with a spot for an Irish import if one exists who can come in and play right away.

Has worked for the top teams.

U19s wrap: Vic Metro edges WA, Allies hold on for first win
Sarah Black
APR 15. 2021. 2:37 PM

2NrqMf1P.jpg

Vic Metro's Charlie Rowbottom attempts to break a tackle against Western Australia at the 2021 NAB AFLW U19 Championships. Picture: AFL Photos

VIC METRO edged out Western Australia to kick off day two of the NAB AFLW under-19 championships.
The Allies claimed their first win of the competition after holding on against South Australia, while the Woomeras and Medleys face off in the last game of the day.

VIC METRO v WESTERN AUSTRALIA
A WASTEFUL Vic Metro has just pipped Western Australia, winning by four points in the opening match of day two.
WA's Chloe Reilly had a set shot after the siren to win the game, but it just fell short, giving the hosts the 4.13 (37) to 4.9 (33) win.
Ella Roberts led all-comers, the West Australian starring in the middle and up forward on her way to 31 disposals, six inside-50s and two goals.
swifkvoO.jpg

WA young gun Ella Roberts shows off her medal as the state's most valuable player after the 2021 NAB AFLW U19 Championships. Picture: AFL Photos

Sixteen-year-old Roberts was named her state's most valuable player, while Vic Metro still have a match to play next month.

Georgie Prespakis (23, nine tackles, six clearances) and Charlie Rowbottom (20, eight inside-50s) led the way for Metro, while Stella Reid (17 and six inside-50s) was classy across half-forward.

VIC METRO 1.3 2.8 4.10 4.13 (37)
WESTERN AUSTRALIA 0.3 2.3 2.6 4.9 (33)
GOALS
Vic Metro:
Staltari, Ling, Campbell, Gillard
Western Australia: Roberts 2, Tuhakaraina, Franklin
BEST
Vic Metro:
Gillard, Prespakis, Rowbottom, Ling, Reid, Ham
Western Australia: Wright, Roberts, Rowley, Wakfer, Nanut, Reidy

ALLIES v SOUTH AUSTRALIA
The Allies – made up of NSW/ACT, Northern Territory and Tasmania – recorded their first win of the week, knocking off a fast-finishing South Australia by six points.
The Allies got off to a flier, winning the ball out of the middle, locking in their attacking half and capitalising on the scoreboard.
The game was a torrid, flat struggle for the next two quarters, with the ball pinballing between the arcs but neither side managing to find the middle of the sticks.
South Australia charged home, but the damage was done early.
EgrUok5S.jpg

Jayde Hamilton of the Allies tackles SA's Zoe Venning at the 2021 NAB AFLW U19 Championships. Picture: AFL Photos

Academy members Zoe Prowse (SA) and Ally Morphett (Allies, NSW) had an intriguing battle in the ruck, while 15-year-old star Lauren Young – who needed special permission to play this week – found the footy at will, picking up 37 disposals, nine tackles, five clearances and a goal.
Cynthia Hamilton (Allies, NSW) backed up her strong first game on Monday with another promising performance in the midfield, recording 21 touches and 10 tackles, while Tasmanian Perri King laid a whopping 15 tackles on her way to 17 disposals.
Young was named South Australia's MVP and Hamilton was given the nod for the Allies.

ALLIES 3.2 3.4 3.4 3.8 (26)
SOUTH AUSTRALIA 1.0 1.0 1.2 3.2 (20)
GOALS
Allies:
Bissett, C. Hamilton, Maurer
South Australia: Ballard, Venning, Young
BEST
Allies:
Mulvahil, Maurer, Doyle, C. Hamilton, Sargent-Wilson, McLeay
South Australia: Young, Prowse, Shirmer, Borg, Ballard, Huynh

Charlie Rowbottom gets to show her talent once again in the NAB Girls Grand Final this weekend.

TIME/DATE 2:00 PM / SUN 16 MAY
LOCATION AVALON AIRPORT OVAL (CHIRNSIDE PARK)

1620974599084.png

MAY 14. 2021. 3:02 PM
NAB League GF: Dominant Chargers take on soaring Falcons
NABLeagueGF.jpg

Will the Chargers or Falcons win the 2021 NAB League Girls flag? Picture: AFL Digital

GEELONG Falcons will be aiming for its second NAB League girls' flag when it comes up against minor premiers Oakleigh Chargers on Sunday.
The game will be played at Avalon Airport Oval at 2pm, with the Falcons having come from sixth position to qualify for the decider.
Their previous win came in 2018, defeating the Northern Knights with a side featuring Nina Morrison, Liv Purcell, Lucy McEvoy and Denby Taylor.

Falcons key defender Annie Lee said her side's high-pressure game would hold them in good stead.

"Our main strength is our pressure, whether that's on the ball and being quick to the ball, trying to get numbers out, or whether it's when they have the ball and we're trying to apply pressure all over the ground," Lee said.

"We want to cause turnovers and stoppages. Our kicking and handball accuracy is also another strength, we strive to hit our targets."
Oakleigh's leading goalkicker Stella Reid – who is finishing her fifth and final year with the Chargers' program, having started in the under-16 squad – lauded her side's cohesiveness and bond throughout their one-loss season.

"We're a fast team with quick transitions. We have a solid backline, midfield and forward line who just sticks to their roles. Everyone puts in 100 per cent at training and at game day, which makes things a lot easier," Reid said.

"We're a family. We've made strong connections with one another and it's meant more than just wins and losses.
"The girls I've met through this program have been very special and it's just very exciting the team work has paid off and we've got a chance to win the Grand Final."

Lee has already been called up for two VFLW games this season with Geelong, while Reid is set to start training and potentially play with Collingwood's VFLW team after the Grand Final.

ROAD TO THE GRAND FINAL
Having finished top of the overall ladder and Vic Metro pool, Oakleigh hosted Calder Cannons and won by 13 points, holding firm in the last quarter despite conceding two goals. The Chargers then saw off an inaccurate Eastern Ranges in a 31-point victory.
Geelong finished sixth overall and third in the Vic Country/Tasmania pool, but comfortably accounted for Dandenong Stingrays, scoring 72 points and winning by 35. The Falcons then had a tightly-fought 14-point win over GWV Rebels.

LAST TIME THEY MET
Round eight, March 27
Geelong 5.4 (34) defeated Oakleigh 3.5 (23) in the Chargers' sole loss of the season.
"We played them late into the season, and they were top of the ladder and it was a fierce game, and from what I've heard, quite a good game to watch," Lee said.
"It was a team effort, they have some amazing key players like Charlie Rowbottom, Stella Reid, Amanda Ling, they were amazing throughout that day, but for us it was a team game and we fortunately beat them by 11 points."

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Oakleigh Chargers – quotes from forward/winger Stella Reid

Charlie Rowbottom: "'Rowy' is just a physical presence on the ground, whenever she gets that look in her eye and wants to get the ball, look out. She's also able to take a massive speccy in the forward line and kick a few goals."

Amanda Ling: "She's an inside midfielder who just gets all the hard contested ball. She's a great tackler with good physicality, which is extremely important."

Eliza James: "She's just electric in the forward line, and kicks heaps of goals."

NABGF2OCER21CG037.jpg

Oakleigh Charger Charlie Rowbottom. Picture: AFL Photos

Geelong Falcons – quotes from defender Annie Lee

Tess Craven: "I'm sure people have heard her name, she's an inside midfielder who's just everywhere on the ground. She's one of our star players and is just an amazing player, has the smarts and is very excited to play in the Grand Final."

Renee Tierney: "She's our go-to up forward with her marking ability. Very good set shot, can back her in 100 per cent."

Poppy Schaap: "She's a great crumber who helps out Renee and the other forwards. She's a very dangerous player, loves a snap and goal celebration."

NABGF2GeGW21CG018.jpg

Geelong Falcon Tess Craven. Picture: AFL Photos

Charlie Rowbottom gets to show her talent once again in the NAB Girls Grand Final this weekend.

TIME/DATE 2:00 PM / SUN 16 MAY
LOCATION AVALON AIRPORT OVAL (CHIRNSIDE PARK)

View attachment 1127264

MAY 14. 2021. 3:02 PM
NAB League GF: Dominant Chargers take on soaring Falcons
NABLeagueGF.jpg

Will the Chargers or Falcons win the 2021 NAB League Girls flag? Picture: AFL Digital

GEELONG Falcons will be aiming for its second NAB League girls' flag when it comes up against minor premiers Oakleigh Chargers on Sunday.
The game will be played at Avalon Airport Oval at 2pm, with the Falcons having come from sixth position to qualify for the decider.
Their previous win came in 2018, defeating the Northern Knights with a side featuring Nina Morrison, Liv Purcell, Lucy McEvoy and Denby Taylor.

Falcons key defender Annie Lee said her side's high-pressure game would hold them in good stead.

"Our main strength is our pressure, whether that's on the ball and being quick to the ball, trying to get numbers out, or whether it's when they have the ball and we're trying to apply pressure all over the ground," Lee said.

"We want to cause turnovers and stoppages. Our kicking and handball accuracy is also another strength, we strive to hit our targets."
Oakleigh's leading goalkicker Stella Reid – who is finishing her fifth and final year with the Chargers' program, having started in the under-16 squad – lauded her side's cohesiveness and bond throughout their one-loss season.

"We're a fast team with quick transitions. We have a solid backline, midfield and forward line who just sticks to their roles. Everyone puts in 100 per cent at training and at game day, which makes things a lot easier," Reid said.

"We're a family. We've made strong connections with one another and it's meant more than just wins and losses.
"The girls I've met through this program have been very special and it's just very exciting the team work has paid off and we've got a chance to win the Grand Final."

Lee has already been called up for two VFLW games this season with Geelong, while Reid is set to start training and potentially play with Collingwood's VFLW team after the Grand Final.

ROAD TO THE GRAND FINAL
Having finished top of the overall ladder and Vic Metro pool, Oakleigh hosted Calder Cannons and won by 13 points, holding firm in the last quarter despite conceding two goals. The Chargers then saw off an inaccurate Eastern Ranges in a 31-point victory.
Geelong finished sixth overall and third in the Vic Country/Tasmania pool, but comfortably accounted for Dandenong Stingrays, scoring 72 points and winning by 35. The Falcons then had a tightly-fought 14-point win over GWV Rebels.

LAST TIME THEY MET
Round eight, March 27
Geelong 5.4 (34) defeated Oakleigh 3.5 (23) in the Chargers' sole loss of the season.
"We played them late into the season, and they were top of the ladder and it was a fierce game, and from what I've heard, quite a good game to watch," Lee said.
"It was a team effort, they have some amazing key players like Charlie Rowbottom, Stella Reid, Amanda Ling, they were amazing throughout that day, but for us it was a team game and we fortunately beat them by 11 points."

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Oakleigh Chargers – quotes from forward/winger Stella Reid

Charlie Rowbottom: "'Rowy' is just a physical presence on the ground, whenever she gets that look in her eye and wants to get the ball, look out. She's also able to take a massive speccy in the forward line and kick a few goals."

Amanda Ling: "She's an inside midfielder who just gets all the hard contested ball. She's a great tackler with good physicality, which is extremely important."

Eliza James: "She's just electric in the forward line, and kicks heaps of goals."

NABGF2OCER21CG037.jpg

Oakleigh Charger Charlie Rowbottom. Picture: AFL Photos

Geelong Falcons – quotes from defender Annie Lee

Tess Craven: "I'm sure people have heard her name, she's an inside midfielder who's just everywhere on the ground. She's one of our star players and is just an amazing player, has the smarts and is very excited to play in the Grand Final."

Renee Tierney: "She's our go-to up forward with her marking ability. Very good set shot, can back her in 100 per cent."

Poppy Schaap: "She's a great crumber who helps out Renee and the other forwards. She's a very dangerous player, loves a snap and goal celebration."

NABGF2GeGW21CG018.jpg

Geelong Falcon Tess Craven. Picture: AFL Photos

Our 1st draft pick Charlie Rowbottom :cool:

May 14, 2021
2021 Draft Central NAB League Girls Team of the Year

GRAND finalists Geelong Falcons and Oakleigh Chargers, and losing preliminary finalists Greater Western Victoria (GWV) Rebels have led the way with the 2021 Draft Central NAB League Girls Team of the Year. The trio have combined for 11 players in our 24-player side, with other losing preliminary finalist Eastern Ranges, as well as finalists Tasmania Devils and Calder Cannons, and Western Jets each having two players apiece. Dandenong Stingrays and Northern Knights were unlucky to only have the one player this year, with the other non-finals sides in Murray Bushrangers, Sandringham Dragons and Gippsland Power having the one, and Bendigo Pioneers not having a first team representative.
Calder Cannons’ Georgie Prespakis has been named captain of our NAB League Girls Team of the Year after a record eight nominations this year. The potential top pick will share leadership duties with Geelong Falcons’ Poppy Schaap, who after six nominations, was handed the vice-captaincy. Prespakis is joined in the side by ruck/forward and fellow AFL Women’s Academy member, Tahlia Gillard. The Falcons have the equal most representatives in the team, with consistent midfielder Tess Craven, key forward Renee Tierney and defender Annie Lee all making the starting side in the most represented side in the starting 18.
Rounding out the starting onball group is another AFL Women’s Academy member in Perri King, with the Tasmania Devils talent standing up this season through the midfield. She will team up with bottom-age talent Claire Ransom in our Team of the Year, whilst another onballer who has also played on the wing at the start of the year and previous years, Charlotte Baskaran is one of two Western Jets representatives. Montana Ham is the other Western representative in the first team, making the half-forward flank. On the other wing to Baskaran is Murray Bushrangers’ best and fairest winner and Vic Country representative Aurora Smith who was the best pure wing this season.
Looking deeper forward, Oakleigh Chargers’ dynamo Charlie Rowbottom has been named at full-forward where she often starts games before rotating through the midfield. She is one of three Chargers in the team, alongside Stella Reid (half-back) and Amanda Ling (interchange) who have both been consistent performers this season. Also deep forward is the Dandenong Stingrays’ sole representative in what was a real even team spread this year for the Stingrays, as Amber Clarke makes the side having impressed both midfield and up forward. In the other forward pocket is the youngest member of the team, 2023-draft eligible talent Alyssia Pisano, who had four Team of the Week nominations and also won the leading goalkicker award in her debut season, named in the side along with teammate and bottom-age defender, Mia Busch.
The remainder of the defence features a couple of GWV Rebels in Chloe Leonard and Nyakoat Dojiok, with a couple more in Lilli Condon and Paige Scott also squeezing onto the bench in a huge result for the club this season. Northern Knights’ Maeve Chaplin slots into half-back where she is capable of playing, as the sole representative for the Knights. The last two players rounding out the bench are sole representatives in Sandringham Dragons’ Sofia Hurley and Gippsland Power’s Grace Matser, with the latter being the rotating ruck with Gillard in the side.
The 24 players who missed out on the Draft Central NAB League Girls Team of the Year were automatically filled into the Draft Central Second Team of the Year, with special mention to Bendigo Pioneers’ Elizabeth Snell, Oakleigh Chargers’ Brooke Vickers and Calder Cannons’ Emelia Yassir who were named as the emergencies for the starting team.

DRAFT CENTRAL NAB LEAGUE GIRLS TEAM OF THE YEAR:
B:
Chloe Leonard (GWV) – Nyakoat Dojiok (GWV) – Mia Busch (ER)
HB: Maeve Chaplin (NK) – Annie Lee (GF) – Stella Reid (OC)
C: Aurora Smith (MB) – Perri King (TD) – Charlotte Baskaran (WJ)
HF: Poppy Schaap (GF) (vc) – Renee Tierney (GF) – Montana Ham (WJ)
F: Alyssia Pisano (ER) – Charlie Rowbottom (OC) – Amber Clarke (DS)
R: Tahlia Gillard (CC) – Georgie Prespakis (CC) (c) – Tess Craven (GF)
INT: Lilli Condon (GWV) – Sofia Hurley (SD) – Amanda Ling (OC) – Grace Matser (GP) – Claire Ransom (TD) – Paige Scott (GWV)
EMG: Elizabeth Snell (BP) – Brooke Vickers (OC) – Emelia Yassir (CC)

I read that we’re included with a r2 priority and if I understand rightly, we re prohibited from trading r1-5 picks , wtf

Yeah Stan and Tigers Time mentioned it in another thread. Teams below with priority picks in bold below have to use their first pick in the draft and not trade it otherwise they lose those priority picks. Makes sense I guess.

Question is how will Geelong use their #1 Vic pick. I'm not sure using their picks on Geelong falcon girls does them any favours.

Your club's picks

Adelaide
: 17, 34, 49

Brisbane: 18, 35, 50

Carlton: 12, 29, 44

Collingwood: 16, 33, 48

Fremantle: 14, 31, 46

Geelong: 2, 7*, 9*, 20, 37

Gold Coast: 1, 6*, 8*, 19, 36

GWS: 10, 27, 42

Melbourne: 15, 32, 47

North Melbourne: 13, 30, 45

Richmond: 5, 23, 26*, 40

St Kilda: 4, 22, 25*, 39

West Coast: 3, 21, 24*, 38, 41*

Western Bulldogs: 11, 28, 43

Yeah Stan and Tigers Time mentioned it in another thread. Teams below with priority picks in bold below have to use their first pick in the draft and not trade it otherwise they lose those priority picks. Makes sense I guess.

Question is how will Geelong use their #1 Vic pick. I'm not sure using their picks on Geelong falcon girls does them any favours.

Your club's picks

Adelaide
: 17, 34, 49

Brisbane: 18, 35, 50

Carlton: 12, 29, 44

Collingwood: 16, 33, 48

Fremantle: 14, 31, 46

Geelong: 2, 7*, 9*, 20, 37

Gold Coast: 1, 6*, 8*, 19, 36

GWS: 10, 27, 42

Melbourne: 15, 32, 47

North Melbourne: 13, 30, 45

Richmond: 5, 23, 26*, 40

St Kilda: 4, 22, 25*, 39

West Coast: 3, 21, 24*, 38, 41*

Western Bulldogs: 11, 28, 43
tess craven looks nice from the falcons, but surely they would have to take prespakis or rowbottom first depending who they like most, and then hope that stk then don't draft craven and then they can take her with their priority picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back