Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Investors can invest without having to involve themselves in football operations. They have to make changes immediately to how things are run and yes that must include Brebner getting the flick as he is a product of the football department not getting it right.

Must get Poppa in at all costs and bring his own back end team to begin with at the minimum.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
I'm not sure that, in an AFL town like Melbourne, given the "public" ownership of clubs and member-voted boards, everyone understands the board structure (I know you do giggler.)

Yeah, the problem is probably at board level, cos we don't have the football knowledge at the top of the club to oversee everything and be successful. We've never known who it's meant to be - was it Awaratifi, was it Trimboli, is it the head coach?

But obviously A-League clubs are privately owned. They're "franchises" as opposed to clubs, so you buy your way onto the board by investing in the franchise. Much as we call ourselves members (I used to) - we're not, we're just season ticket holders. So you don't get voted off the board for incompetence, only if you lose all your money.

Wow what about this for a stats!

Disturbing!

Yeah that’s the frustrating thing about it we can’t change anything in the board room and there is not enough pressure from the media that will held them accountable either because there practically isn’t a football media apart from Lynchy. Can we trust these buffoons to make the right decisions? I don’t but as long as they are exploiting the fan base and have their Luncheon business networks rolling in making them money why should they care how the football department is performing?

The only way I see it is if we hit them in their pockets, don’t turn up, don’t buy memberships or merch pressure the sponsors, it sucks and it’s sad that it has to probably come to this but might be the only way to get the message through that the fans have had enough! I doubt enough of the fan base will be willing to do this through the hardcore few will but the average casual wont. Then you have the types that will just say “this is the time to support the club harder when it’s on its knees“ But how long are we willing to keep living on our knees?
I don’t know I’m feeling very indifferent about the club atm on one hand I still love and want to support the club through thick and thin on the other I absolutely despise what they have become and want no part in it until changes are made.

Last edited:

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
The only way I see it is if we hit them in their pockets, don’t turn up, don’t buy memberships or merch pressure the sponsors, it sucks and it’s sad that it has to probably come to this but might be the only way to get the message through that the fans have had enough!

That's the bummer, isn't it? I quoted someone the other day who was bagging the club by simply saying "stand by me".

But the bit I've quoted here in response to the notion that we're a "franchise" as opposed to a "club" is correct. If we're not members of the club, all we are is customers. And like any other business, the only way to hit them is through the hip pocket.

It's such a conundrum when it comes to privately owned sports teams. I'm big into NFL and love the Philadelphia Eagles - but hate some of the things we've done over the last decade. But what can you do? They're a privately owned club, the only power you have is to stop buying the merch and the "membership".

But to have money to burn on a sporting team - especially an A-League team, which is a labour of love cos you know you'll never, ever turn a profit on it, and at best hope to break even (in the case of the Victory; no one else even hopes to break even) - you've gotta have more money than a bull can s**t. So even refusing to buy merch doesn't hurt them, and for people brought up in an AFL culture, giving up a "membership", especially after so long, and especially when they make you feel really special for your longevity, is a really big deal.

It's funny, I've never really bought too much into the pro-rel argument, cos I don't think it's anywhere near being realistic in Australia. And when we were constantly up the top, I didn't care. Now? I kind of wish we did have pro-rel - at least it motivates clubs like ours to do something when it's started to rot from the head down (which it has since 2015, it was just papered over by a grand final win from 4th spot... it turns out it was us "looking on FOLORNLY" given what would happen in the coming years...)

Otherwise... what's to stop us becoming the Mariners circa 2012-19? There's no motivation to improve.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
My eyes may have deceived me but it appeared all the players not involved were not even sitting together. Sutton looked like he was in the crowd, Rojas in the players box and Broxham in a separate players box?

Also, Archie Thompson. Legit don't think he realised we were down to 10 men the way he commentated. It's actually impressive how good his career was because I don't think he knows too much about the game.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
My eyes may have deceived me but it appeared all the players not involved were not even sitting together. Sutton looked like he was in the crowd, Rojas in the players box and Broxham in a separate players box?

might be a lot of these players have been told they are not required next season and are disgruntled with the club. Doesn't surprise me with how the club is travelling none of them get along or sit together.

Also, Archie Thompson. Legit don't think he realised we were down to 10 men the way he commentated. It's actually impressive how good his career was because I don't think he knows too much about the game.

I think its more the fact Archie struggles to articulate his thoughts, he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed so to speak. How and why FOX hired him is the question that should be asked. Just proves how much they don't give a stuff about the game anymore.
Cheap as chips

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
How about we make a ******* sub? I know Brebs isn't to blame for our predicament but ffs. Down to ten men and we make subs like we have no bench in divvy 5 state league reserves.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
How about we make a ******* sub? I know Brebs isn't to blame for our predicament but ffs. Down to ten men and we make subs like we have no bench in divvy 5 state league reserves.
Should have subbed Crocombe on as a field player.

He ain’t a keepers arsehole and the field players are shite

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
All good guys, we had a luncheon and everything should be fixed!

luncheon.PNG

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Who do you reckon sucks worse at their job:

- the captain of the Ever Given
- our strength and conditioning coach

?

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
The year that all clubs go out on their own to forge their destinies and we are anchored to the bottom of the table and are a laughing stock of the league.
Our management, coaching team and players are all sub standard.
Soon no one will turn up to these business luncheons and then hopefully ADP will cut his losses and move on.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
The year that all clubs go out on their own to forge their destinies and we are anchored to the bottom of the table and are a laughing stock of the league.
Our management, coaching team and players are all sub standard.
Soon no one will turn up to these business luncheons and then hopefully ADP will cut his losses and move on.

If not he'll just go and cut his fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back