2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Seriously if you got top 10 pick you don't pick king luko, Rankine ,Holland , what a joke .Even you can do better than that.
* Might as well follow big footy phantom draft.
McLennan vs Rowbottom.
Alex Davies , Jefferey all in phantom draft top 20 how hard is it to pre select them .
Well let’s look at Clayton’s top 10s considering you can’t get top 10s wrong.
2013. KK pick 5 (Cripps 10), Leslie 20 (Z Merrett, Matt Crouch )
2014. 2MP
2015. Swap 4 to Melb fir their 7. They get Clayton Oliver, we get Ah Chee.
2016. Scrimshaw 7, Brodie 9.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Well let’s look at Clayton’s top 10s considering you can’t get top 10s wrong.
2013. KK pick 5 (Cripps 10), Leslie 20 (Z Merrett, Matt Crouch )
2014. 2MP
2015. Swap 4 to Melb fir their 7. They get Clayton Oliver, we get Ah Chee.
2016. Scrimshaw 7, Brodie 9.
Let me rephrase it , Both are bad need to find someone better . Neither Clayton or Craig Cameron
Let's not forget that dude (Kal burns ) that follow Clayton is still in recruitment with Craig Cameron.

Last edited:

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Mature agers picked up by Cameron. Burgess, Collins, Corbett, Greenwood, Ellis, Markov, Atkins.
Rookies: Buderick, Graham, Davies, Jeffrey & others.
Draft: King, Luko, Sharp, McLennan, Rankine, Flanders, Holland, Farrar.

You now give me the Clayton success story to support your comment
At least Clayton has played the game at the highest level and went for footballers although too many half back flankers , many people are worried this club is more worried about diversity than winning games. There also seems to be a son in law policy towards senior selection ie decent blokes who you would let date your daughter give me Dusty or Toby Greene any day

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
At least Clayton has played the game at the highest level and went for footballers although too many half back flankers , many people are worried this club is more worried about diversity than winning games. There also seems to be a son in law policy towards senior selection ie decent blokes who you would let date your daughter give me Dusty or Toby Greene any day
Maybe I am biased because my qafl club hasn't had a draftee for a while but too things are true

1) if there are two potential recruits of close to the same ability , let's say one of their dads played say NRL he would get the gig even if the other kid was slightly better
2) if you were given the task of dismantling our current squad and then reassembling it with the best possible 49 footballers in Australia only 35 max would get a gig , some are on the list for there character alone

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
All this club won premierships , GCS can't even win the old reserve competition NEAFL or make it to Top 8 in AFL. I said it many times , Craig Cameron and recruiters of GCS just lazy , trade all second round out and pick top 15 players and GCS academy in the draft and Townsend type of players .

GCS will be at the bottom of the ladder in VFL too.. Craig Cameron is worse than Clayton .
Certainly makes some dodgy calls, like two meter Peter, pick 11 for 27 (I think) moving up to get Flanders (maybe they should’ve checked if he was likely to stay before selling the farm to get him) and the signing of Rory for multiple years but I still think Clayton takes the cake for the worst recruiter giving up 4 low second rounders for a first round that ended up being pick 19 and not even having an agreement in place with Freo to accept it if he did secure it, just horrendous

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I note that both OMeara and Scrimshaw were named in the bests for Hawthorn today

What did we get for Scrimshaw again......oh that’s right about the same as another top ten pick in 2MP
What about the package we got back for O'Meara? 2016 Pick 10 which netted us Jack Bowes and a 2017 second round pick.

I think we can all safely say Bowes alone made that trade worth it and he's probably still got another 10 years of service left in him for our club.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Why need to give excuses all the time , make it to Top 8 , nobody care who won the trade , no point win the trade get all the AFL concession and can't make top 8 .
Seriously 49 players compare to Fremantle , Carlton , North, Adelaide,GWS 45 players that is a big advantages , plus pre draft Alex Davies , Jeffrey , Buddarick plus Anderson , pick 11 last year draft and Collins , Burgess and Corbett . Can't blame AFL anymore , that is very generous from AFL . Don't be crybaby all the time .

Last edited:

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What about the package we got back for O'Meara? 2016 Pick 10 which netted us Jack Bowes and a 2017 second round pick.

I think we can all safely say Bowes alone made that trade worth it and he's probably still got another 10 years of service left in him for our club.

Bowes was only pick 10 because sydney bid on him.. he could’ve been pick 1 or pick 21 if they hadn’t of bid on him would’ve been wasted on someone else

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
I note that both OMeara and Scrimshaw were named in the bests for Hawthorn today

What did we get for Scrimshaw again......oh that’s right about th same as another top ten pick in 2MP
Problem was there was no real interest in both. Some Essendon fans already wanting Wright to be dropped too. Saad was the one we gave away for nothing

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Problem was there was no real interest in both. Some Essendon fans already wanting Wright to be dropped too. Saad was the one we gave away for nothing
Can't fault them, if i were them i also don't care much earning 400+k plus playing NEAFL (Exclude scrimshaw he rather leave than take 400k) . As for Wright No different to some GCS fan wanting to drop Brodie it is quite normal reaction. Saad case also a bit different getting as he was under rookie wages ( Rookie Draft) compare to other top pick who get paid more than him.

Sydney , Brisbane , GWS all won NEAFL except GCS, if you can't develop Top Pick players , players will request to go home .
Flanders , Sharp , Mclennan won't be staying long if they continue to play reserve footy.

Last edited:

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
remember that time we got excited about LDU? aaaaahhh good times. whatever happened to that kid?
If we had to draft anyone that draft, i was most keen on him.

He has finally got the body and tank to AFL level standard, groin injuries i think limited his early seasons.

Can play burst inside mid, just stuck at North where only Jed Anderson is willing to try his heart out. Maybe he stands out a little bit this season without Ziebell, Cunnington, Dumont, Anderson not in there? Who knows

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Seriously if you got top 10 pick you don't pick king luko, Rankine
So... Don't draft one of the comps top 5 goalkickers and the wing/HB that's been delivering him the ball.

Now I'm convinced you are trolling.

Saad did a Gablett and snuck his way home on "compassionate grounds" then when Essendon wasn't as good as hyped he bailed on them for the next "hot young team"

In our situation you try and get what you can for magic beans

I'd rather take a slightly less skilled player than have to worry about them bolting for the border at the first opportunity.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If we were a winning team yes but I think that we needed a player who could come in and impact the game like a Guilden. Also instead of Townsend we should have taken Waterman, With the academy kids we should have taken Pescud who kicked over three a game last year if not him Gore who is apparently coming 2nd in the whole Safl for tackles. If we were gamblers we would be broke we go for high risk option everytime where a successful team like the Swans play moneyball ie Papley , Wicks etc
Haha. Every club would kill to have a top talent like Gulden. Mira not like we passed over a top 20 player.

Townsend bought in for leadership, history of team success at AFL level. Proven forward who can play in a pinch.
Similar to waterman but with all the intangibles which are impossible to measure from an outsiders perspective.

If you’re talking moneyball Townsend is a good selection if you ask me.

youtalk about macpherson making mistakes but fail to acknowledge all the good things he does. This last game strong marks in front of bigger opponents, strong tackling. Don’t think any academy prospect is bringing this to any significant level. Compared with Harry Schoenberg who played a similar mid/fwd role he had far greater impact on the game IMO.

gore has a few AFL level traits but he’s not getting a game in front of sexton, Ainsworth or rankine at the moment (Although the firstv2 were our worst on ground) I see he had adecent first game in sanfl 9 possessions at 33% efficiency (guess he makes mistakes too) 1 goal, 10 tackles.

I’m a fan of ace’s, looks incredibly balanced.
Farrar looked good in his first game last year too I thought. Murtagh will be gone at end of year unless he’s dramatically improved.

for every Michael gibbons or will snelling there are numerous Mitch hibbereds. We’ve gone down that route plenty before with Horsley, brooksby, hallahan, Osbourne, Willis, Glenn etc..

danny Stanleyand Adam saad worked. The rest were failed experiments.

I’n saying that, with buderick on LTI we should absolutely be taking someone like McBean or Tyler keitel at the mid year intake IMO.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That's not necessarily true. Look at Sam Wicks - drafted out of the local Sydney AFL competition with category B pre-rookie draft access two years ago (after being overlooked by every club in the national draft) and ends up dominating against the defending premiers with 3 goals and 21 disposals at the MCG yesterday. Just because you're not a highly rated junior in your 18th year, doesn't mean you can't make it in the AFL. It comes down to the club's internal development systems and obviously the Swans do this extremely well.
Both are true.
They can be not Ready for AFL in 18th year and overlooked by everyone.
Joining vfl with higher standard of games will help improve development. Something we haven’t been able to do as well though that’s for sure.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Think the only solution is the AFL reserves some of our kids are going to be targeted by 25 year old state league players resentful of them. A mates son played for Southport a couple of years ago and they were instructed to rough up the Academy players. One of the academy players ended up with a broken hand as the fullback continued to punch it while alongside him , poor kid didn't end up getting a possession.
With 22 teams the more chance they will face these time of characters. The VFL is a very hard arse comp
We hear constantly that the SANFL and WAFL kids get a leg up on the Victorian kids because they get to play against men. Do you think it would be any different for a 17 year old in those competitions?

I think we should mainly play our 19 year olds as top ups. See what the pescuds, Johnston’s etc can do and then our top end 17 year olds Austin Harris, will Bella etc.

that’s going to be more instructive if they can make it at AFL level opposed to kicking 3 goals a game against 38 year olds in theQafl.

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Haha. Every club would kill to have a top talent like Gulden. Mira not like we passed over a top 20 player.

Townsend bought in for leadership, history of team success at AFL level. Proven forward who can play in a pinch.
Similar to waterman but with all the intangibles which are impossible to measure from an outsiders perspective.

If you’re talking moneyball Townsend is a good selection if you ask me.

youtalk about macpherson making mistakes but fail to acknowledge all the good things he does. This last game strong marks in front of bigger opponents, strong tackling. Don’t think any academy prospect is bringing this to any significant level. Compared with Harry Schoenberg who played a similar mid/fwd role he had far greater impact on the game IMO.

gore has a few AFL level traits but he’s not getting a game in front of sexton, Ainsworth or rankine at the moment (Although the firstv2 were our worst on ground) I see he had adecent first game in sanfl 9 possessions at 33% efficiency (guess he makes mistakes too) 1 goal, 10 tackles.

I’m a fan of ace’s, looks incredibly balanced.
Farrar looked good in his first game last year too I thought. Murtagh will be gone at end of year unless he’s dramatically improved.

for every Michael gibbons or will snelling there are numerous Mitch hibbereds. We’ve gone down that route plenty before with Horsley, brooksby, hallahan, Osbourne, Willis, Glenn etc..

danny Stanleyand Adam saad worked. The rest were failed experiments.

I’n saying that, with buderick on LTI we should absolutely be taking someone like McBean or Tyler keitel at the mid year intake IMO.
Tbh now Witts has gone down our list management has been exposed we really should have had more cover in the ruck area, even Daw would at least have covered a ruck position .

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
So... Don't draft one of the comps top 5 goalkickers and the wing/HB that's been delivering him the ball.

Now I'm convinced you are trolling.

Saad did a Gablett and snuck his way home on "compassionate grounds" then when Essendon wasn't as good as hyped he bailed on them for the next "hot young team"

In our situation you try and get what you can for magic beans

I'd rather take a slightly less skilled player than have to worry about them bolting for the border at the first opportunity.
You also rather Thompson waste list spot not playing , this is not trolling , is called discussion. if you continue like that another ten years GCS still won't make finals .

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Tbh now Witts has gone down our list management has been exposed we really should have had more cover in the ruck area, even Daw would at least have covered a ruck position .
Disagree. Most clubs won't have more than two genuine rucks on their list. We have two rucks and a good backup in Day. Bad luck that all got injured.

You can't spend cap and a list spot on a third ruckman. The odds of that bearing fruit is thin at best.

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You also rather Thompson waste list spot not playing , this is not trolling , is called discussion. if you continue like that another ten years GCS still won't make finals .
Here's a theory that might work v
Disagree. Most clubs won't have more than two genuine rucks on their list. We have two rucks and a good backup in Day. Bad luck that all got injured.

You can't spend cap and a list spot on a third ruckman. The odds of that bearing fruit is thin at best.
With 49 players we should have had more than enough back up check Twitter everyone is saying this

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
Interesting debate re: past picks. My opinion is the Suns have drafted well the last few years, since Clayton left. Hollands will be a gun without injury and was the right choice.

Desperately need a KPD and/or KPF this season and should be going hard at the trade table to get a good player. Paying overs (trade wise) would be fine for the right player as there is enough talent here already. Not going to suggest anyone specific but a player in the 22-27 age range that will improve the side.

The Suns are primed to rise quickly with a couple of astute signings imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back