Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Round 4
Adelaide v North Melbourne
Sunday April 11
12.10PM ACT /12.40 who knows

Pre-Game

Before the season started these 2 sides were hot favourites for the Wooden Spoon. That seems to be no longer true for the Adelaide Crows who have stunned the experts and excited fans - while North Melbourne has solidified in favouritism stakes.

Adelaide coached by Matthew Nicks ( Matty , Nicksy , Nicccckssseeeee) defeated the Gold Coast Suns by 10 points at home to record the 2nd home win from 2 - BUT - did lose an away game some considered winnable - but given Sydneys recent form looks more impressive.

North meanwhile have struggled. Injuries havent helped but their new Coach David Noble is putting together a side he hopes keeps him in a job at North longer than Malcolm Blight. Norths latest loss was a big one - 128 points to the Bulldogs who scored at will.

But like most games between these 2 sides you cant read too much into the position on the ladder

The Record

45 times these clubs have met with the AFC holding a 1 game margin 23-22 . But only 6 of those wins have come when playing away.

Selection

Adelaide have an unusual dilemma - do they tinker with form and introduce some kids or do they go unchanged? Lynch and Frampton seem to be the 2 players most want to see dropped and Worrel and Thilthorpe debut. Who Knows?

North meanwhile have a lot of magnets to throw around - injuries again will see Anderson, Polec and Corr all out . The Ins I will leave as there arent too many options for Noble

The Game

Given the lack of defensive effort against the Bulldogs I expect Noble to concentrate on that area and while its tempting to think Tex can kick 8 and Rowe , McAdam and Thilthorpe get 3 each it may be harder than we think.

Its hard to sing any praise for North as they are struggling big time . It would be easy to dismiss them but the AFC also need to put in place the game plan and structures that Nicks want us to develop. I do think our midfield might win this one but as long as they can get the ball inside 50 then the forwards can do the rest of the work - ironically North lead the Crows in Inside 50 stats - but this is where our forwards are winning

Stats

Some stats to make you smile

● Ranked 5th in Points Per Game
● Ranked 4th in Clearances Per Game
● Ranked 3rd in least Opponent Handballs Per Game
● Ranked 4th in least Opponent Disposals Per Game
● Ranked 1st in least Opponent Clangers Per Game
● Ranked 5th in Team to Opponent Handballs Per Game Diff.

But also some stats to make you frown

● Ranked 18th in Kicks Per Game
● Ranked 14th in Handballs Per Game
● Ranked 17th in Disposals Per Game
● Ranked 17th in Marks Per Game
● Ranked 17th in Clangers Per Game

Now - because its only 3 rounds in - it may be a matter of a David Mackay haul of disposals difference but I think it highlights some issues that are good but mostly bad ie we are winning despite these numbers - the good one is clangers - for such a young group this is surprisingly good - if I have read it right

The Opposition Diary

I have invited a North Melbourne fan to answer a few questions about his memories of the North v Adelaide games . Please welcome The Filth Wizard (captain of the Royals in the SFA League - pm for details)

What was your first North Melbourne memory?

Even though my family went to Melbourne from Perth and were considered Eagles supporters I didn't overly care too much for supporting a club and living next door to Waverley Park from 1995 footy was really just about watching the game for me and hanging out with my Dad. That year I decided to tag along with some North supporting mates to a Roos/Eagles game at Optus Oval where North got belted by ten goals but I found myself barracking hard for us (Carey in full flight was quite a thing) and walked out of the ground a fully fledged fan. I think starting the love at such an inopportune time means I've been able to handle the really hard stuff with the club (I'm also an Arsenal fan so maybe I just like the masochism).

What was your first memory of Adelaide v North

When the AFL cancelled the 1998 Grand Final at half time, I thought it was really unfair to two clubs that had worked hard all season

( Narrator: It wasnt cancelled)

What games v Adelaide stick out

- for the good -
for some reason this didnt paste - oh well it was just some random game

- for the bad - well yeah, it's 1998. Capitulation. What an absolute engine Darren Jarman was but you all know that.

Oops this must be a computer error

probably the one that stands out most was 2017 at Blundstone... you guys were murdering everybody that year but we got out 64-0 by quarter time. Waite was insane that game. Big highlight from a poor run of seasons.

Having had one of the greatest players play for both clubs what do you remember about Bruce Abernathy? Ok Evan Hewitt? One more time - Wayne Carey? How did you feel about the events surrounding him leaving?

Hey, don't forget about Sam Gibson.

They were dark days. It's still hard to believe it played out that way and I think it really gutted the club. The timeline where Duck retired a North player can only be a better path. He was my sporting hero so of course it stings even today.

(Narrator: Sam Gibson the fittest player at North with a 122 game streak broken down by Haas )

Where do you see North in 1, 2 or 5 years and does it cause you angst?

I think we're pretty well entrenched in the bottom four for the next couple of seasons but I think some quality high end drafting now will speed up the return to finals. We should be in that bracket in five years but even this season has shown how much can change with player growth when you look at the starts by the Crows and Swans (whether sustainable or not you want to see standards in place and consistency grows with age). I don't think clubs can be anchored to the bottom for too long in the modern game unless something is seriously going wrong off-field. I think our off field components are in place so will trust the process. The only thing that causes me angst is wasted time.

How did it feel to have Malcolm Blight ( assuming you were here and barracking) a North Melbourne legend coaching against the Roos in the GF?

Can't say I had any negative feelings there, his playing days were before my time. He's a champion for both clubs really and can't be begrudged from doing a job extremely well.

What is your tip and margin for the game?

Ha, well when you gave me these questions I was pretty confident of a win but then the Dogs treated us like we weren't there and you guys had another great win. I hope Corr comes back in because we need an extra tall back, Tex is monstrous at the moment and can go large on us with the roof closed. I can't tip us with any faith so will say Crows by 15 and hope for 1) no blowout and 2) a rousing effort to prove me wrong.

Previous games played

Again? You are going to put the PETRENKOOOOOOOO clip in? Yep

The close one in 1993- Crows by 2 points - Modra kicks 10 McDermott a lazy 44 disposals

Another close one - 1995 Roos by 3 points

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Round 4
Sunday April 11
12.10PM ACT

Pre-Game

Before the season started these 2 sides were hot favourites for the Wooden Spoon. That seems to be no longer true for the Adelaide Crows who have stunned the experts and excited fans - while North Melbourne has solidified in favouritism stakes.

Adelaide coached by Matthew Nicks ( Matty , Nicksy , Nicccckssseeeee) defeated the Gold Coast Suns by 10 points at home to record the 2nd home win from 2 - BUT - did lose an away game some considered winnable - but given Sydneys recent form looks more impressive.

North meanwhile have struggled. Injuries havent helped but their new Coach David Noble is putting together a side he hopes keeps him in a job at North longer than Malcolm Blight. Norths latest loss was a big one - 128 points to the Bulldogs who scored at will.

But like most games between these 2 sides you cant read too much into the position on the ladder

The Record

45 times these clubs have met with the AFC holding a 1 game margin 23-22 . But only 6 of those wins have come when playing away.

Selection

Adelaide have an unusual dilemma - do they tinker with form and introduce some kids or do they go unchanged? Lynch and Frampton seem to be the 2 players most want to see dropped and Worrel and Thilthorpe debut. Who Knows?

North meanwhile have a lot of magnets to throw around - injuries again will see Anderson, Polec and Corr all out . The Ins I will leave as there arent too many options for Noble

The Game

Given the lack of defensive effort against the Bulldogs I expect Noble to concentrate on that area and while its tempting to think Tex can kick 8 and Rowe , McAdam and Thilthorpe get 3 each it may be harder than we think.

Its hard to sing any praise for North as they are struggling big time . It would be easy to dismiss them but the AFC also need to put in place the game plan and structures that Nicks want us to develop. I do think our midfield might win this one but as long as they can get the ball inside 50 then the forwards can do the rest of the work - ironically North lead the Crows in Inside 50 stats - but this is where our forwards are winning

Stats

Now - because its only 3 rounds in - it may be a matter of a David Mackay haul of disposals difference but I think it highlights some issues that are good but mostly bad ie we are winning despite these numbers - the good one is clangers - for such a young group this is surprisingly good - if I have read it right

The Opposition Diary

I have invited a North Melbourne fan to answer a few questions about his memories of the North v Adelaide games . Please welcome The Filth Wizard (captain of the Royals in the SFA League - pm for details)

Even though my family went to Melbourne from Perth and were considered Eagles supporters I didn't overly care too much for supporting a club and living next door to Waverley Park from 1995 footy was really just about watching the game for me and hanging out with my Dad. That year I decided to tag along with some North supporting mates to a Roos/Eagles game at Optus Oval where North got belted by ten goals but I found myself barracking hard for us (Carey in full flight was quite a thing) and walked out of the ground a fully fledged fan. I think starting the love at such an inopportune time means I've been able to handle the really hard stuff with the club (I'm also an Arsenal fan so maybe I just like the masochism).

When the AFL cancelled the 1998 Grand Final at half time, I thought it was really unfair to two clubs that had worked hard all season

- for the good -

- for the bad - well yeah, it's 1998. Capitulation. What an absolute engine Darren Jarman was but you all know that.

probably the one that stands out most was 2017 at Blundstone... you guys were murdering everybody that year but we got out 64-0 by quarter time. Waite was insane that game. Big highlight from a poor run of seasons.

Having had one of the greatest players play for both clubs what do you remember about Bruce Abernathy? Ok Evan Hewitt? One more time - Wayne Carey? How did you feel about the events surrounding him leaving?

They were dark days. It's still hard to believe it played out that way and I think it really gutted the club. The timeline where Duck retired a North player can only be a better path. He was my sporting hero so of course it stings even today.

(Narrator: Sam Gibson the fittest player at North with a 122 game streak broken down by Haas )

I think we're pretty well entrenched in the bottom four for the next couple of seasons but I think some quality high end drafting now will speed up the return to finals. We should be in that bracket in five years but even this season has shown how much can change with player growth when you look at the starts by the Crows and Swans (whether sustainable or not you want to see standards in place and consistency grows with age). I don't think clubs can be anchored to the bottom for too long in the modern game unless something is seriously going wrong off-field. I think our off field components are in place so will trust the process. The only thing that causes me angst is wasted time.

How did it feel to have Malcolm Blight ( assuming you were here and barracking) a North Melbourne legend coaching against the Roos in the GF?

Can't say I had any negative feelings there, his playing days were before my time. He's a champion for both clubs really and can't be begrudged from doing a job extremely well.

Ha, well when you gave me these questions I was pretty confident of a win but then the Dogs treated us like we weren't there and you guys had another great win. I hope Corr comes back in because we need an extra tall back, Tex is monstrous at the moment and can go large on us with the roof closed. I can't tip us with any faith so will say Crows by 15 and hope for 1) no blowout and 2) a rousing effort to prove me wrong.

Previous games played

The close one in 1993- Crows by 2 points - Modra kicks 10 McDermott a lazy 44 disposals

Shouldn't the clangers be reversed?
If we're first for least oppo clangers, doesn't that mean we haven't forced enough errors?
Also, 17th for our clangers: isn't that good, since clangers are bad?

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
If we're first for least oppo clangers, doesn't that mean we haven't forced enough errors?
Thats why I put the qualifier in.

It was listed in the '' poor stats '' column

With a quick look at the numbers:

So 17th for clangers per game means we're 2nd for clangers per game, at 51.0 (Saints are 18th at 67.7, Eagles are 1st at 46.7). That said, we're also 2nd last for forcing other teams to turn the ball over, at 54.0 (Demons are 1st at 68.7, Cats are last at 53.7).

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

So 17th for clangers per game means we're 2nd for clangers per game, at 51.0 (Saints are 18th at 67.7, Eagles are 1st at 46.7). That said, we're also 2nd last for forcing other teams to turn the ball over, at 54.0 (Demons are 1st at 68.7, Cats are last at 53.7).
Which given our youth is expected

Which given our youth is expected

It's kind of amazing how low our forced turnovers are considering we've been noted for being pretty solid with pressure. That said, I think the key is we're forcing more errors then we are committing. Not where we are sitting compared to the rest of the league.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

We may have the 2nd least clangers but we also have a low possession style so the ratio is really what'a important

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's kind of amazing how low our forced turnovers are considering we've been noted for being pretty solid with pressure. That said, I think the key is we're forcing more errors then we are committing. Not where we are sitting compared to the rest of the league.

Some of our worst turnover merchants are either gone or aren't playing, which helps.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm seeing this game as a win-win situation.
If we win, team confidence grows, more hugs and kisses..
If we lose, then bottom 4 is very much still likely, and top 5 pick will be ours for the taking!

Funnily enough, this has been a year where I'm enjoying watching the footy again, and I still can smile straight after a loss.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
I rarely read these things, but props to the filth wizard for an entertaining perspective

And thank you for the chicken.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Can not take the Roos lightly, last year they looked like a top 4 side against us and they only finished above us on percentage.

This young group needs to experience an away trip that goes well.
Hopefully Matty Nicks shows last year's tape and proves to the group that you only need to be 2% off and you can get spanked in a match by a lower ranked opponent

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades, Western United
I have zero confidence in this one. I'll take a one point win, even if it's a hack off the ground with 20 seconds left.

This game never fails to cheer me up.

Top 30 Afl 9 GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Round 4
Sunday April 11
12.10PM ACT

Pre-Game

The Record

Selection

The Game

Stats

The Opposition Diary

- for the good -

Previous games played

Arsenal? Masochism? You, sir, do not know the meaning of the word. Arsenals brand of masochism is finding out mumsie got you an iPhone 11 and having a temper tantrum because you wanted the iPhone 12.

And I just realised I wasn't quoting The Filth Wizard so that was completely wasted.

Back