HB: Houli Grimes Baker
C: Bolton Ross Edwards
HF: Lambert Lynch Ralph Smith
F: Rioli Riewoldt Castagna
R: Nankerivs Martin Cotchin

INT: Broad, RCD, Graham, Caddy

In: Ross, RCD, Ralph Smith
Out: Aarts, Mac, Prestia

Would be good to see us stronger around the ball against PA and Ross and RCD will do that.
Cotch resting more forward, but without Prestia probably need his aggression in the middle.

Caddy could be sub?

Would like to see another young player like Dow come in, even W.Rioli if he went okay in the practice match.
Perhaps Miller comes in as ruck back soon. Ruck relief instead of Astbury or Balta. Can always go back or even forward if need be.
We have seen what Chol offers, why not see how Miller fits in.

Need some new faces to wipe out last week and get some new enthusiasm going. Young players always excite teams.
I like these changes a lot mate. Pretty similar to what I was thinking. Only difference being maybe Martyn to debut instead of RCD ?? and maybe Chol instead of Caddy for a bit of extra height to help out Nank against Lycett/Ladhams as Port do generally go with 2 ruckman. CCJ would be really handy right now.

I agree, we are easily in the window and do not count last weeks loss as anything more than a bit of a kick in the pants, we used to beat Hawthorn as well in their glory years. But I think that young players need be be played more regardless of form but more on potential. Players that have the potential should be given a go. RCD has been knocking on the door for ages, Hardwick mentioned him all last year. Ross should have been played way more than he has. Stack was given a go on potential, he had been in the club for how long?

Battlers/roll players like Aarts and even Caddy to a degree (due to speed not skill), are given a fair amount of leverage. People have been on about Rioli for a couple of years now. He should have been dropped not subbed, and he dished up not much again. I'm not a player basher, but I think we should rotate players, Ross and Stack were revelations in their first season, maybe RCD is the next one, his game might be suited better at AFL level, some are.
Yep if it's warranted then obviously the players doing well in vfl should be given a go. There will be chances now. If Ross takes his chance with prestia out he will stay in the side

You're starting to sound like a fart that followed through from Andrew Bolts underpants - ur unhinged.

Couldn't care less what you tell your imaginary mates about your imaginary boss about your imaginary wife. Its not an uncommon thing for a husband and wife to talk together about decisions they think are best for their family moving forward. Its called communication. If you have seen the pressure of the company and job you are working in, ruin the lives of people who you know are strong ethically -then families which you know are strong also - then only an idiot would not consider that as a possible danger to their family. Trying to turn this into some sort of masculine " big dick" thing is pathetic. You are beneath me champ, last time i am responding to you
Hahahah what kinda s**t are you sprouting. This isn't about being masculine or anything it's about the fact it is stupid that a coach divorcing his wife will effect the retirement of cotch. It's absolutely has no effect and you have some issues for thinking so.

Not only that you go on about not respecting cotch and his wife or something yet you're here peddling rumours and speculation about them ? 🤣🤣🤣 You are embarrassing. You'll disappear if we win our next few games because there's nothing for you to s**t talk about

Funny how there are a handful of posters you don’t hear from until either a loss or a controversy. Obvious trolling and no doubt have alternative accounts to which they support other clubs. Some of the reactions in this thread have been horrendous and belong on the set of Bold and the Beautiful

LOL to be honest the issue seems not to be the people that fly in then knick off - - its the blokes that live here and create an echo chamber for each other like they actually own opinions to others.

To re-iterarte, for the 100th time - my original comment was i think we need to inject youth into the team as we looked every bit of an old and slowing champion on Saturday. It's time to put in some youth, to preserve our top players for later in the year - but to also start making sure we have the depth short-term and long term.

Someone else mentioend, they think Riewoldt, Cotchin and Houli will likely retire at the end of the year. Hardly controversial. I agree'd and said i think Cotchin is likely to as he is struggling to stay on the ground, but I also think the media incidents which targeted his family, plus the break up of the Hawrdwick family - will likely make him choose family over footy sooner rather than later.

That was it. Since then i have not spoken on the topic, unless YOU QUOTE ME. There was no drama until ya'll started clucking around like a bunch of sissy hens seeing a wolf approach your barn. Ive continued to talk footy - but, if you continue to quote and attack me, I will keep responding. This is how communication should work, instead you guys have a little circle jerk echo chamber going on which likes to, apparently, sit around and sniff each others farts.

All you need to do is accept thats my opinion, and move on. If you keep responding to me and saying i am this or that or calling me names, a nancy, a "womans weekly", "Days of our lives" - basically calling me a women (like that is a bad thing??) - this would have stopped 4 pages ago. I am not going to change my opinion. I dont care to change yours - BUT -if you want to keep attacking me, I will keep defending myself.

LOL to be honest the issue seems not to be the people that fly in then knick off - - its the blokes that live here and create an echo chamber for each other like they actually own opinions to others.

To re-iterarte, for the 100th time - my original comment was i think we need to inject youth into the team as we looked every bit of an old and slowing champion on Saturday. It's time to put in some youth, to preserve our top players for later in the year - but to also start making sure we have the depth short-term and long term.

Someone else mentioend, they think Riewoldt, Cotchin and Houli will likely retire at the end of the year. Hardly controversial. I agree'd and said i think Cotchin is likely to as he is struggling to stay on the ground, but I also think the media incidents which targeted his family, plus the break up of the Hawrdwick family - will likely make him choose family over footy sooner rather than later.

That was it. Since then i have not spoken on the topic, unless YOU QUOTE ME. There was no drama until ya'll started clucking around like a bunch of sissy hens seeing a wolf approach your barn. Ive continued to talk footy - but, if you continue to quote and attack me, I will keep responding. This is how communication works.

All you need to do is accept thats my opinion, and move on. If you keep responding to me and saying i am this or that or calling me names, a nancy, a "womans weekly", "Days of our lives" - basically calling me a women (like that is a bad thing??) - this would have stopped 4 pages ago. I am not going to change my opinion. I dont care to change yours - BUT -if you want to keep attacking me, I will keep defending myself.

Feeling a bit guilty?
If so
Case en point

CCJ has done his 10 weeks incident free. if the club was still pissed at him he'd be delisted. not selecting him when available as punishment is madness.
I really don't think Chol is AFL standard. But we may need a ruck for a week I'd pick Ryan. Selecting Egg was madness.
Hopefully Cotch is fit.

I dont really rate Chol either, but i barely think CCJ has done anything to really redeem himself in that 10 weeks - and i mean in regards to proving he deserves a senior call up. Sure he has had aa good attitude and trained well etc, but I want to see him perform for 2-3 weeks straight at VFL level before he leap frogs Chol. Sounds like he had a decent game in rnd 1 praccy- but not a whole lot seems to have happened since. Chol has proven himself at AFL level and with a lack of midfield options possibly this week, especially if Cotchin doesn't get up - Chol provides more around the ground support. CCJ has barely been playing ruck - predominately a marking forward. Thats not what we really need right now - we need pace and a back up ruck

Looking forward to your insights after our next win

I probably wont post after a win - i've always found people just sitting around on the internet, talking about how great we are really boring. Enjoying victory is something i can do without a forum - i will enjoy it with my family etc.

I find I only post when i think something needs to change. When things are going well - let the machine roll on without the noise. Mainly because i know my wife and young son don't really have the same depth of understanding, nor interest in the game as i do.

I probably wont post after a win - i've always found people just sitting around on the internet, talking about how great we are really boring. Enjoying victory is something i can do without a forum - i will enjoy it with my family etc.

I find I only post when i think something needs to change. When things are going well - let the machine roll on without the noise. Mainly because i know my wife and young son don't really have the same depth of understanding, nor interest in the game as i do.

That first sentence is all I need thanks.

it's about the fact it is stupid that a coach divorcing his wife will effect the retirement of cotch. It's absolutely has no effect and you have some issues for thinking so.
you do realise you're doing the exact same thing as that bloke? Just on the other side of the argument. If it's so stupid stop engaging ya *en peanut.

And before you have a cry, I'm not on anyone's side.

That was it. Since then i have not spoken on the topic, unless YOU QUOTE ME. There was no drama until ya'll started clucking around like a bunch of sissy hens seeing a wolf approach your barn. Ive continued to talk footy - but, if you continue to quote and attack me, I will keep responding. This is how communication should work, instead you guys have a little circle jerk echo chamber going on which likes to, apparently, sit around and sniff each others farts.

Jack and Cotch probably 2 years left each. I agree with you though - Injuries now will force Dimma to play more youth. I do think this will be our last genuine crack at it before this champion team starts to sail off into the sunset and we'll need to find the next batch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A brilliant place to be. There are no "sides" - just differences. A real lesson for the current times there.
A lesson that will probably go unlearned sadly. Not to mention the truth/reality probably lies somewhere in the middle of the views presented in this thread.

It's just irritating to see people get so worked up over someone's opinion (a truly insignificant thing), claim its stupid and a troll and then proceed to not let it go. That's illogical and borderline mental. Especially in a thread that's meant for a different topic.

But I'm irritated by it so I'm just as illogical I guess.

Guys,

There is no proof of this poster being a troll from the mods end. Please stop with the s**t fighting. If you do not like a particular poster, put them on ignore.

We do check IPs etc for potential trolls, however, what we won't be doing is banning users based on assumptions. If you have concerns, share them privately rather than piling on them publicly. It really solves nothing.

Guys,

There is no proof of this poster being a troll from the mods end. Please stop with the sh*t fighting. If you do not like a particular poster, put them on ignore.

We do check IPs etc for potential trolls, however, what we won't be doing is banning users based on assumptions. If you have concerns, share them privately rather than piling on them publicly. It really solves nothing.
Just saw this ,check your inbox for my report

B: Astbury Balta Short
HB: Houli Grimes Baker
C: Bolton Ross Edwards
HF: Lambert Lynch Ralph Smith
F: Rioli Riewoldt Castagna
R: Nankerivs Martin Cotchin

INT: Broad, RCD, Graham, Caddy

In: Ross, RCD, Ralph Smith
Out: Aarts, Mac, Prestia

Would be good to see us stronger around the ball against PA and Ross and RCD will do that.
Cotch resting more forward, but without Prestia probably need his aggression in the middle.

Caddy could be sub?

Would like to see another young player like Dow come in, even W.Rioli if he went okay in the practice match.
Perhaps Miller comes in as ruck back soon. Ruck relief instead of Astbury or Balta. Can always go back or even forward if need be.
We have seen what Chol offers, why not see how Miller fits in.

Need some new faces to wipe out last week and get some new enthusiasm going. Young players always excite teams.

Was Houli-IN/Egg-OUT so obvious you didn't bother including it?

Poor form mate, I saw Egg was not in the 'OUTS', looked through the team 4 times...looked in the back pocket, looked on the HBF, looked on the bench, looked in the ruck, considered the possibility you'd nicknamed him 'Ralph'...still can't find him. ;)

AN_UA_BBC_OLE_MISS_01_1_t600.jpg

Jack and Cotch probably 2 years left each. I agree with you though - Injuries now will force Dimma to play more youth. I do think this will be our last genuine crack at it before this champion team starts to sail off into the sunset and we'll need to find the next batch.
I Disagree with the highlighted part

Teams like Hawthorn & Geelong have kept in touch by brining in established players to stay in contention and have done so successfully until recently when Hawks have had to face reality and cats will do the same in 2 years time but Richmond have not traded away top draft picks and have continued to go to the draft adding to our young talent with some players showing their talent.
Balta - Bolton - Baker - Stack - Pickett (not young but drafted)

In 12-24 months we will see the likes of
Dow - RCD - Ross - Martyn - Cumberland - Naish - Biggy - Mansell - Ryan - Rioli - CCJ
All will be given a chance as well as more development and will have 3-4 of these players make that next step upto the senior team

We also have 6 picks inside top 50 to be selected in what could be the deepest draft in history due to the covid wipe out of 2020 junior season which has me really excited about the future of Richmond and our ability to not bottom out and maintain our top 8 status for another 10 years

Now with the impending retirements of players like Riewoldt , Houli , Astbury , Cotchin and maybe Edwards , Grimes , Caddy in 3 years time
This also gives us massive cap space to then go after the next 2 or maybe even 3 A grade talent via free agency to maintain top end talent.

Hahahah what kinda sh*t are you sprouting. This isn't about being masculine or anything it's about the fact it is stupid that a coach divorcing his wife will effect the retirement of cotch. It's absolutely has no effect and you have some issues for thinking so.

Not only that you go on about not respecting cotch and his wife or something yet you're here peddling rumours and speculation about them ? 🤣🤣🤣 You are embarrassing. You'll disappear if we win our next few games because there's nothing for you to sh*t talk about
We learnt the RAVEN rule in school...remember affect verb, effect noun. Just sayin'...

Guys,

There is no proof of this poster being a troll from the mods end. Please stop with the sh*t fighting. If you do not like a particular poster, put them on ignore.

There were some rather strange posts put up this afternoon from posters I'm not familiar with or had seen before. I hope they have sorted out their differences in a civil and amiable way. 🤝

Rampe was kind enough to offer a few insights into Sydney's strategy to break down our defense. The following is from the Age (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...y-flyin-ryan-soars-again-20210404-p57gdm.html)

Dane Rampe said after the game the Swans were acutely aware of Richmond’s defenders folding over to support each other and they wanted to break that down. The Swans forwards separated from each other, the midfield did not bomb the ball but searched out one of the six genuine forward options and delivered to leads. Richmond players were at a loss to help one another.

Richmond’s problem of being spread out and isolated was exacerbated by the lingering absence of Nick Vlastuin.

The new rules helped the Swans kick through Richmond’s team defence and construct their attack.

Richmond laid just 55 tackles for the game. The ball was not in dispute enough for them to apply their pressure. Sydney had 124 marks and 253 uncontested possessions for the day. They bounced the ball just three times. For the game. They tried to avoid running with the ball if they could instead kick it to a teammate.

I'd offer the observation that our midfield didn't bring the usual pressure and this allowed the Swans to execute this plan a little too easily.

I suppose we at least know what we're up against.

Any thoughts on how to combat this other than getting our midfield pressure back up so delivery to the oppo forwards doesn't work quite so easily?

Rampe was kind enough to offer a few insights into Sydney's strategy to break down our defense. The following is from the Age (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...y-flyin-ryan-soars-again-20210404-p57gdm.html)

I'd offer the observation that our midfield didn't bring the usual pressure and this allowed the Swans to execute this plan a little too easily.

I suppose we at least know what we're up against.

Any thoughts on how to combat this other than getting our midfield pressure back up so delivery to the oppo forwards doesn't work quite so easily?
Really missing Vlaustin as our main intercept marking defender. Need Houli back asap. Can't underestimate his steadying influence. I think we need to bring Balta up to CHB to help cover for our midfielders if we're getting killed out of the middle. Astbury, Grimes and Broad play deep back so Balta becomes our go to intercept man until Vlaustin is back again. Frees up Shorty and Bakes as our outside runners off the HB flanks. But it would really help if our midfield could just break even or better still get on top to ease the pressure off our defence. The Swans midfield killed us on the weekend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back