List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
You can blame him, but ultimately we did it to ourselves.

Add ignoring Ryan and McGovern when we had plenty of opportunity to draft both.

We may’ve had some good wins on the field during the Lyon years but the fu** ups by the club continued on.

Let’s face it we (the club) has just stumbled from fu** up to fu** up since our inception.

They’re (the board) trying hard to change this so hopefully we’re on the right track now - finally!
100% it's our fk up. But Hogan's still a campaigner.

Hurts that we could have had Ben King on the list.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We get ourselves in trouble with trading when we start chasing high profile players (Croad, Tarrant, Hogan).

Hogan was an odd one - on/off again - not sure if it was all part of charade. The media communication has outwardly indicated a full board decision. Either way we gave up too much. Why we had to give up anymore than a single first round pick still boggles my mind. Melbourne passed on the single pick for May and the concussion fella.

We could have done better with Lobb as well but wasn’t terrible trade. McCarthy first time around would have been a huge disaster.

Lower profile type trades have been quite reasonable - Hamling, BHill (when traded in), Wilson, Aish (all second or third round pick equivalents).

Our trades for players leaving have been good:
Weller
Neale
BHill

Others may disagree but even the trading out of Langdon - second round pick and even Crozier (end of second round/start of third round) were fair. Both players out of contract and wanted out.

I’d rather we never trade out early first round picks (ie first 13/14) for a quick fix and instead look with 2nd/3rd round picks to trade in value add (open to later first round picks for the right player if the first round depth of a particular draft is not deep like 2012 for e.g.). This in addition to free agency to value add.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
WAFL coltsWAFLEast Fremantle Football Club
AFL draft 2021: East Fremantle teenager Jack Williams proves he’s a Jack of all trades
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Mon, 5 April 2021 1:36PMComments
Jordan McArdle

Jack Williams is one of WA’s top draft prospects.

Jack Williams is one of WA’s top draft prospects. Credit: Paul Kane/via AFL Photos

This East Fremantle draft prospect is quickly becoming a Jack of all trades.
Athletic swingman Jack Williams showed AFL recruiters yet another side to his game in the Sharks’ season-opening win over Peel Thunder in Mandurah on Good Friday.
With back-up ruck Trent Giles concussed early, East Fremantle colts coach Adrian Ricciardello was forced to think outside of the box for a pinch-hitter to give Kobe McMillan a chop-out.
Williams, a 195cm talent, split his time between the forward-line and ruck, amassing 15 hit-outs to go with 19 possessions, six marks and 10 shots on goal including four majors.
“He moved around the ground well and won his fair share of hit-outs,” Ricciardello said.
He was our main target up forward as well as spending about 25 or 30 per cent of the game in the ruck.”
Ricciardello isn’t afraid to throw Williams into different positions, with the Rossmoyne product starting his bottom-aged colts campaign as a defender before swinging into attack.
The 17-year-old had a purple patch of eight goals in three games including 4.2 against fellow finalists West Perth in round six.
“I probably see him as a natural forward with the way he attacks the ball and his leap,” Ricciardello said.
Williams is one of four West Aussies in the AFL Academy alongside Swan Districts utility Rhett Bazzo, Subiaco midfielder Matt Johnson and Claremont forward Jacob van Rooyen.
The quartet will feature in the Academy’s clash against Geelong’s VFL side on April 24.
Josh Browne was another massive performer for the Sharks in round one, with a game-high 27 disposals, five tackles and a pair of clutch final-quarter goals to help his team win a thriller.
Browne is rated among WA’s best midfield prospects.
“I thought he was our best,” Ricciardello said.
“He won a lot of the footy, his defensive work was excellent and he had a massive influence in the final quarter.”
East Fremantle will be without important midfielder Sam Emery and Giles, due to the new 12-day concussion protocol, for Saturday’s clash against reigning premiers Subiaco at home.
Emery has had a flare up of a medial injury in his knee at the weekend but is expected to be right for the following round.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Williams is one of four West Aussies in the AFL Academy alongside Swan Districts utility Rhett Bazzo, Subiaco midfielder Matt Johnson and Claremont forward Jacob van Rooyen.
That’s exactly what I was hoping to see. Four local lads, all comfortably over 190cms, all with skills and upside. Grab a couple.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Johnson first. Then snag Williams with our second.

Van Rooyen sounds like he is not just a pure KPF, and could play other roles. Going to be interesting watching them develop.

Given the strength of last years KP player stocks, and the strength of the Mids in this draft, most teams will be looking for Mids as first round picks and the KP guys will fall a bit.

But having said that we need both.. top. End of WA talent is good this year, but Mids outside of WA looks elite!

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Given the strength of last years KP player stocks, and the strength of the Mids in this draft, most teams will be looking for Mids as first round picks and the KP guys will fall a bit.

But having said that we need both.. top. End of WA talent is good this year, but Mids outside of WA looks elite!
Johnson looks elite. Him and Chapman working in tandem all over the ground would be exciting.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Johnson looks elite. Him and Chapman working in tandem all over the ground would be exciting.

I would also have Johnson in the elite category, but can see the melts coming if we didn’t pick a KPF with out first.

Strangely enough this year the best KPF’s will fall and one may be available with our second pick.

Which one I don’t know, but 3-4 good ones are in the mix.

Rooyen
Lukic
Williams

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I would also have Johnson in the elite category, but can see the melts coming if we didn’t pick a KPF with out first.

Strangely enough this year the best KPF’s will fall and one may be available with our second pick.

Which one I don’t know, but 3-4 good ones are in the mix.

Rooyen
Lukic
Williams
It’s early days, but that’s how I am reading the reports too. Melts come if we don’t address KPF deficiencies, but for me doesn’t mean must be first round. Half back flankers will do my head in though.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
AFL draft 2021: WA draft fancy Matthew Johnson to return from quad injury for Subiaco against East Fremantle
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Tue, 6 April 2021 9:53AMComments
Jordan McArdle

Subiaco young gun Matthew Johnson is set to make his return from a quad injury this weekend.

Subiaco young gun Matthew Johnson is set to make his return from a quad injury this weekend.Credit: Danella Bevis/The West Australian

Reigning colts premiers Subiaco will be bolstered by the return of gun midfielder Matthew Johnson for Saturday’s clash against East Fremantle at New Choice Homes Park.
Johnson, one of WA’s top draft prospects, has been battling a quad niggle in his right leg for about a month which saw him miss the Lion’s opening-round thrashing at the hands of Leederville Oval co-tenants East Perth on Good Friday.
The club erred on the side of caution with the 18-year-old’s kicking not feeling 100 per cent heading into the match.
He was in the mix for an early league berth, as flagged by coach Beau Wardman during the pre-season, before the injury but will now almost certainly be eased back through the colts.
“He’s been going pretty well with us, his composure and ball use has been a stand-out for us,” Wardman said in January.
“We’re just trying to add some size to him, remembering that he’s only 18, but he’s certainly been mixing it with the senior guys and doesn’t look out of place.
“It’s obviously going to be a challenging year where he gets pulled and pushed a little bit from colts footy, senior footy and the national under-19s competition.
“We’ll just be open and honest and if he deserves and opportunity, he’ll get it. If not, he’ll go back and work on those things we’ve identified.”
Johnson already has a colts premiership medallion and was one of the Lions’ most consistent players last season as a bottom-ager.
The 191cm midfielder wins a lot of contested footy, racking up 15-plus touches in each of his 10 appearances in 2020, and is sound defensively, averaging four tackles per game.
It will be a huge boost for Subiaco against one of the strongest midfields in the competition, led by Josh Browne and son-of-a-gun Taj Woewodin.
Neil Erasmus was one of few shining lights against the Royals, amassing 28 possessions, nine marks and a goal.
Saturday’s match will be streamed live and exclusive on thewest.com.au from 9am.

enoenoeno

Team Captain
Nov 4, 2008
Hong Kong SAR China
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think if we are ever to load up and try to push for a premiership we need to get as many quality players available asap.

Given its looking like a lowly year wins wise, maybe we keep our first, trade next years first for another top pick this year, and hit the draft for 2 quality high picks and a good 2nd rounder...

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think if we are ever to load up and try to push for a premiership we need to get as many quality players available asap.

Given its looking like a lowly year wins wise, maybe we keep our first, trade next years first for another top pick this year, and hit the draft for 2 quality high picks and a good 2nd rounder...

Unless we can trade in a ready made KPF, which I am certain we all have zero appetite for, we have missed the Mundy/Fyfe/Walters window and we should commence planning for the next one imo.

Thoughts on Jason Horne?
Good footballer, probably out of reach for us.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thoughts on Jason Horne?
Looks amazeballs but as bad as we have been 2/3 weeks this year, is likely out of reach.
Unless we can trade in a ready made KPF, which I am certain we all have zero appetite for, we have missed the Mundy/Fyfe/Walters window and we should commence planning for the next one imo.
100%.

It may happen that Fyfe and Sonny survive just long enough to play 1 or 2 years in a challenge (ala Crawford) but they will not be the backbone of the main push.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Also likely afl decides GWS needs picks and hands the first 5 picks to them.
GWS need to get rid of Hogan. He’s been there 5 minutes and destroyed the club already...
Just jokes... but seriously if they get priority picks after two years out of finals I will probably go postal down at AFL HQ.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
GWS need to get rid of Hogan. He’s been there 5 minutes and destroyed the club already...
Just jokes... but seriously if they get priority picks after two years out of finals I will probably go postal down at AFL HQ.
For sure. But they need them successful and in their ignorance, draft picks seem their go to fix.

Back