News Crows Documentary?

Remove this Banner Ad

"So uhh here we uhh have the uhh empty glass with uhh our hopes and uhh aspirations uhhhhh"
It gets worse

My favourite part was when Coniglio did a pretty average half time speech, they win the game, and then the producers obviously plant Callan Ward to go up to Coniglio after the game and say "great half time speech mate"

One of the few interesting things about this slow as treacle snooze fest was the insight to Richmond

they didn’t nominate a player to follow around, they didn’t push their captain forward. Their approach to the whole exercise was different to other clubs, and then that spotlight showed a different focus

they showed the president, the CEO, the Coach all on the same page. Working together. They emphasised that they were in it for the fans

top to bottom they were aligned, and when they had hit 100,000 members training stopped so Brendan Gale could announce to the players; all of whom seemed excited

the focus was entirely on whole of club, not just the team, not individuals

Hardwicks team talks all focused on team, collective responsibility and eschewed the individual

everything was about the greater whole, and everyone was aligned and knew their role

no mention of fans going to support another club if they weren’t happy, no mention of agitators, nothing that said anything but Richmond, the Richmond way, and performing for the fans

no wonder they were successful

compare it with GWS.
I only read an article in the Age yesterday that Coniglio had refused to be joint captain with Phil Davis in 2019, and would only do it on his own. So when we see him as first year captain in 2020, it appears that was a condition of him rejecting free agency in 2019 and signing a long deal for the club.

i.e. make me captain if you want me to stay.

The article goes on to say Phil Davis didn’t want to lose the captaincy in 2020 and wasn’t happy about it.

so when you see what a lousy job coniglio does in 2020, you can triangulate it with his contract demands, his me first demands for the captaincy, and the effect that has had on the playing group

when you see Coniglio is out of form, and as first year captain routinely missing compulsory rehabilitation sessions and training sessions; you have the epitome of a me first culture, and the cracks in the playing group

when you see the players tune him out as captain when he speaks with them, it all makes sense when you see their onfield performance and player exodus at the end 2020

GWS and Richmond could not be further apart

One of the few interesting things about this slow as treacle snooze fest was the insight to Richmond

they didn’t nominate a player to follow around, they didn’t push their captain forward. Their approach to the whole exercise was different to other clubs, and then that spotlight showed a different focus

they showed the president, the CEO, the Coach all on the same page. Working together. They emphasised that they were in it for the fans

top to bottom they were aligned, and when they had hit 100,000 members training stopped so Brendan Gale could announce to the players; all of whom seemed excited

Hardwicks team talks all focused on team, collective responsibility and eschewed the individual

everything was about the greater whole, and everyone was aligned and knew their role

no mention of fans going to support another club if they weren’t happy, no mention of agitators, nothing that said anything but Richmond, the Richmond way, and performing for the fans

compare it with GWS.
I only read an article in the Age yesterday that Coniglio had refused to be joint captain with Phil Davis in 2019, and would only do it on his own. So when we see him as first year captain in 2020, it appears that was a condition of him rejecting free agency in 2019 and signing a long deal for the club.

i.e. make me captain if you want me to stay.

The article goes on to say Phil Davis didn’t want to lose the captaincy in 2020 and wasn’t happy about it.

so when you see what a lousy job coniglio does in 2020, you can triangulate it with his contract demands, his me first demands for the captaincy, and the effect that has had on the playing group

when you see Coniglio is out of form, and as first year captain routinely missing compulsory rehabilitation sessions and training sessions; you have the epitome of a me first culture, and the cracks in the playing group

when you see the players tune him out as captain when he speaks with them, it all makes sense when you see their onfield performance and player exodus at the end 2020

GWS and Richmond could not be further apart
So now that Coniglio is injured and out for a while do you think you'll see rapid improvement from GWS over the next few weeks?

They still have Cameron to fu** it up for them. He came out looking almost as bad as Coniglio.
Cameron looks much worse than Coniglio. Coniglio was thrust into a role for which he had no preparation, insufficient support, and no clue what he was doing. Coniglio is a victim, not a villain.

Cameron has the preparation, and support, and has been re-appointed to the role on multiple occasions... and he still has no clue as to what he's doing. Cameron is the villain of the piece.

Cameron looks much worse than Coniglio. Coniglio was thrust into a role for which he had no preparation, insufficient support, and no clue what he was doing. Coniglio is a victim, not a villain.

Cameron has the preparation, and support, and has been re-appointed to the role on multiple occasions... and he still has no clue as to what he's doing. Cameron is the villain of the piece.

Not true. As Sanders said, from the Caro piece in the Age, he demanded the captaincy as part of his 7 year $7m contract. He refused to share the captaincy with Phil Davis, probably the most respected man at the club on or off field, so there's resentment from the playing group as a whole and the leadership group in particular. It was his own doing, he wasn't thrust into anything.

You make your bed, you lie in it.

Last edited:
Not true. As Sanders said, from the Caro piece in the Age, he demanded the captaincy as part of his 7 year $7m contract. He refused to share the captaincy with Phil Davis, probably the most respected man at the club on or off field, so there's resentment from the playing group as a whole and the leadership group in particular. It was his own doing, he wasn't thrust into anything.

That hasn't come through in the documentary so far (I watched the first 4 episodes yesterday). His stuff with the 3 columns in the first episode was hilarious... one can only wonder what the rest of his teammates thought about it.

When you watch it it's easy to see how they came together in 2017 and rumbled us. They were a juggernaut where every single person bought in. We had half the playing group shitty at Lever, certain players thinking it was all just going to happen or someone else was going to stand up, players not seeing eye to eye with the coaching group, half the group not liking CM, coaches that didn't accept blame, Roo poking his nose in, admin worrying about baseball and Esports...

Funnily enough, despite our club being associated with CM, their atmosphere was more cult-like, but in a good way.

Last edited:

That’s hilarious. Coniglio demanded the role and refused to share it with Phil Davis in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet club chairman Tony Shepherd, who says he loathes all reality television, has chosen not to watch the Amazon series. Football director Jimmy Bartel said last week he hadn’t watched it either. Those at the club who were guided through the show’s more difficult moments as the season drew to a close say they were well prepared by the producers at Jam TV for what was to unfold and that for them pain had been dealt with long before the series’ public launch.

Got to say, it is obvious from the documentary the disconnect between Cameron and the playing ground; I guess the guys listed above are detached from it.

Does change my perspective of Cogniglio though - thought he was thrust into the role as well, insane that he demanded it, when he is clearly unprepared for it (and arguably not suitable at all).

Saw there were some bonus bits on each episode I hadn't watched. One with a meeting between Nicks and Hartigan after his punch up with Frampton. Hartigan admitted he was on edge partly due to his status in the team and his uncertainty about his long term future with Nicks admitting he was gonna play McAsey ahead of Hartigan to start the year.

Worked out in the end for Hartigan though.

Saw there were some bonus bits on each episode I hadn't watched. One with a meeting between Nicks and Hartigan after his punch up with Frampton. Hartigan admitted he was on edge partly due to his status in the team and his uncertainty about his long term future with Nicks admitting he was gonna play McAsey ahead of Hartigan to start the year.

Where do you find this?

this is amazing isn’t it?

do you think Richmond would have buckled to such a demand?

and then the little weasel is out of form, and doesn’t turn up to compulsory rehab & training sessions

you can see how entitled he is by the way he gets up and leaves without saying a word after Cameron patiently explains why he is being dropped

this is amazing isn’t it?

do you think Richmond would have buckled to such a demand?

and then the little weasel is out of form, and doesn’t turn up to compulsory rehab & training sessions

you can see how entitled he is by the way he gets up and leaves without saying a word after Cameron patiently explains why he is being dropped
What do you expect from a club with Jimmy Bartel and Mel Doyle on its board of directors.

He's still punching, though! ;)

Wonder how the sequel will go when they are teammates in 2022

G’day Crows,

forgive the intrusion, but just watched this doco, and found the issue of leadership the most interesting thing about it. Thought Adelaide made for such an interesting comparison with GWS. Both had disappointing seasons in terms of W-L, but very different internally.

Thought Leon Cameron never really had empathy or understanding for his players, and no warmth. I felt sorry for Cogs, who was unfortunately trying way too hard, although as one of you noted, he did refuse to share the captaincy before all that. Felt like Leon almos threw Cogs under the bus to take some heat off himself during a s**t season.

what a contrast to Sloane, who struck me as an incredible natural leader, partly because unlike Cogs he wasn’t so self conscious about being a leader - he just went out and did it. Thought he really ticked all the boxes, and perfect captain during a challenging period, with his positivity.

And Nicks struck me as very hard but very fair and honest - obviously he arrived at a moment when warm and cuddly wouldn’t cut it, but he still seemed very authentic in his connection with players. Haven’t followed how he is coaching on game day but from that doco I thought he was very impressive. Liked the big Texans inputs too.

what did guys think of the Crows leaders, particularly Nicks, in the doco?

G’day Crows,

forgive the intrusion, but just watched this doco, and found the issue of leadership the most interesting thing about it. Thought Adelaide made for such an interesting comparison with GWS. Both had disappointing seasons in terms of W-L, but very different internally.

Thought Leon Cameron never really had empathy or understanding for his players, and no warmth. I felt sorry for Cogs, who was unfortunately trying way too hard, although as one of you noted, he did refuse to share the captaincy before all that. Felt like Leon almos threw Cogs under the bus to take some heat off himself during a sh*t season.

what a contrast to Sloane, who struck me as an incredible natural leader, partly because unlike Cogs he wasn’t so self conscious about being a leader - he just went out and did it. Thought he really ticked all the boxes, and perfect captain during a challenging period, with his positivity.

And Nicks struck me as very hard but very fair and honest - obviously he arrived at a moment when warm and cuddly wouldn’t cut it, but he still seemed very authentic in his connection with players. Haven’t followed how he is coaching on game day but from that doco I thought he was very impressive. Liked the big Texans inputs too.

what did guys think of the Crows leaders, particularly Nicks, in the doco?
It's clear from the doco, and from what we've witnessed over the last 2 seasons, the club is focussing on repairing some of the damage and breach of trust in the playing group. We've heard adnauseum from people involved in the club that the group is as tight now as it ever has been, which in the early stages sounded far fetched. But now you are starting to see it come together.

This is very much due to Nicks and I think Noble is trying to do the same thing at North. Reckon Fagan did the same at Lions, as Hardwick did at the Tiges.

Part of it is also getting rid of those who don't buy in. We got so much abuse thrown our way for everyone who departed, but of those who did - who has gone on with it? I wouldn't have any of them back. They've shown they weren't prepared to buy in and be selfless to allow the club to succeed. But Sloane and Tex are. As are Smith and Laird.

It's clear from the doco, and from what we've witnessed over the last 2 seasons, the club is focussing on repairing some of the damage and breach of trust in the playing group. We've heard adnauseum from people involved in the club that the group is as tight now as it ever has been, which in the early stages sounded far fetched. But now you are starting to see it come together.

This is very much due to Nicks and I think Noble is trying to do the same thing at North. Reckon Fagan did the same at Lions, as Hardwick did at the Tiges.

Part of it is also getting rid of those who don't buy in. We got so much abuse thrown our way for everyone who departed, but of those who did - who has gone on with it? I wouldn't have any of them back. They've shown they weren't prepared to buy in and be selfless to allow the club to succeed. But Sloane and Tex are. As are Smith and Laird.
Right now, I would only take Charlie back, but it would also take a lot of our salary cap for effectively a small forward during a rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back