Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
He's not even getting the tackles anymore to compensate for his shortcomings. Looks tired and uncomfortable out there.
Reckon if Butler was playing he'd have been dropped by now.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
would rather stengle when he's not injured.
We had many players with run and chases, that’s not enough, that is backwards thinking, we keep carrying George’s poor form into the finals and we will be in some serious danger, Essendon came close to beating us, we need to wake up now! Keep in Lloyd (who can play many rolls well) and Garthwaite who is a contributor. I’d play with an extra defender instead of someone who is a one trick pony and his trick is not that great....that’s the truth.
sh*t skills that are often costly and lacks composure. Hopefully he’s replaced.
Of that 3 Rioli is well ahead ain’t even close
CASTANGA pressure is great BUT he will continue to cost us games- his decision making is a bigger issue than his kicking !!!!
I agree that Castanga applies great pressure and BUT THATS NOT ENOUGH- his kicking and decison making are not up to it and will continue to hold the team back!!!!

Just some quality melts from 2 years ago when Castagna was the whipping boy - Looks extremely familiar to this thread

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Just some quality melts from 2 years ago when Castagna was the whipping boy - Looks extremely familiar to this thread
You can add Butler to St Kilda melts!!!! Now Higgins is outplaying Butler.
I reckon the small fwd position is the hardest to play well. For that reason I'd rotate players through there. I know George played up the field a couple of times last year. And did well.

I remember saying to my mate after the 2017 GF that he’ll never probably be the same player. Bad ankle injuries are the absolute worst type of footy injuries you’re just never the same, and for some it brings early retirements.
Just two it ****ed from memory were Daisy Thomas and Ross Smiths young bloke at Norf who was going to be anyhing.

Last edited:
Im a massive Rioli defender but I simply think he is just out of form but unfortunately we don’t have anyone either who could slot in and play the role effectively
Last year we had Aarts putting pressure on the guys in the main team to perform but this year he is best 22

Rioli Jr is the only other candidate but isn’t ready to play big minutes at AFL level
I dare say we will just persist with him playing under his best and hope his form line improves

Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
Nothing's changed. If Castagna's playing s**t he deserves to be dropped like anyone. He's not playing s**t at the moment which is fantastic. Cherry pick some better material.

Oshka

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Castagna is still a very ordinary footballer. He’s just the best of a bad lot.

Our small forwards are well below average. I’m taking the following small forward groups over Castagna, Rioli and Aarts:

Ryan, Langdon (W. Rioli), Cripps
Butters, Fantasia, Rozee
Butler, Gresham, Higgins
Cameron, Bailey, McCarthy
Elliot, Brown, Daicos
Smith, Tipungwuti, Mosquito
Rankine, Sexton, McPherson
Pickett, Fritsch, Spargo
Miers, Dahlhaus, Atkins
Breust, Wingard, Brockman
Papley, Wicks, Ronke

Castagna, Rioli and Aarts are only marginally better than five or six small forward groups in the comp and are well below the elite. Aarts and Rioli are barely AFL standard. Castagna is a 5/10 small forward.

Oshka

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Also not sure why it’s such a big deal conceding that our smalls aren’t great. We can’t have guns in every position on the field. The salary cap just won’t allow it. They have all contributed to premierships but let’s not kid ourselves and pretend they’re out and out guns.

Our small forwards are well below average. I’m taking the following small forward groups over Castagna, Rioli and Aarts:

Butters, Fantasia, Rozee
Butler, Gresham, Higgins
Elliot, Brown, Daicos
Pickett, Fritsch, Spargo
Miers, Dahlhaus, Atkins
Papley, Wicks, Ronke

Castagna, Rioli and Aarts are only marginally better than five or six small forward groups in the comp and are well below the elite. Aarts and Rioli are barely AFL standard. Castagna is a 5/10 small forward.
Wow, pretty tough marker.
One thing about Castagna, he kicks for goal like Richo but it’s difficult to remember him looking knackered.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

Butters, Fantasia, Rozee
Butler, Gresham, Higgins
Elliot, Brown, Daicos
Pickett, Fritsch, Spargo
Miers, Dahlhaus, Atkins
Papley, Wicks, Ronke

Which of the above were premiers 19/20 ?

Names on paper mean sh!t , Premierships is what matters
I will take
Castagna , Rioli , Bolton over the lot

RJK Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
It is a team game, individuals don’t cause losses.
stupid ass 50's in the final moments of a prelim can lose you games. If we lost that game he would have been mud.

I like Daniel but he has spent 6 years being the same version of himself - if anything getting slightly worse. I thought we had a better player than that on our hands, but perhaps not.

Back