Podcast Weekend Wrap Round 2 v Cats

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Online next time thanks as the sound was not that good. Ned spoke well. I don't really see him as a long term player for us but he is giving his career everything which is a testament to him.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Online next time thanks as the sound was not that good. Ned spoke well. I don't really see him as a long term player for us but he is giving his career everything which is a testament to him.
Yeah sorry mate we don't get to choose how they connect with us I'm afraid. Usually they are calling in from their car on the way to or from training. Sometimes they just have shitty reception. Such is life for the lower tiers of the media where we sit :)

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cast was great live, even though I only caught the last half. Is it possible to have the live chat displayed alongside?
I try to have the chat displayed on the stream as much as possible, I might keep it up during the scenes where Im screen sharing. Glad you like the Cast mate, thanks :thumbsu:

Your thoughts on that Scorpus ? Ive read that re-uploading plays better with the algorithm and that YT really doesnt like serving live streams much. Have you got any insight?

Well I'm not sure why you'd think I'm some sort of YouTube expert... ;)

My main concern with re-uploading the stream is that basically you are publishing two videos within the space of a few hours: the initial live stream and the re-up. Posting videos on YouTube at the same time or within a small period is generally a huge no-no, as YouTube will likely only serve one of those videos to your subscribers on the home page or notifications. The ideal minimum between posts is at least 12 hours if not 24 hours. It's possible someone would be served the notification for the stream, only to have the stream deleted, and then not be served the re-up notification at all.

You're also having to contend with another issue, which is that you're re-upping the same content. Subscribers that have viewed the stream are unlikely to watch the re-up which is a separate video. This would hurt click through rate and views which will hurt your reach.

On the CrowCast channel I can clearly see that the newer streams from this year which are re-ups are performing better than the streams, however I think this is entirely down to thumbnails. The newer thumbnails are much better. Here is an example:

1617806654189.png

The Schoenberg interview is performing more in line with prior streams because the thumbnail is (to be blunt) terrible for selling that content. The newer McHenry interview has performed better due to the better thumbnail, at a guess. The red text is eye catching to an extent which would be significantly improving the performance of the newer casts.

I don't live stream a lot, but I haven't seen any performance issues with having the stream archive available on our channel. The views we get are generally similar to if we had uploaded that video and not streamed it (at a guess). However, what I would recommend if you are unsure, is just to experiment. Re-upload some of the streams, and archive the others. See what happens.

Here is what I would recommend for the channel:

- Probably don't re-upload the streams and use the stream archive instead, but experiment if you're not sure to see what works best.

- Work on your thumbnails to make them even more eye catching. For the interviews I would use a color version of the player's photo and make it extremely prominent and clear who the player is. The McHenry thumbnail is a good example, but swap the player photo for the clearest photo possible. For the weekly review/wrap episodes there are so many angles I would consider that I would have to write another thousand words here.

- I would possibly consider modifying the titles to play better with search, eg. including Adelaide or Adelaide Crows somewhere in there. For example, the trade week review episode could have been "Adelaide Crows 2020 Trade Week Review - CrowCast"

Basically what I would be attempting is to get the CrowCast seen as a recommended video for people watching other Crows content like match highlights, Adelaide Crows official videos, etc - rather than just attempting to reach people who know what the CrowCast is

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Thanks mate for having a look. I've been switching the live streams to private after uploading the recording. I'll do the next two or three without uploading and see what happens.

The YT channel in general is something that I've only just started investing any time into, and you're right about the thumbnails. Good point about the titles too.

I'll make some tweaks and see what happens. We've had steady growth this year so far but very small in the context of YouTube.

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Not sure if others agree but love Macca's thoughts on the other games, so please let him have his one liners.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Not sure if others agree but love Macca's thoughts on the other games, so please let him have his one liners.

People were complaining we didn't get into the crows match for 15 minutes... I think I'll make the first segment Macca's weekend round up and give him 10 minutes 😁

Freewayflyer

Senior List
Aug 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Yeah I agree...I don’t generally see too many non-Crows games so Macca’s one liners keep me updated on how teams are travelling beyond just the scores.

And thanks for the show each week team - always enjoy your work.

Back