Opinion Sack Hinkley 3 - 2021 is worse than 2020 already

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's early days yet but I can understand why so many are thinking here we go again, and that even if we make a gf during kern's watch the end result is just as likely to be a disaster as it could be a triumph.

We still have a tv bloke in the president's role whose ego could be seen from the moon, and who knows as much about footy as the average genuine Port supporter knows about brain surgery.

We still have a senior coach and senior assistant who would have failed grade one plasticene modelling, assuming of course they actually bothered to turn up to school on the day.

We still have a nucleus of senior players who regardless of continual failure when the whips are cracking still get ahead of themselves after a couple of soft wins against ordinary opposition and then go missing under the slightest pressure.

The above aside, us ungrateful campaigners need to realise for the umpteenth time that the kochmeister singlehandedly saved the `little old club from Alberton' from almost certain obvlivion, or forget his father was a reserve for two magoo's games in 1951.

You are making me feel ashamed you *ing ingrate campaigners! ;)

The club made a premiership pledge in the pre season.

Think hinkley is good enough or not, the club has set it goals , now hinkley has too prove his worth.

They in fact pledged to win 3 of the next 5 premierships.

So finishing in our usual 7th-10th spot this year will be well, well short of internal expectations let alone external expectations.

Wingard 28 is the one that gets me. He legit looked like he could have become the best player in the comp and at one stage was probably close to being in the top 10. Now he's coming towards the end and has never approached anything like the years he had in 2013 and 2015
Thankful that our club called it. Loved 2014 Chad but 2017/18 Chad seemed to struggle to jump or get off the ground.

The frustrating thing is that there's still a gap the size of the Grand Canyon between our best and worst. Two Easters ago we went to Perth and played incredible footy - we looked like we could have beaten anybody that night. Then we dish up that on Saturday night - it's bizarre. I'm heading to Adelaide Oval on Friday night with a fair degree of trepidation: who knows which Port team will turn up?
Do you remember the build up for that game? I remember quite well, because I was driving listening to the game (in Brazil!).

I was afraid to death WC would rip us off. That performance came out of nowhere!

The club made a premiership pledge in the pre season.

Think hinkley is good enough or not, the club has set it goals , now hinkley has too prove his worth.
Richo spoke pre season about "Striving for greatness" - Saturday night was all about striving for mediocrity. I want to see a savage reaction from our boys on Friday night, to emphasise which slogan is more accurate.

Last edited:
Hinkley needs to go.
It only reaffirmed my opinion when I saw Natinui absolutely dominating, and from my perspective the only change Hinkley made was try Ladhams and Gray in the middle.

From what I saw Hinkly made absolutely no change to our game plan, so many times just after the bounce there were 2 or 3 West Coast midfielders in the centre square that did not have a Port opponent within cooee of them. I know it's a very simple Plan B but when you are getting dominated in the ruck that badly what is the harm in trying to get your midfielders to blanket their opponent and turn it into a one on one contest? They did not seem to be "playing to a losing ruck" gameplan. And if that's the case then that is simply poor coaching.

Hinkley needs to go.
It only reaffirmed my opinion when I saw Natinui absolutely dominating, and from my perspective the only change Hinkley made was try Ladhams and Gray in the middle.

I’ve tried to be positive about the guy after the long overdue gains made in 2020 (albeit in what was a bizarro year), but there was so much of the trademark failings that I’m almost back to full-Ilias levels.

Apart from swinging the odd tall back or forward (Westhoff, Howard, Hombsch), what proactive moves does he ever make when the chips are down and the team has one of its vintage no-shows in a given week?

Why were Shuey and Gaff allowed to run around like unregistered dogs despite being underdone/out-of-form respectively? Why were Hartlett and Byrne-Jones both determined to impersonate peak-Pittard? DBJ was particularly horrid but this seems to have been hidden by his AA/B&F credits and the seeming ‘cooked’ status of the former.

It’s one thing to get beaten by a better side away from home on the day, it’s another thing to consistently look like a group of cobbled-together individuals who met each other on the morning of the game.

I’ve tried to be positive about the guy after the long overdue gains made in 2020 (albeit in what was a bizarro year), but there was so much of the trademark failings that I’m almost back to full-Ilias levels.

Apart from swinging the odd tall back or forward (Westhoff, Howard, Hombsch), what proactive moves does he ever make when the chips are down and the team has one of its vintage no-shows in a given week?

Why were Shuey and Gaff allowed to run around like unregistered dogs despite being underdone/out-of-form respectively? Why were Hartlett and Byrne-Jones both determined to impersonate peak-Pittard? DBJ was particularly horrid but this seems to have been hidden by his AA/B&F credits and the seeming ‘cooked’ status of the former.

It’s one thing to get beaten by a better side away from home on the day, it’s another thing to consistently look like a group of cobbled-together individuals who met each other on the morning of the game.

This: Why were Shuey and Gaff allowed to run around like unregistered dogs despite being underdone/out-of-form respectively?

My point exactly. Go back an rewatch at any point in time and you will see at least 2 WC midfielders within the centre square without a Port player within grabbing distance.

WTF was Hinkley thinking? Did he expect all of a sudden that our Lycett/Ladhams would start winning the ruck?

I've never been more convinced that Hinkley is a fraud who simply doesnt have a Plan B. If things don't go to plan, he has absolutely no idea how to fix it.

Jarrad Schofield, cmon down!!

This is gonna sound like one of those d¡ckhead callers to SEN, but after those first 2-3 Eagles goals, what was stopping him from making the very visual statement of leaving the coaches box and spending at least the rest of the quarter on the sidelines to sharpen everyone up as they rotated on and off?

If his strengths are motivation, do that.

Sitting behind glass like a stunned mullet chugging Coke Zero while the opposition runs riot is soooo 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This: Why were Shuey and Gaff allowed to run around like unregistered dogs despite being underdone/out-of-form respectively?

My point exactly. Go back an rewatch at any point in time and you will see at least 2 WC midfielders within the centre square without a Port player within grabbing distance.

WTF was Hinkley thinking? Did he expect all of a sudden that our Lycett/Ladhams would start winning the ruck?

I've never been more convinced that Hinkley is a fraud who simply doesnt have a Plan B. If things don't go to plan, he has absolutely no idea how to fix it.

Jarrad Schofield, cmon down!!
Shouldn’t Jarrad Schofield be accountable for our midfield failure, he’s our midfield coach right?

This is gonna sound like one of those d¡ckhead callers to SEN, but after those first 2-3 Eagles goals, what was stopping him from making the very visual statement of leaving the coaches box and spending at least the rest of the quarter on the sidelines to sharpen everyone up as they rotated on and off?

Sitting behind glass like a stunned mullet chugging Coke Zero while the opposition runs riot is soooo 2015.
Hinkley’s addressed the boundary line coaching in the past. Voss’s domain - and from reading/listening to interviews last year KH doesn’t feel he can ”see“ the game from the boundary. To be fair, those coaching from the boundary are being slammed for not being in the box.

Hinkley’s addressed the boundary line coaching in the past. Voss’s domain - and from reading/listening to interviews last year KH doesn’t feel he can ”see“ the game from the boundary. To be fair, those coaching from the boundary are being slammed for not being in the box.

The visibility rationale checks out, but as a rare and emergency measure, he could give it a try. Games such as Saturday night’s resemble that Di Caprio-Winslet film.

As soon as it started the ship was always going down.

If there will be an assistant on the ground or in the box, it’s really a matter of personality really.

and 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

This friday will be telling.
we either come out breathing fire and either win or make it a cracking game.
or we down play WC as a one off, come out and play like we should win and never get a look in....

ill visit this thread sat morning

Why can't we be coming out breathing fire every ******* game

hint. the answer's in the thread title

Iceberg = any team that comes at us, and is able to execute their gameplan.

Remember a couple of years ago when we beat Geelong at home, replete with a standing ovation in the final 30 seconds, only to come out and get smoked by the Bulldogs — whose only win in the previous month was by less than a kick over the bottom-placed Blues — at the same venue the following week?

8CE3EB49-4F10-4105-99D5-E67ED2069BF8.jpeg

🎶... and I knowww, that the Hink will sign onnnn

So many times this team just doesn't show up and you know within the first 5min how the game is going to go.
It's amazing the number of times that the full list of players doesn't show up at all. I can understand 2-3 having a shocker on any given night but our guys seem to arrange it so they can all go out together.
It's been 9 years and we've seen this on repeat. How can we not have some sort of plan in place to reset to at least slow down a game while we settle to be at least competitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back