Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
I can't believe he said carlton were the only club interested in him after he decided to move clubs!
I know it's early days, but my gut feeling is that Son of Curly is going to turn out to be an even better list manager than SOS.
It seems in one off season he has brought in EXACTLY what we needed in the 3 mature recruits. saad, Williams and Fogarty. Our speed deficiency and high pressure forward.

Then our 3 draftees look like all making an impact, Parks looks like he fits into our defence like a glove. Carrol was reportedly in line for a call up until he broke a thumb, and Durdin has been impressive during preseason.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Poor LOB. All he ever did was play junior footy at an elite level and earn a spot on an AFL list.
And not grab the multiple chances he has had under two coaches and underlings with both hands and become an AFL player. See others in the same draft class, well except Dow.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Can you show me one draft year, where the first 10 players selected, turned out to be the best 10 players of their draft year?
The answer would be none. The draft is a raffle, albeit an informed one. Doesn’t mean LOB is not a bust.

I know it's early days, but my gut feeling is that Son of Curly is going to turn out to be an even better list manager than SOS.
It seems in one off season he has brought in EXACTLY what we needed in the 3 mature recruits. saad, Williams and Fogarty. Our speed deficiency and high pressure forward.

Then our 3 draftees look like all making an impact, Parks looks like he fits into our defence like a glove. Carrol was reportedly in line for a call up until he broke a thumb, and Durdin has been impressive during preseason.

We needed to replace Kreuzer with another experienced ruckman. If Pitto goes down we're in trouble, and Pitto shouldn't be first ruck anyway.

djw1952

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2009
mentone
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
liverpool
In regards to LOB, I believe he will be one of the cast offs from our rebuild draft haul who may go on to success elsewhere, best wishes to him. He doesn't seem to fit Teague's framework and I don't believe he is tough enough. He goes missing when it matters and despite his lauded running ability, doesn't get to the right spots to be an outside link player.
Happy to be proven wrong but, I don't see it in LOB and we have quite a few in front of him.
Not all players are "tough", as in being prepared to get hit grabbing the hard ball, but LOB to my way of thinking is just not hungry enough and he is not alone in that regard as I find Sam P-S that way as well, and it is annoying because those sort of guys have talent but do not show it enough when the heat is on. Dow is another player who does not work hard enough in my opinion, and you just wish that some of the professionalism/hunger of Sam Walsh would rub off onto those other guys as we need them to step up or they become trade fodder unfortunately!!! It`s bloody frustrating as LOB probably has the best delivery by foot of anyone at the club.........:oops:

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

I think what Austin is doing now is thoroughly easier than what SOS was doing.

We'll see.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Jimmae I have dragged the discussion here rather than clogging the preview thread

Murphy does sit 2nd when comparing turnovers/clangers per possession, but the guys in yellow, 11 of them, have a better disposal efficiency as a whole. Meaning he doesn't hit his intended target as often as others. Given his strengths should be his kicking, he showed that against the Tigers at 87%, but then went at 62% and 60% in his next 2 games

EFFECTIVE HANDBALLA handball to a teammate that hits the intended target.

EFFECTIVE KICKA kick of more than 40 metres to a 50/50 contest or better for the team or a kick of less than 40 metres that results in the intended target retaining possession.

CFC Stats.PNG

So your claim, "No one uses the football better in our team than Murphy", is false, unless you have some other metric that no one else in the football world is aware of

Given you haven't claimed he is effective in any other area, I won't share those stats, but we all know where he sits

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I really don't get the criticism of LOB's "hard-at-it-ness". Whenever he's played, I've seen him wear contact without a short-step, seen him tackle with genuine intent, seen him desperately try to win the ball in dispute. For me, his hardness isn't in question at all, especially when you compare him with other outside mids across the comp.

It's his composure. He's prone to making unforced errors, and when he does it's often when he's in space and streaming forward, which means the rest of the side is streaming forward too. Miskick, turnover, everyone out of position, opposition score - possibly a 12pt swing.

But composure is one of those ones that is so hard to learn. You can't really do it at the lower level because when you step up the intensity does too, but a club won't tolerate poor composure in the seniors for long when it causes breakdowns in play that can cost games.

LOB got his chance this year, and may have bottled it in that one dropped uncontested mark followed by a panicked miskick and turnover.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Jimmae I have dragged the discussion here rather than clogging the preview thread

Murphy does sit 2nd when comparing turnovers/clangers per possession, but the guys in yellow, 11 of them, have a better disposal efficiency as a whole. Meaning he doesn't hit his intended target as often as others. Given his strengths should be his kicking, he showed that against the Tigers at 87%, but then went at 62% and 60% in his next 2 games

EFFECTIVE HANDBALLA handball to a teammate that hits the intended target.

EFFECTIVE KICKA kick of more than 40 metres to a 50/50 contest or better for the team or a kick of less than 40 metres that results in the intended target retaining possession.

View attachment 1095056

So your claim, "No one uses the football better in our team than Murphy", is false, unless you have some other metric that no one else in the football world is aware of

Given you haven't claimed he is effective in any other area, I won't share those stats, but we all know where he sits
I struggle with the effective kick definition. Why is it 40m and why is it the fault of the kicker if its a 30m perfect bullet and the target spills the mark. Why should that be an ineffective disposal. Sorry just an aside on those metrics.

My comment on Murph is that I do like what he brings offensively and probably organisationally but it's tough to reconcile with some of his contested work and defensive ball watching.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I really don't get the criticism of LOB's "hard-at-it-ness". Whenever he's played, I've seen him wear contact without a short-step, seen him tackle with genuine intent, seen him desperately try to win the ball in dispute. For me, his hardness isn't in question at all, especially when you compare him with other outside mids across the comp.

It's his composure. He's prone to making unforced errors, and when he does it's often when he's in space and streaming forward, which means the rest of the side is streaming forward too. Miskick, turnover, everyone out of position, opposition score - possibly a 12pt swing.

But composure is one of those ones that is so hard to learn. You can't really do it at the lower level because when you step up the intensity does too, but a club won't tolerate poor composure in the seniors for long when it causes breakdowns in play that can cost games.

LOB got his chance this year, and may have bottled it in that one dropped uncontested mark followed by a panicked miskick and turnover.
Every game Lobs played I've written down minimum 1 contest he's pulled out of or avoided.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Every game Lobs played I've written down minimum 1 contest he's pulled out of or avoided.

And the dozen that he's gone hard at?

Have you taken notes on whether a teammate was also contesting the same ball and whether having LOB hold position outside the contest was potentially more beneficial than a dogpile?

Again, I don't see a player who is scared of contact or the contest. I see a player who is actively trying to shake that perception, but making costly errors elsewhere.

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers

It's his ability aerially that lacks physicality. Ground ball his body work is okay, but completely lacks competitiveness when the footy is in the air. Having said that, there is still plenty to work with, just not sure where.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
And the dozen that he's gone hard at?

Have you taken notes on whether a teammate was also contesting the same ball and whether having LOB hold position outside the contest was potentially more beneficial than a dogpile?

Again, I don't see a player who is scared of contact or the contest. I see a player who is actively trying to shake that perception, but making costly errors elsewhere.
The only time I jot down a shirked contest is when I figured he was the man who had to go. Im not calling him a soft squib but he's not even close to someone like fogarty for attack on the ball.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
The only time I jot down a shirked contest is when I figured he was the man who had to go. Im not calling him a soft squib but he's not even close to someone like fogarty for attack on the ball.

Not many in our side are close to Fogarty :p

I maintain, though, that LOB is roughly on par in the physicality stakes with most of the genuine outside mids across the competition. His issue is that those players are often more damaging than he has shown himself to be so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back