List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting to see Leppitsch say Richmond weren't even considering O'Brien even with their Pick 17 in the 2017 draft. Did everything but call O'Brien soft.
Yup and Richmond rejected Stocker too after trails and interviews.
Then there’s the slow starting Paddy Dow , top 10 and top 20 high draft picks ?
There’s been a few howlers which have set us back, one would be hard pushed not to question the competence and due diligence of the recruitment department.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
There’s been a few howlers which have set us back, one would be hard pushed not to question the competence and due diligence of the recruitment department.

Far too early to be writing players off.
And Richmond have a perfect recruiting record now?

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
The club seem obsessed with personal milestones and feel good emotional content.
What more could supporters yearn for ...

You mean building culture, like all clubs that retain their declining players, which creates unity and respect?

While I prefer club made it clear to all players that they will pick sides based on output only, Murphy hasn't been our worst, despite my personally view that he should be replaced

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
According to FootyWire we have 23 players on our list out of contract at the end of thid year. Thats ridiculous

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
What we don't want is a squeeze ala Collingwood or GWS.

So 50k under here, 30k under there adds up to us having flexibility and being able to keep the side together.

Also we have the cap space, but aren't we after another midfield gun to put us in the top tier of clubs? If we pay both Cripps and Harry market rates, that would be virtually impossible.
And Walsh is OOC at the end of next year, before we chase anything else we need to sure him up.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
yeah it will get difficult no doubt and we may end up having no choice but to let H go if for example a monster offer comes through - Im sure some clubs will throw the kitchen sink at him in due course.

Tough job for the LM's but also, our game style should not rest on the shoulders of one player either. For example Buddy left hawks and they still went on to win another 3 flags. So as long as we have a good core of quality players and they are committed to stay together and try and win flags at the blues then we should be ok. Even better if H stays.
Good clubs always make it work, hopefully someone like C Judd is speaking to him about the benefits of field and opportunities that are available through our business connections that end up far more valuable than an extra few $ on his contract.

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
Good clubs always make it work, hopefully someone like C Judd is speaking to him about the benefits of field and opportunities that are available through our business connections that end up far more valuable than an extra few $ on his contract.

This is where I can see the justification for the way we've looked after Murphy and Betts. Loyalty goes both ways.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
yeah it will get difficult no doubt and we may end up having no choice but to let H go if for example a monster offer comes through - Im sure some clubs will throw the kitchen sink at him in due course.

Tough job for the LM's but also, our game style should not rest on the shoulders of one player either. For example Buddy left hawks and they still went on to win another 3 flags. So as long as we have a good core of quality players and they are committed to stay together and try and win flags at the blues then we should be ok. Even better if H stays.
If someone is willing to pay him $1M then we'd be well compensated, surely.

Having said that, quality FF will be worth more now with the stand rule coming in.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
According to FootyWire we have 23 players on our list out of contract at the end of thid year. Thats ridiculous
Footy wire ain’t accurate. When a player’s contract length isn’t officially released, which is almost never the case outside of free agents, they just put it down as a one year deal.

We had a whole thing last year where every couple of days someone would say “hey! I just found out McGovern is out of contract!” which was a fun exercise.

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
he's not there anymore

Blueyourmyboy!!

Senior List
Apr 26, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
After 3 rds it's clear that we another tall fwd short. Harry's going to be star but it's obvisious double teaming is going to happen constantly after his last 2 weeks. Charlie Curnow fit is amazing but it's an unknown with his dodgy knee and mc govern Is a third tall/utility at best and lazy so needs to be traded at years end.
2 out of contract players who are worth pursuing end of year are Jarrod Brandor & Ben McKay who can play key roles fwd and back. Securing both would be huge as Jones will be 31 next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
After 3 rds it's clear that we another tall fwd short. Harry's going to be star but it's obvisious double teaming is going to happen constantly after his last 2 weeks. Charlie Curnow fit is amazing but it's an unknown with his dodgy knee and mc govern Is a third tall/utility at best and lazy so needs to be traded at years end.
2 out of contract players who are worth pursuing end of year are Jarrod Brandor & Ben McKay who can play key roles fwd and back. Securing both would be huge as Jones will be 31 next year.
Jones might be 31 next year, but he's showing no signs of slowing down. He was one of the best on ground on Sunday.

In regards to possible replacements for him, I do believe we need to look at a trade and not the draft. Ben McKay would be my preference between the two you named, although I think Brander is primed for a big year if he can keep up his great form thus far. Both are still very young.

KPFs aren't as much of a worry IMO anymore. JSOS gave me serious hope following his 3 goal haul in the pre-season scratch match. Even in the two games he's played this season, his constant pressure and repeat efforts are amazing. I'd be more than happy with a Harry, JSOS and Gov (who kicked 3 in the VFL last week) key forward set-up for the rest of this year - or until Charlie returns, if he even does.

I still would be looking at picking up a KPF/ruck though, simply as extra depth in both those areas, a replacement for Levi once he retires, and even a 'break in case of emergency' option if Charlie never returns and several key forwards are already injured. But that's a decision that needs to be made at the end of this season.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

The same club that chose Ben Lennon over Patrick Cripps?

Their first round selections have actually left a lot to be desired despite their flag successes. I’d rather we follow the method they use in the later rounds.

Milshouse

Debutant
Sep 5, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Have to agree. List management, drafting and recruiting was hugely improved under Silvagni but as time has gone on l have become unsure about the structure of the list.

Carlton didn’t use enough of its draft capital on medium size hard running players who play outside the centre square on the pockets, flanks and wings. We have been incredibly lucky that Martin, Saad and Williams have chosen Carlton otherwise there would be a huge hole.

A couple of selections that have stood out are;

The Stocker selection in the 2018 draft l just did not understand. He just seemed like the wrong type, inside midfielder with poor endurance. We had already used a lot of draft capital to recruit Setterfield, Kennedy(slow) and Dow(poor endurance) to play along side Cripps.

The Kemp selection in the 2019 draft also worried me. One of my favourites from that draft but he was a big midfielder. Although he has some pace, he may end up more of a tall utility type, not the running\pressure type we need. On top of that he has to come back from a knee reconstruction which could affect his running capacity. May pan out but risky.

The Philp selection was more spot on for what we needed. Good speed endurance combo l believe that can provide run and pressure. Philp is the type we should have been more focused on.

Gws has run into the same problem only far worse. Lost running players each year but kept going to the draft and selecting inside midfielders. Now they are the slowest team in the AFL.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
It seems to me we need wingers walsh now on ball, flanks not so bad with martin, fogarty, jsos, fish, cunners, honey, owies, saad, doch, sps, non scream winger
Philp i would train there with his endurance and speed, not sure who else is suited, newnes battles hard but not great, williamson still unknown, sps maybe, cunners who knows, setters not suited at this point, kemp dunno, carrol is an inside mid i think, so wings need attention i reckon

Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Just want to give Nick Austin a shout out for what is shaping as a stellar first off season.

To have recruited Williams, Saad and Fogarty who have been among our prime movers so far, along with getting games from McDonald and Parks with our last two list spots is pretty phenomenal. Combine that with positive early reports about Durdin and Carroll and this is shaping as one of our most important off seasons ever.

May there be many more.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Just want to give Nick Austin a shout out for what is shaping as a stellar first off season.

To have recruited Williams, Saad and Fogarty who have been among our prime movers so far, along with getting games from McDonald and Parks with our last two list spots is pretty phenomenal. Combine that with positive early reports about Durdin and Carroll and this is shaping as one of our most important off seasons ever.

May there be many more.
Early reports say we missed one with Charlie McKay. Hope he is not nabbed mid season in the draft. Should be able to tight the wrong if he lasts until next year.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Early reports say we missed one with Charlie McKay. Hope he is not nabbed mid season in the draft. Should be able to tight the wrong if he lasts until next year.
There's very little exposed form form Charlie, I'd imagine that he'd be available at the end of the year should his form warrant selection.

It's a big worry when you look at who we've brought in over the last 10 years. So many previous high draft picks haven't reached their potential with us.

2009 - Kane Lucas (pick 12)
2010 - Matthew Watson (pick 18)
2011 - Josh Bootsma (pick 22)
2012 - Troy Menzel (pick 11)
2014 - Blaine Boekhorst (pick 19)
2015 - David Cuningham (pick 23)
2016 - Petrevski-Seton (pick 6)
2017 - Paddy Dow (pick 3) and Lachie O'Brien (pick 10)
2018 - Liam Stocker (pick 19)
2019 - Sam Philp (pick 20)

Who can say with confidence, that we've successfully developed these kids into AFL ready players? Cripps, Walsh and Weiters are the only ones in the entire last decade. Harry is too inconsistent, Charlie/Kemp mostly injured, and TDK too raw. Add on top of that, that we are playing Setters, Samo and Cunners out of position, and what do we honestly expect?

You can't move forward living in the past, but you can learn from your mistakes..

Nick Austin and the current list management group, installs me with the most confidence that our list is heading in the right direction.
Austin seems from last years results, the best recruit we have got in years

The Grover

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Jones might be 31 next year, but he's showing no signs of slowing down. He was one of the best on ground on Sunday.

In regards to possible replacements for him, I do believe we need to look at a trade and not the draft. Ben McKay would be my preference between the two you named, although I think Brander is primed for a big year if he can keep up his great form thus far. Both are still very young.

KPFs aren't as much of a worry IMO anymore. JSOS gave me serious hope following his 3 goal haul in the pre-season scratch match. Even in the two games he's played this season, his constant pressure and repeat efforts are amazing. I'd be more than happy with a Harry, JSOS and Gov (who kicked 3 in the VFL last week) key forward set-up for the rest of this year - or until Charlie returns, if he even does.

I still would be looking at picking up a KPF/ruck though, simply as extra depth in both those areas, a replacement for Levi once he retires, and even a 'break in case of emergency' option if Charlie never returns and several key forwards are already injured. But that's a decision that needs to be made at the end of this season.
Brander been mentioned a number of times. Unfortunately if he continues that output, he won’t be moving.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It seems to me we need wingers walsh now on ball, flanks not so bad with martin, fogarty, jsos, fish, cunners, honey, owies, saad, doch, sps, non scream winger
Philp i would train there with his endurance and speed, not sure who else is suited, newnes battles hard but not great, williamson still unknown, sps maybe, cunners who knows, setters not suited at this point, kemp dunno, carrol is an inside mid i think, so wings need attention i reckon
What's Boekhorst up to these days?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back