Preview Geelong v Melbourne Sun Apr 11 @ MCG 3:20 pm - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Cameron doesn't get up for this I'm tipping Melbourne. Hawkins will have no aerial support so it will be Tomahawk vs May, Lever and Gawn (when he rolls back). I can't see any way that ends well for us.

They will play Jenkins i reckon as the 2nd tall, we cant go in with just Hawk without Rohan there, as you say they will just rebound 50 time and time again

Was about to mention this. Melbourne's victims this season currently sit 15th, 16th and 17th on the ladder.

We only have two victims, and they sit 13th and 14th on the ladder.

Hard to really know where teams sit after three rounds when a single win/loss can change your position so much. But they've certainly been playing better than our previous opponents, so we need to be serious.

Probably needs a run in the VFL first.

The club is probably also wanting some consistency

Holmes had back-to-back BOGs in the VFL practice matches, and while Narkle was named BOG in our first practice match he hasn't featured in the bests the past 2 weeks

Maybe a case of rewarding the form at the lower level as we saw with Holmes - so there's opportunities for others but they need to show something to earn that call up to the seniors

If Cameron doesn't get up for this I'm tipping Melbourne. Hawkins will have no aerial support so it will be Tomahawk vs May, Lever and Gawn (when he rolls back). I can't see any way that ends well for us.

Maybe we could play Henry forward again? He was good yesterday - it was a clever move by Scott.

Agree though that Melbourne have some of the better interceptors in the game so playing Hawkins as our sole KPF is asking for trouble.

The optimist in me says that we went into the season thinking our structure would be Hawkins and Cameron as KPF, Rohan as third tall, Dangerfield spending time down there and then take your pick of smalls (Miers, Dahlhaus, Evans etc). No doubt Ratugolea would have been in our plans too. We haven’t seen anything near that structure yet, and Hawkins has had to do way too much heavy lifting. Yesterday he was essentially covering the roles of Cameron and Rohan as well as his own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We beat the Dees last year with a similar style of play that we witnessed against the Hawks. Not much will shift in terms of game plan this week. Can we make the excuses of a shorter pre-season BEFORE the game rather than AFTER the game this week. Personally 3 weeks in we should be cherry ripe so i'm not buying into that discussion !

The team for me:

FB: Bews Henderson Blicavs
HB: Atkins Kolo Stewart
C: Duncan O'Connor Smith
HF: Menegola Henry Clarke
FF: Miers Hawkins Dahlhaus
R: Stanley Selwood Guthrie
I/C: Parfitt Touhy Holmes Narkle
Sub: Constable

Out Higgins and Francis
In: Menegola and Narkle

Cameron, Danger, and Rohan to come back soon and will change things a lot.

Holmes is one I'm thinking may be a 75/25 to play against Melbourne, and it's not so much that he'd be omitted & sent straight back to the VFL but more about how he pulls up after the match, and if he & the coaches/medical/fitness staff feel he can back it up in 6 days time or needs to be managed after yesterday's effort

He's admitted to cramping up early in the last quarter yesterday and I feel like he spent a good portion of time on the bench in the last

Hoping he pulls up & recovers ok as I'd like to see him given more games, there was promising signs there yesterday but also don't want to run the kid into the ground too early
Medical sub?

Lets just hope it isn't anywhere nearly as bad as this game. I'd expect MOC to run with Oliver, Petracca can take him forward whereas Oliver is a bit more one-dimensional.

Why are we worried about O'Connor having to play back? I'd have him tag Pertracca for sure. I'm happy for Oliver to do all the jumping handballs he likes, it's the burst of Petracca that worries me.

Why are we worried about O'Connor having to play back? I'd have him tag Pertracca for sure. I'm happy for Oliver to do all the jumping handballs he likes, it's the burst of Petracca that worries me.

Petracca will eat O'Connor 1on1, I'd be extremely confident in that matchup. Oliver is more susceptible to a tag as well IMO, can lose his head a bit.

Petracca will eat O'Connor 1on1, I'd be extremely confident in that matchup. Oliver is more susceptible to a tag as well IMO, can lose his head a bit.
Given that our end game here is Martin I don’t think they will look at Petracca and chicken out.

That’s not my opinion.

He’s 6’3, 90kgs and IMO noticeably stronger this year. He was already a very good lock down defender.

Petracca is one of the competitions best players so he’s going to have an edge wherever he plays. But taking him away from the play to exploit O’Connor as a defender...I’m good with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back