List Mgmt. Adelaide Crows 2021 List Management thread

Will the Crows pick up any of these players in the off-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Does that mean we already have two vacancies? Actually, no dont worry about it. Murray took our vacancy didn't he. So we already have made one of the 3 compulsory changes. Think this year will be a three or 4 change year. Stengle and Mackay r defs. Davis will go if he doesn't pull the finger out. Strachan? Maybe a trade??
Murray is only contracted for this year, and effectively takes Gibbs' position on the list.

There is currently no replacement for Stengle. Assuming we don't make any selections at the mid-season draft, that would be one less vacancy we will need to create at the end of the year.

I think Mackay & Davis are certainties to depart, but both are on the rookie list. The only way that helps us meet the minimum 3 ND selections is if we move someone else (e.g. Lynch) to the rookie list in their place.

It's hard to see Strachan getting another contract, but stranger things have happened.

It's quite possible that Stengle, Mackay & Davis are our only departures. That would meet our ND requirement, if we then shuffle 2 players from the senior list to the rookie list.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Murray is only contracted for this year, and effectively takes Gibbs' position on the list.

There is currently no replacement for Stengle. Assuming we don't make any selections at the mid-season draft, that would be one less vacancy we will need to create at the end of the year.

I think Mackay & Davis are certainties to depart, but both are on the rookie list. The only way that helps us meet the minimum 3 ND selections is if we move someone else (e.g. Lynch) to the rookie list in their place.

It's hard to see Strachan getting another contract, but stranger things have happened.

It's quite possible that Stengle, Mackay & Davis are our only departures. That would meet our ND requirement, if we then shuffle 2 players from the senior list to the rookie list.
Remember that Butts has to be added to the senior list next year too, as this is his third and final year he can spend on the rookie list

I reckon both Lynch and Seedsman could be shuffled. Teams seem to be doing that more and more with experienced players

Assuming we keep one mid-season draft guy on our list (out of the two we likely take), Strachan/Mackay/Davis get delisted and Butts gets elevated, that leaves one rookie spot to fill, I believe. With Stengle, Lynch and Seedsman taken off the senior list and Butts added, that's already two spots to fill, without taking into account other guys that could leave/be delisted

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Inside Midfielder/Defender, he's more versatile than you give him credit for.

Do you have the T.O.G stats for the SANFL or know where they can be sourced?

All this off one ******* SANFL game....
No one is crapping on the kid. They're just being realistic about his place in the queue.

If we need to cut five or six players, who do you see going before him?

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Does that mean we already have two vacancies? Actually, no dont worry about it. Murray took our vacancy didn't he. So we already have made one of the 3 compulsory changes. Think this year will be a three or 4 change year. Stengle and Mackay r defs. Davis will go if he doesn't pull the finger out. Strachan? Maybe a trade??

You're just discussing rookie listed players - Mackay, Davis, Strauchan.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
You're just discussing rookie listed players - Mackay, Davis, Strauchan.
The proposed plan is this:
Delist: Stengle (senior), Mackay (rookie), Davis (rookie), Strachan (rookie)
Move to Rookie List: Lynch, Seed

That leaves us with 3 vacancies on the senior list, plus 1 on the rookie list.

Aug 17, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Surely we will use the mid season draft where my count is could take 2 if wanted to .
And with no games in Victoria surely a few good players slipped through and will show they are AFL ready.
Personally watching Callow and Maher performances as were rated leading to draft.
Taking chance with someone with real speed would no go astray in our squad.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Surely we will use the mid season draft where my count is could take 2 if wanted to .
And with no games in Victoria surely a few good players slipped through and will show they are AFL ready.
Personally watching Callow and Maher performances as were rated leading to draft.
The problem with taking someone at the mid-season draft is that we still need to select at least 3 players in the ND, and it's not obvious who will be retired/traded/delisted to make that happen.

If we select a player in the mid-season draft, then we would be expected to give them another contract at the end of the year. That's one less position available for us to fill at the ND/RD, noting that the AFL mandates a minimum of 3 ND selections.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
The problem with taking someone at the mid-season draft is that we still need to select at least 3 players in the ND, and it's not obvious who will be retired/traded/delisted to make that happen.

If we select a player in the mid-season draft, then we would be expected to give them another contract at the end of the year. That's one less position available for us to fill at the ND/RD, noting that the AFL mandates a minimum of 3 ND selections.
History shows being taken in the mid season draft is no guarantee of a contract at the end of the year especially if an older player.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
History shows being taken in the mid season draft is no guarantee of a contract at the end of the year especially if an older player.
I would hope that we'd be looking at the Victorian kids overlooked in the 2020 draft, if we were to make a mid-season draft selection. I would be very surprised to see us pick a mature-age player, given the demographics of our list.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
The proposed plan is this:
Delist: Stengle (senior), Mackay (rookie), Davis (rookie), Strachan (rookie)
Move to Rookie List: Lynch, Seed

That leaves us with 3 vacancies on the senior list, plus 1 on the rookie list.

I don't mind this - it means we take neither of our NGA players and wouldn't look to trade anyone in. I guess you cross that bridge once you know more.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I would hope that we'd be looking at the Victorian kids overlooked in the 2020 draft, if we were to make a mid-season draft selection. I would be very surprised to see us pick a mature-age player, given the demographics of our list.

Dependes what 'mature" means. A 22 year old would still make sense - but, yes - I'd hope that we'd look to grab AT LEAST one 19 year old in the mideseason draft, and it would be silly to not re-sign them six months later.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Dependes what 'mature" means. A 22 year old would still make sense - but, yes - I'd hope that we'd look to grab AT LEAST one 19 year old in the mideseason draft, and it would be silly to not re-sign them six months later.
... and that's the point I'm making. We're already struggling to identify players to retire/delist/trade, in order to meet the AFL's mandatory minimum 3x ND selections. If we grab even one 19yo kid in the mid-season draft, then they would quite rightly expect to receive a contract at the end of the year. That makes the task of meeting the 3x ND selection rule even harder.

We currently have 3 positions which we could fill via the mid-season draft - Stengle, Hinge, and Milera. I would be shocked if we were to take more than one player in the mid-season draft, and would not be at all surprised if we passed on it completely. The reason for doing so would not be a lack of talent, but having both eyes fixed on the bigger list management picture.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
... and that's the point I'm making. We're already struggling to identify players to retire/delist/trade, in order to meet the AFL's mandatory minimum 3x ND selections. If we grab even one 19yo kid in the mid-season draft, then they would quite rightly expect to receive a contract at the end of the year. That makes the task of meeting the 3x ND selection rule even harder.

We currently have 3 positions which we could fill via the mid-season draft - Stengle, Hinge, and Milera. I would be shocked if we were to take more than one player in the mid-season draft, and would not be at all surprised if we passed on it completely. The reason for doing so would not be a lack of talent, but having both eyes fixed on the bigger list management picture.

... surely the bigger list management picture is solved by being more proactive with our cuts.

I understand why people would assume we'd do less - but considering the rage of opportunities we have to improve our list (19 year olds, Dudley/O'Laughlin, trades) I'd be disappointed if we just thought our list was fine and didn't need more work.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
... surely the bigger list management picture is solved by being more proactive with our cuts.

I understand why people would assume we'd do less - but considering the rage of opportunities we have to improve our list (19 year olds, Dudley/O'Laughlin, trades) I'd be disappointed if we just thought our list was fine and didn't need more work.
There really aren't many obvious cuts this year, proactive or otherwise - and (aside from Stengle), all of the obvious outs are already on the rookie list.

We all know you have an addiction to PlayStation trading, but in the real world there really aren't many delist/trade/retire candidates in this year's group of uncontracted players. They're not getting rid of Lynch, Seed or Kelly, no matter how much you PlayStation their departures - though I could see Lynch being moved to the rookie list.

The other question is whether there are any contracted players we would want to cut, given that we do have the salary cap capacity to pay out contracts this year. Chayce Jones, maybe?

I'm cold on Callow and Maher. Both had trial periods with AFL clubs, both were overlooked.

Could be a blessing in disguise, but at the moment, they seem overhyped.

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
I'm cold on Callow and Maher. Both had trial periods with AFL clubs, both were overlooked.

Could be a blessing in disguise, but at the moment, they seem overhyped.
Unless there's a real standout, mid season draft is there for needs. That might depend on how many injuries we have in ruck, midfield, forward and defensive lines by then.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
A couple of things:

1. we are not struggling to identify players to cut. It’s not our job, and the people on the ground would have a fair idea how these guys are tracking.

2. every year there are over-agers who bloom after their original draft age. The mid year draft is an opportunity to identify 1 or 2 guys like this, and get them cheaper than in the main draft. But your Judgement has to be right, if you’re going early then best be right.

3. The opportunity is about early listing for a cheaper price, not about topping up your list for this year. Unlikely, not impossible, but unlikely they have the fitness base to help out this season

if you see a Tim Kelly or a Shane McAdam where the light has gone on - then great. We as a club though has preferred the wider body of evidence before making that call

we already had a Mullighan with Nick Murray, I’m not sure we’ll roll the dice again mid year

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Just for clarification, as there is going to be a mid season draft where players can be drafted, is there also the opportunity for players to be cut in that same time frame?

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Unless there's a real standout, mid season draft is there for needs. That might depend on how many injuries we have in ruck, midfield, forward and defensive lines by then.
Pretty much how I see it

There's inevitably going to be one or two 19yo overagers who take the NAB League by storm. These will be the grand prizes of the mid-season draft, and will likely be taken in the first couple of picks. Given our form at present, I'd argue we probably won't have a pick in that range. Otherwise, the majority of picks will probably be used on mature-age guys (as they were in 2019 - Snelling, Pickett, Sutcliffe, Deluca, Noble etc)

I can really only see us taking one selection in the mid-season draft, even with three list spot openings, in order to give us more flexibility at the end of the year. And it'll be a mature ager in a position of need

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
A couple of things:

1. we are not struggling to identify players to cut. It’s not our job, and the people on the ground would have a fair idea how these guys are tracking.

2. every year there are over-agers who bloom after their original draft age. The mid year draft is an opportunity to identify 1 or 2 guys like this, and get them cheaper than in the main draft. But your Judgement has to be right, if you’re going early then best be right.

3. The opportunity is about early listing for a cheaper price, not about topping up your list for this year. Unlikely, not impossible, but unlikely they have the fitness base to help out this season

if you see a Tim Kelly or a Shane McAdam where the light has gone on - then great. We as a club though has preferred the wider body of evidence before making that call

we already had a Mullighan with Nick Murray, I’m not sure we’ll roll the dice again mid year
With Murray apparently we led him to believe the previous year we were a good chance to rookie him but we didn't pull the trigger in the end and then this last draft we told him we weren't going to draft him but told him if he was prepared to come over and train with us there was a chance he'd get a rookie spot, in the end we went with him and not Ayce Taylor who was the the other player vying for the spot.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Pretty much how I see it

There's inevitably going to be one or two 19yo overagers who take the NAB League by storm. These will be the grand prizes of the mid-season draft, and will likely be taken in the first couple of picks. Given our form at present, I'd argue we probably won't have a pick in that range. Otherwise, the majority of picks will probably be used on mature-age guys (as they were in 2019 - Snelling, Pickett, Sutcliffe, Deluca, Noble etc)

I can really only see us taking one selection in the mid-season draft, even with three list spot openings, in order to give us more flexibility at the end of the year. And it'll be a mature ager in a position of need
Strongly built midfielder Charlie McKay son of Carlton champion Andrew McKay who was overlooked as a F/S by the Blues in last year's draft looks to be the early clubhouse leader of the 19 year olds. I think if it comes to the 2021 National Draft Carlton still have 1st dibs but I don't think that applies to the mid season draft?

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Strongly built midfielder Charlie McKay son of Carlton champion Andrew McKay who was overlooked as a F/S by the Blues in last year's draft looks to be the early clubhouse leader of the 19 year olds. I think if it comes to the 2021 National Draft Carlton still have 1st dibs but I don't think that applies to the mid season draft?
Think that's the case with academy picks from what I've read, couldn't say re: F/S picks though. I'm guessing it would work the same

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Think that's the case with academy picks from what I've read, couldn't say re: F/S picks though. I'm guessing it would work the same
Have either of you seen him play?

Would he be worth a look?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Have either of you seen him play?

Would he be worth a look?
Only the once in yesterday's NAB League game and he was pretty bloody impressive in that game.

Capture.PNG

Back