Autopsy Rd 3 Insipid Loss to Carlton (Be Civil)

Remove this Banner Ad

If you want to let Lyon go why try to rewrite history.
Why not tell the truth, he was a great coach that gave us a hell of a good run between 2012 and 2015 but he ran out of steam and the club moved on.
Agreed, we had a good team that he got almost everything out of and that’s about it. After 2015, when the quality fell away, so did his coaching

Can people let go of Ross? He had his day but he was absolutely cooked as a coach from mid 2015 onwards.

Also, as a woman, I don’t want the club I support having a revolting old misogynist at the wheel.

I’m willing to keep backing JLo and see how we go this year. Like I said in another thread, still many rounds to go.

Why the insults, you know nothing about Lyons private life.
I know nothing about you but nasty gossip mongerer come to mind.

If you want to let Lyon go why try to rewrite history.
Why not tell the truth, he was a great coach that gave us a hell of a good run between 2012 and 2015 but he ran out of steam and the club moved on.
Agree. It’s easy to look back in hindsight. Even now fans (if they’re fans) keep backing the theory that Harvey would’ve been better. The media portrayed Lyon as a defensive dinosaur and oftentimes members believed it. I’d rather win ugly then lose.
JLo has the tools to be a great coach as well.

Can people let go of Ross? He had his day but he was absolutely cooked as a coach from mid 2015 onwards.

Also, as a woman, I don’t want the club I support having a revolting old misogynist at the wheel.

I’m willing to keep backing JLo and see how we go this year. Like I said in another thread, still many rounds to go.
The opposite way to let go of Lyon is to ask people to let go of Lyon. There's still plenty of passion inflamed there.

Also, besides one noted superfan, I've noticed the ones who have the hardest time letting go of Ross are those who have a strong negative view of him.

Like a lot of you, I had a severe meltdown during and following the game on Sunday.... however I'm about to construct a post consisting only of POSITIVES.

- Chapman was objectively very good. Switched between Silvagni and Casboult, would have kept them both to zero goals had it not been for that haunted 'in the back' free kick.

- Tactless to complain about the umpiring but the standard on Sunday felt like a once in a lifetime event. No doubt the decisions were negligible on the result, but it really felt and looked like the umpires were feeding into the crowd's hysteria. Some of the decisions looked emotional rather than pragmatic, because it sure as hell felt like we got a softer interpretation in the last quarter.

- Frederick's potential is really exciting, he is improving with every game and with time and a great base fitness, he could become an impossible match up on the wing.

- A few people said they were unhappy with Henry's game, but from what I saw he did a lot right. He's got a long way to go and has never really looked appropriately fit, but he's building to be an effective impact player. He could do with a full game at Peel this week with Blakely as a possible sub?

- Young & Schultz not being available will force team inclusions that will improve balance and structure. I'm not happy they're injured and neither deserve to lose their place, but Sturt, Treacy & Fyfe will make us taller in the front half.

- A lot of the players consistently mentioned on here as not being up to AFL standard wouldn't be playing if we had, even a normal amount of injuries.

Newsflash, you got your wish. THE CLUB sacked Ross.

If you want FANS to join you in demonizing the most successful coach in our history because of something they read on the internet, you're gonna have a bad time.

Ross Lyon will still be talked about next year if JLO is coach and he'll be talked about the year after when he isn't anymore. JLO has proven he's a dud coach with wins and losses even though some of us could tell as soon as he opened his dopey mouth and thanked west coast in his first presser.

As a MAN, I'm interested to see how this experiment of a whole football club of eunuchs works out. So far, not good. Who will we get rid of this year for not towing the company line?
Wait, you think it started off badly because he thanked West Coast in a presser? In what way does that hold any value?

Yep wouldnt want to be associated with a well run, winning culture of a club would we :rolleyes:
Yeah we'll play into some dead rivalry that neither the coaches or players give a * about anymore. Why associate with a winning culture when you have that 🙄

Lol you need to calm down

I don't think you needed to add in the personal insult to Lyon... no one here knows what did or did not happen. If it is what you are alluding too, then Bell and the president and most of the board should go as well for allowing him to stay and helping cover it up. As to the NDA, I have said this before and will do again, they are not proof of anything sinister. I consult for clients who have each employee sign them and every vendor even if they are providing a simple service like gyprocking etc.

As to the rest of your post... I agree in part that talking about him less would be good. We shouldn't re-write history though, he was a great coach and gave our team the most success it has had by miles.

I do think we traded one defensive coach for another... not that I mind that. I also think that the reasons for not criticising Justin would not be accepted if Ross was the coach. Having said all that... I think we will win this week and be 2-2. We have to win at least three away to get close to finals. That is the challenge now.

Cerra getting whacked from all corners. Wasn’t his best day out but all of the midfield (and every other position), were beaten comprehensively. Definitely made some errors but set up some goals with his ball use too.

Supporters love sticking the boot in and picking out individuals but it was not a personnel issue, it was the whole team being beaten and our system faltering.

No doubt the additions of Fyfe, Treacy and Sturt will help going forward but we were off yesterday and beaten by a hungrier team on the day.
Spot on. Because he hasn't signed an extension (yet) people on here will unnecessarily target him 24/7. He set up goals and has been one of our better players this season, but they don't care

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think you needed to add in the personal insult to Lyon... no one here knows what did or did not happen. If it is what you are alluding too, then Bell and the president and most of the board should go as well for allowing him to stay and helping cover it up. As to the NDA, I have said this before and will do again, they are not proof of anything sinister. I consult for clients who have each employee sign them and every vendor even if they are providing a simple service like gyprocking etc.

As to the rest of your post... I agree in part that talking about him less would be good. We shouldn't re-write history though, he was a great coach and gave our team the most success it has had by miles.

I do think we traded one defensive coach for another... not that I mind that. I also think that the reasons for not criticising Justin would not be accepted if Ross was the coach. Having said all that... I think we will win this week and be 2-2. We have to win at least three away to get close to finals. That is the challenge now.
It was not flying for Lyon because it had been 4 years of trash after dropping from minor premiers straight into oblivion. This is JL's second year for crying out loud it's like your tacking Lyons 4 years previous onto Longmuirs tally.
Edit: not you specifically but in general all the commentary going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was not flying for Lyon because it had been 4 years of trash after dropping from minor premiers straight into oblivion. This is JL's second year for crying out loud it's like your tacking Lyons 4 years previous onto Longmuirs tally.
I blame Longmuir for all 26 years! He's had a whole 20 games to turn around the s**t that has been this football club. That's almost a full regular season worth of games! To only have 8 wins and 12 losses so far is unacceptable coaching.

Clarkson won 5 and lost 17 in his first 22 games coaching. Hawks should have dumped his arse.
Hardwick won 6 and lost 16 in his first 22 games coaching. Richmond idiots lost their chance to dump him.
Simpson won 11 and lost 11 in his first 22 games coaching. Is half enough? Think WC made a mistake keeping him.
Beveridge won 14 and lost 8 in his first 22 games coaching. I think we've found the coaching record we need to pluck out to compare against!

To the Melt Thread! Or whatever it is called now.

No incoming coach would get more than a season as a honeymoon period. The chairman made that clear too. Not appearing to have advanced much is a fair enough concern. A big factor for me is Fyfe and his lifespan as a player. We certainly need to be up and about for the the next few years.

Adelaide, Essendon, St Kilda and Collingwood. Sydney and Hawthorn possibly aswell.

So it has taken a few days for me to be able to brace myself enough to check in on Big Footy.
A very quick skim of everything above and Im glad I did.
For what its worth my opinion of the game is very close to the the first round game and of the club overall at the moment.
With out offence to anyone but Freo look like a bunch of pussy's that cant work out why the world is so tough and against them while they long to be back under the warm self assuring brace of mothers breasts.

In reality we are a side that is very young and easily bullied.
We are a side that is relatively smaller and weaker than the opposition.
We are also a side that hasnt had enough experience or grit coached into them to counteract that.
The Fremantle Dockers seam to have a mandate of wanting to be the goody two shoes of the AFL to appease the ever easily offended unhappy supporters.
Some times the old saying rings true 'good guys finish last'.

We can only hope now that the inexperienced but full of potential and all round good guy class act of a club thats squeaky clean off field can learn in a hurry that they need to loose the good guy act and bring back some biff and grit to their psyche.
That starts with the Board but right now the coaching staff need to push for it and the easily offended unhappy supporters need to remember that the world is not a lovey dovey fire dance at sunset on South Beach foreshore and let the club get on with it.

We dont want dirty play in the game but some times you need to fight fire with fire, right now we are just lighting incense with that fire and letting our selves get burnt by teams that really arn't as good as us.

Fingers crossed JL and co can see this and quickly learn to fix it because I'm running out of incense, essential oils and mediation podcasts to help get over games like this one.

Ps. we are only 3 games in lets all just chill out a little bro

No incoming coach would get more than a season as a honeymoon period. The chairman made that clear too. Not appearing to have advanced much is a fair enough concern. A big factor for me is Fyfe and his lifespan as a player. We certainly need to be up and about for the the next few years.
The trap worked. I deliberately didn't put up the 2nd year figures so I could lure someone in to say something like this ;)

Clarkson 2nd year of coaching - 9 wins and 13 losses
Hardwick 2nd year of coaching - 8 wins, 13 losses and a draw.

We should definitely build our whole strategy around Fyfe's lifespan though. Maybe we could try and trade in some quick fixes like we did before with Hogan, Bennell, McCarthy etc? "It's a bold strategy Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for him."

This board is so frustrating when there are posters like you that are clearly incapable of understanding the difference between the list and the team.

The coach picks the 22 each week. The list manager shapes the list and the drafting manager picks the players from the draft. They all have to work together.

Unfortunately, the coach is the only one in the media so ignorant people like you can blame the coach for a bad list.

I think JLO is a dud coach but I have acknowledged all along that the list is not good enough. There are too many holes for any coach to be successful.

This board is so frustrating when there are posters like you that are clearly incapable of understanding the difference between the list and the team.

The coach picks the 22 each week. The list manager shapes the list and the drafting manager picks the players from the draft. They all have to work together.

Unfortunately, the coach is the only one in the media so ignorant people like you can blame the coach for a bad list.

I think JLO is a dud coach but I have acknowledged all along that the list is not good enough. There are too many holes for any coach to be successful.
I think its the first time I have agreed with you a bit!!
Yes we need to really trim the fat on the list but the problem is doing that takes time especially when is has been done poorly in the past.

So a Dud coach and a Dud list. Its amazing we can win any games at all.

The trap worked. I deliberately didn't put up the 2nd year figures so I could lure someone in to say something like this ;)

Clarkson 2nd year of coaching - 9 wins and 13 losses
Hardwick 2nd year of coaching - 8 wins, 13 losses and a draw.

We should definitely build our whole strategy around Fyfe's lifespan though. Maybe we could try and trade in some quick fixes like we did before with Hogan, Bennell, McCarthy etc? "It's a bold strategy Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for him."
Gav might have said it but he's just repeating what the club told him.

How about giving us a failed coaches second-year stats rather than your survivor bias garbage? lots more second-year failures than the second-year results of an eventual premiership coach.

Of course, you are right, completely. All supporters should be happy with where we are at and the club has never made a mistake.

I see that Patty "pseudo tough-guy" Cripps has a public Instagram account. "A bold move Cotton!"
If anyone was to have a throw-away Insta account, that had no link to themselves as a person, they could politely ask him why he chose to behave so inappropriately towards a one Andrew Brayshaw.

The point is, if Longmuir doesn't work out he will be replaced by someone else, not Lyon. Lyon was OK briefly under particular circumstances that suited his one particular style. Unfortunately, when you change the style you have to recruit that way, so it is now going to take a little time to turn the list over a bit to suit the new style and to unindoctrinate the old and embed the new. The fact that the club made the move early has meant we could start a year earlier and at least gives the new coaching staff a little time to put their imprint on the team. Short of a disaster I think they will be given a bit more time than some on here would like. It is a big transition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back