Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Really missing Vlaustin as our main intercept marking defender. Need Houli back asap. Can't underestimate his steadying influence. I think we need to bring Balta up to CHB to help cover for our midfielders if we're getting killed out of the middle. Astbury, Grimes and Broad play deep back so Balta becomes our go to intercept man until Vlaustin is back again. Frees up Shortly and Bakes as our outside runners off the HB flanks. But it would really help if our midfield could break just break even or better still get on top to ease the pressure off our defence. The Swans midfield killed us on the weekend.

Yeah, was the midfield dominance that let them execute those quality inside 50 entries and hit up targets.

We absolutely need to take that away from them.

Rocco sifreddi

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Rampe was kind enough to offer a few insights into Sydney's strategy to break down our defense. The following is from the Age (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...y-flyin-ryan-soars-again-20210404-p57gdm.html)

I'd offer the observation that our midfield didn't bring the usual pressure and this allowed the Swans to execute this plan a little too easily.

I suppose we at least know what we're up against.

Any thoughts on how to combat this other than getting our midfield pressure back up so delivery to the oppo forwards doesn't work quite so easily?
Your backline can't stop a onslaught when your ruckman is getting destroyed and your mids can't get their hands on it
Easy strategy when there is no midfield pressure you can hit targets lace out, our backline works when our mids swarm and create pressure kicks
To their forwards, no defence in the comp will hold with
No defensive pressure in the midfield.

jc12

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Rampe was kind enough to offer a few insights into Sydney's strategy to break down our defense. The following is from the Age (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...y-flyin-ryan-soars-again-20210404-p57gdm.html)

I'd offer the observation that our midfield didn't bring the usual pressure and this allowed the Swans to execute this plan a little too easily.

Any thoughts on how to combat this other than getting our midfield pressure back up so delivery to the oppo forwards doesn't work quite so easily?
I believe other teams have done this before, usually it is just down to our pressure and effort. It wasn't there this week. Due to them being so good and us being a bit off.
Obviously Geelong would of tried to do this to us by keeping the ball off the ground

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

Our mids simply y couldn’t get their hands on the pill Bolton 7p shedda Martin graham quiet, Prestia off with some changes I expect a strong response

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Really missing Vlaustin as our main intercept marking defender. Need Houli back asap. Can't underestimate his steadying influence. I think we need to bring Balta up to CHB to help cover for our midfielders if we're getting killed out of the middle. Astbury, Grimes and Broad play deep back so Balta becomes our go to intercept man until Vlaustin is back again. Frees up Shorty and Bakes as our outside runners off the HB flanks. But it would really help if our midfield could just break even or better still get on top to ease the pressure off our defence. The Swans midfield killed us on the weekend.
I reckon shedda goes back to be that interceptor , has done it quite effectively before

STRUGGLETOWN EST1885

The reward is in the grind
Jun 28, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Your backline can't stop a onslaught when your ruckman is getting destroyed and your mids can't get their hands on it
Easy strategy when there is no midfield pressure you can hit targets lace out, our backline works when our mids swarm and create pressure kicks
To their forwards, no defence in the comp will hold with
No defensive pressure in the midfield.
[/QUOTE)
Spot on. Worse still, it was the Swans kids waltzing out the middle with next to no pressure hiitting lead up targets at will, especially in the 2nd qtr. Dimmas instructions this week will be simple. Our midfield need to bring it !! Hoping Cotch is right to go, Ross should go ok and maybe Bolton plays the whole go as a mid this week.

STRUGGLETOWN EST1885

The reward is in the grind
Jun 28, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon shedda goes back to be that interceptor , has done it quite effectively before
Port can be a bit one dimensional in the midfield so will be fascinating how we set-up in the centre and on the wings. I think we have to play Chol this week. Nank needs some help. Bolton for me is the key this week. He was great in the PF and GF last year and we need him to produce that form again.

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
I believe other teams have done this before, usually it is just down to our pressure and effort. It wasn't there this week. Due to them being so good and us being a bit off.
Obviously Geelong would of tried to do this to us by keeping the ball off the ground

calculated loss by Dimmer to see how we can be picked apart, he does it in the early rounds every year

we will barely loose from here on out

jc12

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
calculated loss by Dimmer to see how we can be picked apart, he does it in the early rounds every year

we will barely loose from here on out
Yeah I remember in the doco he said what we always say here , we don't lose to the same team twice a year , I believe they will defs go to school on the syd game and work something out. Just need vlastuin back badly and houli, I'm hoping we can hold on without vlastuin and go 2-2 or 3-1 at least

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
Yeah I remember in the doco he said what we always say here , we don't lose to the same team twice a year , I believe they will defs go to school on the syd game and work something out. Just need vlastuin back badly and houli, I'm hoping we can hold on without vlastuin and go 2-2 or 3-1 at least

all the other teams will now spend the season trying to copy what Swan did against us, but we have a different gameplan ready to go and will continue ream each and every one of em

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal

I thought their use of Hickey was the biggest difference between what we are used to seeing from other teams. Instead of having him compete for the high ball inside the 50 they had him for short option out wide which is where he cashed in with two goals and had 5 uncontested marks. Our guys were set up to defend the high ball perfectly but when they used the short option and it exposed us. The new 'rule' helped them in this regard as did the umpires not understanding how far 15 metres is but going forward this is going to be something we need to be more alert too. There was also times when it worked for us when the pressure of the field was to a high standard and Nank was able to get across and intercept.

Also we were uncharacteristically sloppy with our ball movement 50-80 metres out from goal and wasted many chances when entering the forward 50. On another day we convert those opportunities or lock the ball inside our half of the ground and the rest of the game plays out much different. Instead we turned it over and they were able to hurt us on the rebound. Partly because of how good they were and also a bit of luck with the ball landing in their lap more often than it did us.

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Caroline Wilson on Footy Classified.
Never a positive word to say about the game.
Criticising Chris Scott for being emotional during the game.
Most of the tactical planning is prepared before the match.
Did she not see Clarko being emotional in the coaches' box today?
Has she not seen EPL coaches on the sidelines?
Mamma mia.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Sydney moved the ball from their back half to their forward line way too easy.
So we have to first and foremost close down space, and of course, increase the pressure when the opportunity presents which didn't happen all too often on Sat as the swans easily pinpointed passes which hardly created any loose balls.

Now, we know with the new rules that it favours the kicker as the man on the mark can't move. The swans had way too much free space to play with, we need to bring players up to close the short space but allow enough distance to tease them into trying to pinpoint passes that could result in turnovers or they will attempt to go over the congested zone. The margin of error increases with their easy exits narrowed or closed off. Once a few turnovers occur the pressure mounts and with inferred pressure too, they will start second-guessing themselves.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
The Geelong v Hawthorn match was an important game.
A reversion to traditional lower scoring, the crowding of defence.
Zone defence against the new-look pacy Swans is the key.
Martyn has an aggressive style, would like to see him go after the Port key mids.
Play Hugo as a high half back, almost defensive side mid.
Had a look at a couple of the Port games.
Houston is very important as the feeder into the forward line.
Would only make two changes, if KMc and Prestia are both injured.
In : Will Martyn, Hugo.
Out: KMc, Prestia (inj).
If only one is injured, omit Egg.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Was Houli-IN/Egg-OUT so obvious you didn't bother including it?

Poor form mate, I saw Egg was not in the 'OUTS', looked through the team 4 times...looked in the back pocket, looked on the HBF, looked on the bench, looked in the ruck, considered the possibility you'd nicknamed him 'Ralph'...still can't find him. ;)
Egg out - why didn't I think of that.

Reckon Houli, who has played 3/4 of a practice match since the GF might need another week. Also turning 33 next month, not many players his age come back from injury and perform like he did 2 years ago. He will be a handy addition when up and running, but as his form showed early last year coming back from injury it takes him a while to find that form. Last seasons 14 games were at 18.6 disposals per game, the least since his debut year in 2007, way down on his injury free 2019 27.8 disposals per game.

Last edited:

One positive for us is that the Swans have a very dangerous forward line and are basically the only team in the comp right now to execute that game plan
No other team has 6 forwards as dangerous as they do

Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Sydney moved the ball from their back half to their forward line way too easy.
So we have to first and foremost close down space, and of course, increase the pressure when the opportunity presents which didn't happen all too often on Sat as the swans easily pinpointed passes which hardly created any loose balls.

Now, we know with the new rules that it favours the kicker as the man on the mark can't move. The swans had way too much free space to play with, we need to bring players up to close the short space but allow enough distance to tease them into trying to pinpoint passes that could result in turnovers or they will attempt to go over the congested zone. The margin of error increases with their easy exits narrowed or closed off. Once a few turnovers occur the pressure mounts and with inferred pressure too, they will start second-guessing themselves.
My thoughts are that if the administration of the game want to turn our once fierce contested game into bruise free footy that is their choice. However to give the defending team some chance of turning the ball over there needs to be a crackdown on the the dinky kicks that travel well under the prescribed 15 metres
If this is to difficult to adjudicate I would have no problem with the distance being increased to 20m

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Martyn has an aggressive style, would like to see him go after the Port key mids.
There's no way Ross doesn't play.

Egg has to be dropped.

Aug 25, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL

Commentators were saying our zone defence was our problem against Sydney.

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
an off game can become an off month
so will be keen to see this weeks performance

in the Crows GC game I thought GC started a bit like the Swans
fast ball movement , taking first options and not stopping to think about "best" option
but they couldn't maintain it
I felt some of it was due to the Crows pressure , but there were plenty of truly unforced errors from the Gold Coast
The Swans got their tails up and maintained fast ball movement and expansive play all game

How to close down games and bring pressure under the current rules is a challenge

While not departing from our structure , going man on man for a stint , could stop an oppositions run and gun approach

We have had sides turning the tap on and off with tempo footy when in attack for decades

We may have to do similar with our defence to keep sides guessing

sportshow

All Australian
Jul 6, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Out : Prestia (inj), KMac (Inj), Cotchin (why risk him this time of year for an away game), Egg (we all unfortunately saw)

Rioli bloody lucky.

In : Ross (just has to), Ralphsmith (love to), Chol (CCJ spewing, id look at Samson instead of as well), Houli (he's back)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back