Preview Geelong v Melbourne Sun Apr 11 @ MCG 3:20 pm - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that our end game here is Martin I don’t think they will look at Petracca and chicken out.

Is that what Scott has said or just a theory? I'm concerned about the game as a whole, Geelong are never easy to beat and we are notoriously flakey but if O'Connor went to Petracca and got on top of him in the middle I'd say he'd just take him forward.

That’s not my opinion.

He’s 6’3, 90kgs and IMO noticeably stronger this year. He was already a very good lock down defender.

Petracca is one of the competitions best players so he’s going to have an edge wherever he plays. But taking him away from the play to exploit O’Connor as a defender...I’m good with that.

Yeah that is a reasonable take, it'll be interesting to see who he goes to regardless. Looking forward to this game even if I've tipped you guys.

Is that what Scott has said or just a theory? I'm concerned about the game as a whole, Geelong are never easy to beat and we are notoriously flakey but if O'Connor went to Petracca and got on top of him in the middle I'd say he'd just take him forward.

Yeah that is a reasonable take, it'll be interesting to see who he goes to regardless. Looking forward to this game even if I've tipped you guys.
Theory but it’s hardly a hidden secret.

O’Connor has spent the start of his career as a defender. Its not going to daunt him following his tag there. It’s part of the reason why he’s being groomed for these roles on mid-forwards.

Here’s what Scott said about Cameron last week: "In a normal scenario he could play on Monday so that leads me to believe that he will pay the following Sunday. I think you will see him moving pretty well today."

Hopefully that’s true and he’s good to go for Sunday. We need him and the sooner he and Hawk can start to gel, the better.

IN: Cameron, Menegola, Close
OUT: Higgins, Evans, Dahlhaus

Team will start to look better from round 5 when Danger and Rohan return and JC is in.

When can you ever believe Scott - especially when it comes to player availability

If he was a real estate agent and a house was next to a public drain - he would tell you its got Water views

Havent listened to one of his press conferences for 3 years - Brad was exactly the same - just 90% spin and nonsense - talk talk talk talk - just for the sake of talking .

When can you ever believe Scott - especially when it comes to player availability

If he was a real estate agent and a house was next to a public drain - he would tell you its got Water views

Havent listened to one of his press conferences for 3 years - Brad was exactly the same - just 90% spin and nonsense - talk talk talk talk - just for the sake of talking .

Scott keeps his cards close to his chest about a few things but he's always been pretty good with injuries and player availabilities IMO. When he makes a definitive statement like that quote about Cameron, they are accurate 99.9% of the time IMO. So unless there's been a minor setback between last week when that statement was made, and now, I'll expect him to play.

I think bringing in Jenkins is setting a trap for ourselves. Jenkins will drag one of May or Lever away from Hawkins but with our ball movement the other will work behind Hawk and Gawn will drift in front. Net result is we have no effective tall forwards.

If we bring in a small like close we could shape our entries to go to ground intentionally and take away one of their biggest strengths. If we brought in a marking target they won't show any respect to like Jarvis we might be able to catch them by surprise for a quarter.

Alternatively we could play Henry forward as the second target, one they likely won't pay a lot of attention to. But we leave a hole in the backline.

I would just go small again.

We beat the Dees last year with a similar style of play that we witnessed against the Hawks. Not much will shift in terms of game plan this week. Can we make the excuses of a shorter pre-season BEFORE the game rather than AFTER the game this week. Personally 3 weeks in we should be cherry ripe so i'm not buying into that discussion !
Well the grand final was a month later so we can't really say anyone should be cherry ripe until round 5. If you want to get us the same preseason that a non finalist side would have got in previous years that won't be until round 8

Lets just hope it isn't anywhere nearly as bad as this game. I'd expect MOC to run with Oliver, Petracca can take him forward whereas Oliver is a bit more one-dimensional.
MOC is a career defender. Petracca drags him forward he's dragging himself into MOCs home deck

Well the grand final was a month later so we can't really say anyone should be cherry ripe until round 5. If you want to get us the same preseason that a non finalist side would have got in previous years that won't be until round 8
tigers beat carlton in round 1. How does that happen?

MOC is a career defender. Petracca drags him forward he's dragging himself into MOCs home deck
great thing about MOC's game was not only did he take care of Mitchell, he went back and helped the defense too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lever and May will have a picnic unless we have another tall forward - Give Jarvis another crack if Cameron doesn't make it. Close in for Dalhouse.
O'Connor to stop Oliver dishing it out. Holmes showed he's not just an outside runner and warrants another game for sure.

Further, Hawkins should lead straight up the ground more often - he always seeming to be attempting difficult shots.

Constable is an enigma; at this stage he gets most of his possies when he first comes on and then fades.

Ins: Menongola, Cameron
out: Higgins, Evans, Constable (sub)
wouldn't mind an extra midfielder against this lot as they are strong in the middle. How's Narkle doing? I think Dahlhaus needs a stint in the middle to get him some touches, maybe interchanging with Narkle up front?

Lever and May will have a picnic unless we have another tall forward - Give Jarvis another crack if Cameron doesn't make it. Close in for Dalhouse.
O'Connor to stop Oliver dishing it out. Holmes showed he's not just an outside runner and warrants another game for sure.

Further, Hawkins should lead straight up the ground more often - he always seeming to be attempting difficult shots.

Constable is an enigma; at this stage he gets most of his possies when he first comes on and then fades.
spot on! May and co are quite organized , so can't give them time to set up behind the ball. If they clutter up the corridor then we'll continue to go wide to Tommy. Having said that we are too Tommy conscious, defenders are picking it off now and intercepting and double and triple teaming the big fella. Let's lower the eyes and hope Cameron comes in to provide another target up top!

After hearing Cameron on Monday I can't see him playing.
Doesn't know if he will come back through the VFL. Didn't even know at that stage if he was training today with the guys that didn't play on the weekend.

great thing about MOC's game was not only did he take care of Mitchell, he went back and helped the defense too!

O'Connor is also showing that he can win his own ball

Against Brisbane he finished with 15 disposals, 5 clearances and 7 tackles, versus Neale's 16 disposals, 4 clearances & 2 tackles
Yesterday it was 26 disposals, 8 clearances & 8 tackles (game high), versus Mitchell with 24 disposals, 4 clearances & 3 tackles

So he's playing a tagging role, not afraid to get back in defence or do the hard yards with the defensive side of things such as tackles, but also winning first use of the ball with 13 clearances the past 2 weeks

Loving his move to the midfield group

Against Brisbane he finished with 15 disposals, 5 clearances and 7 tackles, versus Neale's 16 disposals, 4 clearances & 2 tackles
Yesterday it was 26 disposals, 8 clearances & 8 tackles (game high), versus Mitchell with 24 disposals, 4 clearances & 3 tackles

So he's playing a tagging role, not afraid to get back in defence or do the hard yards with the defensive side of things such as tackles, but also winning first use of the ball with 13 clearances the past 2 weeks

Very ling like...just needs to start slotting a few goals

Yep, his best game for the club yesterday I reckon.

Is Jezza playing? if so you guys win, May is a great match-up for Hawkins but Tomlinson is terrible for Cameron. Should be a close game either way, hopefully you guys actually try to score and don't clog it up again like last year, wasn't pretty viewing.

Is Jezza playing? if so you guys win, May is a great match-up for Hawkins but Tomlinson is terrible for Cameron. Should be a close game either way, hopefully you guys actually try to score and don't clog it up again like last year, wasn't pretty viewing.
Even with him in we are in terrible shape fitness-wise. He's also unlikely to be in. Not sure our standard 20 minutes of good footy and 3 quarters of protecting a 3 goal lead is going to get us there this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back