Sydney Stack Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe you need to listen to what people like Justin Leppitsch on what Daniel Rioli brings to the team and what his "Role' in the team is
Or
Maybe listen to what Shane Edwards said on sen yesterday (its on the podcast)on how our game plan was developed nd the coaching staff accredit the game style to Daniel Rioli and his ability to run chase tackle and harras and close up space.

Please have a listen maybe you wont be watching just what you see on television where the only camera angles are where the ball is.
I'm still going to bag him for fumbling. :p

Jun 16, 2020
Munted
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe you need to listen to what people like Justin Leppitsch on what Daniel Rioli brings to the team and what his "Role' in the team is
Or
Maybe listen to what Shane Edwards said on sen yesterday (its on the podcast)on how our game plan was developed nd the coaching staff accredit the game style to Daniel Rioli and his ability to run chase tackle and harras and close up space.

Please have a listen maybe you wont be watching just what you see on television where the only camera angles are where the ball is.
i havent seen him run for years

amc11

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
from the article in the HS about Nick Vlastuin re-signing for five years.

Sydney Stack returned to Punt Road early in the week after his $6000 COVID fine in Perth but by his own admission is only 25 per cent fit to play AFL.
He is eligible to play AFL after Round 5 but clearly will need longer to reach match fitness.
“He has just been jogging and running laps and doing boxing with the boxing coach and doing extra training. It’s going to be a pretty tough month or two training-wise. We got flogged in January and February and he is coming now but he’s kept his head down, and I am looking forward to talking to him and getting to know him again,” Vlastuin said.
“He has been through a fair bit and not many 20-year-olds would be in prison over New Years like that, so it’s a hell of a story. Just with his upbringing, I can’t understand the things he has had to go through so it will be good to put my arms around him.”

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
This will probably be the hardest 2 months of training he has ever had to do to get back to the teams level

Does he have it in him to put in that work ? Who knows but he will find out if he has the attitude to make it at AFL level

But if he cant i personally doubt another team would take the risk on him after this for a long time.

Last Chance Saloon

RJK Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
lets hope he can turn it around. Not only his career is at the crossroads, but his whole life IMO.

He can play, but his immature behaviour has no place in any type of professional organisation. I hope he can do it for himself, his current situation has him about as rock bottom as you could ever imagine being as an AFL player. Reputation is mud, completely out of physical shape - has lost endless amounts of peoples trust - he has a massive mountain to climb

lets hope he can turn it around. Not only his career is at the crossroads, but his whole life IMO.

He can play, but his immature behaviour has no place in any type of professional organisation. I hope he can do it for himself, his current situation has him about as rock bottom as you could ever imagine being as an AFL player. Reputation is mud, completely out of physical shape - has lost endless amounts of peoples trust - he has a massive mountain to climb

Plenty of players have come back from much worse. The way you paint this picture you'd think he was running drugs or something worse.

From what I've heard he's put his head down and is focusing on training. He's not his usual extraverted self around the club like many were used to and he's just intent on earning the respect back from club.

Just an observation...seems it was more than once he had to come back from being dropped or a club sanction in juniors or rep stuff over in WA and he was able to when it was really clear that if he stepped over the line during that period it was all over and he managed to hold it together to get to Par and allowed back with his teammates.

It’s when there’s no-one on him and at him that he come off the rails with distractions...I dont know what the answer is but he doesnt seem to have ever been successful in a regimented enviroment without really closed in parameters.

Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Man U, Chicago Bulls, Anaheim Ducks
This will probably be the hardest 2 months of training he has ever had to do to get back to the teams level

Does he have it in him to put in that work ? Who knows but he will find out if he has the attitude to make it at AFL level

But if he cant i personally doubt another team would take the risk on him after this for a long time.

Last Chance Saloon

Our club & other clubs would be stupid not to have him on the list

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Last Chance Saloon

Teams were trying to get E Taylor a few weeks after bashing his lady apparently.

You don't think north would take a crack at stack but they picked up menadue...

Top3 young rising star players are have value. I wish he were available instead of playing des...

RJK Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Plenty of players have come back from much worse. The way you paint this picture you'd think he was running drugs or something worse.

From what I've heard he's put his head down and is focusing on training. He's not his usual extraverted self around the club like many were used to and he's just intent on earning the respect back from club.

Don't think i made it out to be any worse than it really is. Lets be very honest about Sydney.

He was not drafted as a quality talent as he had huge question marks over his lack of maturity and ability to adapt to professional life.

In his first season with us, he played extremely well, but his exuberance, which excited fans - also bordered on being pretty immature. Once he got injured he struggled - which was fine as he was injured and most likely not fully fit, but the fact is he failed to perform in any VFL game in the back-end of the season.

Last season, even prior to the COVID issues - his performance was very ordinary. His fitness was below par, plenty of chat forums insinuated that the he was very childish and not really endearing himself to his teammates in hub life. His preparation was below par. He then broke a govt sanctioned hub to go to the strippers. got in a fight. Got arrested. Got suspended for 10 weeks. He then got himself arrested again 3 months later for doing the exact same thing in Perth & spent Xmas in jail. Last thing this kid needs is people acting like he has chances left - because he doesn't. He needs to get his s**t together. I'd personally like to see him just spend the year in the VFL, seems like the kind of person that if all is good and well & life is exciting and he is the centre of attention - he is on cloud 9 and excels - but once things get a lil tough and boring, he struggles. Sounds pretty close to someone with ADHD tbh. I want to see him put his best foot forward for a year irrelevant of the reward and attention - do all the team things & do it without expecting to be rewarded for it immediately.

From "what you have heard" - where did you hear? From what has been reported he has only just returned to training and was very unfit. Admitted himself he is miles off match fitness and from what was being said - he hadn't really came close to maintaining his fitness to an AFL standard when left to his own devices.

Last year he was handed games when quite frankly i dont think he deserved them. I dont think that helped his cause. Time to let others pass him and see if he can do what it takes to catch up. For Sydney its not a talent issue, its a character one

RJK Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Teams were trying to get E Taylor a few weeks after bashing his lady apparently.

Top3 young rising star players are have value. I wish he were available instead of playing des...

Could anyone care less if Stack went to North or elsewhere? Do you actually think he will excel there or anywhere else?

If the kid can't make it work at Richmond, then i doubt he can make it work in any worthwhile way anywhere

Harley Bennell go a shitload of chances too. Played till he was 28 - with the final 7 years of his career just being year after year of "chances". The end result was a career ruined by injury and littered with immature & unprofessional behaviour. No team was rewarded for giving him another "chance"

The stories of troubled souls who come back & play their best footy after situations like Sydney are very very low. People still use Martin Pyke as the main example ffs. Sydney needs to get it right now - the last thing he needs is people implying ti him other "chances" exist - be it at Richmond, or anywhere. Blokes like him tend to use every chance they have before they "get it" or never "get it"

Don't think i made it out to be any worse than it really is. Lets be very honest about Sydney.

He was not drafted as a quality talent as he had huge question marks over his lack of maturity and ability to adapt to professional life.

In his first season with us, he played extremely well, but his exuberance, which excited fans - also bordered on being pretty immature. Once he got injured he struggled - which was fine as he was injured and most likely not fully fit, but the fact is he failed to perform in any VFL game in the back-end of the season.

Last season, even prior to the COVID issues - his performance was very ordinary. His fitness was below par, plenty of chat forums insinuated that the he was very childish and not really endearing himself to his teammates in hub life. His preparation was below par. He then broke a govt sanctioned hub to go to the strippers. got in a fight. Got arrested. Got suspended for 10 weeks. He then got himself arrested again 3 months later for doing the exact same thing in Perth & spent Xmas in jail. Last thing this kid needs is people acting like he has chances left - because he doesn't. He needs to get his sh*t together. I'd personally like to see him just spend the year in the VFL, seems like the kind of person that if all is good and well & life is exciting and he is the centre of attention - he is on cloud 9 and excels - but once things get a lil tough and boring, he struggles. Sounds pretty close to someone with ADHD tbh. I want to see him put his best foot forward for a year irrelevant of the reward and attention - do all the team things & do it without expecting to be rewarded for it immediately.

From "what you have heard" - where did you hear? From what has been reported he has only just returned to training and was very unfit. Admitted himself he is miles off match fitness and from what was being said - he hadn't really came close to maintaining his fitness to an AFL standard when left to his own devices.

Last year he was handed games when quite frankly i dont think he deserved them. I dont think that helped his cause. Time to let others pass him and see if he can do what it takes to catch up. For Sydney its not a talent issue, its a character one

I don't need a history lesson mate I think we're all aware of what we're dealing with.

A connection I made at a recent Club 80 function told me how stack was doing. I've got no reason not to trust them and not fussed if you don't believe me or not.

Sounds like you've made up your mind up about the kid anyway. Even dished out a diagnosis. Bravo.

RJK Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't need a history lesson mate I think we're all aware of what we're dealing with.

A connection I made at a recent Club 80 function told me how stack was doing. I've got no reason not to trust them and not fussed if you don't believe me or not.

Sounds like you've made up your mind up about the kid anyway. Even dished out a diagnosis. Bravo.

Here we go again.....

Mate, the kid ****ed up himself. I had nothing to do with it - his history is there for all to see - you are completely right. He is getting his second or third chance right now. I reckon that the more chances you are given that you burn, the road to redemption needs to be that much harder to prove you have changed.

Eggs has had * all chances and you all want to write him off after 1 performance. Eggs has been nothing but a pro for his tenure with the club. I judge people on their character and actions ... its not my fault Stack has failed that. I was a fan, until he totally acted like a dick and cost the club & his teammates dearly

As i have said - happy for him to be at the club and getting another go - but people that think we should ******* gift him a speedy redemption have rocks in their heads. It takes more than a couple of months of "doing well" to come back from the massive amount of mistakes he made.

$100k down the pisser& people lost their jobs due to the hard cap ramifications. His accountability for that needs to be immense. No easy roads from here for Syd - he either has to want it that bad, or not have it

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

North dont have the support staff to deal with stack and they know that
menadue is a 'good boy' that doesnt play up
but not the stack level talent

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Just an observation...seems it was more than once he had to come back from being dropped or a club sanction in juniors or rep stuff over in WA and he was able to when it was really clear that if he stepped over the line during that period it was all over and he managed to hold it together to get to Par and allowed back with his teammates.

It’s when there’s no-one on him and at him that he come off the rails with distractions...I dont know what the answer is but he doesnt seem to have ever been successful in a regimented enviroment without really closed in parameters.
The answer is he doesn’t return to wa for some time

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Hopefully he can settle, when his confidence is up out on the ground he’s one outta the box
I sincerely hope so , Stacky is blessed with talent to burn that under the new rules will prosper , the rest is up to him, he needs a more professional approach than same time last year

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

Last season, even prior to the COVID issues - his performance was very ordinary. His fitness was below par, plenty of chat forums insinuated that the he was very childish and not really endearing himself to his teammates in hub life. His preparation was below par. He then broke a govt sanctioned hub to go to the strippers. got in a fight. Got arrested. Got suspended for 10 weeks. He then got himself arrested again 3 months later for doing the exact same thing in Perth & spent Xmas in jail. Last thing this kid needs is people acting like he has chances left - because he doesn't. He needs to get his sh*t together. I'd personally like to see him just spend the year in the VFL, seems like the kind of person that if all is good and well & life is exciting and he is the centre of attention - he is on cloud 9 and excels - but once things get a lil tough and boring, he struggles. Sounds pretty close to someone with ADHD tbh. I want to see him put his best foot forward for a year irrelevant of the reward and attention - do all the team things & do it without expecting to be rewarded for it immediately.

I think you are being a bit loose with some of your interpretations.

You think his exuberance was immature. Bashar Houli said he was surprised by his maturity and interest in his life and religion coming from a 18 year old. Nobody at the club had ever sat down and talked to him like that before. Yes his social media stuff and exuberant personality may not be to your liking, but he was a breathe of fresh air in that first year. And his footy was at a mature level beyond just about any 18 year old I can remember.

Hub life as an example of immaturity. Go figure a kid who has probably never sat still in his life, a kid with no real home life experience, who had to bring himself up since he was a kid struggles to adapt to being locked up except to play football. Go figure. How did you go sleeping on couches as a teenager.

Granted his venture into the Gold Coast nightlife was not his greatest moment.

You don't know about his fitness any more than we do. Of course he is underprepared, anyone who hasn't done a full AFL preseason is underprepared much less one who spent three weeks locked up. Have you any experience with that, if so how did it affect your mental health and motivation. You and I have no idea.

He played 3 games of VFL, was promoted and played 17 AFL games. He injured his ankle, syndesmosis, had surgery, and missed the next 5 weeks.
From memory he was played in the middle that day and was BOG at half time before injuring his ankle. He returned for the VFL grand final where he re-injured his ankle. How do you figure he failed to perform in the VFL at the back half of the season. He only played a couple of games.

Fine to have a negative opinion of a player, we all have them, but a bit of balance and research wouldn't go astray.

RJK Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I think you are being a bit loose with some of your interpretations.

You think his exuberance was immature. Bashar Houli said he was surprised by his maturity and interest in his life and religion coming from a 18 year old. Nobody at the club had ever sat down and talked to him like that before. Yes his social media stuff and exuberant personality may not be to your liking, but he was a breathe of fresh air in that first year. And his footy was at a mature level beyond just about any 18 year old I can remember.

Hub life as an example of immaturity. Go figure a kid who has probably never sat still in his life, a kid with no real home life experience, who had to bring himself up since he was a kid struggles to adapt to being locked up except to play football. Go figure. How did you go sleeping on couches as a teenager.

Granted his venture into the Gold Coast nightlife was not his greatest moment.

You don't know about his fitness any more than we do. Of course he is underprepared, anyone who hasn't done a full AFL preseason is underprepared much less one who spent three weeks locked up. Have you any experience with that, if so how did it affect your mental health and motivation. You and I have no idea.

He played 3 games of VFL, was promoted and played 17 AFL games. He injured his ankle, syndesmosis, had surgery, and missed the next 5 weeks.
From memory he was played in the middle that day and was BOG at half time before injuring his ankle. He returned for the VFL grand final where he re-injured his ankle. How do you figure he failed to perform in the VFL at the back half of the season. He only played a couple of games.

Fine to have a negative opinion of a player, we all have them, but a bit of balance and research wouldn't go astray.

Fair enough in most of that. Don't get me wrong, i am all for him getting his chance this year to turn it around. I just think in a group of 42 guys if 1 is taking way more time than any other, he is likely a burden on your system and its probably unfair on his teammates.

The thing is with exuberance - its all fun and games when you are winning and playing well. The second you aren't - it becomes a weight on your back & a burden to your system.

Stacks 2019 season was brilliant - he nailed it. His exuberance resulted in seeing the best version of him. A great player, supporters of all clubs loved him. But was that type of thing sustainable? And how does he handle it when things don't all go his way? That is the key to "The Tiger Way" which has seen us crawl from the s**t ol days IMO. There was no way you can have a 10 year career if you need that level of attention to sustain your output.

Once Stack got injured in 2019, his form really dropped off. He was mediocre in the VFL finals. That was passable as there was a bit of a perception that he might have been rushed back to give him a chance

2020 though was very ordinary. Looked like he came back out of shape. Was handed more chances than any other player based on not a lot of form tbh. When he was dropped to the reserves, i personally didnt think he did much to show he was willing to work his way back. That "lack of interest" problem could have been passed off as a "hub" side-effect - but he escalated it bigtime when he pulled the stripper stunt, 2 weeks out from the finals. I thought what he and CCJ did what the most selfish thing I have seen in a long while by 2 fringe players while their teammates were approaching a massive finals push - the entire club was under attack for weeks prior to that (Cotchins, Grimes, Lynch, Vloss, Short ) - we had finally got on top of the negative media attacks & then these 2 pull out "kebab-gate". It was really, really selfish.

Even after he got out of jail, the guy should have been staying dead quiet and letting it pass by. Instead, he was bloody posting stupid s**t on IG like below, drawing more attention to himself.

This is all real petty stuff, but it makes me seriously question if he can handle being the 30th man in a team of 40. All he has needed to do since the kebab-gate is be invisible and let it blow over. Get off social media etc.

Your analysis of his 2019 is all correct - he had 3 good games in the reserves then played about 15 odd games straight. Beyond that, i have never really seen him react well to being dropped or losing his spot. His form in seniors and reserves in 2020 was ordinary. Once he got dropped in round 13, he literally disappeared. He had a very good run in the seniors, much more opportunity that the likes of RCD, Naish, Ross have been given, but the second it had to be re-earned, i am not convinced i saw him do that well. He needs to earn it harder than those blokes now - all those guys deserve to pass him on merit

For all the good attitude he has come back with. (literally been 1 week) - its hard to fathom he then broke the quarantine protocols again when get got home from Perth. To do that twice in 3 months is really, really selfish and stupid. He has to wear it. If he can turn it around i will be super impressed with him. I will support him along the way - but he also needs to realise that he has lost a hell of a lot of trust with the team and its supporters. I think the harder that trust is for him to earn back now, the more likely we see a sustained long term change in his behaviour as opposed to a short-term fix that yo-yos for the rest of his career. My call on his fitness comes from his own words too btw, which is a good thing as he is at least being realistic about his chances & i think supporters probably need to do the same thing, for his own good

"When asked if he thinks he will be able to return to AFL ranks after serving the remainder of his ban, Stack replied: "Not in my head, I don't think so."

"It (my body) is not AFL ready. I have a lot of work to do when I get back."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back