Updated Club Song

Pick one

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It sucks, but any version of our song will suck unless we completely tear it down and start again which they'll never do

Sometimes a club song is not that great and ours has been one of those but it's still our song and the version we had for the 2018 flag is fine. At least people sing it.

The version the players sing, chanting out the first verse then singing the chorus in the old style, is fine.

The Birds of Tokyo arrangement needs to be reserved for marketing. It’s just not appropriate for a crowd singalong and it doesn’t work. It’s hugely deflating.

It sucks, but any version of our song will suck unless we completely tear it down and start again which they'll never do

The 2018 version where they added the horns was the AFL’s best non-GWS song. Fight me.

I liked the original from the 80s. The instrumentation needs updating, but it tells the story of the club's inception.

If that doesn't fly, then rewrite the whole thing. I heard a guy on talkback last year say how the song is the club introducing itself to the league ("we're the Eagles etc"), we're well established now, so it's consistent to have a new song.

I also find the chant that the players do before the original song very sh*t.
Cant agree there, nothing like shouting that after a bloody good win I'd say.

I was at the Melb v Freo AFLW game on the weekend and as soon as the siren went the song started, and literally the next second all around me people singing and clapping in time - old women, dads and their toddlers, teenage girls...

That was in a tiny crowd of like 800 people or something. People just started singing at the top of their lungs with no provocation.

You simply can’t do that with our song. It’s impossible. It takes a couple of minutes for there to be anything resembling a singalong section.

I have no doubt that a number of people start following a team because of how catchy their song is. That will literally never happen for the eagles.

Well the first thing we need to decide is what we want:

1) the current song
2) the original "%^*( the Vics" song
3) the one that's basically just the chorus (not sure what to call it, it's the one I believe we've used for the majority of our existence)
4) something new (and everything that comes with that process)

Return the Wings was easier in this sense cos we all knew what we wanted and it was a united campaign.

Personally I'm down for option 3 because it's the song I grew up belting out after a win but we need to be of one mind here or nothing will happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the first thing we need to decide is what we want:

1) the current song
2) the original "%^*( the Vics" song
3) the one that's basically just the chorus (not sure what to call it, it's the one I believe we've used for the majority of our existence)
4) something new (and everything that comes with that process)

Return the Wings was easier in this sense cos we all knew what we wanted and it was a united campaign.

Personally I'm down for option 3 because it's the song I grew up belting out after a win but we need to be of one mind here or nothing will happen.
The chorus-only version (3) isn’t perfect but it could have so easily been improved by just redoing the recording.

The main issue with the previous song isn’t the song itself but the cheesy af 1980s midi synths drum machines and lame vocals

Would have been so simple to redo that with good musicians and add in a sick horn section.

...and add in a sick horn section.

tenor.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

Three of this bloke up where Freo plonks their guitar dudes.

Fully sick.

This x 1000.

Baffles me why the club doesnt want to go back to the "us vs them" mentality. That old song gave us such a good identity.

Was awesome in 1987, probably doesn't fit well with the club now that we've had interstate premiership captains and coaches and the draft means we'll never field a team of 100% locals like the 1992 premiership team.

total rebuild. we don't need to reinvent the wheel either. just rip some old singable melody from the 1890's or the 1920's or whatever and plug in some eagles lyrics. what we have atm is a disgrace and an embarrassment to this great club. stick to playing eagle rock after games until it's sorted.

total rebuild. we don't need to reinvent the wheel either. just rip some old singable melody from the 1890's or the 1920's or whatever and plug in some eagles lyrics. what we have atm is a disgrace and an embarrassment to this great club. stick to playing eagle rock after games until it's sorted.
But we are not a ye old timey VFL side. We were born in the 80s and are a modern professional club. One of the first two iterations of the song is fine.

But we are not a ye old timey VFL side. We were born in the 80s and are a modern professional club. One of the first two iterations of the song is fine.
Not sure why it matters we're from the 80's. The crows are from the 90's but use a melody from the 1860's. I agree the first two versions of the song are far superior to what we have now but that isn't saying much. If we're going to change it at least use a formula that works.

Not sure why it matters we're from the 80's. The crows are from the 90's but use a melody from the 1860's. I agree the first two versions of the song are far superior to what we have now but that isn't saying much. If we're going to change it at least use a formula that works.
We're not from the 19th century, so why try to retrofit an old-timey song? Others will disagree, but I don't think that suits us.

Back