Preview Changes Dogs V Lions at Mars 10.4.21 - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Oscar, Neale is underdone, Jarred Berry, Rayner, McStay from the best 22. A few are tests but wouldnt be suprised if Brissie lean on the side of caution and just get home unscathed
Berry is likely to be back this week, along with Oscar. They are still a tough team to go up against and with many of the boys from the region, they will enjoy being back in Ballarat. Our best is good enough to beat them, but our worst will see us easily beaten.

Thought Marcus Adams played pretty well against Collingwood. Shame for him if he goes out for Gardiner.

This game will be similar in intensity to the West Coast game.

While I get your point doesnt it make his 9 touch performance even worse ?
That we won by so much, had so much of the ball, for him to manage such little impact on the game.

And before people say he had 3 shots on goal - Its exactly what Mitch Wallis had the week prior in a much closer game before being dropped.
So if we are at all consistent with our selection policy then McNeal should be made to work on his game at Footscray.

So when there is such clear and strong pushes from the lower leagues you make the change even after a 128 p win.
I agree with you. While I have seen signs from McNeil to indicate he will be better with time, I don't think he has done enough in the 3 games.

Having said that, it's not Bevo's style and I personally wouldn't make any change after such a win unless injury enforced.

Last edited:
I am still not getting how Tasmania is supposed to be North Melbourne’s deliverance and salvation? Relocating is not going to make the team play better. It isn't going to guarantee on field success. It would centainly cease to be North Melbourne as we know it and I suspect would haemorrhage its 32,000 Victorian based members. Thus Victorian football would be beleaguered and weakened by the forced rembranding and relocating of one of its oldest teams.

Imagine the boot being on the other foot and the media and arm chair experts crapping on every other week that the Western Bulldogs should up stumps and rebrand and relocate as the Western Victoria Bulldogs permanently based out of Ballarat. Jesus! You blokes wouldn't swallow that crap, so why do you think for a minute that it's fair to throw that at the feet of North Melbourne FC or its owners (the members)?

The same as how Sydney has been South Melbourne's deliverance and salvation.

I am not saying you should move and if I were a North support I wouldn't want it either. But if it is a choice between South Melbourne Sydney Swans, Fitzroy Brisbane Lions, University or no club at all, then it really isn't a choice.

I would prefer 11 home games at Marvel. However, if playing two games in Ballarat keeps the wolves from our door, which they have many times in the past, then so be it.

Last edited:
The same as how Sydney has been South Melbourne's deliverance and salvation.

I am not saying you should move and if I were a North support I wouldn't want it either. But if it is a choice between South Melbourne Sydney Swans, Fitzroy Brisbane Lions, University or no club at all, then it really isn't a choice.

I would prefer 11 home games at Marvel. However, if playing two games in Ballarat keeps the wolves from our door, which they have many times in the past, then so be it.
No. No. And no. A permanently relocated team is a dead team. They could try to relocate it but it would be dead. The Swans are not South Melbourne any more than Brisbane represents any tradition of Fitzroy. I would totally resent the use of our colours in a new AFL franchise interstate, the plaigerising and bastardisation of the club song, and relocation of club awards, memorabilia and trophies won as a Victorian team being claimed interstate.

They might as well change the colours and drop the "Kangaroos" branding altogether, because to keep them would defile the club's history and be seen rightly by former supporters as a cynical and transparent attempt to lure old supporters and money to their new manufactured franchise. I would hold nothing but bitterness and resentment to the club if they ever turned on their owners (us members) in that way. Don't forget that it's the members who own the club, not the AFL. The club executive and the AFL would lose our money and support forever if they attempted to shaft the members. I don't reward disloyalty or treachery and I don't know many people that do.

I would prefer the club to shut down and to have all of its memorabilia and trophies kept on display at the North Melbourne library or at the former NM town hall. The AFL could then raise a new team ... the "Tassie Titans" using former North Melbourne staff and players, but just don't use the colours, "Kangaroos" or the club song. And don't expect me or 32,000 former Victorian members to support any new interstate franchise.

Nobody will convince me that the AFL will be enriched by the loss of any Victorian team.

Last edited:
No. No. And no. A permanently relocated team is a dead team. They could try to relocate it but it would be dead. The Swans are not South Melbourne any more than Brisbane represents any tradition of Fitzroy. I would totally resent the use of our colours in a new AFL franchise interstate, the plaigerising and bastardisation of the club song, and relocation of club awards, memorabilia and trophies won as a Victorian team being claimed interstate.

They might as well change the colours and drop the "Kangaroos" branding altogether, because to keep them would defile the club's history and be seen rightly by former supporters as a cynical and transparent attempt to lure old supporters and money to their new manufactured franchise. I would hold nothing but bitterness and resentment to the club if they ever turned on their owners (us members) in that way. Don't forget that it's the members who own the club, not the AFL. The club executive and the AFL would lose our money and support forever if they attempted to shaft the members. I don't reward disloyalty or treachery and I don't know many people that do.

I would prefer the club to shut down and to have all of its memorabilia and trophies kept on display at the North Melbourne library or at the former NM town hall. The AFL could then raise a new team ... the "Tassie Titans" using former North Melbourne staff and players, but just don't use the colours, "Kangaroos" or the club song. And don't expect me or 32,000 former Victorian members to support any new interstate franchise.

Nobody will convince me that the AFL will be enriched by the loss of any Victorian team.

If it does happen though, can we count on you being a daughter of the west? :)

He gets injured not because he’s breathed on but because he’s fearless in his attack on the ball and man. Needs to learn how to protect his body.

We’ve got a medical sub now, so not a huge risk if he does get injured.

I assume we’ve kept him on the list because he is an AFL quality player, who is super versatile, tough and has a bunch of skills that compliment our list. Most importantly he’s on minimum chips.

List cloggers aren’t good enough to play at senior level and impact, that has never been Jong’s problem. Just needs to learn how to protect his body.

Jong does lack some smarts when it comes to protecting his body, in fact he plays almost without any finesse in that department. For example, I remember, he did a shoulder some seasons back when he contested the loose ball in our forward line and grabbed it first opportunity when his opponent was in perfect position to apply a brutal and legal tackle. Smarter players would have been fully aware of the danger and the futility of just grabbing the ball and would have foxed for a free or tapped the ball and waited for a clear chance to grab it or tapped it over the boundary line. He is courageous but it has almost cost him a career, he pays too high a price.

Last edited:

Watch out, they want to strip the assets, including the valuable club nickname "the Kangaroos." I would be more worried about the Beijing Kangaroos than Hobart, to be honest. The GWS experience is that the stupid AFL just wants to plant its arse in big population centres, regardless of whether anyone there is at all likely to become a paid up member and ardent follower prepared to stump up his or her hard earned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am still not getting how Tasmania is supposed to be North Melbourne’s deliverance and salvation? Relocating is not going to make the team play better. It isn't going to guarantee on field success. It would centainly cease to be North Melbourne as we know it and I suspect would haemorrhage its 32,000 Victorian based members. Thus Victorian football would be beleaguered and weakened by the forced rembranding and relocating of one of its oldest teams.

Imagine the boot being on the other foot and the media and arm chair experts crapping on every other week that the Western Bulldogs should up stumps and rebrand and relocate as the Western Victoria Bulldogs permanently based out of Ballarat. Jesus! You blokes wouldn't swallow that crap, so why do you think for a minute that it's fair to throw that at the feet of North Melbourne FC or its owners (the members)?
Couldn't agree more, I hated the thought of the doggies getting folded or relocated.
Tassie will not be the salvation, the kanga's are historically one of the lowest supported teams by Tasmanian's and they aren't traditional drafters of tassie footballers.
The Saints/Tigers and Hawks have been clubs that have been a pathway to the VFL/AFL for decades, and they are supported for that.

Moving the kanga's down there permanently would be a death kneel for them.

Tassie needs it's own team/identity and they will be supported by the state.

I'd feel more confident about this game if it was at Etihad. Brisbane haven't quite hit the heights of last year yet. Hopefully they can wait another week before they start hitting their straps.

I'd feel more confident about this game if it was at Etihad. Brisbane haven't quite hit the heights of last year yet. Hopefully they can wait another week before they start hitting their straps.

Didn’t the Lions beat the pies last week at Etihad I would rather play then at Sovereign Hill

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think Treloar moves more forward this game, go Hunter/Smith wings and Bont/Macrae/Libba/Dunkley as the main mids. Just a bit concerned about the amount of offensive mids Brisbane have and whether they'll look to exploit Treloar's matchup. He's not as bad defensively as Pies supporters say he was but he'd still be our least defensive midfielder out of the 5. Or do we back in Libba to win the clearance anyway and go with Treloar as the distributor?
I would back our midfield to win a fair portion, and let Treloar burn through and kick a couple on the burst

IN: Best 1-1 KPD out of Young, Cordy and Khamis (who plays tall)
OUT: Gardner

No other changes when you win by 128.
If Bevo has in his mind, Gardner is a better player than Cordy, well Cordy is going the way of Trenners.:thumbsdown:

I wouldn't mind seeing some more aggression moved in, Stef Martain providing some aggression and halving the ruck contest has completely changed our center structure for the positive. Let's see what Sweet can do in the backup ruck possie for some more mongrel.

Timmy's strength is not his aggression, but his height, mobility, and marking, I want to see Timmy moved back into Gardner's role.
He could be that KPD Jordy Roughead use to play for us, and what he is now playing at the Pie's.

I'm still keen on Khamis, but to replace Scott in the team, the dude just looks ready to take the next step.

Big Oscar, Neale is underdone, Jarred Berry, Rayner, McStay from the best 22. A few are tests but wouldnt be suprised if Brissie lean on the side of caution and just get home unscathed
Berry and Gardiner will be back this week, and Oscar is a chance. They are missing maybe 2 average best 22 players so they are almost at full strength. Yes they are away from home but they just had a ripping win against the odds.

I don’t understand why anyone would want to mess with our key big forward line structure of Naughton, English and Bruce.

We finally have it working (thanks to the midfield as well) for three rounds and already there are suggestions of Naughton or English moving back.

That seems insane to me.

Young in for Gardner.

Maybe Cavarra or West for McNeil. Maybe!

No other changes please! Continuity is what I’m after!

Edit - can we cease the North Tassie relocation talk in here? I really couldn’t give a stuff about it at the moment. There is a time and a place.

Think it’s time for Cavarra to come in.

English Bruce Naughton forward structure shouldn’t change.

And when finals come (and we will be there), it will very likely be English Naughton Bruce JUH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back