Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Status
Not open for further replies.
01CF8C2D-008E-4238-ACC8-58452E052616.png

low ToG.
Low metres gained.
Non existent midfielders metrics. Literal donuts all over the place.
Only 8 pressure acts.
Only 1 contested possession

Not good reading

That was concerning. Unfortunately becoming a pattern. He has the ability.
42% TOG. The next lowest midfielder was Guthrie with 77. Parfitt had 80 (I assume boosted from resting forward). He's a conundrum - that second quarter was massive but did nothing after that.

bombersboy

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Most damning piece of play for me was during the last quarter. Ball went into our forward line and he would not or could not take 2 steps to make a marking contest with a medium sized Hawk defender. Never want to see him in the Firsts again. He only has a tank for for a quarter of football. Unfortunately with injuries he will probably get another game this week.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I wish someone would ask Scott strait out about Charlie,he was asked about Cams 43 yesterday and gave an answer most wouldn't have expected basically saying yes he was great inside and it was good he got the ball,but left the felling he didn't think he did much with it,lots of dinky chipping it around stuff.

Which is probably true, I had him comfortably best on ground (and I think almost everyone else would agree), but it wasn't the most damaging 43 disposal game I've ever seen.

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
I wish someone would ask Scott strait out about Charlie,he was asked about Cams 43 yesterday and gave an answer most wouldn't have expected basically saying yes he was great inside and it was good he got the ball,but left the felling he didn't think he did much with it,lots of dinky chipping it around stuff.

The context of that answer was in respect to the question "was that Guthrie's best game ever?". It came off a bit critical but I think what Scott was try to say was that Guthrie is a gun, and played well, but no it wasn't his best game, he's had games where he's been more damaging with his ball use.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
I've been a CC supporter as inside accumulators are valuable - felt vindicated in the second quarter when he was on fire.
Very deflated in the second half - I really hope he picked up a knock or something that restricted him as it was underwhelming to say the least :(

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I've been a CC supporter as inside accumulators are valuable - felt vindicated in the second quarter when he was on fire.
Very deflated in the second half - I really hope he picked up a knock or something that restricted him as it was underwhelming to say the least :(
I thought he ran super hard in the 3rd. Was usually the first mid back.
He'd be in the backline then all of a sudden he'd be in the forward line.
Barely noticed him if at all in the last though.

One of the other big takeaways from yesterday is that he had no clearances - so 14 disposals across the match, including 9 in the second quarter and not one clearance in those, and he's been seen as an inside mid where his clearance work is meant to be a strength

In the past it's been said he's competing with the likes of Selwood, Dangerfield or even Guthrie for a midfield spot where he's at the centre bounce or in the thick of things and the extractor getting first use of the ball for the team. With O'Connor moving into a tagging role the past couple of weeks, it seems he's now competing with another player for those midfield opportunities, getting into the guts at the centre bounces and contests, and what may not be helpful for Constable is that while O'Connor seems to be primarily playing a tagging role the past couple of weeks, he's also showing he can get his hands on the ball first and finished with the 3rd most clearances on the ground with 8 for the match (O'Meara had 13, Guthrie 10 and O'Connors main opponent in Mitchell had 4)

Constable is become a rather frustrating player because there's clearly good aspects to his game and he seems to be able to have a strong impact in a short period of time when he comes onto the field, but he doesn't seem to be able to sustain that impact for whatever reason, and that "whatever" seems to be holding him back for the moment

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
One of the other big takeaways from yesterday is that he had no clearances - so 14 disposals across the match, including 9 in the second quarter and not one clearance in those, and he's been seen as an inside mid where his clearance work is meant to be a strength

In the past it's been said he's competing with the likes of Selwood, Dangerfield or even Guthrie for a midfield spot where he's at the centre bounce or in the thick of things and the extractor getting first use of the ball for the team. With O'Connor moving into a tagging role the past couple of weeks, it seems he's now competing with another player for those midfield opportunities, getting into the guts at the centre bounces and contests, and what may not be helpful for Constable is that while O'Connor seems to be primarily playing a tagging role the past couple of weeks, he's also showing he can get his hands on the ball first and finished with the 3rd most clearances on the ground with 8 for the match (O'Meara had 13, Guthrie 10 and O'Connors main opponent in Mitchell had 4)

Constable is become a rather frustrating player because there's clearly good aspects to his game and he seems to be able to have a strong impact in a short period of time when he comes onto the field, but he doesn't seem to be able to sustain that impact for whatever reason, and that "whatever" seems to be holding him back for the moment

Didn't he have 16 possessions off 42%GT?
If you're going to malign a guy at least don't misquote his possessions.
That's just plain dishonesty.

He had 14...
Not that 2 disposals makes any difference anyway.
He’s done. It’s a shame, but he’s not good enough. I’ve sat on the fence for the past year or two not sure where he’d end up, but I’m convinced now that this will be his last year. Cant carry a player with deficiencies like his unless they are exceptional in other areas, which he is not.

Didn't he have 16 possessions off 42%GT?
If you're going to malign a guy at least don't misquote his possessions.
That's just plain dishonesty.

First, don't think I actually maligned the guy, rather I just started the facts of his game from yesterday - 14 disposals with 0 clearances, from a player we're told is a big bodied inside midfielder where extraction is meant to be a strength isn't a great return

Second, next time your going to question the stats that are listed by a stats nut (and yes I have various stats websites bookmarked, along with following various sports stats & facts social media accounts), I suggest you look at the relevant stats yourself first

You can praise the guy and his games all you like, but boosting his stats to what they weren't is just plain dishonest

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
First, don't think I actually maligned the guy, rather I just started the facts of his game from yesterday - 14 disposals with 0 clearances, from a player we're told is a big bodied inside midfielder where extraction is meant to be a strength isn't a great return

Second, next time your going to question the stats that are listed by a stats nut (and yes I have various stats websites bookmarked, along with following various sports stats & facts social media accounts), I suggest you look at the relevant stats yourself first

You can praise the guy and his games all you like, but boosting his stats to what they weren't is just plain dishonest

You obviously don't like the guy, that's ok, l think we all understand you.
Loud and clear

He’s done. It’s a shame, but he’s not good enough. I’ve sat on the fence for the past year or two not sure where he’d end up, but I’m convinced now that this will be his last year. Cant carry a player with deficiencies like his unless they are exceptional in other areas, which he is not.

One thing that seems clear from his 4 matches this year (including the Essendon preseason match), is that he's shown capability to have an impact when he first comes on - whether the 4 quarter when subbed in late, first quarter when starting the match or second quarter as we saw yesterday

But he hasn't shown an ability to sustain that impact or a continued involvement in games when he's been on for longer than 1 quarter.

Even yesterday with being subbed on in the second quarter, his 42% TOG was still less than Higgins with 48% who went off with a hamstring injury - I know he missed the first quarter, but he just didn't seem to get used much especially in the last quarter.

After last week there seemed to be questions raised about his fitness or his tank, but after yesterday he seemed to spend a good portion of time on the bench in the last quarter even when we're down to 3 on the bench & the first gamer is cramping up. It had me wondering last night if the reluctance to use him later in matches, especially tight matches is also to do with his lack of leg speed & spread from the contest - if we win the contest then it doesn't necessarily hurt as much as if the opposition gets a clean clearance

I said before, there's some real good aspects to his game but there's also something/s holding him back, and right now whatever it is holding him back is outweighing the positives

You obviously don't like the guy, that's ok, l think we all understand you.
Loud and clear
That's a pretty strange apology when it's clear your earlier accusations were just plain wrong

I don't get how this is still controversial. A few more games as sub maybe but will be delisted end of year. Thanks for your contribution, you stood up a few times and did since great things and we're sorry it didn't work out. All the best for your career at Werribee.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
I'm sure this will start another sh*t fight, but there is no arguing against Constable's fitness anymore (or lack thereof).

If Evans goes off at the 22 minute mark, there were 122 minutes in the match, and you only play 51 minutes out of a possible 100 minutes - what exactly are you offering?

His GT was obviously lower because he didn't start the match, but, this screencap from DTLive is damning:

1617721715458.png

Every other player on the ground played 85+ minutes (the 1st gamer in Holmes played 89 minutes). If we take out Evans' 22 minutes before Constable comes on, he's still playing basically half a quarter less than any other player on the ground (which other players have to make up for).

What makes it even worse, is that we were down a rotation, due to Higgins getting injured too. This then means, that Constable is still playing far less time, while other players - like Holmes who started cramping up from playing extra time, and Smith who had just been throwing up the night before - carried more of the load due to Constable's inability to play extended minutes - he should have played at least 65+ mins given the interchange issue.

Even with these significant shortcomings, I could overlook it if it meant that he was extremely damaging in the minutes that he has. In the second quarter, absolutely he was. Comes on, has 9 disposals, kicks a goal and really sets us up for the second half. But then, the 3rd quarter he has 3 disposals in the space of 4 minutes...and then nothing. In the last, he has 2 disposals in the space of 3 minutes, and nothing else. This is borderline ridiculous given he's getting mid minutes, and he's not getting a clearance, laying a tackle or even putting any pressure on players like O'Meara who just kept exiting the stoppage at will when he lined up on them.

I've actually defended him in the past, but seeing these raw figures week after week, with no improvement, and leaving the bulk of the work to others so they can pick up the slack, is just not justifying his selection or him even being on the list - he's just not capable of performing at the level of an AFL footballer - despite how controversial that opinion seems to be to those who harangued me over this the other day (you know who you are).

You can't argue with raw figures. He may be fitter than you or I, but he's not fit enough to be an elite athlete - and it's time we gave others opportunities as he's actually just proving to be a detriment to the team now. You can rack up as many disposals as you want, but, if your opponent is just waltzing out of the stoppage and getting the same amount of possessions back on you - while being more damaging and spending far more time on the ground - then you're not even breaking even when it comes to your contribution to the team.

To put things in real perspective, Higgins had 7 more minutes TOG than Constable, when he played just over a half of football (got injured 8 minutes into the third) - that is absolutely damning.

He was in the same draft as Fogarty, he's now 22, and it's just not getting any better. It's time to give other kids a shot. It's no longer controversial - he didn't have a tank when he was drafted, and he still doesn't have one now. People need to accept this fact and stop making excuses. It's just disingenuous now.

Last edited:

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Why can’t he just continue to play as a medical sub? Clearly suited to the role and given he was on the scrap heap at end of last year, it is probably more of a role than expected.

I would keep him in this role most weeks.

Kitcat

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm sure this will start another sh*t fight, but there is no arguing against Constable's fitness anymore (or lack thereof).

If Evans goes off at the 22 minute mark, there were 122 minutes in the match, and you only play 51 minutes out of a possible 100 minutes - what exactly are you offering?

His GT was obviously lower because he didn't start the match, but, this screencap from DTLive is damning:

View attachment 1095815

Every other player on the ground played 85+ minutes (the 1st gamer in Holmes played 89 minutes). If we take out Evans' 22 minutes before Constable comes on, he's still playing basically half a quarter less than any other player on the ground (which other players have to make up for).

What makes it even worse, is that we were down a rotation, due to Higgins getting injured too. This then means, that Constable is still playing far less time, while other players - like Holmes who started cramping up from playing extra time, and Smith who had just been throwing up the night before - carried more of the load due to Constable's inability to play extended minutes - he should have played at least 65+ mins given the interchange issue.

Even with these significant shortcomings, I could overlook it if it meant that he was extremely damaging in the minutes that he has. In the second quarter, absolutely he was. Comes on, has 9 disposals, kicks a goal and really sets us up for the second half. But then, the 3rd quarter he has 3 disposals in the space of 4 minutes...and then nothing. In the last, he has 2 disposals in the space of 3 minutes, and nothing else. This is borderline ridiculous given he's getting mid minutes, and he's not getting a clearance, laying a tackle or even putting any pressure on players like O'Meara who just kept exiting the stoppage at will when he lined up on them.

I've actually defended him in the past, but seeing these raw figures week after week, with no improvement, and leaving the bulk of the work to others so they can pick up the slack, is just not justifying his selection or him even being on the list - he's just not capable of performing at the level of an AFL footballer - despite how controversial that opinion seems to be to those who harangued me over this the other day (you know who you are).

You can't argue with raw figures. He may be fitter than you or I, but he's not fit enough to be an elite athlete - and it's time we gave others opportunities as he's actually just proving to be a detriment to the team now. You can rack up as many disposals as you want, but, if your opponent is just waltzing out of the stoppage and getting the same amount of possessions back on you - while being more damaging and spending far more time on the ground - then you're not even breaking even when it comes to your contribution to the team.

To put things in real perspective, Higgins had 7 more minutes TOG than Constable, when he played just over a half of football (got injured 8 minutes into the third) - that is absolutely damning.

He was in the same draft as Fogarty, he's now 22, and it's just not getting any better. It's time to give other kids a shot. It's no longer controversial - he didn't have a tank when he was drafted, and he still doesn't have one now. People need to accept this fact and stop making excuses. It's just disingenuous now.
I know some people are better distance runners than others, some are sprinters. But after 4 years of AFL training, and knowing what his targets are from the coaches, why hasn’t he got a “tank “ at least sufficient to play an acceptable amount of time on the ground without being a Blicavs? Is it a problem with lung capacity? Most people with constant training would improve greatly.

View attachment 1095815

Where did that data visualisation come from? Looks awesome.

Also, is that a potato next to Jordan Clark's name? I'd shift that label to Dahlhaus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back