Review Round 4 vs Carlton @ Metricon Stadium (10.04.21 - 7:25pm)

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Feel for the suns, they honestly are cursed. Has there ever been a year where they have got an injury free run to key players. Remember the days of ablett, prestia, bennell, swallow and omeara all being injured at the same time. Now it’s the like of Witts, rowell and so forth.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Feel for the suns, they honestly are cursed. Has there ever been a year where they have got an injury free run to key players. Remember the days of ablett, prestia, bennell, swallow and omeara all being injured at the same time. Now it’s the like of Witts, rowell and so forth.

Last year aside from Rowell and a few others like Thompson was one of our better years.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Last year aside from Rowell and a few others like Thompson was one of our better years.
That rare good injury year to lul us into a false sense of security.

honestly, we're ******* cursed. I can't even get mad anymore it's just ******* depressing.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Is there any serviceable ruckmen running around any State leagues?
Probably not. St Kilda got Hunter in pre-season draft and they played McKernan ahead o him on weekend. Supposedly, Hunter got sore after 2 games.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Next 3-4 weeks will be interesting with no ruck.

As Dew already said Burgess will ruck. Question is can Burgess ruck 80-90% of the game while players like Greenwood, Swallow, King will chop out around the ground? Or do we bring Graham to share ruck duties with Burgess while both rotating through forward line? Ballard could also chop out rotating with Graham through defense.

Or do we go for a nuclear option and call upon Murtagh? I watched him once in reserves practice game and he was good in contest and can compete one on one (regardless of footy smarts). Question is does he have a tank?

Burgess and Graham sharing duties for me.

check Brisbane’s stats from Thursday
Please don't remind me.I'm only just getting over my anger from that game lol

But yes, you can win the taps as you like, but if you're not getting clearances from it, what's the point? Its the taps to advantage out of the centre square that matters.

NOBBYS

All Australian
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Disastrous news for the whole club ; players , coaches , staff and supporters.
Following AFL/VFL for 60 years cannot remember a team playing a large chunk of the year without a genuine ruckman.
Eight players now with serious long term injuries makes just being competitive even difficult.
With lack of height and size will need to play fast open game to compete with most teams .
Also feel sorry for reserves team with limited experience players now available.
Its a gloomy day weather wise and footy wise and where only three rounds in.
Not sure any Footy Gods live on the Gold Coast.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Please don't remind me.I'm only just getting over my anger from that game lol

But yes, you can win the taps as you like, but if you're not getting clearances from it, what's the point? Its the taps to advantage out of the centre square that matters.
That vision (First Crack) from the last 45 seconds when 4 Collingwood players just stood there and let Rich runs through corridor was terrible. What are they practicing?

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
dont even play a ruck in the centre bounces. i mean have a player there but dont compete, be ready to rove, 4 on 3
You'll need someone to go up or else we'll lose every single hitout to their advantage, Our mids will be exhausted chasing their mids out the middle every bounce.

Just get Graham in there he is a big boy, he's benchpressing PB's surely he can do the job fine with Burgess

Blues90

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Hopefully it's a cracking game I want goldcoast to be successful before the afls love child gws I wish there was a Rowell vs walsh element to the game this weekend

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Is there any serviceable ruckmen running around any State leagues?
There are a few mature agers we could look at to plug a short term gap. Normally clubs would look at a kid with the view for the future. We just need a seasoned big guy to compete now.
Corey Gault dominated the WAFL last year.

Last edited:
That vision (First Crack) from the last 45 seconds when 4 Collingwood players just stood there and let Rich runs through corridor was terrible. What are they practicing?
I wish I knew. That probably was the worst of it. I remember thinking there was a minute to go, surely they would hold on ---

Sier ignored Pendles.
There should have been some flooding. Or just bloody defend. Those players wouldn't like to be seeing that vision in their review.

Back