Preview Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs, Round 4, Saturday April 10, 1:35 PM, MARS Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys, this will be a bit of a last minute effort.

Usually I'd try and watch the opponent's games in the lead up to a preview, but wasn't planning on doing this preview. Looking at their results though... well, we can toss out the Roos' game. I didn't realise they were still scheduling practice matches against VFL clubs in week 3, but there you go. The Dogs' first two weeks OTOH are a bit more impressive - Collingwood has looked good in parts (though not good enough!) and West Coast has being going quite credibly.

Ultimately you can almost always predict the Dogs though. Throw (no pun intended) as many midfielders on to a field in every position you can, and see what sticks. Pretty sure Beveridge will have a life-time appointment to the AA selection committee when he retires. The benefit of doing this is the ability to get quick ball movement regardless of where the ball is on the field. The downside is that the Dogs have looked out of sorts against more even clubs, us included. We've got a two game winning streak going and the biggest margin either way in the last five games between the clubs has been only four goals. A consistent pressure on the ball carrier and maintaining structures around the contest so as to immediately pressure any outlet "disposals" is key to generating turnovers from that midfield.

Once a turnover occurs, Hipwood and Daniher could have a field day - Keath might be the best player in the Dogs' defensive 50 in years, but he can only man up one of them. Gardner only has 15 games to his name by comparison, though at least has a credible body. Down back I like Andrews on Naughton and Adams on Bruce, and Payne can follow English reasonably well. Bont is probably the biggest concern but that's the case for any game and regardless of where he plays. In the middle I definitely hope a) that Oscar returns, as that will give us a strong advantage in the ruck (IMO), and b) Neale's back feels better after the nine day break - as a fit Neale will definitely go a long way to approaching a break even in the middle.

If I'm tipping now (and I am), I'd probably give the Dogs the edge for a host of reasons:
  1. Chances are no Oscar.
  2. We're playing three games away in a row.
  3. We've played two very intense games in a row.
  4. We're playing in Ballarat.
  5. The Dogs are a credible team.
I think it'll be close though and the guys have shown a hell of a lot of spirit in the last two games - lets hope the umpires have nothing to do with the result this week!

1- Big O will be sweet.
2- We love Hub life.
3- 9 day break.
4- Ballarat beautiful one day perfect the next.
5- We are more credible.
You lost me at #4

We beat the Pies after back-to-back 6 day breaks, with external pressure all over the place. Dogs are better (a heavily discounted Treloar being a good addition for them) than the Pies, but I reckon the 9-day break should see us through. Think the club has also been quite clever bringing down another 6 or 7 guys this week. Just keeps the group fresh, prevents it from becoming "stuck in a hotel with the same old mob".

It's a dogs home game, but it's really a double-away game. Eureka Stadium doesn't provide great familiarity for them, and their record there is fine (3-2). They didn't play there at all last year (understandably), and we've played them there once (Bulldogs won 92-76 in Rd8 2019, with us falling apart in the 2nd half).

I reckon the freshen up should suffice to get us across the line.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Man its only 1 win.. but last week makes all the difference.

I actually forget what year/game it was, but I remember a patch where McCluggage absolutely tore the doggies up. With the 2nd half of last week game fresh in my memory, i'm hoping for more
IIRC that was the game in 2019 on MARS where we were playing like champions and fell in a hole and the Dogs eventually ran away with the game.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Have we won at Mars stadium?

(I'm an oldie, can't remember:huh:)
Only played there once, Bailey got injured very early on and we got run over.

Even the Dogs have only played there five times - two losses to Port and wins over Adelaide, GC and us.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Managed to get tickets - will be my third game I've been to in a row which is a nice change compared to last year.

Not sure how to feel about this one. A fit McInerney and Gardiner will make a big difference. They'll punish us like Sydney did if we don't bring the required pressure

I'm similarly conflicted. I still look at the dogs up forward and in defensive 50 and I think they are ripe for the picking if you can equalise or just slightly lose out of the middle. In previous years, any speck of pressure would give you a great chance to get easy scores on the turnover, and you could count on English being destroyed in the contest by a half competent ruck. They definitely do not have the defenders to go with Joe and Eric, and if Charlie can wake up, then look out.

However, Stef solidifies them quite a bit and they bat even deeper in the middle, with their younger players a year older. I think it will be close and if we get Oscar, Dizzy and Bez back in, I think we can win.That is quite a few to rely on being fit though so my tip will probably be a dogs win by a couple of goals.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gardner did an AC Joint in the Kangaroos game. In any case, he's quite bad (Hippy kicked 6 on him last year) so I can't see it making much of a difference.
Gardner at 197cm & 93KG has been quite good for the Dogs this year and he will be missed down back for them.
I believe the only other defender playing this year above 190cm is Keith at 197cm & 93 KG.
They have Cordy at 193cm & 90 KG who played last year but no games in 2021.

Last year the Dogs supporters predicted whoever Gardner marked for the Lions would kick 10. They weren't far off in that regard
That's how bad their supporters rated him last year
But he gradually got better during the year and played every game from round 11 (Lions) for the year. Also played round 1 & 2.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When i look at experience (minimum of 90 games) plus height (minimum 190 cm) i tend to agree with dlanod the Dogs could be burnt on turnovers especially if our delivery forward improves

Lions: Hippy, Daniher, Andrews, Lester, Birchall & Gardiner if he plays
Dogs: Bruce, Bont (mid) Macrae (mid) Martin

At the other end of the scale maybe B2 gets the job on Daniel 168cm who sets up a lot of their attack
Be interesting who we settle on this week

anyone miss out on tickets?
Yep and not happy. Rang the Qld office at Melbourne time 4pm - said they had no idea of what was happening re tickets and they were waiting on Bulldogs - they had no idea when it would happen. Checked my emails around 5.30pm and nothing there - but now checked emails again and one from the Lions that came in at 5.57pm saying you didn’t need a barcode and you could purchase up to 6 ....ing tickets now!!!!!! Just went on and guess what no tickets left. I have no idea why the Brisbane office let non members purchase tickets when this game has such a small amount of tickets even available and a little space for lions members to sit together. Second time ive got screwed over with this system of being able to purchase 6 tickets without any membership code.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
When i look at experience (minimum of 90 games) plus height (minimum 190 cm) i tend to agree with dlanod the Dogs could be burnt on turnovers especially if our delivery forward improves

Lions: Hippy, Daniher, Andrews, Lester, Birchall & Gardiner if he plays
Dogs: Bruce, Bont (mid) Macrae (mid) Martin

At the other end of the scale maybe B2 gets the job on Daniel 168cm who sets up a lot of their attack
Be interesting who we settle on this week

I would definitely be putting Tom Berry on Daniel and just pester him and pressure him all game. They look to Daniel whenever the ball is in their back half and he tends to direct the pace and direction of rebound. Daniel loves to run with ball in hand and open up options upfield. Tom Berry taking away his time and space would be a good thing. Tom has the right amount of fight in him.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I would definitely be putting Tom Berry on Daniel and just pester him and pressure him all game. They look to Daniel whenever the ball is in their back half and he tends to direct the pace and direction of rebound. Daniel loves to run with ball in hand and open up options upfield. Tom Berry taking away his time and space would be a good thing. Tom has the right amount of fight in him.

Could rough him up a bit too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back