Injury SUNS Injury Thread

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
So what are your ruck options now? Huge loss and a real shame for Witts who has really found his feet after earlier inconsistent years.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Least we arent as bad as the Giants.
De Boer out for 10 weeks with a hammy
Perryman has Glandular Fever
Phil Davis 6 weeks with a calf
Coniglio 8 weeks with syndesmosis. Lots of injuries this year all round

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They also lost Preuss but I don't know. None of them is as important as Witts or Rowell to us. Budarick and Day are handy. I gave up on Thompson.

At least I can look forward to see Hollands and Rowell after bye.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I'd argue we are worse because they are all long term injuries and the quality of players is disastrous for us to be all out for the same period of time. Also the amount of knee injuries we have is quite alarming.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I'd argue we are worse because they are all long term injuries and the quality of players is disastrous for us to be all out for the same period of time. Also the amount of knee injuries we have is quite alarming.
They have lost their best mid, best KPD, first ruck and best general defender in the space of 2 weeks. Just as much talent lost as us.
The majority of the knees have been from contact which are just unavoidable, contact injuries are the one thing you cannot plan for in sports

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
GCS only worse is not fully utilise extra 4 or 5 players in the rookie list. As much as Rowell , Budda and Witts are important , those 5 extra rookie spots should be fully utilise when unexpected injuries happen. GWS don't have extra 5 players to choose from .eg Townsend and Murdoch.

Last edited:

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They have lost their best mid, best KPD, first ruck and best general defender in the space of 2 weeks. Just as much talent lost as us.
The majority of the knees have been from contact which are just unavoidable, contact injuries are the one thing you cannot plan for in sports
Coniglio is not what he was, definitely not their best midfielder. Davis is about to retire as he should. Preuss is a loss but he is nowhere near to Witts. They still got backup ruckmen.

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They also lost Preuss but I don't know. None of them is as important as Witts or Rowell to us. Budarick and Day are handy. I gave up on Thompson.

At least I can look forward to see Hollands and Rowell after bye.
This is where the project thing comes to bite us with the likes of Murtagh and Towey who we still don't know can play the game. In 2019 Murtagh was chosen as the Qld zone choice over Dirk Koenan who was the Allies full back , daresay Dirk may have been handy around now especially when he was neck and neck with Caleb Graham in their junior days. If we get extra players we need to be smarter not experiment

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
This is where the project thing comes to bite us with the likes of Murtagh and Towey who we still don't know can play the game. In 2019 Murtagh was chosen as the Qld zone choice over Dirk Koenan who was the Allies full back , daresay Dirk may have been handy around now especially when he was neck and neck with Caleb Graham in their junior days. If we get extra players we need to be smarter not experiment
Nothing wrong with getting murtagh or Twomey type if they are blicav or Geelong Irish players. GCS really have problem identify players in this area from state league to rookie b Irish players .

Last edited:

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Koenan is not up to it.
We would never know cos he was never given the chance , a lot of these academy kids lose the will to play AFL cos they are overlooked for inferior players. We now can't play our 4th ruckman cos he is probably not up till VFL standard. We are burning so much raw AFL talent on the GC for athletes with a 10 percent chance of making it and it comes back to bite us when we get injuries.

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Nothing wrong with getting murtagh or Twomey type if they are blicav or Geelong Irish players. GCS really have problem identify players in this area.
You guys just continue to ignore the biggest issue with our team in that it's not an even playing field, ask anyone on the Gc who had seen Murtagh play ,no one would have given the kid a contract , also with Towey why are we giving an Irishman a contract when we have an academy and nt zone , it's an insult to all those kids who are busting their gut for the academy

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
You guys just continue to ignore the biggest issue with our team in that it's not an even playing field, ask anyone on the Gc who had seen Murtagh play ,no one would have given the kid a contract , also with Towey why are we giving an Irishman a contract when we have an academy and nt zone , it's an insult to all those kids who are busting their gut for the academy
Towey is a Cat B international rookie which means he gets paid out the cap. These Irish boys have great skill and pace, he would have to be one of our quickest for sure.

Hanley, Tuohy, O'Connor, McKenna all started somewhere mate, and all are turning/turned out to be great pick ups. Mark O'Connor right now is out there shutting down Lachie Neale/Tom Mitchell on peanuts.

We have 11 academy players out of 49, how many more academy players do you want? Because right now only 2 even in our best 22 (Bowes & Weller)

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This is where the project thing comes to bite us with the likes of Murtagh and Towey who we still don't know can play the game. In 2019 Murtagh was chosen as the Qld zone choice over Dirk Koenan who was the Allies full back , daresay Dirk may have been handy around now especially when he was neck and neck with Caleb Graham in there junior days
Another academy player miss out opportunity by SUNS. Again if Dirk is good and talented I am sure he can prove himself in state leagues and get drafted by one of 18 AFL teams down the track. I could substitute Dirk with another at least 10 names.

Injuries happens. Usually teams don't lose 4 rucks after 3 rounds. I don't think any team can prepare for it.

The reality is that SUNS academy now also thanks to Darwin finally produces 1-2 players per year who are up to AFL standards potentially. Last year Budarick, Rosas, this year Jeffrey, Davies. The rest are speculative and will most probably not make it. But yes, go ahead and tell us all these academy kids SUNS missed out on which you know 100% they are up to it and would solve our current ruck issue. Did any of them actually made it to AFL? There are plenty of opportunities for them in state leagues. If anything, I would probably draft less rookies from academy and look around the country. But then I agree we would probably not get these extra spots.

By the way, I believe our rookie list will be reduced and it makes sense as we don't have extra resources for development.

Personally, I am more interested in who will make it next year from academy kids including Harris and talls Stevens, Pickering, Hofert, Lockett, Bella.

Last edited:

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Another academy player miss out opportunity by SUNS. Again if Dirk is good and talented I am sure he can prove himself in state leagues and get drafted by one of 18 AFL teams down the track. I could substitute Dirk with another at least 10 names.

Injuries happens. Usually teams don't lose 4 rucks after 3 rounds. I don't think any team can prepare for it.

The reality is that SUNS academy now also thanks to Darwin finally produces 1-2 players per year who are up to AFL standards potentially. Last year Budarick, Rosas, this year Jeffrey, Davies. The rest are speculative and will most probably not make it. But yes, go ahead and tell us all these academy kids SUNS missed out on which you know 100% they are up to it and would solve our current ruck issue. Did any of them actually made it to AFL? There are plenty of opportunities for them in state leagues. If anything, I would probably draft less rookies from academy and look around the country. But then I agree we would probably not get these extra spots.

By the way, I believe our rookie list will be reduced and it makes sense as we don't have extra resources for development.

Personally, I am more interested in who will make it next year from academy kids including Harris and talls Stevens, Pickering, Hofert, Lockett, Bella.
If U had your last 10 to bet would you put it on a 10 to 1 horse or a 100 to 1 , ATM we are putting our cash on the 100 to 1 and wonder why we are bankrupt. The GC used to produce Rewoldt , Osborne. Beams brothers , Pettard , Hale and many more . That is not happening now as the footballers are getting overlooked by import athletes at 18 and being lost in the system and we wonder why we are in the position we are in. Btw we will take in this year's draft whoever Callum tells us

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If U had your last 10 to bet would you put it on a 10 to 1 horse or a 100 to 1 , ATM we are putting our cash on the 100 to 1 and wonder why we are bankrupt. The GC used to produce Rewoldt , Osborne. Beams brothers , Pettard , Hale and many more . That is not happening now as the footballers are getting overlooked by import athletes at 18 and being lost in the system and we wonder why we are in the position we are in. Btw we will take in this year's draft whoever Callum tells us
OK, you want me to waste money. $10 on Nicholls, not Pescud (after watching them probably 2-3 times).

Last edited:

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
OK, you want me to waste money. $10 on Nicholls, not Pescud (after watching them probably 2-3 times).
Ok I have some info from someone who was with the Suns a long time whether you want to accept it or not, the Suns were introduced to grow the game in Qld and bring in new markets. Therefore when they select a player ( this goes back to Hunt / Wilkinson Heron etc) where they come from and their background is more important than their playing ability. It's all about getting on the back page of the Bulletin in front of the Titans with that diversity Angle. I also believe someone in head office also had large input in who we select too ( notice the media leaks last year) . What this means is that we are not selecting the most balanced and highest quality list as we have other KPIs to meet. Therefore we may have talented 16/17 year Olds that will never get a chance as they don't have the backstory or aren't amongst the chosen ones selected by a certain person. It has been going on for years and is a major reason we haven't made finals.

What they don't realise is that if we are a successful club the crowds and Pr will come not because a particular player comes from Roma, made the under 18 Australian track team or had an uncle that played two games for the Broncos . The other thing is guys that have been successful like Blicacs and Fullarton played AFL as a kid , they aren't coming in cold

Back