Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

So you personally would have accepted just our 2021 1st rounder?
For the upcoming trade period, yes. At last years trade period, no. There will be a lot more certainty around a lot of other matters this year rather than the chaos that was taking place last year. If your pick is in the top 3-5 I’d say it would get done if he was that desperate.

For the upcoming trade period, yes. At last years trade period, no. There will be a lot more certainty around a lot of other matters this year rather than the chaos that was taking place last year. If your pick is in the top 3-5 I’d say it would get done if he was that desperate.
We were discussing last trade period though. 🤷‍♂️

If we lose Merrett and the pick is top 5 I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:
So you personally would have accepted just our 2021 1st rounder?
I think Sam power would have probably taken the 2021 first, too. Maybe something else attached but that would have been really valuable because as you said, it was/is likely a top 6 pick.

I think Sam power would have probably taken the 2021 first, too. Maybe something else attached but that would have been really valuable because as you said, it was/is likely a top 6 pick.
Weren't you one of the Dogs fans on our board in November saying it'd need to be 2 future firsts?

Edit: Yep, quick search has you saying 2 firsts or Draper to get the Bulldogs interested or Dunkley stays.

Last edited:
Weren't you one of the Dogs fans on our board in November saying it'd need to be 2 future firsts?

Edit: Yep, quick search has you saying 2 firsts or Draper to get the Bulldogs interested or Dunkley stays.
Yeah, probably. That’s what I believed him to be worth at the time. I didn’t say in the post you just quoted that I would take that, however. I said Sam Power would.

edit: and my assumption wasn’t proven wrong during trade week, was it. No trade was done because Essendon didnt offer up enough currency.

Yeah, probably. That’s what I believed him to be worth at the time. I didn’t say in the post you just quoted that I would take that, however. I said Sam Power would.

edit: and my assumption wasn’t proven wrong during trade week, was it. No trade was done because Essendon didnt offer up enough currency.
I never said you were wrong. You were 100% right, we needed to offer more to turn heads.

I'm just pointing out that at the time the trade was going down you said 2 future first were needed to get the Dogs interested.

I just don't quite understand why you now think Power would have done it for one when back then you thought it would take 2 just to get him interested. Benefit of hindsight?

It won't be just Essendon after him after this season.
I actually don't think Essendon will go after him this season.
Sydney proved that rejuvenating the list through the draft is the way to go and we're seeing the same benefits from our draftees.
I'd prefer we take our 2021 pick to the draft.

Dunkley is out of contract at the end of next year so I prefer to target him then if he didn't re-sign or leave to another club.

I never said you were wrong. You were 100% right, we needed to offer more to turn heads.

I'm just pointing out that at the time the trade was going down you said 2 future first were needed to get the Dogs interested.

I just don't quite understand why you now think Power would have done it for one when back then you thought it would take 2 just to get him interested. Benefit of hindsight?
What’s the point of this conversation? 😂

To be honest I don’t remember what I posted and in what context so I feel like this is kind of mundane as I’ve already stated I currently believe Sam Power would have accepted Essendons 2021 first give or take a sweetener from the Dons, however at the time I obv personally thought Dunks was worth 2 firsts, as did many others. Did I specifically say 2 future firsts? Genuine question.

What’s the point of this conversation? 😂

To be honest I don’t remember what I posted and in what context so I feel like this is kind of mundane as I’ve already stated I currently believe Sam Power would have accepted Essendons 2021 first give or take a sweetener from the Dons, however at the time I obv personally thought Dunks was worth 2 firsts, as did many others. Did I specifically say 2 future firsts? Genuine question.
I'm just wondering what's changed your mind?

You said 2 future firsts to get the Dogs to turn their head.

I'm just wondering what's changed your mind?

You said 2 future firsts to get the Dogs to turn their head.
I just checked the posts for context. What a thread that was. Wow.

I actually said that it would PROBABLY take two future firsts to turn Powers head or just a Draper straight up (Drapes is a gun and still reckon he’d be a ripping pairing for English).

What changed my mind to think that one pick will now get it done? I dunno mate. How long is a piece of string? Dunks contract is now a year less, our midfield is incredibly stacked with more waiting in the wings to fill spots, we need currency for a competent KPB, there’s no longer time pressure or an emotional attachment to the situation, a myriad of reasons as to why I’d nowhappily accept a top 10 for him.

Again, why such a specific question? What are you trying to do here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just checked the posts for context. What a thread that was. Wow.

I actually said that it would PROBABLY take two future firsts to turn Powers head or just a Draper straight up (Drapes is a gun and still reckon he’d be a ripping pairing for English).

What changed my mind to think that one pick will now get it done? I dunno mate. How long is a piece of string? Dunks contract is now a year less, our midfield is incredibly stacked with more waiting in the wings to fill spots, we need currency for a competent KPB, there’s no longer time pressure or an emotional attachment to the situation, a myriad of reasons as to why I’d nowhappily accept a top 10 for him.

Again, why such a specific question? What are you trying to do here?
I literally just wanted to know why you changed your mind. That's it. As I said 😂.

I still don't think it would've been enough for what it's worth. Dogs, rightfully, would've demanded more than just 1 pick.

I actually don't think Essendon will go after him this season.
Sydney proved that rejuvenating the list through the draft is the way to go and we're seeing the same benefits from our draftees.
I'd prefer we take our 2021 pick to the draft.

Dunkley is out of contract at the end of next year so I prefer to target him then if he didn't re-sign or leave to another club.

Not many sides have an academy to draw from like Sydney does so it's not a great blueprint. I do agree with rebuilding through the draft though, just for different reasons.

Not many sides have an academy to draw from like Sydney does so it's not a great blueprint. I do agree with rebuilding through the draft though, just for different reasons.
Sure they have an academy, but we also had 3 top 10 selections in the draft, which is almost as much top end talent as Sydney selected in the last couple of years. If we finish bottom 4 and Merrett leaves, that would be 5 top 10 selections in two years.

We've tried the trading route and it didn't work. Time for us to build through the draft.

lol you are now saying he is not even worth a top 5 pick in a draft? wow.

Wherever we finish this year, losing Merrett likely means we'd finish in a similar position next year. Would you give up a top-5 selection for a guy who'll start the season in a bottom 4 side at 25 and likely be at least 27 / 28 by the time that side returns to finals? Given losing Merrett would almost definitely mean EFC finished bottom 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back