Is Hartigan in trouble?

Last edited:
In play ear-tickler that happens every game vs belting a player 100m behind play.

At most, it's a 1-weeker
Has to be the crudest "ear tickler" I've seen for some time, but agree 1 week at most.

Generalissimo

His Excellency
Jul 14, 2002
Somewhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Ultimately I shouldn't really care. Hatrigan getting a week or two, or not, makes no difference to Geelong. The 50 was nice, and surprising, enough.

But the AFL are constantly banging on about how the head is sacrosanct and utterly protected, and they enforce this strictly... against Geelong.

Had the roles been reversed, with Hawkins giving Hartigan a little clip behind the scalp, it would be an automatic two weeks and nobody would question it. (More surprising would be Hartigan being 5m ahead of Hawkins on a lead, but that is beside the point).

It's just annoying that, when it comes to the MRP, the rules are only there to punish us. We're not protected by them.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
tenor.gif

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Dont mind if they start giving blatantly late and obvious cheap shots like this 1 week. Its pretty cowardly, whacking a bloke in the head out of frustration that you weren't good enough to beat your opponent.

That said, under current rules it's a fine at most. But if they're serious about protecting the head it should at least be a hefty one. Players dgaf about $2000.

Also, the player should have to pay it themselves, not come from the aflpa slush fund.

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
Ultimately I shouldn't really care. Hatrigan getting a week or two, or not, makes no difference to Geelong. The 50 was nice, and surprising, enough.

But the AFL are constantly banging on about how the head is sacrosanct and utterly protected, and they enforce this strictly... against Geelong.

Had the roles been reversed, with Hawkins giving Hartigan a little clip behind the scalp, it would be an automatic two weeks and nobody would question it. (More surprising would be Hartigan being 5m ahead of Hawkins on a lead, but that is beside the point).

It's just annoying that, when it comes to the MRP, the rules are only there to punish us. We're not protected by them.

Oh you Geelong whingers are unbelievable! MASSIVE difference between this and what Dangerfield did to Kelly, for instance.
He deserved every one of those 3 weeks and probably another one. It had nothing to do with who he plays for. FFS get over yourselves.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
I've got no problem with him getting a week but you are deadset kidding yourself if you think that counts as medium impact. My guess is it will be graded as high contact, low impact and careless - a $1,000 fine with the early plea. Easy way to change it is change the calculator. Automatic 1 week if you collect the head.

Generalissimo

His Excellency
Jul 14, 2002
Somewhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Oh you Geelong whingers are unbelievable! MASSIVE difference between this and what Dangerfield did to Kelly, for instance.
He deserved every one of those 3 weeks and probably another one. It had nothing to do with who he plays for. FFS get over yourselves.

I didn't bring up Dangerfield.

The fact remains, if Hawkins had given Hartigan a clip on the back of the scone he'd be looking at two weeks and nobody would question it.

I've got no problem with him getting a week but you are deadset kidding yourself if you think that counts as medium impact. My guess is it will be graded as high contact, low impact and careless - a $1,000 fine with the early plea. Easy way to change it is change the calculator. Automatic 1 week if you collect the head.
I would grade it intentional not careless, the ball was marked well before and he decided to aim for the head wasn't going for the ball.

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
I didn't bring up Dangerfield.

The fact remains, if Hawkins had given Hartigan a clip on the back of the scone he'd be looking at two weeks and nobody would question it.

Champion. There's no 'fact' in what you stated. It is, in fact, just whingeing, speculative gibberish. That's all.

Generalissimo

His Excellency
Jul 14, 2002
Somewhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
No sh*t it wasn't assessed. It was a love tap at best.
******* hilarious because if it was a cats player who had done it the cats fans would be defending it to the hilt.

Naw, we'd be resigned to missing that player for a week or two.

That said, I was satisfied with the 50. Hartigan getting a holiday benefits us not at all but Hawkins getting a shot on goal from the goalsquare is very handy.

No sh*t it wasn't assessed. It was a love tap at best.
******* hilarious because if it was a cats player who had done it the cats fans would be defending it to the hilt.
Because this is a suspension
giphy.gif

and this is a TWO week suspension

1617723397856.gif

but this is nothing

7D67A631-852E-4454-8D13-C6E1779BD0C7.jpeg

C47D1F20-2944-49EB-8E51-3DD486D845B9.jpeg

he was never going for the ball it was an intentional round arm to the back of the head. Geelong fans only ask for consistency but it seems the rules are only consistently applied to Geelong.

Back