Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Why is Daicos not getting a run in the middle. He is quick to react, bursts from packs and hits targets by hand and foot. Yeah he kicked some nice goals but its a cameo role. Sidebottom is really struggling, play him in the pocket and role Daics in to the middle or at least the wing.

Buckely is so damn negative in his set ups, the players have had instinct coached out of them. Mayne on a wing over Daicos??
Posted the exact same thoughts in the Daicos thread. I don’t understand it.

Why is Daicos not getting a run in the middle. He is quick to react, bursts from packs and hits targets by hand and foot. Yeah he kicked some nice goals but its a cameo role. Sidebottom is really struggling, play him in the pocket and role Daics in to the middle or at least the wing.

Buckely is so damn negative in his set ups, the players have had instinct coached out of them. Mayne on a wing over Daicos??

Daicos is definitely doing midfield minutes.

People often ask me via PM and that re.. but if we get a new coach doesn't guarantee success.. my response to that is.. we've got to continue trying to do the right and honest thing.. if it doesn't work out in the initial stages.. it will work out long term.. just bloody do the right things.. very simple formula re.. this is not about winning a premiership tomorrow.. or the yr after.. or the yr after that.. it's about sustained success over a s**t long period of time.. 5 yrs.. 10 yrs.. 20 yrs.. 50 yrs.. to get there we must be prepared to embarrass ourselves even further in the first coupla yrs or whatever.. we might be viewed as being a bit of a laughing stock and that re.. but deep down.. these bastards in the media and so on and so forth will know in their heart of hearts.. that we are on the ******* move.. and when we ******* land.. they'll be no other clubs out there that will be able to match us.

Eliminate as much politics from the club as possible.. keep it under control.. and just approach every thing we do from now on end with honesty and integrity.

Buckley on matchday.. is not great.

He's not good or terrible as I see it. A real middle of the road coach. He rarely loses games due "gameday" coaching, but nor does he win many with startling moves.

He seems to be more about process, at least from a lay person's view.

People often ask me via PM and that re.. but if we get a new coach doesn't guarantee success.. my response to that is.. we've got to continue trying to do the right and honest thing.. if it doesn't work out in the initial stages.. it will work out long term.. just bloody do the right things.. very simple formula re.. this is not about winning a premiership tomorrow.. or the yr after.. or the yr after that.. it's about sustained success over a sh*t long period of time.. 5 yrs.. 10 yrs.. 20 yrs.. 50 yrs.. to get there we must be prepared to embarrass ourselves even further in the first coupla yrs or whatever.. we might be viewed as being a bit of a laughing stock and that re.. but deep down.. these bastards in the media and so on and so forth will know in their heart of hearts.. that we are on the ******* move.. and when we ******* land.. they'll be no other clubs out there that will be able to match us.

Eliminate as much politics from the club as possible.. keep it under control.. and just approach every thing we do from now on end with honesty and integrity.

Buckley on matchday.. is not great.
I agree with the approach but people are too impatient.

I agree with the approach but people are too impatient.

And some people want to measure quantity over quality re.. play in 3 consecutive finals series.. and that's enough to warrant an extension? If the world worked that way we'd only ever be interested in one discipline re.. and opinions wouldn't count for s**t. Fantastic world that would be.

And some people want to measure quantity over quality re.. play in 3 consecutive finals series.. and that's enough to warrant an extension? If the world worked that way we'd only ever be interested in one discipline re.. and opinions wouldn't count for sh*t. Fantastic world that would be.
I can just see the coffee mugs now “finalists 2018,2019,2020”. Will sell like hot cakes!

Thing is with Buckley his coaching methods dont marry up with the team and the playing list he has. One of our greatest players BUT as a but as a coach MEH !

Nearly got there in 2018/19 but i account the coaching staff around him then (longmuir, Hocking and Gotch) WERE THE CATALYSTS NOT BUCKLEY.

it was common knowledge then that Buckley pulled the reins back and allowed the assistants to take the reins.......We nearly won a flag.

But Buckley insists to do more and now the assistants who were of great help are no longer there, yet we keep Sanderson and Mumbles Harvey (could some club please take this guy he is useless)

I give Buckley more credit as an assistant, he did a great job helping mould Malthouses game plan in 2010.

If Buckley was moved on, Clarkson would be the obvious replacement BUT i think AFL would get involved and send Clarko to GWS especially if they have a bad year this Year.

Next Pies coach maybe...............John Longmuir from Sydney OR if we want to go younger luke Hodge with Ross lyon as director of coaching and a decent assistant line up........CLARKSON WOULD BE MY NUMBER 1 THEN JOGHN LONGMIRE THEN HODGE WITH LYON

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if we had clarkson as senior coach we would win a flag within 3 years.
He would mould and restructure our team with players who have skill and who are tough

if we had clarkson as senior coach we would win a flag within 3 years.
He would mould and restructure our team with players who have skill and who are tough

Problem is we ain't gettin Clarko or Hodge or Mitchell or anyone of note, we'll get whoever wants to come here, if there is any, worse still can't bribe coz soft cap. May end even worse than what we got now, if that's possible.

My take on Bucks in last weeks game at least was that it wasnt his best day, as opposed to the week before when most everything worked pretty well bearing in the mind the Blues are a middling side.

I was getting increasingly concerned that the BL charge would come particularly when we squandered a strong HT lead.
Felt HMcC was the most influential player and we seemed to play Tyler on him all day, he just destroyed us in the second half. Also, Rich did far too much damage later in the game with only Callum attemping to reduce his effect ( and he didn't do it well, although his game on Saad justified his start )
I cannot recall Pendles spending any ( or much) time resting fwd when he has been useful in that area in the earlier games. His presence seems to panic defenders and he draws opposition numbers to him.

They seemed to very effectively take Darc. out of play with JD often dragging him wide knowing he had CC and Hipwood as targets. The defence was again strong it was the lack of pressure from our fwds and mid that gave them some good looks.

Felt our gun mid from the previous week Adams was extremely ineffective ( had a bulky bandage on a knee ), Sidey was way below par yet we were in control for the great majority of the game so its understandable we didnt do much to change things up. My dissapointment came from the fact it was palpable they were going to come and we could neither ice the game nor defend it, just thought if we were more proactive earlier it wouldn't have slipped through our fingers.

I have a question for Nathan re his comments on Grundy:

If the ruck position isn't that important but rather what happens at ground level as you allude to, then why are we spending 1 million bucks a year on Grundy when we could use some of those bucks to make rucking more important like a Nic Nat? More than certain if a little brain power with the right mentor we could have a Brodie Nui on our hands.

If it doesn't matter so much why are we spending so much on it? Don't we learn lessons of spending too much at Collingwood? Maybe dumb questions I mean it is Collingwood after all.

I have a question for Nathan re his comments on Grundy:

If the ruck position isn't that important but rather what happens at ground level as you allude to, then why are we spending 1 million bucks a year on Grundy when we could use some of those bucks to make rucking more important like a Nic Nat? More than certain if a little brain power with the right mentor we could have a Brodie Nui on our hands.

If it doesn't matter so much why are we spending so much on it? Don't we learn lessons of spending too much at Collingwood? Maybe dumb questions I mean it is Collingwood after all.
In fairness Bucks said total hit outs is a rubbish stat. Advantage hit outs are not.
I'm sure you are aware, but maybe not wanting to acknowledge, Grundy averaged over 20 Possessions/ game in 2019, 65% contested...6 clearances etc etc.
Unless i am missing something, that's a little more than HO's is it not? In fact, it another mid.

In fairness Bucks said total hit outs is a rubbish stat. Advantage hit outs are not.
I'm sure you are aware, but maybe not wanting to acknowledge, Grundy averaged over 20 Possessions/ game in 2019, 65% contested...6 clearances etc etc.
Unless i am missing something, that's a little more than HO's is it not? In fact, it another mid.

Yeah another mid, not a $7 million ruckman, it's after the fact that it's like 'meh, hit outs, don't mean much' well then if hit outs don't mean much why the $7 million bucks?

Hit outs - ruckman, tomayto - tomato.

FM this club never learns, bad administration is obviously gonna linger like a bad smell around this joint for a while yet, shouldn't be surprised I guess. Us fans just need to bend over and accept it like always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back