Player Watch #2 Hayden McLean - re-signed end 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

bKHqmfVe.jpg

Hayden McLean

Player Profile

Pre-season supplementary list rules allowed the Sydney Swans to sign Hayden McLean in March 2019, and while injury ruled out the key-position player for seven of the first 10 NEAFL games of the season, he’d respond in commanding fashion. The former Sandringham Dragons skipper made his AFL debut as Sydney met Fremantle in Round 18, 2019, which saw him battle imposing ruck trio Aaron Sandilands, Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb, as well as a parochial Optus Stadium crowd. Coach John Longmire praised McLean’s debut performance and he finished the season with four AFL games beside his name. The 197-centimetre, 93-kilogram giant is chasing consistent AFL selection in 2020. Draft history: 2019 pre-season supplementary rookie selection

Hayden McLean

DOB:20 January 1999
DRAFT:2018
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/St Bede's Coll (Vic)/ Sand U18/Sand (VFL)

Last edited:
He appears to have a professional and mature head on his shoulders with having to handle going in and out of the side despite playing fairly well. I really think he's an untapped resource who can be a genuinely good player. He's got a real sense for playing footy. I don't see why ultimately he can't end up providing what Sam Reid has at his best - hard-working, 2nd tall who tackles hard and is good for 1.5 goals a game while also taking 2nd ruck duties. I really hope we re-sign him with Reid and Bud coming to the end of their careers.

Not a star but an essential type of player in a good team: selfless, industrious, and a good footy brain.

We need to be getting games into him.

He's so slow. And a bit of a Goober. But * me if he can't clunk a grab, and he can kick straight! Hopefully he can get whatever treatment Warner got and get a bit of speed/explosiveness in his game, cos he's got enough of everything else to be a really solid player. He's just still a bit of a liability on the rebound.

He's so slow. And a bit of a Goober. But fu** me if he can't clunk a grab, and he can kick straight! Hopefully he can get whatever treatment Warner got and get a bit of speed/explosiveness in his game, cos he's got enough of everything else to be a really solid player. He's just still a bit of a liability on the rebound.
He's steadily improving and I don't think we've seen his ceiling yet. Not terrifically agile but does get around and keeps his defender totally accountable. Might be good to remember he kicked 4 on an all Australian defender. None were gifts.
Logan is a different animal and they may end up a good pairing.
Nice to think two of our best players tonight were bought for steak knives and scones.
Geelong not getting much change from $2mn. 🤣🤣🤣

He's steadily improving and I don't think we've seen his ceiling yet. Not terrifically agile but does get around and keeps his defender totally accountable. Might be good to remember he kicked 4 on an all Australian defender. None were gifts.
Logan is a different animal and they may end up a good pairing.
Nice to think two of our best players tonight were bought for steak knives and scones.
Geelong not getting much change from $2mn. 🤣🤣🤣

Also our midfield were not exactly giving the forwards a lot of opportunity against Geelong so McLean kicking 4 goals is quite impressive given the limited supply.

What an impressive display from McLean. Stoked for him to finally have a game where he showed his wares for a full game. On a good player in Henderson no less.

He reminds me of Hickey in the sense that he doesn't have really stand out attributes but you can see how cleverly he uses his body to his advantage. A real footballer to his bones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said pre-season that it would be huge if McLean could prove a strong contributor in the best 22 this year, as opposed to the serviceable contributor he's been thus far. Last night we just watched a 22 year old forward in just his 14th game kick 4 goals, with our other promising young key forward in Logan in the VFL. Ideally we want them getting games together and building a chemistry, but it felt damn good to be excited by a developing forward and it not be the one we were expecting to be excited about.

Was a fan from his first game as an undersized and unfit ruck. Won quite a few clearances and showed intelligence and toughness.

He has shown lots of smarts in his knock ons and his positioning. Also seems very team oriented. He knows he is 4th banana among the tall forwards. He is an old fashioned forward and a point of difference with Logan, Bud and Sam.

It goes without saying I am delighted for his personal success.

Was a fan from his first game as an undersized and unfit ruck. Won quite a few clearances and showed intelligence and toughness.

He has shown lots of smarts in his knock ons and his positioning. Also seems very team oriented. He knows he is 4th banana among the tall forwards. He is an old fashioned forward and a point of difference with Logan, Bud and Sam.

It goes without saying I am delighted for his personal success.

He has similar qualities to Sam actually, but he seems to be a better kick.

Also Reid hasnt kicked too many 4 goal hauls in his career, mostly because of his wayward kicking at goal.

He has similar qualities to Sam actually, but he seems to be a better kick.

Also Reid hasnt kicked too many 4 goal hauls in his career, mostly because of his wayward kicking at goal.

Yep. Reid is much more reliable these days. I think he put a work into his set shot routine.

He’s a 22 year old 197cm key forward in a top 4 side who will only get better in the next few years. Has huge upside imo

He is also slowly building his tank but still needs work so keep him close to goals. Play him as an old school full forward and oppositions will need to keep a big man back with him.

Got a lot of time for him as a Swan. We’d be making a big mistake if we ever saw him as a supplement to our needs. He could genuinely be the perfect combo with McDonald for a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have a ready made moniker.

The Big Macs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back