Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodgey09

Cancelled
Feb 7, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Loved the below from Jake Niall who basically suggests that CJ with his fearless approach and refusal to bow his head after a mistake is defining the Hawks footy of 2021. Completely agree with him -

"But the player who most personified their oft-haphazard and imprecise, mistake-prone yet defiant and eventually bold approach was Changkuoth Jiath, the 21-year-old Ethiopian-born defender.

Jiath, usually known as “CJ”, had been notable early in the match for his dashes from half-back. He took off with the ball and ran - at Stawell Gift pace on occasion - without anyone knowing, team mates included, where he would go with the footy.

Sometimes he overlooked team mates who were open. Sometimes his handball missed the mark.

But Jiath was not deterred by his mis-steps.

Not once did he cease from taking risks, nor from running with the intention of creating for his team.

Late in the suddenly-frantic final minutes, as his team rose, Jiath was stiff not to be given a holding ball call that might have been the difference, when he ran down a Cat from behind.

They lost, but the game confirmed that the Hawks had found a player."

The boy is exciting, love to watch him play - there's just still a few things even in the highlights package where you think if only he'd done something a little bit differently. Like that kick after the 50.

The difference between now and this time last year though is that the mistakes aren't quite giving up goals as often.

Jul 3, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The boy is exciting, love to watch him play - there's just still a few things even in the highlights package where you think if only he'd done something a little bit differently. Like that kick after the 50.

The difference between now and this time last year though is that the mistakes aren't quite giving up goals as often.
Given the difference between this time last year and now, if he keeps it up, this time next year he'll be unbelievable

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Given the difference between this time last year and now, if he keeps it up, this time next year he'll be unbelievable

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
Agree. He has improved quite a lot, and I suspect once he becomes comfortable at the level and some of that nervous energy subsides, he will become a more composed player. He plays at a couple of degrees higher than he needs to sometimes, but I'd rather that than someone timid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His line-breaking ability can really circumvent teams defensive setups. You can't plan for that kind of speed.
Our forwards need to though.

it’s one thing to encourage him to break the game open, but our forwards need to get their head around what it means when CJ breaks from half back.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Our forwards need to though.

it’s one thing to encourage him to break the game open, but our forwards need to get their head around what it means when CJ breaks from half back.

Yeah I was thinking that as I posted it, a few times he's taken off and caught even the forwards well out of position.

I imagine they will get used to it though just by playing together.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
He would have to be close to the AA shortlist for a HBF based on the first three games. Incredible improvement and only two mistakes today that I recall
Wrong club.
There are some clubs that get players selected on current form, some that get selected based on the "aura," and then there's hawthorn, where players need to have several consistent seasons to be recognised

Yeah I was thinking that as I posted it, a few times he's taken off and caught even the forwards well out of position.

I imagine they will get used to it though just by playing together.
Chad was very lucky to get on the end of that one that he did. CJ just runs and dumps it at this stage.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
Could CJ be leading our best & fairest award if it was done right now? No doubt he’s been in the top 5 in terms of performance.

Round 1: 22 disposals - 4 marks - 2 tackles
Round 2: 25 disposals - 8 marks - 3 rebound 50s
Round 3: 23 disposals - 10 marks - 6 rebound 50s

forget BnF, he's in brownlow contention

The one where he got the 50 was exciting but he could have finished his work better by kicking it to Cegs who was leading up the corridor rather than bomb it long to 2 Geelong players. He will learn just had the adrenalin pumping he will learn to make better decisions with experience

The one where he got the 50 was exciting but he could have finished his work better by kicking it to Cegs who was leading up the corridor rather than bomb it long to 2 Geelong players. He will learn just had the adrenalin pumping he will learn to make better decisions with experience
He was streaming forward and no one was keeping up with him. I sorta wanted him to take a bounce and then have a shot from 40m. :astonished:

He was streaming forward and no one was keeping up with him. I sorta wanted him to take a bounce and then have a shot from 40m. :astonished:
Maybe he will in years to come. The team thing however would have been to pass it to Cegs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back