Review Geelong defeats Hawks by 5 points

Did anyone tell Merrick he has a new team?

1617713017829.png

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
I don't want to get too hung up on the Hartigan incident but I think we should at least hear an explanation from the AFL as to why there's no suspension.

It was nowhere near the ball, it was not an attempt to spoil, it was intentional because you can definitely control that action. Impact should play factor but it shouldn't solely be reliant on how the receiver responds. If Hawkins stayed haunches over for a lot longer, or collapsed like Neale people would judge it more harshly.

If it's not a reportable offence, fine, but I'd like the AFL to explain why it isnt. Deliberate, avoidable, intentional hit to the head.

I agree with your sentiments, perfectly articulated. The act reeked of intimidation, beaten but will "make you earn it" now and going forward. Therefore deliberate. Of course Hawthorn would argue it wasn't, when it comes down to split seconds and forward motion. That wasn't the only incident either, Dawks (i.e Ceglar) were pretty underhand dirty on the day.

Generalissimo

His Excellency
Jul 14, 2002
Somewhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
You know who Jordan Clark reminds me of with his pace, longish curly hair, and swagger?

Peter Riccardi.

He does! Peter Riccardi was a super kick on the left. I hope like Riccardi, Clark becomes a consistent sweet kicking machine.
With a goal after the siren against Carlton to seal the deal?

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Chris scott last night said we have 4 of the best 5 runners in the comp. Blitz, smith, miers and menegola? At a guess.

Other good runners like duncan, stanley (for a ruckman), o’connor, tuohy. So it’s not like we are short in that area at all.
I'm talking about as a team. A few great runners does not help if the rest are average - Richmond, Sydney etc are more well placed with a higher average across their whole team.

No news on Hartigan's strike?
Selwood will get a fine for wrestling after it.

50 was paid and that's the end of it for Hartigan

GO Catters

Burro

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't want to get too hung up on the Hartigan incident but I think we should at least hear an explanation from the AFL as to why there's no suspension.

It was nowhere near the ball, it was not an attempt to spoil, it was intentional because you can definitely control that action. Impact should play factor but it shouldn't solely be reliant on how the receiver responds. If Hawkins stayed haunches over for a lot longer, or collapsed like Neale people would judge it more harshly.

If it's not a reportable offence, fine, but I'd like the AFL to explain why it isnt. Deliberate, avoidable, intentional hit to the head.
Agreed. It makes no difference to Geelong what the outcome is. But, it does makes a massive difference to the game and the safety of players. Not to mention the message it sends to all the young players. I see this more of a test of the integrity of the AFL.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Agreed. It makes no difference to Geelong what the outcome is. But, it does makes a massive difference to the game and the safety of players. Not to mention the message it sends to all the young players. I see this more of a test of the integrity of the AFL.
There goes my coffee allover the keyboard.

Kitcat

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes. A bump and an accidental head clash v a punch to the head after a chest mark with the ball nowhere near the fist.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs

If only Toma had held up three fingers for the cameras while rubbing the back of his head, this could all have been so different.

:rolleyes:

If only Toma had held up three fingers for the cameras while rubbing the back of his head, this could all have been so different.

:rolleyes:

and then having those in the media go on about it the next day and how he was having a hard time eating his easter eggs because of his saw jaw...

Surely no better way to endear yourself to the Geelong faithful than get picked up by the MRO for an incident involving your former club Hawthorn...

Isaac Smith, Geelong, has been charged with Misconduct against Daniel Howe, Hawthorn, during the first quarter of the Round Three match between Geelong and Hawthorn, played at the MCG, on Monday April 5.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Misconduct. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Loved it on the weekend when Mitchell took a dive and followed it up with the gut punch on O'Connor, and now the MRO have told him to pay up

Tom Mitchell, Hawthorn, has been charged with Striking (Fixed Financial Sanction) Mark O'Connor, Geelong, during the third quarter of the Round Three match between Geelong and Hawthorn, played at the MCG, on Monday April 5.

In summary, he can accept a $1500 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Striking (Fixed Financial Sanction). The incident was classified as a $2500 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $1500 sanction with an early plea.

And Hartigan's ear clip didn't go unnoticed

Kyle Hartigan, Hawthorn, has been charged with Striking Tom Hawkins, Geelong, during the second quarter of the Round Three match between Geelong and Hawthorn, played at the MCG, on Monday April 5.

In summary, he can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Surely no better way to endear yourself to the Geelong faithful than get picked up by the MRO for an incident involving your former club Hawthorn...

Isaac Smith, Geelong, has been charged with Misconduct against Daniel Howe, Hawthorn, during the first quarter of the Round Three match between Geelong and Hawthorn, played at the MCG, on Monday April 5.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Misconduct. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Loved it on the weekend when Mitchell took a dive and followed it up with the gut punch on O'Connor, and now the MRO have told him to pay up

Tom Mitchell, Hawthorn, has been charged with Striking (Fixed Financial Sanction) Mark O'Connor, Geelong, during the third quarter of the Round Three match between Geelong and Hawthorn, played at the MCG, on Monday April 5.

In summary, he can accept a $1500 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Striking (Fixed Financial Sanction). The incident was classified as a $2500 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $1500 sanction with an early plea.

And Hartigan's ear clip didn't go unnoticed

Kyle Hartigan, Hawthorn, has been charged with Striking Tom Hawkins, Geelong, during the second quarter of the Round Three match between Geelong and Hawthorn, played at the MCG, on Monday April 5.

In summary, he can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Hartigan should have been a week, but I'm glad that it was at least cited. Did wonder if there was going to be any MRO action from that game

Not often I agree with Andy Maher, but he's spot on here.

Not disagreeing with the above, problem is that he's action is basically given as an example of "careless conduct" in the MRO guidelines, and if graded as intentional I have no doubt Hawthorn would contest that it was careless as it occurred "within play", even though everyone knows exactly what he was trying to do

Careless conduct

A Player’s conduct will be regarded as Careless where his conduct is not intentional, but constitutes a breach of the duty of care owed by the Player to all other Players. Each Player owes a duty of care to all other Players, Umpires and other persons (as applicable) not to engage in conduct which will constitute a Reportable Offence being committed against that other Player, Umpire or other person. In order to constitute such a breach of that duty of care, the conduct must be such that a reasonable Player would not regard it as prudent in all the circumstances. Further, a Player will be careless if they breach their duty to take reasonable care to avoid acts which can be reasonably foreseen to result in a Reportable Offence.

An example of careless conduct would be where a Player collides with another Player who has taken a mark and where contact occurs just after the mark has been taken. The offending Player has a duty of care to avoid any contact which would constitute a Reportable Offence by slowing his momentum as much as he reasonably can and a failure to do so constitutes carelessness.

That Tom Mitchell got done just shows how efdective O'Connor was. Shark should get a bonus for every MRO fine/suspension his target cops

It kinda also feels like Mitchell getting fined for that is because Neale didn't get picked up for any of his s**t the previous week

2 weeks of playing as a tagger and he's pissed off each opponent to the extent of then lashing out

Back