Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does anyone not see the Duck as a true north blood?
They are all corporates mate , yes there may be an opportunity but these guys are not exactly North true bloods, other than King.

Dal is a Saint, Barret is a money whore, Duck and JB are obsessed with appearing impartial so its not all gravy imho.

On Pixel 4a (5G) using BigFooty.com mobile app

For those of you not old enough to remember games at Victoria Park against the Scum and the dawn of our 1990's era with McAdam, Longmire and Carey, then this game is for you.

Swattas run down tackle on Sav in the dying game with game completely dusted. aideys bag, Laids owning the HBF. great game from Larkey in the trilight of his career, Carey and Horse showing what the next 10 years can expect. interesting observation with Jason McCartney playing for scum who would later become a NM hero.

Remember the game very well having listened to the radio broadcast from Bairnsdale while playing LVFL ressies for warragul in the days.

also when you actually look at that lineup, you've got 9 players who were drafted during the Laidley era (Firrito, Tarrant, Hansen, Thompson, Wright, Wells, Thomas, Goldstein, Swallow) 2 players who were still around from the Pagan era (Harvey and Petrie) and 3 high profile free agents (Higgins, Waite and Dal Santo) and one player who was traded for as an established footballer (Jacobs.) You've got 15 players who either fell into Brad's lap when he became coach or chose to come to the club already fully developed footballers. Can't really give him any credit for developing these guys.

Then when you look at the guys who were drafted after Brad became coach, it's honestly damning. There's Atley, a high draft pick who had been completely stagnant since probably his third season, Garner, a decently high pick who has never quite come on in the way he could have (largely out of his control), MacMillan, Gibson and Turner, rookie picks that played their role adequately, and you're left with Brown and Cunnington, the two players who it's fair to say lived up to their potential under Brad. That's a really ******* bad strikerate. Granted there are other significant guys who didn't play in this particular game like Jack Ziebell (drafted by Laidley, it must be noted) or Luke McDonald (only lived up to his potential once Brad was gone,) and the club was also unlucky that two extremely compromised drafts happened in the years they should've been building with young talent. Whatever reasons you want to point to, there's now a massive hole in the list because the system Brad built consistently failed to convert draft hands into players. We had first round picks spent on players like Brad McKenzie and Sam Durdin. Instead of taking risks on young guys with potential the club brought in seasoned talent like Farren Ray and Robin Nahas to take up spots on the list.

There's a reason there's a feeling of leaderlessness at North right now. Even the guy who's currently captain was drafted under Laidley. There's almost no senior players on the list because in the period where they should've been drafted, Brad's footy department went for older guys. The idea that Brad Scott doesn't bare the brunt of responsibility for the current state of the list is laughable.
Brad had a senior position at the club, but the idea that he was the only person responsible for the recruitment and development of players is absurd. There would be plenty of people on six figures at the club who are employed primarily to carry out these tasks. The reality is he has been gone for 2 years now and we are seeing the same issues with players stagnating as we have in the past.

Brad had a senior position at the club, but the idea that he was the only person responsible for the recruitment and development of players is absurd. There would be plenty of people on six figures at the club who are employed primarily to carry out these tasks. The reality is he has been gone for 2 years now and we are seeing the same issues with players stagnating as we have in the past.
He was the senior coach, he is ultimately responsible. Him and Joyce.

The lot of the senior coach is to accept the blame when things go bad on the football field. Absolutely. I just hope we're addressing the deeper issues at the club in this area that clearly exist.
If you could not see the poor recruitment, the non existent development of young players, opting for his own career than building back up, then I cant help ya. This is all Scott and Joyce. The board allowed them to do it but they would have pitched the board to do so. Its 90% their doing.

For those of you not old enough to remember games at Victoria Park against the Scum and the dawn of our 1990's era with McAdam, Longmire and Carey, then this game is for you.

Was at the game. Found $5 on the ground walking in. Knew I was in for a good day.
Mind you, I found $50 once walking into the SCG and we got beat.
So in reality, there’s no correlation between finding cash and winning...
But anyway, at Vic Park that day, there was def a vibe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the noticeable things there was how players instinctively knew when and how to shepherd. Just don’t see it these days.
But the game these days has evolved so much - the defensive chips and high possession game in order to slowly build an attack, often with a strategic withdrawal back into the defensive 50 a couple of times, along with at least two switches across the ground before a hack back to the centre has revolutionised the sport.

Those old dinosours from the 90s wouldn't stand a chance against a modern team.

Because they's be BORED into submission.

By the way - Adrian McAdam was absolutely brilliant to watch. What we wouldn't do to have a player like him in any era!!!!

Last edited:
I admire your last man standing loyalty but unfortunately yes.
Yes there is that, the greatest footballer to grace the planet.

I dont read anything in his commentry except optimism when it come to "US". Or calling out what needs to be said in a constrcutive way.
I think he is professionally impartial (unlike JB who is extremly overt), provides excellent football insight and stupidly tips us , when he shouldnt if he didnt want to lose his money.

Was at the game. Found $5 on the ground walking in. Knew I was in for a good day.
Mind you, I found $50 once walking into the SCG and we got beat.
So in reality, there’s no correlation between finding cash and winning...
But anyway, at Vic Park that day, there was def a vibe.
The difference between $5 at Vic Park and $50 in Sydney is really a metaphor for COLA. In Melbourne back then $5 would get you a decent coffee and a croissant. In Sydney, you might get the croissant but you wouldn't get a drinkable coffee even if you dumped the entire 50 into the tip jar.

I dont read anything in his commentry except optimism when it come to "US". Or calling out what needs to be said in a constrcutive way.
I think he is professionally impartial (unlike JB who is extremly overt), provides excellent football insight and stupidly tips us , when he shouldnt if he didnt want to lose his money.
As far as I can recall, he played for the Kangaroos.

Does that qualify him as a NORTH MELBOURNE man?

I've got a long memory mate and have tracked enough of his commentary (as in media and also his general expressed views) and he's not fussed about the club. He did a brief call to arms last year and even then stressed that he was never really passionate about the football club as an entity. In fairness he did show some support on that occasion though but it was the exception.

He holds some affection towards the playing group he was involved with and will turn up to club things when he's asked but don't imagine he'll be throwing money down for a paver or player sponsorship anytime soon.

Well it's been done before but involved state league sides and was many years ago from memory. We loaned Roger Podolczak or some such when we got Jim & Phil. English soccer do it still I believe. I can see the merit in it. Although if the player stars that would be interesting and could well lead to the player wanting a transfer at seasons end.

Imagine if we had Maj on loan instead of playing him for only 32 games out of a possible 110 during the 2013-2017 seasons. He probably wouldn't have come back to us.

Although there would have to be strict rules, so teams don't load up just before the finals. Probably could only involve players under a certain amount of games or first, second year footballers.
Interesting though.

There'd need to be some serious incentive to return to your previous team, player retention is a major factor for small market clubs like ours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back