List Mgmt. Adelaide Crows 2021 List Management thread

Will the Crows pick up any of these players in the off-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Bit on Fox Footy today about us re-signing Tex. Obviously his management want to get a deal done ASAP while he's in the form he is. Rumour man on 5AA said we'd told Tex we won't even start negotiating with him until after the bye round.

He doesn't want to leave, we want to keep him, so given his age I'd be telling him he can wait until the end of the year to re-sign so we can gauge just got much he has left in the tank. Also last thing you want is him doing a LTI late in the season when you've already given him a deal for 2022.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bit on Fox Footy today about us re-signing Tex. Obviously his management want to get a deal done ASAP while he's in the form he is. Rumour man on 5AA said we'd told Tex we won't even start negotiating with him until after the bye round.

He doesn't want to leave, we want to keep him, so given his age I'd be telling him he can wait until the end of the year to re-sign so we can gauge just got much he has left in the tank. Also last thing you want is him doing a LTI late in the season when you've already given him a deal for 2022.

I'd be inclined at this stage to go 1 year contracts with a 31 year old KPF

CroCop

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
With Murray apparently we led him to believe the previous year we were a good chance to rookie him but we didn't pull the trigger in the end and then this last draft we told him we weren't going to draft him but told him if he was prepared to come over and train with us there was a chance he'd get a rookie spot, in the end we went with him and not Ayce Taylor who was the the other player vying for the spot.
Is Ayce Taylor playing in our Sanfl team ? Those few games I saw him earlier in the year he had some good speed and agility / elasticity about him although he was raw . Perfect type to develop in the Sanfl.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Is Ayce Taylor playing in our Sanfl team ? Those few games I saw him earlier in the year he had some good speed and agility / elasticity about him although he was raw . Perfect type to develop in the Sanfl.
Nope probably heading back to the VFL, I can't remember what AFL unaligned VFL team he was signed with before we rookied him?

Troy87

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would it be worth making a play for Will Hayward and get him back to SA at seasons end? Seems to have fallen outside the Swans best 22.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Would it be worth making a play for Will Hayward and get him back to SA at seasons end? Seems to have fallen outside the Swans best 22.
Ehh, he hasn't ended up very good, really. Unless he comes cheap I don't really see the need, especially as he hasn't turned out a volume goalkicker

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
He’s not that good. This is year 4 and he has not improved much since year 1. Rather roll the dice on a random pick.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

What shits me is the way our players allow the agent to leak to the press to drive the public pressure. Rowie will be all over it and it'll just ratchet up. Just go back to 2016 and look at Thommo's first 6 rounds and then the rest of his year and then 2017. We all hope his improved movement is relatively permanent taking into account his age, but we've seen this before. That said, Thommo was older and had used his body as a battering ram in the second most physically combatative role in the game. So he could be an outlier, but 3 rounds in, I'm telling Tex's manager that he's the benchmark.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
There really aren't many obvious cuts this year, proactive or otherwise - and (aside from Stengle), all of the obvious outs are already on the rookie list.

We all know you have an addiction to PlayStation trading, but in the real world there really aren't many delist/trade/retire candidates in this year's group of uncontracted players. They're not getting rid of Lynch, Seed or Kelly, no matter how much you PlayStation their departures - though I could see Lynch being moved to the rookie list.

The other question is whether there are any contracted players we would want to cut, given that we do have the salary cap capacity to pay out contracts this year. Chayce Jones, maybe?
Nice to see we've gone straight to the boomer phrase of "PlayStation trade".

Why don't you just also scream out "man up!" and "kick it!" and "who's on number 26?" while eating your apricot slice, and you can cover all of the Beryl and Cecil supporter cliches at the same time.

BTW - I had us giving Kelly and Seedsman an extension, and giving Lynch a year contract to transition to the coaching staff.

Notably, you've ignored players like O'Connor, because you don't know any of the younger players.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
RE-SIGN
Taylor Walker
Darcy Fogarty
Fischer McAsey
Tom Doedee
Jake Kelly
Lachlan Gollant
Lachlan Murphy

Nick Murray (R)
James Borlase (Cat B)
Tariek Newchurch (Cat B)

TRADE, LET GO or DELIST
Daniel Talia (compensation - tier 5)
Matthew Crouch (compensation - tier 2)
Tom Lynch (rookie list)
Paul Seedsman (rookie list)
Ronin O'Connor
Tyson Stengle

Ben Davis (R)
Kieran Strachan (R)
David Mackay (R)

DRAFT PICKS
10, 18, 28, 35, Dudley and O'Laughlin?

Talia and Crouch are the tough ones. The rookie list move is a good idea - perhaps someone else goes there too? Hope that stays an option.

I probably should have allowed for at least one mid-year player, too. Maybe we look to move a Himmelburg or Jones on and upgrade a pick?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Nice to see we've gone straight to the boomer phrase of "PlayStation trade".

Why don't you just also scream out "man up!" and "kick it!" and "who's on number 26?" while eating your apricot slice, and you can cover all of the Beryl and Cecil supporter cliches at the same time.

BTW - I had us giving Kelly and Seedsman an extension, and giving Lynch a year contract to transition to the coaching staff.

Notably, you've ignored players like O'Connor, because you don't know any of the younger players.
I've discussed the younger players in previous posts. I think it's unlikely, but not impossible, that we'll chop one of our younger players. Having said that, I think it's Fogarty who is under pressure, after multiple years of failure on the list - not O'Connor, whose only year on the list was a 0 game COVID nightmare.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
TRADE, LET GO or DELIST
There is 0% chance of Talia going anywhere as a FA. No chance whatsoever. There is, however, I think, a 50/50 chance of him retiring at the end of the year.

I agree there's a reasonable chance of Mrouch taking up an FA offer, and I don't think the club would match. However, Mrouch hasn't made himself persona non grata the way his brother did, so I can't see the club pushing him out the way they did with Brouch.

RE-SIGN
Taylor Walker
Darcy Fogarty
Fischer McAsey
Tom Doedee
Jake Kelly
Lachlan Gollant
Lachlan Murphy

Nick Murray (R)
James Borlase (Cat B)
Tariek Newchurch (Cat B)

TRADE, LET GO or DELIST
Tom Lynch (rookie list)
Ronin O'Connor
Tyson Stengle

Ben Davis (R)
Kieran Strachan (R)
David Mackay (R)

DRAFT PICKS

Talia and Crouch are the tough ones. The rookie list move is a good idea - perhaps someone else goes there too? Hope that stays an option.

I probably should have allowed for at least one mid-year player, too. Maybe we look to move a Himmelburg or Jones on and upgrade a pick?

I don't think Crouch is a particularly tough call, to the point we've already should have made it by choosing to retain Laird. Especially with Keays coming on, the need for another hardened midfielder is pretty minimal at the moment (and if Sloane continues bouncing back, even less so).

I am genuinely not a fan of anyone putting Talia in the trade/let go/delist. If we can keep him, we should be keeping him.

Also * yeah, another person who is putting McAsey on the retain list instead of giving up months in advance because he didn't give the full Danger/Lever performance on draft night.

Finally, no thank you to the idea of moving both Lynch and Seedsman to the rookie list. One at most. I'm completely for offering a coaching gig/SANFL captaincy to Lynch though.

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
RE-SIGN
Taylor Walker
Darcy Fogarty
Fischer McAsey
Tom Doedee
Jake Kelly
Lachlan Gollant
Lachlan Murphy

Nick Murray (R)
James Borlase (Cat B)
Tariek Newchurch (Cat B)

TRADE, LET GO or DELIST
Tom Lynch (rookie list)
Ronin O'Connor
Tyson Stengle

Ben Davis (R)
Kieran Strachan (R)
David Mackay (R)

DRAFT PICKS

I suppose Gibbs drops off our list as well.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
No worries about getting Tex done at a reasonable and fair 1 year deal. He’s taken pay cuts before, he does what’s best for crows
We don't know he took a pay cut do we? Assuming you're referring to when we were trying to fit in Leaver, McNuggets, Charlie, ... he might have helped the club try yo achieve this by agreeing to renegotiate his contract to back end his deal.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I've discussed the younger players in previous posts. I think it's unlikely, but not impossible, that we'll chop one of our younger players. Having said that, I think it's Fogarty who is under pressure, after multiple years of failure on the list - not O'Connor, whose only year on the list was a 0 game COVID nightmare.
Perhaps.

Fogarty was a heralded junior and O'Connor was perhaps the third or fourth best mid in the WA junior team.

I don't see any pathway for O'Connor to be part of our best 22, while it's clear what Fogarty could do to get there (and what Fogarty has already shown spasmodically in the top grade).

We'll see. The club still saw both players all of last year, even though we didn't. They will probably need to cut bait on a young player or two, so it will be interesting who that is.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
There is 0% chance of Talia going anywhere as a FA. No chance whatsoever. There is, however, I think, a 50/50 chance of him retiring at the end of the year.

I agree there's a reasonable chance of Mrouch taking up an FA offer, and I don't think the club would match. However, Mrouch hasn't made himself persona non grata the way his brother did, so I can't see the club pushing him out the way they did with Brouch.
Zero chance an experienced Victorian footballer doesn't move home for his final contract?

That seems much better than zero chance to me.

Ben Rutten and Essendon have already been linked in the media with Talia. I think that's very possible.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
We don't know he took a pay cut do we? Assuming you're referring to when we were trying to fit in Leaver, McNuggets, Charlie, ... he might have helped the club try yo achieve this by agreeing to renegotiate his contract to back end his deal.
It was reported in the media. Whether it actually happened, who knows.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Zero chance an experienced Victorian footballer doesn't move home for his final contract?

That seems much better than zero chance to me.
No chance at all. Talia will retire a one-club player.
Ben Rutten and Essendon have already been linked in the media with Talia. I think that's very possible.
A rumour which was quickly debunked by Talia himself. No chance.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Perhaps.

Fogarty was a heralded junior and O'Connor was perhaps the third or fourth best mid in the WA junior team.

I don't see any pathway for O'Connor to be part of our best 22, while it's clear what Fogarty could do to get there (and what Fogarty has already shown spasmodically in the top grade).

We'll see. The club still saw both players all of last year, even though we didn't. They will probably need to cut bait on a young player or two, so it will be interesting who that is.
This is Fogarty's 4th season, and he's arguably never been further from the best 22 than he is today. They've given up on trying to turn him into a forward, now they're trying desperately to re-tool him as a midfielder... except that he lacks the fitness to play anything more than short bursts in the guts. There are very few positive signs for him having an ongoing AFL career right now, and a delisting would be surprising but not shocking.

O'Connor is effectively playing his 1st SANFL season, with 2020 having been wiped out due to COVID... and you're rushing to push him out the door already?

Fog may have been the higher draft pick, but that only gets you so far. He's well and truly into desperation stakes now, whereas O'Connor is barely getting started.

Back