Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Great 1st quarter today. Kicked some good goals with the breeze, so let's hope the tiges can't make the most of it. If their talls are nullified, doggies legspeed should be too much for them.

An entertaining afternoon was a fitting end to our season, we miss finals yes but our improvement over 2020 has been exceptional.

We dominated most but the third quarter but it was great to see us not give up when we easily could’ve.

Our ball movement has improved greatly this year, especially our transition from D50 to F50. The Hartwig smother that turned into that incredible McLeod goal was just about our best play for the year.

It’s so exciting that we won 5 games with pretty much the youngest team each week, it bodes extremely well for our future and I’m confident we can keep the list largely intact, why would anyone want to leave?

Lamb and Blackburn were outstanding and will surely get votes in the B&F and Coaches. If Blackburn polled last week in the coaches votes this would be 13 consecutive games of polling, but I guess we’ll find out next week.

I keep saying it but Brown continues to impress in defence and is without a doubt our most improved player in 2021.

Pritchard had been flying under the radar until today, 108 ranking points, 10 touches at 80%, 3 inside 50s and 3 frees for.

Newton played more midfield time today and looked at home. I think we’ve played her out of position (forward) for most of the season, so hopefully in 2022 she can get some more midfield minutes.

So we finish the season on the right side of the ledger at 5/4 and if we had just beaten either St. Kilda or North Melbourne we would be in the finals,

Once the round is complete I’ll post a comprehensive look at our season with advanced stats and data so keep an eye later in the week.

Now as always here are some of the rarer stats…

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
29 - Moody (29/3)
21 - Rennie (13/4)
5 - Toogood (1/0)
2 - Morris-Dalton (0/0)
1 - Newton (1/0)

Hitouts To Advantage

WB: 7
RIC: 7

First Possessions
WB: 24
RIC: 26

Clearances/Effective Clearances
WB: 21/19
RIC: 23/18

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 68%
RIC: 56%

Forward Half Contested Marks

WB: 1
RIC: 5

Score Launches
2 - Pritchard
1 - Ferres, Guest, Hartwig, Lamb, Lochland, Moody, Rennie, Toogood

Shots At Goal
WB: 14 (50%)

RIC: 7 (71%)

Targets Inside 50
7 - Toogood
4 - Huntington
2 - McLeod
1 - Georgostathis, Lagioia, Lochland, Morris-Dalton, Newton

Spoils (Efficiency)
WB: 11 (82%)
RIC: 21 (67%)

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 15
RIC: 15

Turnovers Punished By Goals
1 - Blackburn, Lochland

Pressure Gauge

WB: 212 (Elite)
RIC: 212 (Elite)

Champion Data Ranking Points/Supercoach Points
170 - Blackburn
169 - Lamb
130 - Lochland
127 - Brown
123 - Ferres
108 - Pritchard
96 - McLeod
91 - Georgostathis
90 - Newton
77 - Rennie
76 - Fitzgerald
76 - Toogood
68 - Guest
55 - Moody
54 - Lynch
49 - Gutknecht
47 - Morris-Dalton
40 - Huntington
35 - Hartwig
34 - Lagioia
19 - Gamble

Free Kick Summary
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 7.45.39 pm.png

Score Sources
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 7.45.50 pm.png

Good to see we can still play soild football and win without Huntington firing. I didn't get to see all of it but it looked like Richmond had a plan to spoil/double team her.

Congrats to the Dogs on their much improved 2021 season. I think their off-season list buys will be incredibly hard this season as the youngsters in the 2s are all doing very nicely and look to have promising futures.

As such it may be the mid 20 and older players under the most pressure h less the Dogs look to move a youngster to improve their draft position or to fill a need like a strong 4th/5th midfielder.

As for the draft the 4th or 5th best Victorian draftee will add to the list nicely. It looks like Georgia Campbell is being linked to the Dogs and Melbourne as a Father Daughter with a 2nd or 3rd round pick likely to present pretty good value if she chooses the Dogs.

Congrats to the Dogs on their much improved 2021 season. I think their off-season list buys will be incredibly hard this season as the youngsters in the 2s are all doing very nicely and look to have promising futures.

As such it may be the mid 20 and older players under the most pressure h less the Dogs look to move a youngster to improve their draft position or to fill a need like a strong 4th/5th midfielder.

As for the draft the 4th or 5th best Victorian draftee will add to the list nicely. It looks like Georgia Campbell is being linked to the Dogs and Melbourne as a Father Daughter with a 2nd or 3rd round pick likely to present pretty good value if she chooses the Dogs.
Yep. Seems like Lauren Spark could be in the gun. Dropped early season and we seemed to hold up okay without her, as Gamble and Brown took on the KPD roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Seems like Lauren Spark could be in the gun. Dropped early season and we seemed to hold up okay without her, as Gamble and Brown took on the KPD roles.

I think her height is still really important but it's hard to argue with moving her on since Gamble held down FB just fine and gives up just a cm to her.

I've said previously in this thread how I despise North Melbourne and today just confirmed that. The 2 Emma's - King and Kearney, spent the whole game whinging. It was Selwoodesque

Well King can doing her whinging from the stands next week once she is sighted for elbowing a Freo playing to the back of the head and misses a final.

So with the season done and dusted - what can we trade to Gold Coast or Geelong to get the first pick in the VIC pool at the draft?
Georgie Prespakis would look great in our midfield...

So with the season done and dusted - what can we trade to Gold Coast or Geelong to get the first pick in the VIC pool at the draft?
Georgie Prespakis would look great in our midfield...

I imagine we'll be trading most if not all of our 1st and 2nd round picks. We need depth not more teenagers, so unless we can get pick #1 I highly doubt we'll be seen early in the draft.

Sorry for the lateness but as promised here is a small summary of our season, stats wise...

Disposals

Incredibly no team had fewer disposals than us in 2021 averaging just 198 disposals per game but ranked 7th for disposals per goal.

Our kicking efficiency wasn’t too bad at 55% but we were still ranked 8th in that stat.

Stoppages

Clearance wise we were ranked 14th and for centre clearances we ranked 13th, yet we ranked 3rd for scores from clearances which shows just how impressive our intercept work was.

Scoring

107 shots, 43 goals, 35 kicked behinds, 29 no score, 7 rushed behinds

Goal Accuracy: 40% (Ranked 4th)

For scores from stoppages we ranked 3rd scoring 143 points with 23% of stoppage clearances resulting in scores.

For scores from turnovers we ranked 11th scoring 157 points with 10% of intercepts resulting in scores.

Of the original 8 teams only GWS was ranked lower for scores from turnovers so this is something we need to improve on in 2022 as the majority of scoring in the AFLW comes from turnovers.

We are also ranked 11th for scoring while inside 50 with only GWS, Gold Coast and Geelong below us so we really do need to improve our entries and pressure inside 50.

One positive was that we ranked 1st for D50 score launches which again shows just how impressive how defence was.

Score Launches
F50: 33% (Ranked 9th)
Midfield: 54% (Ranked 11th)
D50: 13% (Ranked 1st)

Defence

I thought our defence was our strongest line this year with the emergence of Brown as a defender and the addition of Katie Lynch.

Our spoiling efficiency was excellent with us ranked 2nd and we ranked 5th for intercept marks.

Pressure

Our pressure rating ebbed and flowed over the season but we finished ranked 6th for pressure applied.

Tackling wise we ranked 5th for total tackles but 9th for tackle efficiency which is something we need to work on.

Free Kicks

Our free kick summary was 150 for (ranked 10th) and 167 against (ranked 5th). Unfortunately we received the least amount of free kicks in our F50 and gave away the most of any team on our D50. Yes we might have gotten unlucky with some umpires but we did give away a lot of lazy free kicks.

Individual Efforts

Blackburn ranked 1st for inside 50s
Blackburn ranked 4th for metres gained
Blackburn ranked 5th for baulks
Brown ranked 5th for intercept contested marks
Huntington ranked 1st for contested marks
Huntington ranked 2nd for marks on lead
Huntington ranked 4th for total marks
Lamb ranked 5th for pressure acts

Champion Data Player Rankings

Below is a table showing who was the most improved players from 2020 based on Champion Data Ranking Points...
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 5.06.35 pm.png

Final Thoughts

Overall I thought it was a very impressive season, yes there were 3 weeks that we were well below par but it's understandable as we were consistently the youngest team of the round. Winning more games than losing is an outstanding effort for team that regularly had 8 teenagers.

Fitzgerald and Hartwig were the two standouts of the new draftees playing every game and looking very comfortable at AFLW level by R9. Pritchard was an excellent edition in the second half of the season with an outstanding game in R9 with 108 ranking points.

Blackburn and Lamb couldn't have been any more impressive in the midfield and let's hope we can get some depth in there in 2022. The move of Lochland to the wing was an excellent move as was moving Brown to defence where she has become one of the most improved players across the entire competition.

The future is certainly the brightest it's been since the 2018 GF, our list is largely settled and if we can add 1 or 2 experienced players we will be a very tough team to beat in 2022.

Sorry for the lateness but as promised here is a small summary of our season, stats wise...

Disposals

Incredibly no team had fewer disposals than us in 2021 averaging just 198 disposals per game but ranked 7th for disposals per goal.

Our kicking efficiency wasn’t too bad at 55% but we were still ranked 8th in that stat.

Stoppages

Clearance wise we were ranked 14th and for centre clearances we ranked 13th, yet we ranked 3rd for scores from clearances which shows just how impressive our intercept work was.

Scoring

107 shots, 43 goals, 35 kicked behinds, 29 no score, 7 rushed behinds

Goal Accuracy: 40% (Ranked 4th)

For scores from stoppages we ranked 3rd scoring 143 points with 23% of stoppage clearances resulting in scores.

For scores from turnovers we ranked 11th scoring 157 points with 10% of intercepts resulting in scores.

Of the original 8 teams only GWS was ranked lower for scores from turnovers so this is something we need to improve on in 2022 as the majority of scoring in the AFLW comes from turnovers.

We are also ranked 11th for scoring while inside 50 with only GWS, Gold Coast and Geelong below us so we really do need to improve our entries and pressure inside 50.

One positive was that we ranked 1st for D50 score launches which again shows just how impressive how defence was.

Score Launches
F50: 33% (Ranked 9th)
Midfield: 54% (Ranked 11th)
D50: 13% (Ranked 1st)

Defence

I thought our defence was our strongest line this year with the emergence of Brown as a defender and the addition of Katie Lynch.

Our spoiling efficiency was excellent with us ranked 2nd and we ranked 5th for intercept marks.

Pressure

Our pressure rating ebbed and flowed over the season but we finished ranked 6th for pressure applied.

Tackling wise we ranked 5th for total tackles but 9th for tackle efficiency which is something we need to work on.

Free Kicks

Our free kick summary was 150 for (ranked 10th) and 167 against (ranked 5th). Unfortunately we received the least amount of free kicks in our F50 and gave away the most of any team on our D50. Yes we might have gotten unlucky with some umpires but we did give away a lot of lazy free kicks.

Individual Efforts

Blackburn ranked 1st for inside 50s
Blackburn ranked 4th for metres gained
Blackburn ranked 5th for baulks
Brown ranked 5th for intercept contested marks
Huntington ranked 1st for contested marks
Huntington ranked 2nd for marks on lead
Huntington ranked 4th for total marks
Lamb ranked 5th for pressure acts

Champion Data Player Rankings

Below is a table showing who was the most improved players from 2020 based on Champion Data Ranking Points...
View attachment 1095536

Final Thoughts

Overall I thought it was a very impressive season, yes there were 3 weeks that we were well below par but it's understandable as we were consistently the youngest team of the round. Winning more games than losing is an outstanding effort for team that regularly had 8 teenagers.

Fitzgerald and Hartwig were the two standouts of the new draftees playing every game and looking very comfortable at AFLW level by R9. Pritchard was an excellent edition in the second half of the season with an outstanding game in R9 with 108 ranking points.

Blackburn and Lamb couldn't have been any more impressive in the midfield and let's hope we can get some depth in there in 2022. The move of Lochland to the wing was an excellent move as was moving Brown to defence where she has become one of the most improved players across the entire competition.

The future is certainly the brightest it's been since the 2018 GF, our list is largely settled and if we can add 1 or 2 experienced players we will be a very tough team to beat in 2022.
Yikes. Gabby Newton Dropped from averaging 122 ranking points to 69! Any insight into what caused such a massive drop O.G.?
Less CBA's? I would have thought if anything she would be getting more midfield time with McCarthey going to West Coast.

I imagine we'll be trading most if not all of our 1st and 2nd round picks. We need depth not more teenagers, so unless we can get pick #1 I highly doubt we'll be seen early in the draft.
It will definitely be an interesting off-season.

I agree that we need to get some maturity into the team but I think our depth is ok. The young girls seem to be pushing out the old as it is, so if we top up with some more seasoned bodies I think they definitely need to be top liners rather than fringe. Obviously a trade similar to Collingwood getting Bree Davey would be ideal if we were looking to trade out our first rounder. Interestingly there seem to be some murmurings that Olivia Purcell is unhappy at Geelong - although whether she would be back from her ACL in time to help out in 2022 is questionable.

I think what we desperately need is another big body through the midfield as we rely far too heavily on Lamb and Blackburn.
That is why I would love to somehow trade up to get Georgie Prespakis. I'm sure most clubs would love to do the same and it sounds like Carlton may be able to make it happen if Tayla Harris is on the way out as has also been rumoured.

As for our picks later in the draft, we have a potential father daughter in Georgie Campbell who is an athletic ruck/tall forward who sounds like a possible first rounder and can nominate either us or Melbourne.
It still seems unclear if Dojiok part of our NGV academy or not and there is also an indigenous girl named Thalia Meier from GWV who played for Country over the weekend (I know nothing else about her) who might be part of our academy too?

Yikes. Gabby Newton Dropped from averaging 122 ranking points to 69! Any insight into what caused such a massive drop O.G.?
Less CBA's? I would have thought if anything she would be getting more midfield time with McCarthey going to West Coast.

Yeah she played more on the wing and forward this season.

2020 Averages
CBA: 8
Disposals: 13
Tackles: 7

2021 Averages
CBA: 5
Disposals: 9
Tackles: 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back