Analysis Worst AFL contracts.

Instincts

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's a poor to average key defender
He has a 5 year deal on a good amount of coin

In what world is this not a very poor contract?
He isn't a 'poor to average' key defender, he's one of the better ones, his low contested defence loss rate alongside his high intercept possesion count proves this. His disposal effeciency can be worked on yes, but he also uses his pace to also play as an attacking half-back. He is very dynamic, granted not a gun at anything but can do almost everything at a good level.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hooker. Was vital in us getting most of the players back on board, was an All Australian calibre defender and a good key forward in his own right.

I'm not questioning his football ability and i have no insight to what he offers off field.
In my opinion though you were presented with a rare opportunity to start a rebuild through the draft and that's exactly what you needed at the time. You're doing it now but you've wasted 5 years in no mans land.

My club has made massive errors as well in not understanding where our list is at and that's why we are now in the position we are.

He is not getting paid what has been reported. Only if he hits certain targets.

McGovern is the one. Both in terms of what we traded (effectively pick 13) and in salary.

Also remember two clubs actually allowed Jack Watts to play for them. Two!
Jack Watts gets s**t because he was a number 1 draft pick. He was nowhere near the best player of his draft but he was a good player for most of his career.
He isn't a 'poor to average' key defender, he's one of the better ones, his low contested defence loss rate alongside his high intercept possesion count proves this. His disposal effeciency can be worked on yes, but he also uses his pace to also play as an attacking half-back. He is very dynamic, granted not a gun at anything but can do almost everything at a good level.
He's had 7 one-on-ones this season, hardly a huge sample size. Over his career he's lost around 24% of his one-on-ones, average numbers. 19th for average intercepts this season amongst defenders, 40th for intercept marks. As you've said yourself, he's a poor user of the ball.

Average player at best gets a 5 year deal. That is the definition of a poor contract.

I'm not questioning his football ability and i have no insight to what he offers off field.
In my opinion though you were presented with a rare opportunity to start a rebuild through the draft and that's exactly what you needed at the time. You're doing it now but you've wasted 5 years in no mans land.

My club has made massive errors as well in not understanding where our list is at and that's why we are now in the position we are.
I mean that was pretty obvious. You made a poor call, I told you as much, and why that is.

Hooker re-signing was very important for us. It was not a mistake. End of argument.

In terms of length? It's up there.

He really is. He's an okay stopper but his kicking is poor, which hurts his ability to rebound. Most defenders you describe rarely get more than 2 year deals, sometimes 3 years, but you're happy to tick off 5 years?
A mature defender lured to a north team that have a truckload of cap space and a young list? A player who cost them no draft picks?

I suspect North do that deal every day of the week.

Instincts

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jack Watts gets sh*t because he was a number 1 draft pick. He was nowhere near the best player of his draft but he was a good player for most of his career.

He's had 7 one-on-ones this season, hardly a huge sample size. Over his career he's lost around 24% of his one-on-ones, average numbers. 19th for average intercepts this season amongst defenders, 40th for intercept marks. As you've said yourself, he's a poor user of the ball.

Average player at best gets a 5 year deal. That is the definition of a poor contract.
Now you're just trying to re-word what I'm saying, I am going to say he is an average ball user, big difference between poor and average (I only said he could improve it). Secondly, do you seriously know how many defenders he beats in terms of intercepts being at 19th, he is above the likes of Hurn, Ridley and most defenders which by definition, is not average. He also being 33rd in intercept marks per game still pits him in the above average range. Btw Aidan Corr's contested defence rate last year around 15% I believe if you want a larger sample size.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A mature defender lured to a north team that have a truckload of cap space and a young list? A player who cost them no draft picks?

I suspect North do that deal every day of the week.
s**t, I would've been fine with the Dogs doing it considering where our KPD stocks are right now. The Corr contract is good for North

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wouldn't write Grundy off yet. BOG last week and should back it up this week. Hopefully these couple of soft kills will play him back into form. But I agree with the sentiment around him not being interested in premierships. If he was he would've taken unders like they do at Richmond instead of squeezing everything he could out of the club.

Hopefully just a lean period for him, he is great to watch when he is full flight.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did Ty Vickery get a mention?
2 years @ $500k and played 6 games (plus games for Box Hill!!)

Dunno what his contract is (speculated $350k x 2 years), but Jonno Patton going the same way. Played 6 games last year, finished 4 of them but has one more goal than Ty managed in his 6. Be surprised if we see him play again.

Sep 12, 2004
Vic
AFL Club
Essendon

You’re talking about a bloke that locked his door and refused to speak to club officials because he didn’t want to be traded.
Not sure Hooker was really considering other offers, but you don’t let these sorts of players go lightly.

Could definitely argue the length of his contract was overs, but don’t think he’s the sort of player that belongs in this thread.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Not the worst but I do think Carlton is massively overpaying Williams. I think in a couple of years they’ll be regretting it.
This the same guy that's averaging 20 touches, 12 contested possessions, 3 intercepts, 7 ground ball gets, 8 clearances, 4 tackles, 18 pressure acts, 1 goal assist, 3 score launches, 6 inside 50s and 350m gained per game this year?

Aside from the stats, he's versatile in any position, is a proven match winner, and provides an exciting energy to the Carlton line up. I reckon the $850k which he's cost the club, is worth it.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This the same guy that's averaging 20 touches, 12 contested possessions, 3 intercepts, 7 ground ball gets, 8 clearances, 4 tackles, 18 pressure acts, 1 goal assist, 3 score launches, 6 inside 50s and 350m gained per game this year?

Aside from the stats, he's versatile in any position, is a proven match winner, and provides an exciting energy to the Carlton line up. I reckon the $850k which he's cost the club, is worth it.
I see you skipped over his clangers and frees against stats. I imagine his disposal efficiency figure would be interesting as well. Oh and he’s already injured.

I see you skipped over his clangers and frees against stats. I imagine his disposal efficiency figure would be interesting as well. Oh and he’s already injured.

Using "frees against" as a metric by which to evaluate a contract might be the strangest thing I've seen on here.

As for average clangers, he's not even in the top 50 in the league.

Odd couple of stats you've chosen to highlight there.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Using "frees against" as a metric by which to evaluate a contract might be the strangest thing I've seen on here.

As for average clangers, he's not even in the top 50 in the league.

Odd couple of stats you've chosen to highlight there.
Conveniently skipping over his negatives isn’t a great argument for justifying an $850k a year contract either.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Hannebery while he played a physical role barely missed a game for 8 years with the Swans. Played 15 games in 2018 and his output dropped off and St Kilda took him on at 27 for a low trade price. He had 3 years left on his deal with the Swans and they signed him for 5, which was an odd move. Taking on the remainder of his Swans deal and hoping he gets his body right sure, but taking him on from age 28-32 after an injury affected year was... interesting.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Letting grundy off too lightly. At 33 he will still be paid 1m as a ruckman. You can accept a period of poor form for a $1m player if it's only a 3-4 year contract. The bar has to be higher when they're paid $1m a year into their mid 30s, they're effectively overpaying later for higher performance now which he isn't giving them.

May 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hannebery is the worst.

Josh Schache not far behind. Same with dom tyson.

Back