Player Watch #39 Mate Colina

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I'd share an update.

He's no guarantee to play AFL despite signing with us.

NBA is obviously an extreme longshot but he will also explore Euro League basketball before committing to AFL, it's by no means a done deal.

Basketball is still priority #1 for him, so we shouldn't be offloading players like CCJ just in case this falls through.
Bloody hell I hope the club know that

What was the point of signing him then? A fall back if he fails basketball. So we’re paying him to go to school and play basketball. Wow well that’s disappointing. Why publicise it? Why bother signing him in the first place? It’s not like if he signs for a euro team he can come back and play for us in the off season lol. Anyway guess we really should be looking for another ruck.

Wish him luck in Europe. Follow your dream and all that. 👍

What was the point of signing him then? A fall back if he fails basketball. So we’re paying him to go to school and play basketball. Wow well that’s disappointing. Why publicise it? Why bother signing him in the first place? It’s not like if he signs for a euro team he can come back and play for us in the off season lol. Anyway guess we really should be looking for another ruck.

Wish him luck in Europe. Follow your dream and all that. 👍
It's only a category B rookie, no harm in having him on the books it's not like he is going to play next year.

It's only a category B rookie, no harm in having him on the books it's not like he is going to play next year.

Cat B rookies still cost $ especially the highly sort ones. Soft cap already massively under pressure.

Well not much money and are always projects, you can't expect that in one year.

Any money is too much in this circumstance imo. Of course they are a project it’s why they are cat b. At least when you cat b an Irish athlete the afl are their number 1 priority. Once Soldo signed as a cat b the afl was his first priority. Colina signed on as a fall back option if failed at basketball. I would rather pay a bloke ( with our very limited resources now) who is 100% all in on trying to make it to the AFL.

Anyway good luck to the guy. I’m out.

Still worth the punt despite the chance he may never be seen in Tiger colours.

Plus could not have stomached it if Pies had signed him and he ended up playing

Any money is too much in this circumstance imo. Of course they are a project it’s why they are cat b. At least when you cat b an Irish athlete the afl are their number 1 priority. Once Soldo signed as a cat b the afl was his first priority. Colina signed on as a fall back option if failed at basketball. I would rather pay a bloke ( with our very limited resources now) who is 100% all in on trying to make it to the AFL.

Anyway good luck to the guy. I’m out.
Doubt he will be getting any money until he actually starts training with us. Signed on for next year not right now, by then he will know if he is about to play footy or basketball you'd think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many conferences been canceled now in states we could see him early next year
Hope so but he is there for College and dont think the basketball will get him far.

just come home mate for you safety and you can complete the college online ;)

Would be great to have him here for pre season

Is he the same height as Aaron sandilands? I think its a great investment regardless. Mind you shai bolton could probably beat him in the ruck.

Is he the same height as Aaron sandilands? I think its a great investment regardless. Mind you shai bolton could probably beat him in the ruck.
213cm > Sandi Cox 211cm

Hopefully hes no good at bball and ends up at the tiges would be worth putting the time into a bloke with his height and with the bball background doesnt hurt either having ivan maric teach him the proper way is also a darn good thing also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back