Preview Geelong v Melbourne Sun Apr 11 @ MCG 3:20 pm - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Cameron doesn’t play Jenkins or Fort have to come in.
Or maybe they’ll just find a way to fit in some more defenders.

5 magoo's last week means he's cooked.
Didn't Ryan Gardiner kicked 7 once in an actual vfl game not a scratch match?

Jenkins comes up against actual key defenders if he plays against Melbourne. Not local tradies. If we decide to play him as a third tall he could probably get off the chain but there are other strategic considerations there.

If we bring in Jenkins given the injuries... He has to play as a deep forward, he gets a lot of cheap goals out the back, as he knows how to play that role. And he can chop out in the ruck. But that's the only role he can play, that's if we don't have better options I mean. Its okay to have a player in Best 22 play that role, if we have enough players covering the rest of the ground. Its tactical that way for him, and us.

Is he still getting goals on the cheap?
Heck that's no good, l wouldn't play the guy then.

In : Close Menegola Fort Constable
Out : Higgins Evans Kolo Dalhaus

Atkins Blicavs Henderson
Stewart Henry Bews
Smith O'Connor Clark
Parfitt Stanley Duncan
Miers Hawkins Close
Fort Guthrie Selwood
Menegola Constable
Holmes Touhy
Kolo was good yesterday, if he wasn’t doing his job I highly doubt Henry would’ve been moved forward

Didn't Ryan Gardiner kicked 7 once in an actual vfl game not a scratch match?

Jenkins comes up against actual key defenders if he plays against Melbourne. Not local tradies. If we decide to play him as a third tall he could probably get off the chain but there are other strategic considerations there.
Agree Jenkins is just, but if all he does is draw Lever away from the Hawkins/May matchup then it is probably a win.

I thought they were all the same value?
Last week how many of the 5 were goose goals?
He must have some pace still there then if they were?
I can't tell you how many were Joe the goose but I can tell you exactly none of them were kicked while being defended by an afl level kpd. He hasn't in his career been a capable 1-1 forward against a similar sized kpd. At the crows he either got his goals at ground level or against a smaller 3rd defender. We have better options for ground level, and we are unlikely to play 3 talls structurally unless the 3rd is a viable ruck option.

I can't tell you how many were Joe the goose but I can tell you exactly none of them were kicked while being defended by an afl level kpd. He hasn't in his career been a capable 1-1 forward against a similar sized kpd. At the crows he either got his goals at ground level or against a smaller 3rd defender. We have better options for ground level, and we are unlikely to play 3 talls structurally unless the 3rd is a viable ruck option.
Tad harsh, he’s kicked a shitload of goals across his career. Like or hate him he’s one of the most underrated players of recent times statistic wise.

40 plus 5 years in a row.

Agree Jenkins is just, but if all he does is draw Lever away from the Hawkins/May matchup then it is probably a win.
Maybe but I think we can use Henry for the same purpose. I'd also rather leave 4 defenders on Hawkins in the one pocket and have the ball hit the deck in the opposite pocket for a Miers/Close/Menegola. At least when we're out of gas defending late in the 4th those guys will have some run and chase left

Maybe but I think we can use Henry for the same purpose. I'd also rather leave 4 defenders on Hawkins in the one pocket and have the ball hit the deck in the opposite pocket for a Miers/Close/Menegola. At least when we're out of gas defending late in the 4th those guys will have some run and chase left
I like it. (Henry forward)

Tad harsh, he’s kicked a shitload of goals across his career. Like or hate him he’s one of the most underrated players of recent times statistic wise.

40 plus 5 years in a row.
Look probably a tad harsh, more accurate to say he's been mostly beaten by top tier kpds. But it's also unfair to judge him as a 1st/2nd forward target when he has never been that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. Jacko proving to be a reasonable threat up forward on Monday surely pushes the prospect of Jenkins being recalled even further back down the list of options. And if the ball can get to ground (no easy feat against May and Lever right now), you would much prefer to have virtually any player on our list as the forward applying pressure rather than JJ. Particularly if we're talking someone like Close as the preferred option.

Jenkins is not our future. He's barely part of our present. And certainly wouldn't be a live option right now if we had good availability from our tall/forward stocks.

So it's a hard 'No' from me.

I saw the Dees vs Saints and thought they moved well.

May and Lever intercepted very well. Gawn really dominated.

Fairly quick and rebounded from D50 very well. Our forward pressure will need to be on the money.
100% need Close in that forward line. Even if he doesnt add a goal he could save 3 on the rebound

2 goals a game over 150 games bit hard to go that far?
Boy that's a biggy!

Who's our 2nd key forward at the moment?

Who's our 2nd key forward at the moment?

If we don't/can't bring in Jenkins, Cameron or Fort, then the 2nd "key forward" may be Miers or Tuohy if we don't play Henry forward

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Jenkins this week if Cameron isn't right to go, then keep Henry forward as Rohan is still unavailable - gives alternatives to Hawkins and the short people

I saw the Dees vs Saints and thought they moved well.

May and Lever intercepted very well. Gawn really dominated.

Fairly quick and rebounded from D50 very well. Our forward pressure will need to be on the money.

Their backline is very solid, we do need to bring someone in to help Hawkins, or May & Lever will have a field day. Gawn is certain to dominate in the ruck, will need another big effort from the mids.

I think our backline will do well on their forwards, if Bews goes to Kozzy, he has to do the job on him, he’s one that could get off the chain and kick a bag.

Darcy Fort at least he can help in ruck and we can have Stanley forward at times

He has only ever got goals on the cheap as a third tall. Who is our second tall to absorb May/Lever for him?
Look probably a tad harsh, more accurate to say he's been mostly beaten by top tier kpds. But it's also unfair to judge him as a 1st/2nd forward target when he has never been that.

Serious question - who were the 2 key forwards he was playing behind in Adelaide to be the third tall when he kicked 40+ for 5 years in a row?

I'll grant you Taylor Walker. But the only other 'talls' Adelaide had in the forward line were probably Lynch and Mitch McGovern. He's definitely more of a key forward than both of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back