Votes: 13 14.9%
  • He'll run out puff by the year's end

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • No way, jose'!

Votes: 24 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta say Kane Cornes is on the mark here with Tex ......players try and BS supporters and media with "I'm the fittest I've ever been " stuff

Tex for the last 3 years has talked of dropping weight ....I've never seen any visible evidence of these kg's he's supposed to have dropped ......this year though it's obvious, and you can tell his plan was to end his career on a high note

So why hadn't he done this 3-4 years ago ? ......it's a big question worth asking, not only of Tex, but also the Coaching Dept

Probably got a fair bit to do with COVID / Lockdowns / No Travel -

Players weren't able to go on holidays so knuckled down and kept training during the off season

Probably got a fair bit to do with COVID / Lockdowns / No Travel -

Players weren't able to go on holidays so knuckled down and kept training during the off season
Still think it was Tex actually wanting to go into retirement with a bang .....probably couldn't do it 2 years in a row

Gotta say Kane Cornes is on the mark here with Tex ......players try and BS supporters and media with "I'm the fittest I've ever been " stuff

Tex for the last 3 years has talked of dropping weight ....I've never seen any visible evidence of these kg's he's supposed to have dropped ......this year though it's obvious, and you can tell his plan was to end his career on a high note

So why hadn't he done this 3-4 years ago ? ......it's a big question worth asking, not only of Tex, but also the Coaching Dept

I think there is more to it then just dropping weight

In 5 games this year I haven't seen Tex fly one handed for the footy, what ever shoulder problems he has had have now been probable addressed and managed

With that said l, I agree that Tex looks leaner, more agile, without losing any power

He is also leaping effortless at the footy again

It's great to see him at full flight and there is no reason why he can't hold thus forming for couple of seasons

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think every footy fan wants to see someone kick 100 again. Would be an epic moment. Hopefully he gets there. Might even be in finals too as that seems to be more then possible now.

I've thought Tex was probably a bit embarrassed or was reminded that there is another level for him to go to personally, to get the most out of the rest of his career with all of the hype Charlie Dixon and Travis Boak got for taking the covid period pretty seriously and getting in the best shape or whatever at 30+

They probably had the motivation of hanging around for a shot at a premiership, we're not making finals anyway so what's the point... then sort of slapped in the face with the realization that the point is, if not, it's actually career over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've thought Tex was probably a bit embarrassed or was reminded that there is another level for him to go to personally, to get the most out of the rest of his career with all of the hype Charlie Dixon and Travis Boak got for taking the covid period pretty seriously and getting in the best shape or whatever at 30+

They probably had the motivation of hanging around for a shot at a premiership, we're not making finals anyway so what's the point... then sort of slapped in the face with the realization that the point is, if not, it's actually career over.
and we all know how fantastic Dixon is...

John Who, look what you've created :expressionless: :laughv1: :
--- statistical havoc
--- a throwback to Abbot & Costello
--- lots of Tex-love
--- and managed to irritate the usual grumblebums, as well.

Here's my 2c worth:
--- Tex to kick 100? Unlikely, but would be wonderful if he did. Remember when Sloane was on fire in early 2017? Oppo coaches tagged him to death and you can bet that Clarko, Dimma and others are working on ways to nullify Tex.
--- Tex for the Coleman? Yeah, maybe, we'll find out. Tex's challenge, maybe the biggest of his career, is to sustain his excellent start in the face of the challenges he will have as Coaches and backmen alike come at him.
--- Tex for AA/Brownlow? At this stage, he's a Monty for both (but see last comment)

Finally, what's on second? :sneaky:

Last edited:
John Who, look what you've created :expressionless: :laughv1: :
--- statistical havoc
--- a throwback to Abbot & Costello
--- lots of Tex-love
--- and managed to irritate the usual grumblebums, as well.

Here's my 2c worth:
--- Tex to kick 100? Unlikely, but would be wonderful if he did. Remember when Sloane was on fire in early 2017? Oppo coaches tagged him to death and you can bet that Clarko, Dimma and others are working on ways to nullify Tex.
--- Tex for the Coleman? Yeah, maybe, we'll find out. Tex's challenge, maybe the biggest of his career, is to sustain his excellent start in the face of the challenges he will face as Coaches and backmen alike come at him.
--- Tex for AA/Brownlow? At this stage, he's a Monty for both (but see last comment)

Finally, what's on second? :sneaky:

sloanes problem wasn't the intensity of the tag, his problem was the success of the tag. he couldn't beat it. he's not been an elite player since.

sloanes problem wasn't the intensity of the tag, his problem was the success of the tag. he couldn't beat it. he's not been an elite player since.
Yes, he was smothered often by the tags after Round 6 2017 which seemed to affect his spirit/energy. I remember him seeming to be dispirited by and resentful about taggers' attentions and after that he also had his appendix out. Last year, fractured thumb, but I'm sure there were other injuries 2018/19 where he was playing injured, or unfit (?).
From the last game's highlights, his in-and-under toughness and delivery to Tex's advantage (1.19, McAdam 3.55, 5.16) were vintage Sloane.
Both Sloane and Tex seem to be rejuvenated. Tex has prospered from some excellent delivery-to-advantage by Sloane, Keays, Schoenberg and others.

Apart from the obvious and delicious defeat of the pear by Geelong, a record 119 points. The 119 Wiki page has these little tidbits:
119 is a number to report youth at risk in France.
119 is the emergency number in Afghanistan that belongs to police and interior ministry.
119 is the South Korean emergency call number.
119 is the Chinese fire station call number.
119 is the NHS test and trace number in the UK.
119 is the default port for unencrypted NNTP connections.
Project 119 is a governmental program of the People's Republic of China targeting sports that China has not traditionally excelled in at the Summer Olympics, to maximize the number of medals won during the games.
119 is also the atomic number of the theoretical element ununennium.

I think my favourite is Project 119, followed closely by the Fire Station call number (Hi Kane).
It's also the club record for most goals in the home and away season kicked by Modra in 1993.........And didnt even win the coleman as Ablett kicked 124

This post really got me thinking. So I dug deeper and here are the key stats:
Games 2018 - 14
Games 2019 - 22
Games 2020 - 14

If we look at it from an injury perspective, then I think it can make a lot of sense. In 2018, he had recurrent foot troubles with plantar fasciitis and perhaps other niggles around the leg region.

In 2019, he played the entire season and finished with a respectable 43 goals. One would suspect his 2018 injuries had carried through to the 2019 preseason and likely to have hindered his training then.

In 2020, he only played 14 games, same as 2018. So we can guess he had some niggling recurrent injuries during this season as well.

In 2021, with a healthy preseason and a glowing preseason report, we’re finally seeing the “old Tex” that was in the sort of form as 2017. And the rule change this year was the cherry on top which suited his gamestyle better than previous years of congestion.

Back