Bluemour Melting Pot XXVIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jury is really out on SOS’s tenure & results from the selections & decisions made since the inaugural draft of 2015.

Is it Agresta or Austin though?

Agreed on #8 as massive overs for Saad.
In isolation, maybe it was.

But we also received pick 48, which we then on-traded to the Swans as part of the deal to secure a 2nd round pick to get Jack Carroll. If this kid goes on to play 200 games for the Blues, would we still see it as being massive overs?

We'd also committed to get Saad across, so there were few other options unless we were prepared to trade our future 1st.

This thread is insane. Has the start to the season been great? No. But it is a process. You do not go from worst team in the comp in 2015 to Premiers in 2021 if you want a sustained period of success. The Club was ripped apart from the ground up when Bolton came on. Some of the appointments have worked some have not. It is a continual period of growth and change. The goal (not communicated externally) was a flag by 2025. This is well on track.

I am lucky to have a number of contacts at the Club at Board level and through current and past players because of a company I am involved with. Feel free to dismiss this post. I don't care - I am not going to debate it with anyone. You can choose to see it as a load of crap or not. But I have decided for the first time in 5+ years of reading this thread from time to time to correct some of the information posted here and to hopefully give some hope to Blues fans that whilst the path is not easy, things are on track.

1. Murphy is being managed to 300 games because he had an excellent offer to leave the Club in 2015 and 2016, but we sold him on the value of being a 300 game blue. His tackling is massively impacted by shoulder issues - the kid has broken his body for the club. Think about culture. Do you think it is a good look to just discard someone who turned down a ton of cash to be loyal? How he has been treated by the Club has had a direct impact on recruiting both Jack Martin and Zac Williams. Was it smart to make that commitment in 2015/2016 - probably not. But if you want your club to have a soul...

Correct.

2. The Board were not sold on David Teague. At the time our favourite Pokie King offered to pay the cost of recruiting Clarkson. This was seen as Mick 2.0 and rejected. When the Club performed the players were very strong in wanting him to have the top job. The process they put together recommended Michael Voss (who many believe is the architect behind Port's rise). Teague was the compromise candidate between factions. There are currently no moves to replace Teague. He would have received more support with Assistants at the end of last year but COVID made paying out contracts impossible. Pokie King would only step up if we got Clarkson. That offer still stands - he will pay all payouts etc to get Clarko and his desired assistants. Is that likely? No. If we are not close to the 8 by round 18 watch the drums beat. Voss is also still a possibility but likely to be at GWS.

Correct ... Dale Amos was more favoured than Teague internally. Clarkson was also on our radar, but he really wasn't even in the picture.

3. Cripps is not going anywhere. He is playing injured. He loves the Club. There is zero repeat after me zero chance he goes back to WA

Not 100% True. Maybe not NOW, but certainly 2019 he was very affable to a move.

4. There is a rift between some of the younger players and the senior guys. Yes there is the feeling Teague has favourites. Some of the older guys also just cannot click with the younger ones. Simpson was a big part of this and why he did not play on. This happens at every club. Our development program is literally the worst in the league. The Club is currently spending $200k benchmarking this against other clubs programs and other sports. This will be the big focus of the offseason overhaul (as well as new assistants - assuming Teague keeps his head above water). It has created issues with some of the young guys who see what their friends at other clubs get in terms of one on one coaching, specific programs etc.

Correct, Teague is playing favourites. DC and MK have very little future with CFC, especially the latter Teague just doesn't rate him.

5. Teague is not the pussy he is portrayed as being. The screaming in Brisbane last year is a small fraction of what he is capable of. On Friday he broke a table in a massive rant at the playing group. Remember Teague as a player? Always put his body on the line. He is trying to instil that culture in the team but he is pushing hard up against 20 years of crap culture. For the record I am not a Teague apologist - I think he has serious short comings but I am not convinced he cannot take us to 17 yet. Young coaches take time.

Yet again the senior players had a bloody sook about it too.

6. The Club has been caught off guard by the speed of the game this year. We have moved away from speed in our drafting because the game became so stoppage focused. We will need to address this balance over the next year or two. This is a highly rated draft and expect at least 8 list changes. Very much a make or break year for a number of players. We will trade our 2022 pick to try and get another top 15 pick this year. As of December free agents we were into were Zach Merret, Christian Salem and Shaun Atley. Josh Kelly is also a possibility to leave GWS but not sure of our interest.

Cannot further add to this as I haven't heard.

Keep the faith baggers. The club knows what needs to change and is determined to get there.
Would be interesting to know which senior players had a sook. Out of those I’d consider senior players the only ones I could imagine having that type of reaction would be Murphy and Casboult. Might be wrong but would be surprised if Cripps, Doc, Jones or Curnow did 🤷🏻‍♂️

Look at the most respected ITKs.

barass, ericpascoe etc.

What do they have in common? They don't show off and big-note themselves. It adds to their credibility...

This is not the post of somebody who has been a member of the site for less than a month...

Correct, Barass posts, and then like that, he is gone
I give CC13 credit in letting us know what he has heard, but maybe just gave too many details.
Working in the media teaches you one thing, never reveal too much inside knowledge as it could burn/expose your source.
No source, no info, no story.
:)
No dice!

Sounds about right.

It wouldn’t want to be Murph given his glaring onfield deficiencies.

If he wants full respect as a Carlton person he acknowledges his deficiencies and makes way, which sets the tone to create a ‘team first’ playing culture.

What’s happening now re the 300 games is embarrassing and it shows a shocking culture of self-interest.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be interesting to know which senior players had a sook. Out of those I’d consider senior players the only ones I could imagine having that type of reaction would be Murphy and Casboult. Might be wrong but would be surprised if Cripps, Doc, Jones or Curnow did 🤷🏻‍♂️

So in other words you like Cripps, Doc, Jones, Curnow but dont like Murphy and Casboult.....

Jury is really out on SOS’s tenure & results from the selections & decisions made since the inaugural draft of 2015.

Is it Agresta or Austin though?

Agreed on #8 as massive overs for Saad.

Pick 8 for saad is by no means overs! A proven jet with line breaking as his strength is what we have been crying out for.

Who would you have taken with pick 8?

Not to re-hash a tired old argument, but a lot of people (myself being one) couldn't understand why we would give the 'stains a leg-up by giving them pick 8 when we could have just got Saad to nominate for the draft and taken him with pick 8 ourselves. No-one was going to use any of picks 1 - 7 to take him before us.

Therefore we could have got him for the same "cost" but the 'stains would have got nothing. Instead, they got an extra top 10 draft pick.

Cause being seen to be absolute pricks at the trade table would be a great way to encourage other clubs to do the same to us?

And not your regulation Dodo or SOS type prick, but the kind of prick who rejects an acceptable trade only to give up the same asking price in the draft purely to deny it to the club who is losing the player.

Imagine if that became "acceptable" practice across the comp?

Furthermore, as much as it would deny Essendon Pick 8, it would effectively move every other club's pick up one spot, thereby helping 16 other sides...

If he wants full respect as a Carlton person he acknowledges his deficiencies and makes way, which sets the tone to create a ‘team first’ playing culture.

What’s happening now re the 300 games is embarrassing and it shows a shocking culture of self-interest.

It's ironic to think how we all regarded Shaun Grigg compared to Murphy ten years ago

Once again - Murph has had 42 possessions this year - 19 of these have resulted directly in a score. This is rated as "elite" in The AFL.

Are you saying what I think you're saying?

It depends on what you think it is that I'm saying, I was making an observation.
Poster is 3 weeks old on BF, knows of someone who hasn't posted literally in years, just stood out to me, that's all.

Once again - Murph has had 42 possessions this year - 19 of these have resulted directly in a score. This is rated as "elite" in The AFL.
Being ranked equal 78th in the league for average score involvements per game is not elite. % SI per possession is not a stat that gets ranked. It is a result of him not getting that much of the ball anymore especially under pressure.

Can anyone point me to the last actual rumour in here?

All I see is pages of discussion of SOS and list management.

Thanks

Can anyone point me to the last actual rumour in here?

All I see is pages of discussion of SOS and list management.

Thanks

there was actually some discussion regarding rumours in this thread last night but it's all gone now....you have to be quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back