Remove this Banner Ad

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeo wont be playing till the bye.

He has been running a boundary all pre-season and hasn't done anything that intense since he was injured last year.

He will need do a mini pre-season for 7-8 weeks to build up that fitness needed to have a strong second half.

It really depends. We know he has been limited in his change-of-direction training/running - but if he has been able to do a lot of straight line running at pace (and potentially some repeat sprints etc) then fitness may not be as big an issue.

Of course as he gets back into full training he will have to listen to his body and judge any symptoms etc (it is pretty different to what he has done for close to 12 months). But provided he can continue symptom free I doubt he is that far behind fitness wise that he needs 7-8 weeks.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Criminally underrated outside of WA until his 2018 GF heroics.

True, but he is also competing for the most stacked position in the AA team.

Most years (except 16/17/19) he's averaged under 25 possessions a game. I know the value of his possessions are higher than a cheap handball 1-2, but at least partially he will always be competing with the guys getting 35-40+ and/or guys like Martin getting 25 plus a goal a game.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Most years (except 16/17/19) he's averaged under 25 possessions a game. I know the value of his possessions are higher than a cheap handball 1-2, but at least partially he will always be competing with the guys getting 35-40+ and/or guys like Martin getting 25 plus a goal a game.

2018 was particularly good for him with scoreboard impact as well, wasn't it? The hindsight heroes would've put him in the AA team if they knew about the GF performance ahead of time. It's embarrassing that's the only time they really noticed him, when they were forced to watch him in the games greatest spectacle against a big Vic club.

I may be thinking of another player but I think it was Shuey who Robbo apologized for not having in his top 50 players after that performance.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
772DCB94-FAC3-49E0-8ABD-3258634DCD1C.jpeg

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
2018 was particularly good for him with scoreboard impact as well, wasn't it? The hindsight heroes would've put him in the AA team if they knew about the GF performance ahead of time. It's embarrassing that's the only time they really noticed him, when they were forced to watch him in the games greatest spectacle against a big Vic club.

I may be thinking of another player but I think it was Shuey who Robbo apologized for not having in his top 50 players after that performance.

2015 - averaged just under 24 possessions and a goal a game
2017 - averaged 26 disposals (only 1 game where he was below 20), and half a goal a game

2018 he averaged just below 25 disposals (if his 3 disposal game when he got injured is removed). Only played 17 games though (and kicked 5 goals) in the regular season so that would have hurt his chances. Of course his finals series (especially GF) was elite.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

Martin also gives off one or two a game he could easily have taken himself.

Biggest thing i like about that guy is how he targets a young bloke or a team mate who hasnt had much of the ball and gets their tail up. For a guy who presents as not having a lot between the ears his footy IQ AND EQ are off the charts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast Eagles captain Luke Shuey faces an extended period on the sidelines after this morning having surgery on a damaged left hamstring tendon.

etter than him coming back every few weeks and pinging it.
My initial thoughts tbh.

Get him cherry ripe and lets expose Trew to some top flight footy and XON to some more.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Do you think he should have had it during off season but they decided to see if he could avoid it? The incident on Saturday didn't imply that he did significant damage in that game.

Who will play their next game for WCE first?

A) Elliot Yeo
B) Luke Shuey
C) Willie Rioli

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Who will play their next game for WCE first?

A) Elliot Yeo
B) Luke Shuey
C) Willie Rioli

At this rate?

D) Brayden Ainsworth

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Do you think he should have had it during off season but they decided to see if he could avoid it? The incident on Saturday didn't imply that he did significant damage in that game.

Matty Lloyd was asking Simmo whether it was muscle or tendon on that Ch9 footy show they do. Simmo was a bit cagey but said it was the same area as where he hurt it in training.

That bit doesn't make much sense as they talk about muscle strain being a 3-weeker and longer if it's tendon. If it was initially tendon, wtf was he doing lining up 22 days after hurting it.

I still believe if we beat the Bulldogs we would've kept him on ice. Port became a must win, but the ramifications of that win are now long lasting.

Bring on the kids, time to go too far the other way!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back