Preview Round 4, 2021: Fremantle v Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a key difference is Howe can play defense where Maginness can play forward but you could be on to something.

Agree, Howe can swing back and defend. FWIW I like Dan Howe, I reckon his strengths outweigh his weaknesses, and he is a team man through and through. Unfortunately for him it looks like he may have hit his ceiling in terms of improvement. Maginess showed rapid improvement in his final TAC year to show some impressive traits as a midfielder who could kick goals. Seems to be ready physically but behind in some KPI's the cub has set until he cracks it as a regular e.g versatility/reading patterns etc

I get this feeling that Maginess may be the heir apparent to Howe's position. Has him comfortably covered for speed and most land likeley endurance. Pretty sure Finn is at least 189 cm as well, possibly taller. Looks like they are grooming him to be a little more versatile as a mid which I like but not quite ready to go at AFL level
I have no problem with us brining him along slowly. I'd much rather that he makes his debut with him being ready and having stay there rather than in and out of the team every other week. A recent example of bringing a player in when they're ready Hawthorn-wise is Sicily. Players that have served a decent length apprenticeship that have hit the ground running this season are Sam Wicks and Chad Warner from the Swans.

Howe is important to us in that he interrupts opposition movement and wins hard balls in the air and on the ground. When he wins the ball he should be instructed to wheel and go and kick 50 forward. If players want him to do risky 50m switch kicks they have a responsibility to win the ball knowing it is not his strength.
Interviewer to Tony Lockett - You always seemed to lead to the right spot!
Tony Lockett - No, I knew where the guy with the ball would kick it!

If in 2021 a professional footballer does not know how his teammates kicks the ball, then they are not doing their job.

I'd go Cegs out and TOB in. If Burgers wants a rest, Cousins or Downie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but it should happen.

Greaves in for Burgoyne

Cousins for Howe.

Nash for Ceglar. Nash has earned a recall by the sounds of it.
Howe was more than handy this week but i agree with the other two selections whats more likely is cuz for worps

Howe was more than handy this week but i agree with the other two selections whats more likely is cuz for worps
Is Nash for Worps a possibility? Would spice things up a bit.

I almost feel like its worth throwing in the speedy option at every opportunity this year and just see what happens.

*I should note that I’m all for maintaining some experience and structure across every line rather than just throwing all the kids in at once...

Is Nash for Worps a possibility? Would spice things up a bit.

I almost feel like its worth throwing in the speedy option at every opportunity this year and just see what happens.

*I should note that I’m all for maintaining some experience and structure across every line rather than just throwing all the kids in at once...
Naah nash comes in for someone in the forward line. Possibly Kosi or even Moore. I don't know to be honest

We have all seen CJ take a huge step up maybe Nash is finally ready to do the same. Sounds like he is putting in a huge amount of work and finding consistency, his pace and height is a huge POD
I've always liked the idea of Nash forward. Plays like a tall but can compete in the air because of his height. However, I think he can only really be beneficial if we have multiple talls up forward which would stretch the oppositions defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back