AFLW AFLW Season 5, Mega thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This from Krock, which kinda answers a question from yesterday about player availability in the VFLW after delistings

It is understood the popular Boyd has been given the option to remain with the Cats’ VFLW squad, where she been a key player in their 3-2 start to the season.

This from Krock, which kinda answers a question from yesterday about player availability in the VFLW after delistings

It is understood the popular Boyd has been given the option to remain with the Cats’ VFLW squad, where she been a key player in their 3-2 start to the season.

Good result I reckon, I was on record as hoping for that outcome regarding Boyd - her VFLW form has generally been solid in seasons gone by (and by the sound of things she is carrying that form over to this VFLW season too), and, same as someone like Bec Goring, it just looks to be the right level for her.

Garner good enough to get a game at VFLW level too I reckon; played every game after debuting this year as a mature-ager, she had a couple of games where she was nice and strong over the ball in the contest, however she dropped off significantly during the last couple of games and it was obvious that developing/fringe players like Remmos and Maguire were able to provide more.

Bad luck Mia Skinner, onwards and upwards in whatever she does next hopefully.

So that's 4 2021 departures including Aasta O'Connor.

Not sure how many more there will be, if I was pulling the reins then one of Cranston or McWilliams would be pretty nervous right about now, and I'd be encouraging Bec Goring to focus on the music career.

I'd also be willing to trade Danielle Higgins, Bec Garing and Georgie Rankin, but for various reasons I suspect all 3 will be with the club next year.

I think at least one more player will move on from the list though; that'd be 5, maaaybe 6 list changes overall

Kate Darby presumably to come back next year for starters - and she will bolster a key area of need, too.

Wonder if Garner will return to Casey - she's Melbourne based, and having applied to join the police academy, if she's wanting to continue playing say VFLW it may make more sense to find a Melbourne based team. I'd be happy for her to continue with our VFLW side, but that's a decent commitment in terms of the commute for training & games etc

One thing we have to remember with Darby is that if she returns next season she's taking one of the now available spots - her unavailability opened up as spot for this season, so say we're looking at bringing in 5 new players (trades, FA, cdraft) and Darby is also returning, we'll need 6 spots

I don't think today's announcement will be the last of the list changes - this was from an article regarding O'Connor's retirement, and got me thinking that maybe similar conversations had been had with other players and if we may see further retirement announcements, others who may look at continuing their careers elsewhere, while some may try to fight to keep a spot on the list

"It was hard at the start. I sat down with the club a month ago, and we had a pretty honest conversation with where my footy was at," O'Connor told the Cutting Oranges podcast with Darcy Vescio.

"I really battled my body this year. It was good to me last year, but this year I really struggled.

"Even so, I left that meeting thinking, 'You could fight it, you could fight harder, you could train differently'. You're trying to come up with solutions in your head to keep playing, because I love footy. It's what I've always done, I've always played football on the weekends.

"And I'm competitive, so how could I let that go? You can't just quit. So I'm going through all these different emotions, but over time you realise – and I rang a few good friends of mine, who were really honest with me as well – and having those close friends and mentors who said maybe it's time.

One thing we have to remember with Darby is that if she returns next season she's taken one of the now available spots - her unavailability opened up as spot for this season, so say we're looking at bringing in 5 new players (trades, FA, craft) and Darby is also returning, we'll need 6 spots

I swear I tried to write out words to this effect for a good 10 minutes, just could not get the phrasing right and abandoned it haha :drunk::$

Wonder if Garner will return to Casey - she's Melbourne based, and having applied to join the police academy, if she's wanting to continue playing say VFLW it may make more sense to find a Melbourne based team. I'd be happy for her to continue with our VFLW side, but that's a decent commitment in terms of the commute for training & games etc

Looks like she's joined the Hawks going by this...

Cool, good luck to her and I do think it makes more sense for her situation

Plus, we can focus on getting games into our senior listed youngsters

My predictions:

3rd - Webster
2nd - McDonald. M
1st - McDonald. A

Hard to argue. Liv Barber for best 1st year player too for mine, closely followed by Laura Gardiner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More on the fan MVP win:

McDonald was the clear winner, with four 5-vote performances among her 32 votes. She featured in the top-five votes in eight out of nine rounds.

There was a three-way tie for second, with captain Meg McDonald, Olivia Purcell and Julia Crockett-Grills all receiving 17 votes.

Emerging midfielder Becky Webster finished fifth with 14 votes.

She streeted them in the end.

GEELONG AFLW BEST & FAIREST

1st Amy McDonald (71 votes)
2nd Meghan McDonald (36 votes)
3rd Becky Webster (34 votes)
Eq.4th Renee Garing (25 votes)
Eq.4th Olivia Purcell (25 votes)

She streeted them in the end.

GEELONG AFLW BEST & FAIREST

1st Amy McDonald (71 votes)
2nd Meghan McDonald (36 votes)
3rd Becky Webster (34 votes)
Eq.4th Renee Garing (25 votes)
Eq.4th Olivia Purcell (25 votes)
Says a lot that Purcell who played 4.5 matches finished 4th in the votes

Interesting to look at the leader board and see Crockett-Grills finish on 12 votes, the same number of votes she was on after 3 rounds, especially as she was the Fan MVP from our round 9 clash

Honestly thought she would have polled a bit better across the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back