Toast Gryan Miers - 50 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Taken with pick #57, our last selection in the 2017 draft, and with barely a peep heard about the kid during his first year on the list, he then seemingly came from no where to make his debut at the MCG in our 2019 round 1 clash versus Collingwood, a game we won by 7 points

This weekend he'll return to the famous ground for game #50 - congrats to the youngster

Taken with pick #57, our last selection in the 2017 draft, with barely a peep heard about the kid during his first year on the list, he then seemingly came from no where to make his debut at the MCG in our 2019 round 1 clash versus Collingwood in a game we won by 7 points

This weekend he'll return to the famous ground for game #50 - congrats to the youngster

Don't want to jinx it but damn he's been durable!

Seems like only yesterday he debuted. They grow up so fast 😢

Can we reward him and keep him inside our 50?

That crumbing goal was superb last week. I’d like to see more of that, but it’s a bit hard when he’s down in the defensive 50.
If wasn’t for his endurance he would be down there at Hawkins feet week in week out

I agree he needs to stay there his kicking isn’t much use elsewhere on the ground and I doubt he will be a midfielder

If wasn’t for his endurance he would be down there at Hawkins feet week in week out

I agree he needs to stay there his kicking isn’t much use elsewhere on the ground and I doubt he will be a midfielder
His endurance is an asset to him as a forward; it allows him to run his defensive opponent off his feet and out of position, a la SJ and Stokes, leaving him free when the ball comes forward quickly.

I was hyped to get him during the draft and been impressed by his career thus far.
SO GOOD to have a genuine small forward and not shoe-horning a surplus midfielder into the role instead.
Might not be a coincidence his arrival has coincided with Hawkins Renaissance.

Gryan has done one really well to get to 50 games. If he was settled as a small forward, you could see him kicking on solidly from here without too much fuss.

As it is, with him covering so much of the ground, he really needs to work on his hardness around the ball and hitting better options with his disposal. Shirks a few key contests at times and is becoming a little too easy for the opposition to pick off up the field when he marks the ball or wins a free.

Still, there's reasons why he got all the way to the fourth round of the draft. So here's hoping he can keep leveraging his strengths and working on the shortcomings in his game. After all, he's shown he belongs at the level so the rest of his development is really up to him.

IWWT.

What I'd love to see from the kid is a little more confidence. He seems to get really down on himself when he mucks up and then goes missing for large portions. Just human, but he's capable of things that other players are not, so we need him in tip top shape mentally if we're going to go all the way. He's not on the Menzel level (marking isn't great), but he's in a similar category. I love his ability to pop up out of nowhere and sneak goals, and his defensive work keeps getting better and better.

Correct- we cant have it both ways.

Chook gets obliterated for no tank ( rightly so) and Miers has a great one, uses it to get up the ground and support, and gets canned for it.

its one or the other but not both - and ill take him running all game long.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct- we cant have it both ways.

Chook gets obliterated for no tank ( rightly so) and Miers has a great one, uses it to get up the ground and support, and gets canned for it.

its one or the other but not both - and ill take him running all game long.

GO Catters

He should stay near goal. The one quality I'd say he definitely has is goal sense. Can't use that off the half back line.

He needs to grow a heart at some point too.

I was hyped to get him during the draft and been impressed by his career thus far.
SO GOOD to have a genuine small forward and not shoe-horning a surplus midfielder into the role instead.

Yep, now we're trying to shoehorn a genuine small forward into a midfield role instead.

He should stay near goal. The one quality I'd say he definitely has is goal sense. Can't use that off the half back line.

Couldn't agree more, seems to be a trend developing here, kicks a great goal from the pocket early on, then spends most of the remainder of the match everywhere but near the goals.

If you are a player whose only weapon is goal sense you simply have to kick that goal in the last. Woeful effort.

Wasn't great admittedly...but Stanley's miss from 25 out was worse..killed any momentum we had..exacerbated by Melbourne immediately transitioning and converting to finish us off...

Horrendous effort from a senior player...

Wasn't great admittedly...but Stanley's miss from 25 out was worse..killed any momentum we had..exacerbated by Melbourne immediately transitioning and converting to finish us off...

Horrendous effort from a senior player...
I don’t disagree about Stanley. It’s one of those things that expectations coloured my reaction. I fully expected Stanley to miss but Miers to kick it.

Yeah I bumped an old thread, but watching Miers this year it seemed a fun thread to have a re-read of, especially as he approaches game #100 which is potentially just a fortnight away

After 50 games he looked like a goal sneak small forward with a unique kicking style

Just a short couple of years later and his developed into so much more - his goal kicking has dropped off a little, but he's doubled his average goal assists per game

You then add in that so far this year he's increased his tackle average from 2 to 2.7, his inside 50s from 2.6 to 4.3 and his clearance numbers have jumped from 0.4 last year to 2.0 this year - no wonder the club is pumping him up for AA squad & team selection, and there's a strong line of thinking that he's going to be close to leading our B&F count as one of our most consistent players this season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back