Autopsy Rd 3 Insipid Loss to Carlton (Be Civil)

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
By thinking rationally, I really don’t see it like that. Why do we play Mundy? He’s just as unlikely to be there when we are contending. But the support, especially physical support, allows the emerging midfielders to actually be competitive. They can learn all the lessons dished out to them last weekend but also have a big body (such as Blakely or Duman, or Conca) standing alongside them, taking some of the hits.

And sure our forward line was hung out to dry, but if you are playing a physically underdeveloped player like Henry for development, putting him in that kind of situation verges on irresponsible. Regardless it is the job of our coaches to develop strategies to mitigate team inadequacies. If you put a team of small forwards on the park you need to play to their advantage, and we simply did not. We kicked it to Darcy who was no match for a bog ordinary, but much more mobile KPD who did whatever he liked.
Agree with the first but question the last ( I don't think you are entirely blaming the coach but it reads this way somewhat)
What if the plan was to go in small , work the ball forward but the Carlton pressure forced the players to panic and revert back to the 2016-18 Dockers and kick it up the line to a losing contest .
This is part of development.
It's not entirely the coaches fault
JLo now needs to use that failure as an educational tool to show the young ones what happens when you react to pressure .

If this becomes a common problem then you can say it is a coach failure But
I think we've seen enough positives in 2020 to say it isn't JLos intent

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
I think that Tabs has copped a few knocks about the place, but with due respect, when he and Lobb werre playing together,he was good.Very high in the contested marks catergory.Since Lobbs run of injury,Tabs game has gone backawards.Maybe Treacy can assist with the return to form.I see where Lobb is only a week or so away.So maybe, just maybe, the return to form of Tabs could be around the corner.
I know a lot of maybes and if... but who knows.

Purple Madness

Senior List
Mar 12, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Please explain.
In a nutshell.
Coaching- all areas.
The board.
Ruckman as our forward coach 🤦🤷
Forward delivery over past 26 years - see above.
Player management and development.
Recruitment and trade.
Player psychology - evidence in away games.
Injury management/prevention
Media offensive... IE not calling out certain journos and organisations.

Just to name a few

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
In a nutshell.
Coaching- all areas.
The board.
Recruitment and trade.

Just to name a few
Sooo we start all over again.We could go into how we were started, but that would only lead to heartache.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
In a nutshell.
Coaching- all areas.
The board.
Recruitment and trade.

Just to name a few

Pretty sure David Hale was as much a full forward as a ruckman, especially at Nth Melbourne. I recall one time he kicked 5 on Luke McPharlin in pretty dour low scoring game.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Richmond turned it around about that quickly. So did Collingwood. Prior to that so did West Coast. I was at derby 1 in 2015 and if you’d told me West Coast would make the granny I’d have laughed in your face.

There’s no reason we can’t IF we can get something close to our best 22 fit and firing more the majority of a season.
Here's one blast from the past that I always think about when it comes to turning things around. In Round 13 2011 we got smashed by Melbourne by 15 goals. Dean Bailey was their coach and Melbourne were ordinary. Unfortunately we were rubbish in the second half of that year.

Come 8 home and away games later we were beating Geelong (hot off a flag) to begin a run of 4 seasons in the top eight.

It can turn fast.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Didn’t Nyhuis kick 5 on Robbie Tarrant once?

4 wasn't it. But Hale was no mug as a forward, and there was a period where he played just a forward at Nth Melb. This suggestion that he's got no idea about how to play as a forward because he also played in the ruck isn't much of an argument.

Coaches coach other areas from where they played as players. JLo was the defensive coach at Collingwood.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty sure David Hale was as much a full forward as a ruckman, especially at Nth Melbourne. I recall one time he kicked 5 on Luke McPharlin in pretty dour low scoring game.

JLo has been lauded for his defensive coaching too but he never went close to playing in defence in his career.

Edit: you already covered it.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
4 wasn't it. But Hale was no mug as a forward, and there was a period where he played just a forward at Nth Melb. This suggestion that he's got no idea about how to play as a forward because he also played in the ruck.

Coaches coach other areas. JLo was the defensive coach at Collingwood.
Yeah fair call I just thought of Nyhuis and it made me laugh.
It’s going to take a collective effort from our coaching group to address the deficiencies getting the ball forward effectively. I really liked Lecras as a forward craft coach before the covid enforced limits on spending. I think he and Hale could have worked well in tandem with our smaller and talls respectively.

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I cannot believe in the 21st century that people still have their head in the sand regarding sexual harassment. It does not matter if what was said was "intended" as a "joke". There is absolutely not excuse for one employee to make a comment about another employee's body. No. Excuse. At. All.

That a payout was made is enough of an admission for me.
Do you know there was a payout or just guessing like every other person (and media outlet) with an opinion masqueraded as fact?

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do you know there was a payout or just guessing like every other person (and media outlet) with an opinion masqueraded as fact?
I think it was The Age that had the AFL saying something like they didn't make the payment, it was a workers compensation payment made by Fremantle. Fremantle then refused to provide details of the payment because of the confidentiality clauses in the agreement between the club and employee.

So the AFL admitted a payment was made but the details of the payment have never been made public.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
We'll agree to disagree about the mids I think...
Mundy is a different kettle of fish because 1. He's actually good. 2.He's probably as much an on-field coach as he is a good footballer and as such can impart wisdom on the fly.

Forward line got hung out to dry because midfield got smashed. Midfield gets beaten = crap delivery to forward line, we could have had Gary Ablett Snr down there trying to sit on blokes heads and it wouldn't have mattered, let alone a lumbering lump of a ruckman.
This is why I hope we see some changes this week to bolster midfield and forward line. Delivery/Fucntion will *look* like it has improved without actually improving.

Anyway like I said it's just my 2cents and I'm not going to go back and forth on an Internet forum. It won't get any of us anywhere.
I have a totally different idea about what Internet forums are for. I come here to discuss things. My stuff is always my 2 cents worth, and probably worth slightly less. Shooting the breeze

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have a totally different idea about what Internet forums are for. I come here to discuss things. My stuff is always my 2 cents worth, and probably worth slightly less. Shooting the breeze
This is why I personally don’t mind oppo supporters on here as long as they are respectful and follow the rules. Without everyone’s two cents and the conversation/debate it can create I reckon footy wouldn’t be anywhere near as fun.

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
Watching the rest of the game since I switched it off at half time. Was actually really impressed with Henry, who took a courageous grab. Frederick is raw and if he can sharpen some things up could be a serious A grader and if Chapman keeps playing like he did he will get a Rising Star nom.
The kids are alright.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Agree with the first but question the last ( I don't think you are entirely blaming the coach but it reads this way somewhat)
What if the plan was to go in small , work the ball forward but the Carlton pressure forced the players to panic and revert back to the 2016-18 Dockers and kick it up the line to a losing contest .
This is part of development.
It's not entirely the coaches fault
JLo now needs to use that failure as an educational tool to show the young ones what happens when you react to pressure .

If this becomes a common problem then you can say it is a coach failure But
I think we've seen enough positives in 2020 to say it isn't JLos intent
I have been disappointed with the coach’s work so far this season. He hasn’t managed to get his plan working, he hasn’t got selections and match ups right, and he has failed to address problems during the game. All my opinion of course. I don’t expect wins and at this stage of our team evolution under Longmuir they certainly aren’t everything. But things like those I listed above are coaching tangibles, and I think he should be scrutinized.

I have faith in Longmuir and don’t think he should be under undue pressure. He has done enough last season to suggest he is more than capable. But it is still a pretty fair journey from there to being a successful coach.

Purple Madness

Senior List
Mar 12, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bit of a difference between being a true forward your whole career compared to being chucked forward as a second option mostly because your tall. Big Sandi went forward alot later on in his career but I'd still call him a ruckman

vidwhal

Grade A Douchebag
Oct 4, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Knicks
Agreed. I'd be happy with anything - as long as there was a clear strategy and signs the players were trying to execute it. If it doesn't work because of personnel or skills, that's more forgivable.

The aimless Freo longbomb 2016 is still in full effect when we're placed under any kind of pressure.
To be fair, I only ever see most (if not all) clubs bomb it forward when they're put under significant pressure.

On AOSP on Manta using BigFooty.com mobile app

vidwhal

Grade A Douchebag
Oct 4, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Knicks
I would like to see more players on our team who HATE LOSING.
Son many of these guys seem to be non too bothered after losing. There’s a few exceptions like Serong and one or two others.
I notice heaps of AFL players lately across all clubs having an grand old laugh with the opposition immediately after the game and it’s just ******* disrespectful to fans.
Across all sports, you hear a lot about great players and teams who have fear of losing. If these guys want to be winners, they should be sulky and angry for a few days after a defeat. Desperate to find an edge to improve and win the next week.
Maybe it’s just me but if I was playing a game and lost in that manner Id want to get the fu** off the pitch ASAP and wouldn’t be in the mood to talk to anyone for about 2 days. Least of all the opposition that just got one up on me.
I agree with this. As a junior basketballer, I loathed losing and looked forward to the rematch to try n get my pound of flesh. If I was playing for Freo, I'd probably be a pretty sore loser heheh.

On AOSP on Manta using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
How many games have Wicks, Warner, Campbell etc played. If you aren’t good enough you aren’t good enough
Wicks has been around for about 4 years now. He’s 22 at least I’d say. Hardly an overnight success. Warner played several games last year too but has gone to a new level in 2021 alright.
Im optimistic that we will see some decent improvement from the likes of Henry and Frederick as the year progresses

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wicks has been around for about 4 years now. He’s 22 at least I’d say. Hardly an overnight success. Warner played several games last year too but has gone to a new level in 2021 alright.
Im optimistic that we will see some decent improvement from the likes of Henry and Frederick as the year progresses
Freddy has improved a lot from last year already. He’s a live wire and will be very dangerous in the forward half once we get our collective s**t together.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Bit of a difference between being a true forward your whole career compared to being chucked forward as a second option mostly because your tall. Big Sandi went forward alot later on in his career but I'd still call him a ruckman

Hale kicked 237 goals. That number would put him 4th on Fremantle's all time goal kicking list. That says he spent a lot of time playing forward.

Can you think of someone in the past 20 years who has a better record as a forward/ruck. Probably have to go right back to Steven Alessio.

Back