Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Club cricket update... as mentioned earlier the Southern Districts/Adelaide merger appears to have fallen over.

However now about 8 or 9 of Southern Districts' board members have resigned, including their president. I guess an untenable situation once the members voted against their recommendation to merge. I think that's the whole board.

Will be interesting to see if they have enough interested parties willing to put the time in to turn the club around. It's one thing to turn up and vote at a meeting and vent on Facebook, quite another to invest the required hours at the coal face.

Often for clubs in this situation there is a bit of a tremor through the playing group - either players deciding to leave rather than ride it out (rats jumping off a sinking ship) or other clubs targeting their players, sensing easy prey.

They've had international Carl Hooper coaching them who I'm sure is a very good coach but I doubt has deep community relations in the area or long term relationships with the players to keep things together through this.

SACA may get their reduced number of clubs after all.

If the Redbacks go through the season without a win in either format then you'd think this would strengthen SACA's case to amend the constitution and allow them the power to reduce the number of grade clubs. Would SACA members really vote against it again? I think we've won 9 wooden spoons in the 12 years since the proposal was voted against last time.
Thanks for the update mate.

I can't say that I am surprised. Were the Southern Districts members asked if they would rather fold than merge?

If Southern Districts did fold, would it be reasonable to assume that Glenelg would take over their zone for junior development?

Also, on the last question of the SACA members voting against amending the constitution and give them the power to reduce the number of grade clubs, I would be stunned if the members voted for it, as much as it appears to be necessary. I am rather cynical about how much they care about the on field performance of the team, or the development of players in this state. I am not even sure that the SACA would present such a case in the first place.

Club cricket update... as mentioned earlier the Southern Districts/Adelaide merger appears to have fallen over.

However now about 8 or 9 of Southern Districts' board members have resigned, including their president. I guess an untenable situation once the members voted against their recommendation to merge. I think that's the whole board.

Will be interesting to see if they have enough interested parties willing to put the time in to turn the club around. It's one thing to turn up and vote at a meeting and vent on Facebook, quite another to invest the required hours at the coal face.

Often for clubs in this situation there is a bit of a tremor through the playing group - either players deciding to leave rather than ride it out (rats jumping off a sinking ship) or other clubs targeting their players, sensing easy prey.

They've had international Carl Hooper coaching them who I'm sure is a very good coach but I doubt has deep community relations in the area or long term relationships with the players to keep things together through this.

SACA may get their reduced number of clubs after all.

If the Redbacks go through the season without a win in either format then you'd think this would strengthen SACA's case to amend the constitution and allow them the power to reduce the number of grade clubs. Would SACA members really vote against it again? I think we've won 9 wooden spoons in the 12 years since the proposal was voted against last time.
I bet not one of those members ever put their hand up to do anything.

I've noticed alot in community entities, too few people put their hand up to actually do anything, but are the first to have a whinge when things aren't what they want.

Bob Holland
Jon Holland
Dirk Welham
Murray Bennett
Wayne N Phillips(Not Flipper)
Rob Quiney
Joe Mennie
Mike Valetta
Robbie Kerr
Scott Muller

How is that?
Bryce McGain unlucky not to pip Dutchy Holland. 1 test 0/149 from 18 overs and made 2 runs for twice out.
Dutchy took 3 x 5 for and 2 x 10 for in 11 tests.
Callum Ferguson a bit stiff not to make your side also.

Bob Holland
Jon Holland
Dirk Welham
Murray Bennett
Rob Quiney
Joe Mennie
Mike Valetta
Robbie Kerr
Scott Muller

How is that?
Mike Valetta was part of our world cup winning team in India... so harsh.

Bob Holland
Jon Holland
Dirk Welham
Murray Bennett
Rob Quiney
Joe Mennie
Mike Valetta
Robbie Kerr
Scott Muller

How is that?
No room in your list for Mitch Marsh? For a while he was the world's worst #6 batsman, in all of international test match history. He's still the 3rd worst.

Bob Holland
Jon Holland
Dirk Welham
Murray Bennett
Rob Quiney
Joe Mennie
Mike Valetta
Robbie Kerr
Scott Muller

How is that?
Bob Holland who won 2 test matches for Australia? That's terrible.

Therefore he took 1.5 wickets per test for other 9 tests of his career. I would suspect the 2 tests where he took 10 wickets in a Test is the exception not the rule. I am happy with my pick.
You could take Bryce McGain, Michael Beer, Xavier Doherty and Cameron White from just the last 20 years.

No room in your list for Mitch Marsh? For a while he was the world's worst #6 batsman, in all of international test match history. He's still the 3rd worst.
I thought about it, but it was probably a bit too obvious, and frankly a bit trendy. Is the 4th worst professional sportsperson in his immediate family, and the 5th worst in his extended family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could take Bryce McGain, Michael Beer, Xavier Doherty and Cameron White from just the last 20 years.
I'd also consider Nic Maddinson for sure
Greg Campbell
Possibly a bit early to day that yet about Maddinson, though he may end up in this sort of discussion. All the others are worthy of being talked about in the same breath. Could also add Chris Matthews in there.

I thought about it, but it was probably a bit too obvious, and frankly a bit trendy. Is the 4th worst professional sportsperson in his immediate family, and the 5th worst in his extended family.

Who are the worse members of the Marsh extended family?

Who are the worse members of the Marsh extended family?
Sorry, I meant to say that he the worst out of all 5 professional sportspeople of the Marsh extended family. Thank you for the correction.

Mick Lewis
Clint McKay
Rob Quinney
Chris Matthews
Shaun Young
Glen Trimble
Robbie Kerr

Bob Holland's match winning test in Sydney vs the West Indies in 1984-85 is one of my earliest cricket memories

I think the famed "Murray Bennett arm ball" was in the same test, got Viv Richards I think?

Roy and HG always said that Ray Bright was the worst cricketer who'd played semi regularly for Australia. "Barely competent left arm orthodox spinner, terrible batsman, even worse fieldsman and struggled with the drinks"

I'd need to see the partners of Rod or Geoff in the nets to be 100% sure, but sight unseen I'm prepared to risk calling Mitch the worst in the extended families.
Sorry to reign on the parade, at my expense, but Rod and Mitch are not related.

Bob Holland's match winning test in Sydney vs the West Indies in 1984-85 is one of my earliest cricket memories

I think the famed "Murray Bennett arm ball" was in the same test, got Viv Richards I think?

Roy and HG always said that Ray Bright was the worst cricketer who'd played semi regularly for Australia. "Barely competent left arm orthodox spinner, terrible batsman, even worse fieldsman and struggled with the drinks"

Bright just bowled flat, nude nuts, no flight and even less turn. In saying that though, reckon he took a fiver in the second innings of the tied test in Madras...Indian players must have been so knackered they must have seen more than one ball and hit the wrong one. Even in shield has was nothing more than tidy...and his fielding, more than once I heard a bowler yell "*", when the skied ball was going to old shaky knees at point

Bob Holland
Jon Holland
Dirk Welham
Murray Bennett
Rob Quiney
Joe Mennie
Mike Valetta
Robbie Kerr
Scott Muller

How is that?
I’ll show my age here...

I present to you, from Victoria with a single test average of 4.5, middle order batsman, LES JOSLIN!

One test in 1968 against India and more at sea against Indian spinners than theTitanic was against icebergs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back