Preview Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs, Round 4, Saturday April 10, 1:35 PM, MARS Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that was the shining light of Stef's ruckwork in a pure sense. The boundary stoppages in the forward line.

Stef got in front and whacked it to his left and the result was more about Lachie's incredible skill to pick up the ball in one go and spin out of any congestion.

But I do think the thing we miss about Stef is his competitiveness. Never beaten, always barrelling into the opposition and the stamina to be going stronger at the end of games than in the beginning. He's probably got two good years left in him imo and we made a misstep in letting him go ,even though it was understandable at the time.

Every Lions supporter loves Stef. It was just the covid storm that resulted in him not getting another year.

I know Bruce kicked 10 last week but on anything I've ever seen Naughton is more dangerous, more athletic ,more skilful.

Bruce must have stuck a few marks last week ,he generally drops them.

Adams ,Andrews, Gardiner and perhaps others are more than competitive with the dogs talls. English can take a couple of marks but hardly ever when he's genuinely pressured by a good opponent.

Assuming our 3 big potential ins are fit and Lachie plays:

In: Gardiner, McInerney, J. Berry, Answerth
Out: Lester, Payne, Ballenden, Fullarton

B: Adams Andrews Starcevich
HB: Birchall Gardiner Rich
C: Robinson Zorko McCluggage
HF: Bailey Hipwood Cameron
F: McCarthy Daniher T. Berry
R: McInerney Neale Lyons
I: J. Berry Ah Chee Answerth Robertson
S: Lester

Really feels harsh to have four outs from a side that wins like that but can't see those changes not being positive.

Lester really, really unlucky but his flexibility legitimately makes him the perfect sub. Toss up between him and Adams to miss but I thought Adams was sensational when the game was on the last week and he's a better match up for the Dogs forwards. Payne also very unlucky but I still lean towards Adams.

Bont gonna be a thorn in our side. Berry to go head to head with a defensive focus in the midfield, Gardiner to take him when he's up forward.
Gardiner to Naughton, Adams to Bruce, Harris intercepting and assisting then taking Naughton when Bont is forward.

Pressure, pressure, pressure. Zorko, Cameron, Bailey, Berries, Robertson, Ah Chee and Answerth all in particular need to be applying it constantly and tackling with intensity. Every handball needs to be under pressure. Every receiver should be preparing to wear a tackle from a closing player and make sure they're sticking.

Rob them of clean possessions and that handball game, force the to kick hurried and I think even if it's wet we set up well enough to nullify in the air and they don't have great small forward options to worry about.

If we're winning the ball and putting it in long their key defenders could get panicked. Won't outmark us and I think our small forwards have the ground ball edge against the dogs defensive unit.

Nervous, the midfield battle is gonna be pivotal but still feel we will win this.

Lions by 23.
Just add one ingredient to this.
Kick to our advantage and not theirs or they wil out mark us and run away with it.

Just add one ingredient to this.
Kick to our advantage and not theirs or they wil out mark us and run away with it.

I think even if the kicks aren't perfect our talls can create a contest and our smalls will benefit from and their defence doesn't have the stoppers. Still depends on winning that midfield ball though.

Not a lot of respect being shown on the Bulldogs board, which is fine, but some of their comments are laughable.

Completely fine going in as underdogs, will make the win so much sweeter.
To be fair when you start a season and haven’t lost you can’t comprehend a loss because it hasn’t happened yet

Gardner at 197cm & 93KG has been quite good for the Dogs this year and he will be missed down back for them.
I believe the only other defender playing this year above 190cm is Keith at 197cm & 93 KG.
They have Cordy at 193cm & 90 KG who played last year but no games in 2021.

Last year the Dogs supporters predicted whoever Gardner marked for the Lions would kick 10. They weren't far off in that regard
That's how bad their supporters rated him last year
But he gradually got better during the year and played every game from round 11 (Lions) for the year. Also played round 1 & 2.
Yeah Gardiner is a regular whipping boy for the Dogs. He’s out with an AC and word is Lewis Young will just pip Zaine Cordy for the spot and get called up.
Gardiner out doesn’t matter as he is so s**t anyone coming in is going to do just as well.
The Bulldogs to main drivers are Caleb Daniel and Bailey Williams both playing off half back and both in career best form.
Look for the Bulldogs to spread sideways with lightening handballs and if you can setup to stop that you stop the dogs.
Can’t wait for the game! should be a cracker!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a lot of respect being shown on the Bulldogs board, which is fine, but some of their comments are laughable.

Completely fine going in as underdogs, will make the win so much sweeter.
Why would you subject yourself to the ravings of those slack-jawed yokels? My dentist's drill is much more pleasant.

To be fair when you start a season and haven’t lost you can’t comprehend a loss because it hasn’t happened yet
Could we be or do what Essendon did to us when we were unbeaten come round 4 in 2019 .
That was a shock to my system , I remember that , we were flying before that game.

Weather will be a factor. We surprisingly play OK on the wet, given that we tend not to adjust too much and still play very tall.

If it's dry, our 200cm plus forward line can use those advantages over a significantly shorter Dogs backline handily, which should give us the edge. If it's wet... less so.

If it's really wet I'd bring in Matho for Fullarton. Daniher will have to second ruck.

Even if Matho plays forward the extra contested ball winner would still be really handy

If it's really wet I'd bring in Matho for Fullarton. Daniher will have to second ruck.

Even if Matho plays forward the extra contested ball winner would still be really handy
A couple of head high frees could be handy as well
D8EAAAFE-9023-4FF5-BCD3-A183D4090D3A.gif

That would depend on whether Oscar gets up for the game.

If Oscar isn't playing and it is really wet I'd probably want to ruck Daniher and Ballenden anyway. Need a bigger body to stop Stef from just thumping it forward 20m at each ruch contest and to throw their weight around ground level.

If Oscar isn't playing and it is really wet I'd probably want to ruck Daniher and Ballenden anyway. Need a bigger body to stop Stef from just thumping it forward 20m at each ruch contest and to throw their weight around ground level.
The work at ground level in the wet would be more important than the ruck contest itself and Fullarton is far Superior in this area of the game than Ballenden. So I would be very surprised if Ballas was picked over Fullarton.

The work at ground level in the wet would be more important than the ruck contest itself and Fullarton is far Superior in this area of the game than Ballenden. So I would be very surprised if Ballas was picked over Fullarton.

Superior in dry conditions but he's too soft for a slog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back